Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan relations - what is it fans want us to do that we are not?

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Yes, but this poll only had about 100 people vote in it. Hardly a significant enough number of voices to determine an obscure character going into production. This is a perfect example of fans being louder then they are numerious.
    Perhaps an official Mattel poll would garner more accurate results, hmm?

I'm not saying she should be made right away, as there are far more important female characters that need to be done first. I just wanted to point out that there are fans out there beyond He-Man.Org that want her, however few in number they may be.

Besides, just because you don't think she's popular or well known doesn't mean she'd sell poorly. Just look at how well Gygor sold, a character few people knew about or cared for 2 years ago.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; January 9, 2011 at 11:01pm.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    We already have paid members of our staff who are experts on the brand and we already pay the Horsemen to design the Classics figures. The Horsemen have expressed no interest in subcontracting the designs of MOTUC toys out to any other artists. They love what they do too much, why would they bring in other arists when they have a great gig already and are doing a great job? If we ever need an extra opinion we have Val and Emiliano's email. I have offered both of them the chance to send in their resume and both have declined.

Right now we have a very qualified staff of designers and managers on the line.
    THAT explains why the bios are so clear and exhibit such well-told stories and are never in need of revision...

And if the art on the 2-packs was a DC call, what do artists have to do with what Mattel is currently doing? Has there been any new art?

The only art of note is in the bios and in the art book...all of which are over 20 years old.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Yes but we can't go into production on another batch of any toy when we have some inventory remaining of a previous run. To manage expectations I can tell you we will indeed need to sell off the remaining customer service stock before going into a second run, even with Goddess having some production issues. Not every unit has production issues and like with any sale, we hold stock for returns and damaged goods, so just like with the first sale, if and when we sell off the remaining stock of Goddess if you have a damaged product you can always exchange it for a new one.

Put it this way: we're not interested in rushing Illumina to a figure simply because there is so much greater demand for other female figures like Marlena, Sweetbee, Sorceress, the Star Sisters, Frosta, Netossa, Catra and more. We'd much rather use our female slots for these type of figures compared to a character who is known mostly for an appearance on a promo ad for a canceled comic book series.

Again, you never know what will happen and perhaps the line will go on long enough that is makes sense to put her in. But as I stated above, don't count on it anytime soon. She may have a small but very vocal following here on He-Man.org, but she isn't a character the is demanded on any other site but this one.
    Thanks for the great honest answers, they make perfect sense. Your right, I would love to have a Illumina figure and her cat, but not before Marlena, Soceress, Frosta and others you mentioned. Just add her to your list for down the line. And while we are being honest, if a Catra is made down the road, is it possible to get her large cat transformation as well, or is that a Filmation only thing?

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe the policy listed on Mattycollector.com notes their is something like a 60 - 90 fay period for returns and exchanges.
    That's hardly a solution for those of us who's Goddess fell apart after sitting on a shelf, untouched, for 6-9 months...
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic ursine warrior sailoruranus's Avatar
    Perhaps, if you are trying to figure out how you're alienating yourself from the fans, you can take a look at the response you gave me. Thanks.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Put it this way: we're not interested in rushing Illumina to a figure simply because there is so much greater demand for other female figures like Marlena, Sweetbee, Sorceress, the Star Sisters, Frosta, Netossa, Catra and more. We'd much rather use our female slots for these type of figures compared to a character who is known mostly for an appearance on a promo ad for a canceled comic book series.
    I agree with this completely. I don't get the hype for such an obscure character that means barely anything to MOTU when there is so many more important things to be tended to.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

How about this, TG.
    You want fan support and appreciate our input why not offer to have a MattyCollector banner like some sites have posted on this site for those who want to jump over to Matty from here. Kinda like Poe Ghostal has for Enchanted Toychest. 1 exclusive reveal a year on here would also not be a bad choice and still will drive ppl to your site as well. I for one like to see comments from both sides of the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I agree with this completely. I don't get the hype for such an obscure character that means barely anything to MOTU when there is so many more important things to be tended to.
    I feel the same way about Vikor.

Heroic Warrior
    @ Toyguru:

Make more official polls on your site... Most current polls come from the fans

It would increase the interactivity on the board and would draw more attention to your site, because it would come directly from Mattel...

Such actions would help standing mattycollector out and clearify, that Mattel is constantly interested in fans` demand...

And:

The poll results would avoid producing non-well-selling products like the art prints in your store...
    Last edited by Berserker79; January 9, 2011 at 11:09pm.

I would like Mattel to work up a list of possible characters that can be made into figures with photos and keep it active on the Matty boards. I hate using the search function, primarily because I am not very skilled at finding what I need, and this would help avoid people asking if so and so from XYZ media could be made. It would also keep me excited to see all the figures that I have to look forward to from this great line.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Exactly.. That was a piece of art that was tied to the brand but never beyond it's initial image even though it had a bit of a fleshed out story. Gygor was the same.
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

Honestly, for the record Mattel does not have a rift with anyone. We love that the He-Man.org crew has kept the fan fires burning. But in the end, they are a fan site and as stated, our goal is to drive traffic to our site Mattycollector.com, not any fan site over any other.

We also don't have a "fan consultant" paid position to offer. We do keep a list of Alpha Fans for almost all of our collector properties (like DCU or GB) and we do call these fans every so often to ask their thoughts. There are quite a few members of the MOTU brand team that are huge fans and know the property inside and out. It is there job to run the line and they are more then qualified to do this. If we ever do need an fan opinion we have all of the Gooble Dinner hosts on speed dial.

I've offered to pass along resumes for both Val and Emilliano and both have turned me down multiple times. The best way to work on a Mattel brand like MOTU is to come work for Mattel. I can't say it any plainer then that. We are not refusing to work with them, on the contrary I've asked them both if they want to apply to Mattel and neither one wants to for various reasons.

We have no beef with anyone running any fan site including this one. But we also don't have an open rec for a "fan consultant". (we'd rather put all the fund we can into the product, especially when we have multiple members of the brand team who are experts on the brand and one of the perks of their job is to work on character designs and roll out.

If any He-Man fan wants to consider working on the brand, they really need to apply to Mattel. You can see a full list of open positions on Mattel.com.
    Scott, with all due respect, I have to say that again, this is a good point on the lacking fan relation that Mattel has. I posted a long post with a ton of really good points, and you choose just this one tiny sliver to reply to.

In response to your reply:

Who said anything about a paid position? Val and Emil have said numerous times that they would offer their services up for free if it meant better product for the fans. What reason, other than a personal beef with someone at Mattel, could Mattel pass up that offer from such professionals? I've yet to hear a good reason.

In response to the vast amount of stuff that you didn't reply to:

What about being honest with the fans?

What about my proof of Mattel interaction with fans for 200x?

What about giving fans what they want (MV Bible) as opposed to giving us the same lines you have time and time again?

What you said is "we have no beef with Val and Emiliano." What the fans hear is "we have no beef with them, but anything they created is no good for us (bible and Illumina)."

You state that you have MOTU experts on staff at Mattel. I have no doubt about that, but what I do doubt is their level of expertise when placed next to someone like Emiliano. I don't mean to put Emiliano on the spot, but I'd be willing to put him up against the team there any day, and would bet that Emiliano would blow them out of the water.

While we've joked about it in private, I feel that this is the case. If you're so sure about your expert's knowledge, why don't you set something up at SDCC 2011? A Mattel vs. He-Man.org trivia challenge would be tons of fun. If Mattel has all these experts that you keep raving about, then surely you'd come out on top, but either way it'd be highly entertaining for the fans!

Please excuse me if this post comes off as harsh, but I feel slighted by your choice of what to reply to, and what to sweep under the rug as if it was never brought up.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    That's cool, everyone has their preferences and opinions when it comes to MOTU and it's various eras and media. But at least "Vikor" means a lot more to MOTU's history than "Illumina".
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

That's cool, everyone has their preferences and opinions when it comes to MOTU and it's various eras and media. But at least "Vikor" means a lot more to MOTU's history than "Illumina".
    Everyone should be able to have their own opinions - I agree with you on that.

As for Vikor meaning a lot more to MOTU's history - yes he was the concept that started the whole thing, but on the same note we'll never know how important to they mythology Illumina actually is because Mattel won't let anyone release anything having to do with her story and her role in the 'verse beyond a vague description of what her powers are.

I agree with you on that. I do want Illumina, but as TG stated there are far more important characters that fans have demanded that I would prefer to see long before her. I just want a solid yes or no - whether we will see her in the line at all.

you want to drive people to mattycollector.com, that's fine. but what do you do with your own site to do that? The last reveals I remember wre King Hsss packaged and DCUC 17. Those were both on facebook, I checked and can't find them on your site.

Everyone, please. Let's not get angry. Push out the hate, bring in the love!

Scott, thank you for this thread.

I have some ideas I'd like to run by ya maybe tomorrow in this thread, if I may.

But for now, I'm more curious about where the other fans stand and am letting them speak.
    This is their home too, so their opinions are important to me.

I'd like to touch on a few things, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    The Horsemen have expressed no interest in subcontracting the designs of MOTUC toys out to any other artists. They love what they do too much, why would they bring in other arists when they have a great gig already and are doing a great job?
    I have a hard time believing the Four Horsemen would not like to have the option of being able to consult directly with Emiliano.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but that just doesn't sound like the guys we've been friends with for 10 years.

Emiliano isn't looking to take their jobs. As he said on the podcast, he just wants to be able to lend a hand with all the information and resources he has available to him.

Everything has to run through Mattel Legal anyway when the 4H produce it, right?
    So a simple NDA with the 4H, one with Mattel, and perhaps an independent contractor agreement between Mattel and Emiliano with assignment of copyright of his designs over to Mattel, and we're almost there.

Yes, but this poll only had about 100 people vote in it. Hardly a significant enough number of voices to determine an obscure character going into production. This is a perfect example of fans being louder then they are numerious.
    I'm happy to do a poll on the main page of He-Man.org.

I'm glad the door is open for her. I'd rather have Marlena and a few others first too. But, I think it's wrong to assume she wouldn't be a good seller just because of her obscurity.

She's no more obscure than Vikor, or Demo-Man or Gygor. Those types of concept figures are going to be bought by hardcore fans, no matter how they tie into the history of the brand. If anything, more fans here on He-Man.org know Illumina better from the past half a decade of fan discussion than they do Vikor or Demo-Man.

If you wrote up a cool bio for her, and hyped her just as much as any other MOTUC figure, she will sell out.

I've offered to pass along resumes for both Val and Emilliano and both have turned me down multiple times. The best way to work on a Mattel brand like MOTU is to come work for Mattel. I can't say it any plainer then that. We are not refusing to work with them, on the contrary I've asked them both if they want to apply to Mattel and neither one wants to for various reasons.
    Please don't be upset, but that's not accurate. We definitely did not turn you down multiple times.
    Maybe there have been some lost e-mails.

I said I didn't want to come work at Mattel, but I did say I would love to be a freelance contractor.

You told me that you have to be an employee to write the bios (which, no offense intended, makes zero sense especially when freelance writing is common place in entertainment. Many of the original mini-comics were written by freelancers. Even the MYP cartoon had freelance writers employeed to write the scripts that routinely crossed the desks of Mattel Entertainment).

But you said that artists and sculptors could be freelance vendors.
    When I made inquires on how to move forward on this, I never got any instruction.
    We've even offered some of our services for free!

But keep in mind, we already worked as freelance vendors for Mattel, doing the pack-in comic for the Target 2-pack, and the box art for that 2-pack and another that never came out,
    as well as the Retro Styleguide, the K-Mart pack-in cards and a Hotwheels promotional comic.
    We should be in the system and ready for you to utilize.

You say there's no consultant positions. Well, why not make them?
    It's not like the position has to be an on-site employee that makes 50K a year.
    I default back to being a freelance contractor, and I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind being paid off in chickens!

I also told you Emiliano would submit a resume, and I asked some questions about this. I never got a reply to that either.

Is this all just whacky miscommunication? All of it? All the problems?
    This is one of the many reasons I wish we were all working together.

Let me ask you this, and please give me a serious answer.
    If I submitted my resume, is there an actual chance of my being hired to work on MOTUC?
    If so, I'll do it.
    If I can come work at Mattel, and work for the MOTUC team, and do what part I can to hopefully bring harmony to everything, I'll do it.

You mean like figures for Gygor, Vikor, and Preternia He-man....? Yeah, those guys had TONS more exposure to the public and a larger fan base than Illumina.

Illumina could easily be a He-Man.org exclusive figure and would make tons of people on here very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    Illumina could easily be a He-Man.org exclusive figure and would make tons of people on here very happy.
    FINALLY someone other than me saying this!!! I've said it at least twice in this thread alone.

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Everyone, please. Let's not get angry. Push out the hate, bring in the love!

Scott, thank you for this thread.

I have some ideas I'd like to run by ya maybe tomorrow in this thread, if I may.

But for now, I'm more curious about where the other fans stand and am letting them speak.
    This is their home too, so their opinions are important to me.

I'd like to touch on a few things, though.

I have a hard time believing the Four Horsemen would not like to have the option of being able to consult directly with Emiliano.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but that just doesn't sound like the guys we've been friends with for 10 years.

Emiliano isn't looking to take their jobs. As he said on the podcast, he just wants to be able to lend a hand with all the information and resources he has available to him.

Everything has to run through Mattel Legal anyway when the 4H produce it, right?
    So a simple NDA with the 4H, one with Mattel, and perhaps an independent contractor agreement between Mattel and Emiliano with assignment of copyright of his designs over to Mattel, and we're almost there.

I'm happy to do a poll on the main page of He-Man.org.

I'm glad the door is open for her. I'd rather have Marlena and a few others first too. But, I think it's wrong to assume she wouldn't be a good seller just because of her obscurity.

She's no more obscure than Vikor, or Demo-Man or Gygor. Those types of concept figures are going to be bought by hardcore fans, no matter how they tie into the history of the brand. If anything, more fans here on He-Man.org know Illumina better from the past half a decade of fan discussion than they do Vikor or Demo-Man.

If you wrote up a cool bio for her, and hyped her just as much as any other MOTUC figure, she will sell out.

Please don't be upset, but that's not accurate. We definitely did not turn you down multiple times.
    Maybe there have been some lost e-mails.

I said I didn't want to come work at Mattel, but I did say I would love to be a freelance contractor.

You told me that you have to be an employee to write the bios (which, no offense intended, makes zero sense especially when freelance writing is common place in entertainment. Many of the original mini-comics were written by freelancers. Even the MYP cartoon had freelance writers employeed to write the scripts that routinely crossed the desks of Mattel Entertainment).

But you said that artists and sculptors could be freelance vendors.
    When I made inquires on how to move forward on this, I never got any instruction.
    We've even offered some of our services for free!

But keep in mind, we already worked as freelance vendors for Mattel, doing the pack-in comic for the Target 2-pack, and the box art for that 2-pack and another that never came out,
    as well as the Retro Styleguide, the K-Mart pack-in cards and a Hotwheels promotional comic.
    We should be in the system and ready for you to utilize.

You say there's no consultant positions. Well, why not make them?
    It's not like the position has to be an on-site employee that makes 50K a year.
    I default back to being a freelance contractor, and I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind being paid off in chickens!

I also told you Emiliano would submit a resume, and I asked some questions about this. I never got a reply to that either.

Is this all just whacky miscommunication? All of it? All the problems?
    This is one of the many reasons I wish we were all working together.

Let me ask you this, and please give me a serious answer.
    If I submitted my resume, is there an actual chance of my being hired to work on MOTUC?
    If so, I'll do it.
    If I can come work at Mattel, and work for the MOTUC team, and do what part I can to hopefully bring harmony to everything, I'll do it.

I think the catch is that the positions you and Emiliano are interested in have been filled.

The position of Brand Manager for the line is held by myself and the position of toy designer is filled by the Four Horsemen. I can understand you thinking the Horsemen "would have a hard time not wanting Emiliano's help" but in the end the Horsemen really enjoy designing MOTU characters themselves. It is what we pay them for. The job of MOTU designer is already taken and we are not looking for a second designer right now. The Horsemen have it covered and are doing a great job. It would be like a Colorist calling you and saying, "I know you are a colorist, but I am the world's biggest expert in coloring so let me do your job for you."

We respect that you and Emiliano know a lot about the brand. But so do the Horsemen and our brand team. If we ever get stumped we will call you. In a way it does make you a "consultant", we honestly just don't need that much help with great designers like the Horsemen and a great team that knows a ton about MOTU.

My first gig with Mattel was working as a writer in the Hot Wheels department on basic cars and track sets. I applied to Mattel, got a job and through my passion and work was able to work my way over to the MOTUC brand manager position.

I have offered both you and Emiliano multiple times the offer to pass along your resume. There is not currently an opening on the MOTUC or Mattycollector brand, but if you really want to work on the line, the best bet is to first apply to Mattel and let it work itself from there. Mattel is a great company to work for and has a way of moving people into positions they are passionate about, but I can tell you there is no current open rec on the MOTUC brand. But that doesn't mean you can't still apply to Mattel just as I did and work your way to where you want to be. Anything is possible if you can dream it! That's what a company like Mattel is all about.

I understand your desire to be a freelance consultant, but that position is not available. We already have quite a few brand experts on staff. If we are ever stumped or need a deeper insight you are on speed dial. But there is no lack of MOTU fans already on staff these days. As much as you and Emiliano are big fans, so are several Mattel employees. This isn't 2002 anymore when we didn't have as many experts on staff (and had to reach out to the fan community a bit more). Today things are much different and we have MOTU experts on staff already, so there isn't a consultant position available or even needed.

It doesn't mean we might not post or call if something comes up, but we've got the MOTU expert field covered in full already.

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    FINALLY someone other than me saying this!!! I've said it at least twice in this thread alone.
    Yes, but this is counter to our goal of driving people to Mattycollector.com. We have no desire to sell Mattycollector.com exclusive brands on other sites. It defeats the purpose of driving fans and consumers to our site.
    Last edited by Toyguru; January 10, 2011 at 12:35am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Scott,

While I do appreciate your replies to everyone, I have to ask you to please not pass up replying to my points again. I believe them to be valid to the question that you asked, and need addressing.

Thank you,
    John
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    you want to drive people to mattycollector.com, that's fine. but what do you do with your own site to do that? The last reveals I remember wre King Hsss packaged and DCUC 17. Those were both on facebook, I checked and can't find them on your site.
    Facebook is part of the overall Mattycollector.com experience and Facebook lets us do things that the mainsite can not do.

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    Don't worry, I got your back. Matty could do this as an Org exclusive and say "Thank you to all of you at He-Man.org for your years of continued support. We are offering this exclusive to all our He-Fans on the Org."

Something like that would be an amazing olive branch extended to heal any sort of ill will that people feel between the Org and Mattel.

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post

You state that you have MOTU experts on staff at Mattel. I have no doubt about that, but what I do doubt is their level of expertise when placed next to someone like Emiliano. I don't mean to put Emiliano on the spot, but I'd be willing to put him up against the team there any day, and would bet that Emiliano would blow them out of the water.
    I have no doubt Emiliano knows a lot about the brand. And if our staff is ever stumped I have his direct email. In a way, I guess you can say Val and Emilano are our online experts and "consultants" but with so many MOTU experts on staff these days we just don't need them that much these days. Our staff knows there stuff.

You want to improve fan relations?

Well considering that He.Man.org has several thousand registered members, (and some of the most vocal ones you will ever interact with) as suggested, why not do a He-Man.org Exclusive figure? And run a poll. I'll bet it will sell out every year from now until the line ends.

Heck, run a fan contest like the one back in the 80s. Have you seen what Royal1tus does on here? It's pure MOTU magic.

More fan polls and more fan interaction. I suppose improving digital river/online ordering would be nice too. I hear that ticks alot of people off. Sorry, but that's all I have to add to this.

Peace
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 10, 2011 at 12:28am.