Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan relations - what is it fans want us to do that we are not?

Quote Originally Posted by mk476 View Post
    That thought has haunted me for years!

Thanks, Scott, for all these answers and thoughts.

They almost sort of did, in either the Wraiths in the cartoon, or in the dark woman shadow in the MVC comic, there is a slight loop hole that they can do a Shadow Weaver-esq figure, but I'm assuming they don't want to rock the apple cart, however it is perfectly legal to do almost a spitting image of Adora from filmation. I know style guide? Right. Ok I'll digress. Adam's smirking face that looks filmation like was never in any style guide, I'm just confused as to why liberties are taken with some things and not with others. I went ahead and made my own Shadow Weaver figure so it doesn't matter to me anymore, I literally would feel like my collection is technically incomplete without her.

But now on topic-
    Scott, you personally and Catra's Wrath and Eve of Destruction do an amazing job on PR, (fan relations) for the most part, so I have no complaints there. I'm pretty sure that's the question you put forth in the heading of this thread. So on a scale of 1-10 I'd give you guys a 9.

Now if I were to post on my issues w/Mattel or the brand, (are we talking MOTUC specifically) I can offer you this.

1. First and foremost DR and their site and their foul-ups, (i.e., Buzz-off delay with shipping for sub-holders) need to be addressed, ... quickly. As someone had said 2 years is long enough to expect the "machine" to run correctly.

2. Perhaps a mixed bag of throwing out names when a sub is ordered, such as "Hey everyone order your 2012 sub @ comic con and receive a free T-Shirt or some swag, or a mini-comic, (repro of course), And then " the sub may include, Mantenna, Perfuma, special guests such as Ram-Man, Tung-Lashor and Nocturna, as always fan's no promises but these are up in the air for next year." Something like that would be better than nothing. Because committing to a subscription for over 800.00 including shipping with 9 figures 4 variants, and 3 beasts/vehicles sight unseen is difficult, as some posters have said. It was also said there would only be variants "quarterly", if that's true, isn't Vikor a variant? Technically?

3. Quality control Roboto, nuff said. I turn a blind eye to a paint smear there or a cloudy piece here, but he was not good.

4. You don't have to give the org all exclusive content, but some would be nice, it would be nice to show appreciation to Val and Emiliano for running this site by getting traffic to come here too, for example, for reveal of the quarterly variant in the Spring, come by and say something to the effect of, "Hey orgers, can't go into too much detail right now but our next variant will be such a tool". Hinting @ Buzz- "Saw", Hordak of course. Just using that as an example. (Edit: I apologize Scott I just noticed your tidbit about the Keldor Swords.) Thank you for that.

5. Finally, some other media besides the bio's for us to get into MOTU lore, I know the demand is there, and legally Mattel owns a big chunk of the property, there is a score of things you are able to do to put in the hands of the fans, a web-comic, an archive, a launch of a monthly comic, direct to DVD MYP episodes, (I know the look, it's retired, but maybe done in classic style animation?, just with MYP mythos?) Anything more would be helpful, I'll pay, I got money, we all would... probably.

That's all that's bugging me personally with MOTUC.
    I don't like to be all complaints and negativity either so I'd like to say what I love.

1.I love the little nods to 200x series with weapons, anything stylized, or referenced in the bio's.

2. I love that you do use the style guide for your POP characters, (up there wans't a complaint btw, just don't know how your able to do it is all.) I never liked the OG toy designs, I always thought they were bland.

3. Four Horseman, and their employment by Mattel, nuff said. Everybody pretty much win's there.

4. Character selection for the most part is good. And getting re-releases out fast enough too.

5. The way the pre-oder system was implemented at comic-con last year.

6. You, and Catra's Wrath, and Eve of Destruction on Matty, it's nice that you chime in quite a bit. Also you obvious love for the brand as well.

At any rate my rant is over, but I seized the chance to let my voice be heard for the good and bad.
    Last edited by Blaster; January 10, 2011 at 03:19am.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Not sure if its been mentioned as i havent read all of the posts but it was stated with the subscription that they would look at giving some incentives and the only bonus material we have recieved is a map. Bonus coupon for B.C. which was crap as of the fast sell-out on the first release.

The only incentive of the sub is avoiding the matty site on sale date, but then im paying more in postage as not everything is available with the ALL in sub.

International shipping really needs a 3rd option for shipping, a cheaper trackable option.

Loose ankles are really annoying, should of been fixed by now and crappy paint jobs (for a adult collectors line plus the amount of $ we are paying especially for international fans).
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    And maybe one day it will happen. But right now we have more fan demanded figures in the wings. She just is not a priority. Hey who knows, maybe she will become the "Ice Cream Maker Guy" of MOTUC. You never know!
    "Ice Cream Maker Guy?"

That's great, Scott, score another one for you. Let's pee all over MVCreations some more. That will definitely win you favor.

Because we want to drive all MOTUC purchases to Mattycollector.com to build the brand. It is counter intuitive to sell our exclusive brands on other sites, especially a fan site or another online retailer. It would dilute both the MOTUC and Mattycollector.com brands.
    No it's NOT counterintuitive.

That makes no sense.

You do ads in ToyFare Magazine. You've done exclusives via ToyFare magazine in the past.

Selling an exclusive would not "dilute" the brand. Selling an exclusive on the site you USED TO LAUNCH THIS LINE would be a gesture of good will that might make people a little less p-o'd when paint apps stink, or when their Goddess figure's legs fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    Thank you. I'm just sad that it didn't get the reply that it deserves.
    Shocker.

Okay all! Thanks so much for the great feedback. I did see a few very actionable items like more official polls, link banners, bigger images and items like that. I'll get the team looking into this ASAP.

Please do feel free to post any other ideas like this or suggestions of what we can do based around the brand guidelines I mentioned. We do want to be close to the fan sites and He-Man.org is clearly a great place for MOTU fans to gather online. Mattycollector.com will continue to be the primary place I post so please don't look into that is me shunning this or any other site. We just want to drive fans to our site. I hope people can understand the strategy.

Thanks for the great feedback and conversation, always a blast.

Good night and good journey!

Scott

I'm sorry, I can't play this game anymore.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

THANK YOU ToyGuru!

First, ToyGuru, I have to say thank you for this thread, and second I have to say that the fan community loves Val & Emiliano as much as we do The Four Horsemen, and most of us consider their contributions to this franchise to be equal, and it bugs us when we get the feeling that Mattel doesn't get that.

In answer to the question you posed as the beginning of this thread, I think the fact that you started this thread ON He-Man.org is one MAJOR answer! By doing this HERE, you have acknowledged that THIS IS NOT ANY OTHER FAN SITE. And it simply isn't. This has sort of been stated in other posts, but the argument could VERY easily be made that without this site MOTUC wouldn't exist. Without Val & Emiliano keeping the fires of Eternia burning, MOTUC wouldn't exist. And that should be recognized. I understand why figure reveals in ToyFare make sense, and I understand that Mattel wants to drive traffic to their own site, so as for how the efforts Val & Emiliano have made could be recognized, I'm not quite sure at the moment, but I'll keep thinking about it.

Making the Keldor swords is HUGE! THANK YOU! I wasn't even one of the people demanding them, but the principle behind it all is what concerned me, so the fact that they're now in the works is quite a relief! WELL FREAKING DONE!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    "You do ads in ToyFare Magazine. You've done exclusives via ToyFare magazine in the past."

Advertising is one thing. Selling a figure would be another; to the best of my recollection Mattel has not sold any MOTU exclusive via Toyfare since Faker and Snake Teela. That was how many years ago? It's not a valid point to make for the classics line since none have been issued via TF for this line.

"Selling an exclusive would not "dilute" the brand. Selling an exclusive on the site you USED TO LAUNCH THIS LINE would be a gesture of good will that might make people a little less p-o'd when paint apps stink, or when their Goddess figure's legs fall off."

"An Illumina figure as an Org exclusive would be the PERFECT way for you to win HUGE props with the customer base. It would be in your best interest, sir."

Yes, but if I recall, Val said selling figures via the site was a nightmare that he did not want to repeat back when they had some spare Keldor figures to sell or even had the cases of the figures a few years ago. Not to mention many people wouldn't be able to get it because likely people that arent' regulars on the .Org would flock in to get it and it would likely create far more animosity here than it would good will. How do you say "Oh, this is ONLY for people on the .Org? How do you break down who is eligible to get it and who is not? How do you do it without ticking a whoel lot of regulars here off? I don't see this as having any positives, beyond being a nice "You could do this" scenario.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    Thank you ToyGuru for this thread and all of your hardwork.

As a suggestion, I would like to hear more of you on RG Pod casts. Your point of view for how a figure makes it to sale is very interesting. I love hearing the back stories.

Heroic Warrior
    But Mattel Germany DID send samples to German fan sites.
    My hubby, being a moderator on one of Germanies biggest MOTU websites, was in very good contact with the German Mattel brand manager back then and therefore Iīm afraid I have to say this statement isnīt true. They never received review samples. What Mattel did sent out though were some random MOTU products for raffles, which was highly appreciated. And if I recall right, he-man.org received raffle products as well as an .org exclusive Keldor back in the days of 200x, and I think the .org even sold stocks of Moss-Man and She-Ra, didnīt they?

Not a point to discuss or distract from this topic, though. Just wanted to clarify the facts

As for the ongoing discussion about he-man.org, Val and Emiliano vs. Mattel... While it is totally NOT the point of this thread, I feel the need to comment on this from a more outside (and maybe more objective) point of view.
    Everyone knows TV-shows like "Americaīs most wanted", donīt they? Those folks on stage are being backed by their families. Because families love each other. They care for each other. They support each other. Most regular posters here on the .org feel like family. They love their home, their parents, they support each other and so on. But same as with those TV-shows, sometimes families lack the ability to objectivly judge, leading to people with great voices being on stage, but absolutley no sense of singing at all. Nevertheless, the family still supports them.
    Now Iīm definetly NOT saying that either Val or Emiliano cannot sing . They are both great artists, extremely passionate fans and Iīm sure they are great folks to hang around and party with. But from what I read until now I cannot see their comic bible was as exceptionally well written as many or most fans here think. In fact, I think many of those ideas and backgrounds are quite naive or clumsy. (Knowing all about a subject never made a great storyteller. George Lucas knows all about Star Wars, but you all have seen what he did to Episodes 1, 2 and 3, AND the special editions of Episodes 4, 5 and 6.)
    Still, because itīs "family", fans embrace and praise those ideas. Please be aware that this is in no way meant to offend anyone. I know that the hell of a lot of work went into creating the comic bible. I just donīt think the result is on such a high pedestal as fans elevate it to.
    And he-man.org - no matter what the "family" says, IS just another fan-site. It is not THE fan-site. Itīs a place for fans just like any other website dedicated to MOTU, too. Some fans may call it home, some may call it family. Fair enough. But letīs not make it a church or a sect, okay? This website did a lot for MOTU, which I very much recognize and appreciate. With all the passion fans could put into creating this site. The same passion fans worldwide utilised to create many more websites dedicated to MOTU.

Thanks for reading, and letīs get back to topic now, shall we?
    Last edited by flitzi; January 10, 2011 at 07:19am.
    Gegen 2-Klassen-Gesellschaft in Internet-Foren

This is long. Apologies in advance for that.
    I'm recapping a lot of what we already said on the show.
    It's not that Mattel is doing a poor job of working with the Org, it's that Mattel should be doing a better job.

I agree with fans.
    Mattel (you in particular) is doing a good job of communicating with fans.
    But that's what Mattel is supposed to be doing.
    Customer feedback and interaction is a standard today. But Mattel is a toy leader and should be striving to do more.

So I have no doubt many of us would like to see Mattel do more with He-Man.org.
    We feel you should treat He-Man.org differently.
    It's not just a regular fan site.

In this post on the Google discussion,
    I hammered out a very loose framework of some of the things I'd personally like to see.
    I think I said it better on the podcast, though.

There's a lot the Org could do, especially long term, to help Mattel while making this very old community feel more a part of the experience,
    while Mattel gets to take full advantage of the resources here (the info, the fan experts, the traffic, our reputation, etc).
    We talk about all this on the podcast as well.

As far as the explanation about driving traffic to Matty Collector goes, I don't agree.

You talk about how doing reveals, etc, here are just preaching to the choir. Well, it's the exact same with ToyFare.
    The people buying ToyFare are toy collectors. I guarantee you most people who buy ToyFare are also regular readers/subscribers. They are fully aware of MOTUC. That logic was useful only when the line first debuted and you wanted to get the word out.

That doesn't mean I think Mattel should stop doing things with ToyFare. But I do think Mattel should recognize they get far more exposure for MOTUC here on He-Man.org for their main target audience. And like I've said on the show, this site has continued to grow over the past two years. Our forum traffic alone is far greater than that of the Matty forums, and we cater to just He-Man and She-Ra.
    So by doing more and more with He-Man.org where so many people already go, you will in turn get the very traffic to your store that you want.

Instead, Mattel is taking time money to develop their own site resource with an uncertain future.
    None of us know where MOTUC will be in 5 years. He-Man.org and other fan sites will live on. Do we know the same of Matty Collector?
    Having a forum where you can interact with fans and answer product and customer questions makes perfect sense.
    But people are going to Matty Collector to buy the product, and they always will.
    You're actually narrowing your scope by not working more closely with fan sites, and taking advantage of what they've already built.

Why do you think Hasbro leaves many of the online entertainment and historical resources to the fan sites? Or why they hire fan experts from the biggest sites as freelance consultants and designers?
    It's because there's no reason for Hasbro to invest time and money into creating something that already exists.
    Strong fansite interaction with regular Q&As, securing product for fans, exclusive reveals, polls, interviews, comps, etc is all they need to do in return for a fan-driven PR marketing network.
    Hasbro focuses on producing and selling product and lets the fan sites drive traffic to them.

The Fwoosh, He-Man.org, Planet Eternia, etc, etc. They are home to thousands upon thousands of fans.
    People don't want to be made to feel like Mattel is trying to transplant them to their community, and that Mattel is ignoring the value of the existing communities when Mattel "treats them all the same" (paraphrased), and that Mattel doesn't value the time and money put into these very communities that helped make an online Collector product successful.

By doing something similar to what Hasbro has been doing for years, Mattel takes advantage of the already large and popular fan communities, reduces expenses for internal development of the same type of content and engages the fans making their efforts in building communities around your product feel important, especially since unlike Hasbro and their major brands like Transformers and GI Joe, the fans kept MOTU alive when Mattel did not.
    This type of relationship would help Mattel ultimately cast a much wider net to get the very traffic you want Matty Collector to have.

As far as job openings, I feel more like you are dangling a carrot. You talk about how applying to Mattel is the best way to work on the brand, but then you go on to say how all the positions are filled and you have all the experts you need already working for you.
    We'd also like to know who these experts are. I think it's great you have some working for you, but surely we as fans would recognize them by name so we'd like to be able to pass along our compliments.
    And I think dorrmann's suggestion of having a Mattel VS the Org trivia contest at SDCC would be fun. :-)

But I still go back to how Mattel has a system for freelance in place as well. Much like how artists, writers, etc all work freelance for Marvel, DC, Hasbro, etc, there's no reason Mattel can't do the same thing for MOTUC.
    And I've already pointed out how myself, Emiliano and many others would do many things for free.
    Plus, I work for DC Comics. I was an option to contact for box art to help produce that art.

Before you reply with an answer to any of the above that cites some policy or logistical reason for why Mattel can't do any of that,
    let me preempt that by pointing out how Mattel did things in the past that did involve this site more directly. Mattel used site info, used fans as consultants, and used fans to help with creation. All of that helped Mattel and it made this community feel more apart of the brand while bettering the product and its exposure.

You can also look at the BCI DVDs. They are a prime example of what working directly with a fan site helps produce, for PR, consultation, resources, etc.

And look at Gygor. I was around the booth when you were talking to Emiliano about his Gygor concept and you commented on how you had never seen the reference photos of Gygor that Emiliano had. Plus, Emiliano had the great idea of refreshing the Shadow Beast as Gygor. And while it's fantastic you worked hard to get those figure in the line (figures that sold out, I might add), it's a good example of how working with fans exposed you to more ideas and information.

And same goes for the King Grayskull variant. When looking for ideas, you turned to us which was fantastic. And we suggested the statue from the MYP cartoon, which eventually became the bronze version. Another successful fan/company venture.

If there is some whacky internal policy now in place to prevent this sort of thing, then change it. Such a policy is counter-productive to all the benefits I've listed above.
    Any legal limitation is self-imposed. There are no actual laws preventing any of this from happening.
    I really think this is a situation of Mattel not being able to see the forest for the trees. Everything Mattel wants is already right there in front of them, both now and for the future.

Also, it's great you are now doing a 200x Skeletor sword and I thank you for that news. But this is something you've done several times before. When there is a fan complaint, or an issue on the table that fans would like to see addressed, you will post good news that sometimes derails the current discussion. Maybe you really do mean it as an uplifting tidbit of info, but I hope you can see how it can also look staged. That is news that shouldn't be in the middle of this conversation and instead posted in its own deserving thread.

My biggest fear is, much like markatisu said, you already know the answer you are going to give to ideas and suggestions and that this thread isn't going to result in you taking suggestions seriously. I really hope that's not the case. It means a lot that you've come here to ask this and I know many of us, myself included, are thankful. I hope we can get together and move forward with discussion about the potential of these ideas. But so far, you've shut down nearly everything despite some great ideas about how the Org and Mattel can work together. And you've been selective about your replies as well.
    Heck, I'm already expecting a blanket "logistics" or "legal" type reply to this post, despite all the time and thought I've put into this message with the hopes of it presenting positive and useful ideas.

I think all the hiccups in the past couple of years are simple instances of miscommunication and a lack of communication... just one more reason why working closely together would help avoid problems.
    I think the solution to that is as easy as me coming out to LA and having lunch with you and whoever else is involved with MOTUC, ironing out the past, and tossing around ideas for the future.

Mattel and the fans working together: It's mutually rewarding.
    And if any of what I said made sense, please just pick up the phone and call us.
    I would hope Mattel and yourself would be excited by the potential of working with fans and He-Man.org.
    I guarantee you that, together, the Org and Mattel can do fantastic things!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    you go on to say how all the positions are filled and you have all the experts you need already working for you.
    We'd also like to know who these experts are. I think it's great you have some working for you, but surely we as fans would recognize them by name so we'd like to be able to pass along our compliments.
    This is something I'd very much like to do.

It would be great to chat up with these people and possibly hear about what they've done for the line,
    success-stories and/or plans that possibly didn't go through, much like you've stated couple of your own
    helpings that made fans happier, Scott (ScareGlow and nod figure-poses on cardbacks comes to mind).

Quote Originally Posted by flitzi View Post
    My hubby, being a moderator on one of Germanies biggest MOTU websites, was in very good contact with the German Mattel brand manager back then and therefore Iīm afraid I have to say this statement isnīt true. They never received review samples. What Mattel did sent out though were some random MOTU products for raffles, which was highly appreciated.

Not a point to discuss or distract from this topic, though. Just wanted to clarify the facts
    The point he wanted to make is that Mattel sent out many samples to German fansites back then, which they don't right now. Additionally, some toys were given to the fansites before they hit most stores, and others were not available in Germany at all. And it would have been possible to review/cover them and raffle them afterwards. But the point dorrman wanted to adreess and that really matters is that the German sites got a lot of stuff back then (and Mattel collaborated extremely well with them).

Right now though, Mattel only acknowledges the largest foreign fanbase by doing Q&As with its three biggest sites (PlanetEternia.de, he-man.de and hordak.de) - just as they do with pretty much every site already, anyway.

It saddens me to see that (as awesome as they are!) relatively small websites and toy blogs received preview samples in December, but the biggest German fansites did not. Not even toys for a Christmas raffle. And then I remember how just a couple of years ago, PE got tons of stuff to give away to the fans, and now despite all the hard daily work to keep fans active and interested in the brand, we apparently are unworthy of something that pretty much everybody else has been granted.

Okay, that's not related to the org, but others from dorrman to Penny Dreadful already said everything I could've added to the discussion. So I'll resort to their comments and just state: "What they said".
    Last edited by Sir Reilly; January 10, 2011 at 02:32pm.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Movie mayhem!
    You are asking what you can do to better interact with fans of He-man.org but many of the suggestions given that could do that you've responded ok we'll do that... on mattycollector.com. I totally understand you wanting to drive traffic there, but you aren't doing what you set out in this thread to do then IMO at all. I'm not saying you shouldn't host chats on mattycollector... but maybe you could do them here as well alternating months or something. IDK, I had wanted to post some ideas ealier but I feel like the response will just be Ok sure, we'll do that on mattycollector... and its that attitude to me that is bringing up some of these feelings.

So, Scott came, opened the floodgates, saw that this may be not so clever move (opening a thread about fan suggestions on the line? really?) because this thread will be FLOODED (already is) by lengthy posts which 99% of them are to the point, he realizes that this will be too much to handle so he takes off... He took what he wanted and left..!

Okay all! Thanks so much for the great feedback. I did see a few very actionable items like more official polls, link banners, bigger images and items like that. I'll get the team looking into this ASAP.
    Seriously?
    Fans haven't even STARTED to comment in this very nice thread and you take off?

Stick around. Reply to what fans have to say. Prepare to take the heat (if there is any) for any truths come out from fans comments.

Heroic Warrior
    @Reilly: Did anyone of the German forums actually ASK Mattel for raffle items, review samples or anything? I donīt know if Manuel told you already, but there are plans for this years Grayskull-Convention in Germany that include full support from Mattel USA - because someone dared to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    So, Scott came, opened the floodgates, saw that this may be not so clever move (opening a thread about fan suggestions on the line? really?) because this thread will be FLOODED (already is) by lengthy posts which 99% of them are to the point, he realizes that this will be too much to handle so he takes off... He took what he wanted and left..!

Seriously?
    Fans haven't even STARTED to comment in this very nice thread and you take off?

Stick around. Reply to what fans have to say. Prepare to take the heat (if there is any) for any truths come out from fans comments.
    Donīt you think Scott has a little more to do than sticking around all day and night on this forums? Mattelīs not paying him for being online, do they? If they do, Iīll send my resume in asap.
    Heīll come back to this thread, Iīm sure. And he will indeed take what he wanted off it. Not something to sue him for, is it? After all, he DID start this thread to ask for our oppinion, and we deliver.
    Last edited by flitzi; January 10, 2011 at 07:32am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Donīt you think Scott has a little more to do than sticking around all day and night on this forums? Mattelīs not paying him for being online, do they? If they do, Iīll send my resume in asap.
    Heīll come back to this thread, Iīm sure. And he will indeed take what he wanted off it. Not something to sue him for, is it? After all, he DID start this thread to ask for our oppinion, and we deliver.
    @flitzi Noone can be sure of what Mattel is paying him for. Only he and Mattel knows. But this is Mattel's PR work. He surely has something to do with that with all the involvement he has over the years here in the forums...
    Believe it or not most PR jobs nowadays involve the internet.

Thanks for making the effort Scott, I hope any negativity doesn't get you down or isn't taken personally.
    Ultimately I just hope this thread doesn't do more harm then good or start a downward spiral, were all friends and fans here after all

I will have a think on any feed back I have for you regarding fan relations but I the mean time I'll say I really appreciate the review sample you send to Pixel Dan and hope these continue. The Q&A's are also great but sometimes the answers come across as 'stock answers', maybe rephrase some of the common answers to make them more specific/personal to the question.

Its also great when you post on the forums to clarify things people are arguing about. Your appearances on Gooble dinner have also been insightful and I enjoyed hearing you as a fan.

Somebody mentioned how they liked it when the 4HM posted a teaser image of one of the waves of mini-statues. You did something similar to this when you put out a few weapons at the art show and the helmet at SDCC. These little teasers are great and really get some good discussion and speculation here on the forums so I hope you can do more of these.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Would .org exclusive figure (like Illumina and her cat) OR repaints (Filmation colors) be out of the question?
    Or even an .org exclusive head, like a modern Grizzlor and Buzz-Off or third Bow head.
    Please keep up the fight for modern heads in any form, this line includes all era's of MOTU so they as essential IMOA.

And like somebody else said it would be really great just to see the unreleased heads the 4HM sculpt even if there not on the final product. Maybe when you get the toy museum/archive up on the Matty site you could include pictures of these prototype heads? or let the 4HM show them?

Just for the record I'd love a Illumina figure one day.
    Last edited by 13977; January 10, 2011 at 09:05am.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

@Reilly: Did anyone of the German forums actually ASK Mattel for raffle items, review samples or anything? I donīt know if Manuel told you already, but there are plans for this years Grayskull-Convention in Germany that include full support from Mattel USA - because someone dared to ask.
    I'm fully aware of everything going on concerning the con, and I'm happy that things like the chat session will happen.
    We asked for stuff in early 2009, but nothing panned out. And to be frank, I'm not a beggar asking regularly for preview or raffle frebies when I've been told that sending stuff to Germany ain't possible.
    Last edited by Sir Reilly; January 10, 2011 at 02:33pm.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Heroic Warrior
    @flitzi Noone can be sure of what Mattel is paying him for. Only he and Mattel knows. But this is Mattel's PR work. He surely has something to do with that with all the involvement he has over the years here in the forums...
    Believe it or not most PR jobs nowadays involve the internet.
    I know. But not solely And even then, sometimes people just say goodbye because they need to eat or sleep

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Thank you. I'm just sad that it didn't get the reply that it deserves.
    You made too many good, difficult to debate, points.

And that sort of thing will NOT be tolerated!!!

As for the bible, that is a totally different story. It comes down to legal issues I can not discuss publicly and the best way to explain it is as I said earlier, we just don't want multiple stories out there right now. I'm not intending to be secretive, I just can't go into anymore and I'd like to see if we can move away from this one. Honestly, not being an ass here!, we're probably never going to stop asking about this one... Something about the squeaky wheel tending to be the one that gets the grease! So, hopefully, no hard feelings!

... we are going to now find a way to do the "Keldor Swords" in Classic style. (despite what people say I am in there fighting the good fight!).

This isn't indicitive of "rules changing", I just made the case that enough fans want these and it doesn't indicate a changed character design. So hey, chalk one up for a fan demand victory!

I was going to save this announcement for NYTF, but hey, you guy wanted a He-Man.org news break, there you go!

Alright, this time I am out. Have a good week everyone!

TG
    And THAT is what we want!

I realize that sometimes we fans are a bit "too passionate", but it comes down to our love for the property.

I KNOW that you're a big fan, and I've stated several times that I do not envy your position. I imagine that if you were in out shoes, you'd be just as vocal.

That said, I believe you when you give various answers, and I do realize that you're handcuffed many times. I just hope that you see our passion and don't penalize Val and crew for things that we may blow off steam about, due to the many frustrations that have grown over the past 2 years.
    Last edited by Larry Waters; January 10, 2011 at 08:50am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

I know. But not solely And even then, sometimes people just say goodbye because they need to eat or sleep
    actually he is the Brand Manager, so yes his job is promoting the brand among other stuff

Heroic Warrior
    actually he is the Brand Manager, so yes his job is promoting the brand among other stuff

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5697/brandb.jpg
    I read you. Do you read me too? I guess Scottīs working from 9 to 5, just as everybody else. You do not really expect him to work 24/7, do you? No matter if heīs a brand manager or a toilet cleaner.

In an Island off the coast of The Evergreen Forrest
    JVS3 wrote: "But I still go back to how Mattel has a system for freelance in place as well. Much like how artists, writers, etc all work freelance for Marvel, DC, Hasbro, etc, there's no reason Mattel can't do the same thing for MOTUC.
    And I've already pointed out how myself, Emiliano and many others would do many things for free." Right you are Val! for some of us MOTUC fans and artists, it would be a dream come true to contribute!!!(Make a wish fundation kind of thing ;-))After all, a lot of the artists that worked on the line in the beginning and even recently, were...and still are an influence to most of us. But the question is....(and Scott, if youre reading) Could this even be a possibility???

I wanted to avoid posting in this thread because I think Val already said all there was to say and I much prefer let the fans speak their voice. I'd hate to come across as the self-promoting one.
    I don't need to self promote, anything I suggest is for the best of the community and hopefully, for the best of the brand.

As I also stated on RGD that I personally dislike having all the politics and strategies involved in this kind of discussions. I know that's how it's done in business, especially in US, but you know what? I'm not American, so just let me be honest and to the point, without thinking I'm angry or trying to challenge anyone. I really don't want to and Scott, it wold totally would be the same if we were speaking in person. I mean no offense and I have no bad feeling, but I also to need to speak without the PC mask for once

Like others, I share the feeling you opened the post just with the intention of officially say no to everything that was proposed.
    I'm sure many of us, myself included, knew what the answers would have been, and we didn't stand corrected.
    At the end, we once more know there won't be any further interaction or collaboration, and the assets represented by this site and the team in charge won't be used.
    We got it, that won't change.
    And it's okay.

But dont' ask us or the fans to stop asking
    They won't let it go.
    They will keep asking for the bible to be posted, they will keep asking about Illumina, they will keep asking to have me and Val involved, they will keep asking about Filmation characters etc.

Then, I must stress something you said, that may put us in a very bad light with fans.
    Now I'm sure that was completely unintentional, but I have to correct you, I hope you don't mind me doing so this time:

The position of Brand Manager for the line is held by myself and the position of toy designer is filled by the Four Horsemen.
    I don't want to be the brand manager of the line. Val doesn't want to be the brand manager of the line.
    That was never our intention. I think you're a great brand manager for the line and you're doing a wonderful job.
    We've seen so many brand managers coming, trying to resurrect MOTU and disappear. You're the only one that succeded.
    But still, I'm completely convinced you believe we want to steal your job or interfere with your job.
    I'm sure that's a very backstabbing common practice in high level corporate world, but that's not us.
    We're not in that world, and we don't want to be part of that world. I'm just an artist who like to create cool things.
    At my highest expectations, I'd like to be your best assets PAST the 4H. That's it.
    Can you feel my old fashioned Italian honestly in what I'm saying?

in the end the Horsemen really enjoy designing MOTU characters themselves. It is what we pay them for. The job of MOTU designer is already taken and we are not looking for a second designer right now. The Horsemen have it covered and are doing a great job
    Allow me to be very frustrated and a bit upset about this statement.
    I don't want tho replace the 4H. I don't want to be the second designer of the line.
    By stating that you implied I'm looking for a way to take over 4H's job.
    I'm not. Again: I'm NOT.

I have too much love and respect for the 4H to even think about that, and I hate that this post by you may even let the fan have the slightest suspect I'm working against the 4H.
    By saying that you put me in a bad spot with the 4H too. It becomes awkyard to talk to them as I then have to fear they may suspect the same thing and we all get embarassed. As James noted in the show, I don't like this kind of interference in personal relationship.

But, at fans' benefit I want to tell some facts, so they know exactly what I'm talking about.
    Just a few examples to make clear what I'm asking for.

While sculpting Hordak, the 4H didn't have at hand his vintage crossbow and asked me if it was true that all the crossbows were different and if I could provide pics of them.
    Within 2 hours, I sent them pics of all the crossbows from all the possible angles.

Before SDCC 2008, (and this is no longer a secret as it has been already talked about) the 4H asked me if I wanted to help them illustrate a few of their OWN ideas they wanted to present to Mattel.
    I agreed, and created a few illustrations for possible products, many of which have then be released, including Tytus, Battle Cat, Panthor and Shadow Beast.
    When Eric presented me the idea for the Shadow Beast I suggested a way to reuse the mold, and that was Gygor. Which no one knew about.
    So, all I did was helping the 4H pitching their ideas to you, along at adding cool details that fit the plan.
    That's basically my everyday job with Hasbro: I help other people illustrate their ideas, to save time and money.
    I don't interfere with the process, and when I get to add my input, that's appreciated.
    With that pitch with the 4H, it was exactly the same.
    And it worked for all of us: me, the 4H, Mattel and the fans.

When it was decided He-Ro was going to be the SD exclusive, again I was asked if I had pics of the original prototype in hand. I put together a little package with all He-Ro related images I could find.
    From the pic from the Mattel catalog, to scans from the dinosaurs' and giants's boxes.

Not too long after that, we've been informed that Mattel said the 4H cannot longer work with us in any capacity, they can't requests references or art.

Immagine my disappointment after having helped (alwasy for free) Mattel in locating important info and creating successful products.
    And the terrible taste that left in our mouths to the point I was even scared to call my friends CB and Eric and chit chat on the phone.

So, all I'm asking is to lift that ban, and if there is any legalities involved, work them out, so we can just go back to where we stand before it.
    I don't want to do any more that that: when and if the 4H need something from me, I'd just like them to be free to ask and me being free to help.
    Am I seriuosly asking for too much?

Yes, but this is counter to our goal of driving people to Mattycollector.com. We have no desire to sell Mattycollector.com exclusive brands on other sites. It defeats the purpose of driving fans and consumers to our site.
    Val said it and other fans said it: you need to start thinking outside the box about that.
    The goal is driving people to Mattycollector.com not because the goal is the content of the site, but because the goal is to sell the products.
    So, anything else that can increase brand recognition, fan's interest and excitement will still drive traffic to Mattycollector.com, because that's the only place where products are sold.
    It just doesn't make sense to think that higher traffic on fan sites will result in less product sold! It's completely the opposite! The more people on the fan sites=more traffic on Mattycollector.com=more product sold!
    You just need to think beyond the idea that everything has to be on you site, and your site will benefit from that.

A few word about the MVC bible:
    you keep bringing up legal reasons why it can't be posted (aside from the "conflicting stories" which makes little sense).
    But no one ever talked to us about legalities involved with the bible.
    All you told me is that someone at Mattel got mad because we did an interview with ToyFare (like thousands of other creators on all sorts of properties) and you had to spend lot of money and time with lawyers to disccuss what to do about it, while all you had to do was give us a call!

Still, I don't get why posting this bible is any different from the many documents that surfaced over the years, especially when the bible isn't a document Mattel hired us to write, but it was just something we wrote for ourself to make plans for our comic book and that we submitted to you with good faith, it's one of the many documents from the past that Mattel doesn't even have on file if it wasn't for us sending them to you guys.

I wish if you could just come straight and say you don't want the bible to be revelad, because a few ideas here and there are being used in the MOTUC bios, and you don't want to ruin the surprise.
    We would have totally understood that and everyone would be happy, but that isn't Mattel way apparently.
    Rather than asking a simple curtesy and being friendly Mattel prefer to treathen people.

Oh, and abotu flitzi comment:
    Now Iīm definetly NOT saying that either Val or Emiliano cannot sing They are both great artists, extremely passionate fans and Iīm sure they are great folks to hang around and party with. But from what I read until now I cannot see their comic bible was as exceptionally well written as many or most fans here think. In fact, I think many of those ideas and backgrounds are quite naive or clumsy. (Knowing all about a subject never made a great storyteller. George Lucas knows all about Star Wars, but you all have seen what he did to Episodes 1, 2 and 3, AND the special editions of Episodes 4, 5 and 6.)
    Still, because itīs "family", fans embrace and praise those ideas. Please be aware that this is in no way meant to offend anyone. I know that the hell of a lot of work went into creating the comic bible. I just donīt think the result is on such a high pedestal as fans elevate it to.
    This has nothing to do with Fans wanting to read it.
    It isn't about the quality: while some fans are speculating the comic bible is better than the MOTUC bios,
    the majority just want to read it because they are curious. You're assuming that an interest in the bible for historical entertainment automatically means it's better than the bios.
    But that isn't the case at all

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Piett View Post
    Yes, but if I recall, Val said selling figures via the site was a nightmare that he did not want to repeat back when they had some spare Keldor figures to sell or even had the cases of the figures a few years ago. Not to mention many people wouldn't be able to get it because likely people that arent' regulars on the .Org would flock in to get it and it would likely create far more animosity here than it would good will. How do you say "Oh, this is ONLY for people on the .Org? How do you break down who is eligible to get it and who is not? How do you do it without pi**ing a whoel lot of regulars here off? I don't see this as having any positives, beyond being a nice "You could do this" scenario.
    I don't see all the negatives you're seeing there
    We said many times we'd be more than happy to handle an exclusive again, so that isn't a problem.
    Also, I don't see any problem in breaking down who is elegible for it and who's not: everyone would be elegible People woulnd't need to be member of the .org to buy it.
    They would just come here and preorder/buy it, as simple as that.
    Fan complain about exclusives all the time, so there woulnd't be any difference. If someone complain that is an exclusive to a site and you have to go to that specific site to buy it... well isn't Mattycollector exactly like that?

Also, yeah, I disagree it would diluite the line at all.
    It's just one thing: good PR for Mattel and the brand.
    It's like Mattel saying: we care about our most loyal fans and we want to give them something special and rewarding for theri loyalty (not for free, Mattel would still make money out of the exclusive). Fans would feel like the company cares about them and that would only tighten the relationship between consumers and company.
    By refusing that and any other suggestion given in this thread, the message is that we're taken for granted and all Mattel has to care about it so feed us with more toys.
    It's a business model I don't like personally, I'm more for creating a mutual faith relationship with my clients, but I'm sure me suggesting what business model Mattel should use will be seen as a negative, so I will stop here.

Anyway, going back to what Scott said:

Because we want to drive all MOTUC purchases to Mattycollector.com to build the brand. It is counter intuitive to sell our exclusive brands on other sites, especially a fan site or another online retailer. It would dilute both the MOTUC and Mattycollector.com brands.
    That's true if you do it with all your products. But exclusives are ment to increase brands awareness exactly like you do with San Diego Comic Con.
    By your response, I could counter argue that you're diliuting the brand by selling products at San Diego, driving people to the con instead than to the site.
    How is that different from having exclusive products on other site, not even regulary but once in a while, and so driving more traffic to the site.
    Of course, before you say I can't compare Comic Con to He-Man.org, I'm not doing that. They have different audiences, but for the reasons I said above, I think they are both important.

Going back to the original topic, let's make an example. Of course this makes sense only if we go past the mentality that drivign traffic to fan sites means driving traffic off Mattycollector.com.
    We could make a collaborative effort in presenting to the public lot of the unseen materials.
    Like the plots for the POG minicomics.
    Why not doing it on Mattycollector.com? Because that isn't what Mattycollector is about, at least right now.
    Matty is an e-commerce site, with only a small section for news about the products.
    There are no other news regarding the MOTU world and everything that revolve around it.
    And it can't be different as it's the company site, and it can't give news about Filmation DVD just to mention one thing.
    Fan sites will never have that limit.

Do you want to fill it with content? Okay, but in 2 years I've seen none of this happening.
    And I know there are 2 reasons: Mattel's burocracy and the fact that of course building up the site costs money, and you've stated so many times you rather put all the limited budget you have into the products.
    So it seems so obvious to make a collaboration in presenting these materials.
    it would cost you much less (or nothing at all) to have us presenting them than not presenting them at all.
    Once again, it would just increase people interest and ultimately send off more people to buy the products on Mattycollector. com
    Mattel's win, He-Man.org wins, THE FANS WIN as they get to see the stuff!

If you adopt this model, I don't see how this can harm Mattycollector.com, only advantages.

And if there are legal issue, just get them resolved.
    Hope you will take this as friendly as it meant to be, but let me quote you from one of your first emails to me: "I ate red tapes for breakfast"

In the end, I sadly have no faith anything I just said made you change you stance on things.
    I'm not even confindent you will actually address what I said other than posting selective and dismissive answers like before
    I've been trying for years now to communicate we just want to be allies, but I don't think I was able to talk you off the idea we want to steal your job or something like that.
    I failed at that despite my best efforts.
    I knew since the beginning this thread was pointless and it would have only ended upsetting all of us.

If you ever change your mind or start seeing this in a different light, please just pick up the phone and give us a call.
    Our excitement and willing to make lots of cool things with you and MOTU will still be the same.

Until then, I think He-Man.org will keep sailing alone, hopefully continuing giving fans a home and a place where to share many incredible things from the world of He-Man, past, present and future.

I read you. Do you read me too? I guess Scottīs working from 9 to 5, just as everybody else. You do not really expect him to work 24/7, do you? No matter if heīs a brand manager or a toilet cleaner.
    You do realize that "he's left the building"... he thanked us all for the feedback and left
    That was my complaint. He should stay around and keep answering if he wants all of the fans suggestions. I am not talking about NOW-NOW!
    Tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, whenever!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    We might do Illuminia one day. But it really just isn't going to be anytime soon for the reasons I stated above. There are just too many other females we want to get first. She just really isn't a priority and at the end of the day she is from a promo piece of modern art. It just isn't something we are ready to hit anytime soon. But she is available for the record.
    I think I see what he is saying here. Queen Marlena, Sorceress, Catra, Blonde Bikini Teela (look at MOTUC Idol 7), and the rest of the POP women (see the Mantenna created banners on the Matty forums) seem to be more popular than Illumina. I think Illumina has garnered the attention that she has moreso because of the "injustice" that she wouldn't have been made initially.

But hey, to leave on a good note, we did just have our meeting with management to go over the 2012 line. We also discussed the 200X head design and weapon design direction. While we are still not going to explore 200X redesigned character heads in the online line, I did get some sway on the weapons and we are going to now find a way to do the "Keldor Swords" in Classic style. (despite what people say I am in there fighting the good fight!).
    I've noticed that you do indeed do what you can, where 200X in Classics is concerned and for that I thank you. You've given us 200X He-Man and now you've given us Keldor's 200X swords. Thanks Toyguru! Chances are you realize that the 200X heads are missing from most vintage characters who are released too.

I've been noticing that you've been saying the "online toyline" for about a month now. Would those theoretical 200X headed MOTUC variants be considered for another retail store? Like a wave of 200X headed characters at Kmart, Target or Walmart?

This isn't indicitive of "rules changing", I just made the case that enough fans want these and it doesn't indicate a changed character design. So hey, chalk one up for a fan demand victory!
    LOL! That last statement seemed to answer your concerns about changing tunes, Shokoti.

If enough fans wanted Keldor's Swords and it's been almost a year since he debuted at NYTF, then there are definitely enough fans who want 200X heads, so the support for those things are definitely there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I didn't listen to any of the Roast Gooble Dinners that acted as a catalyst for this thread, so I'm not sure exactly what was said about Scott & Mattel. To be honest, whether it's made public or not, I'm not too interested in the problems that have happened between MVC & Mattel. As long as it doesn't affect the MOTUC toyline or my ability to post on this site, it's just a case of he said/he said that is none of my business.
    But it does affect the toyline. It stops MOTUC from being the best MOTU product that it could possibly be. Look at the bios, MOTUC vs DC box art or the She-Ra DVD set artwork. Now imagine how those products would have been with Val, Emiliano, Eamon, Gbagok, Iceman or Jukka on the MOTUC team. People complain about the bios. Imagine if Gbagok were helping writing these things?

I will say that I respect Scott a lot just for the fact that he continues to come to this site to interact with us while refusing to get into verbal battles with those forum members aggressively looking for a fight. Sure, He-Man.org may be one of, if not the, most important MOTU fandom sites, but Scott already has his own site to converse with the fans on. In terms of fan relations, I feel Scott is doing a great job. Granted, this is the only forum I regularly particpate in, but, based on what I hear from other fans, Mattel makes attempts to reach out to the fans a lot better than Hasbro or any other toy companies do.
    Hasbro doesn't hold a candle to Mattel in that regard. It reminds me of Jerry from the old SOTA Street Fighter toyline. Every Friday he would come to the forums and talk with us about everything about the action figure process, from paint to obscure characters.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Scott -

Thanks for the posts here.

As a fan, I'll tell you I simply do not like the forum format over at mattycollector.com. I already have a vested interest in this site and enjoy coming here. I'm a busy guy with a career and a family. I don't have a lot of time on my hands. If I have to choose which site I'm going to visit, it'll be the one I enjoy reading - the org.

And every time I go to mattycollector.com, I'm reminded of the PAIN in collecting MOTUC. I really didn't want an all-inclusive sub, but felt compelled to purchase it so I wasn't paying higher prices in the secondary market if I ran into the WSOD. My strategy is to simply resell the figures I don't want. I feel that I shouldn't be forced into that model, but it is what it is. Ultimately, it's THAT negative equity that makes me dislike mattycollector.com so much. Yes, I get that this thread isn't about the issues with DR, but you asked.

I much prefer to get my MOTU news here at He-Man.org. I would be a happier fan if Mattel would work more closely with the org - more announcements here, maybe a reveal or two, etc.

Thanks for asking for feedback. Hope to see more interaction here.