Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Admit it, the movies that made you cry

Heroic Warrior

Admit it, the movies that made you cry

The Grave of the Fireflies: Such a very sad and powerful animated movie.
    Pan's Labyrinth: The ending.
    Armageddon: Harry's sacrifice.
    The Dark Knight Rises: Batman's sacrifice.
    Up: the opening.
    Toy Story 3: the ending.
    Iron Giant: The alien robot sacrificing himself and saying "Superrrrman".
    Old Yeller: Need i say more?
    Ghost: The end got to me when i saw this in theaters as a kid.
    ET: when ET died then came back to life and the ending.
    The Muppets take Manhattan: Saying Goodbye scene.
    Frozen: Anna freezing and everyone thought she was dead.
    Terminator 2: T-800 saying goodbye and sacrificing himself making John sad, i was 10 when i saw the movie in theaters and found it touching.
    The Land Before Time: Littlefoot's mom's death, made me sad when i was 7 when i saw it in theaters.
    The Wizard of Oz: When Dorothy said goodbye to her friends.
    The Neverending Story: The death of Atreyu's horse Artax in the Swamps of Sadness. (Such a powerful scene)
    Bambi: Seeing this movie in theaters in it's 88 re-issue made me cry when the mom died.
    Snow White: I saw this in 87 in it's re-issue and when the Dwarfs thought Snow White died.
    Dobey's death in Harry Potter 7.
    The Transformers The Movie: Optimus's death, it did it for me when i was 5 seeing it in theaters.
    Star Trek II: Death of Spock.
    Gandalf when he was falling to his death in Fellowship of the Ring.
    The Fox and the Hound: I saw this in it's 88 re-issue as a kid and i felt emotional at some scenes like the old lady leaving her fox to be free and the ending.
    Snoopy Come Home: Him saying goodbye to his pals.
    And there are some others.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; April 18, 2014 at 12:38am.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Court Magician
    From your list ET, T2 & Star Trek 2 all got me the first time I watched them and I still get a little emotional when watching ET to this day.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Terminator 2 made me cry the first time I watched it as a kid. G.I. Joe the Movie made me cry the first time I watched it (when Duke seemingly died).

As an adult, the only ones I can think of are The Green Mile, Rocky Balboa, and Million Dollar Baby.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

Master of New Adventures!
    ROCKY I, II, III, ROCKY BALBOA, RUDY, THE BLIND SIDE -- is there a pattern here? AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER, BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARRON, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON... And on and on it goes.

Tearjerkers are my absolute favorite kinds of movies. In business I'm one of the toughest warriors that's ever wielded a broadsword -- and after three decades in the entertainment industry I've wielded them many, many times. But any time ROCKY happens to come on, Kim walks into the room and sighs as she knowingly tosses me a box of Kleenex.

Shunmao Monogatari Taotao (1981). It's NOTHING like the cheerful tv-series that came after, but incredibly sad.
    I have seen what others have not seen!

Lots of movies have made me cry. But these make me cry pretty much every time I see them:

- Princess Mononoke (lots of scenes, like the prince venturing into the Forest God's woods)
    - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (lots of scenes, but especially Nausicaa calming the frightened little creature)
    - Beautiful Boxer (lots of scenes)
    - The Hours (lots of scenes)
    - Ang Lee's Hulk (Hulk enjoying freedom)
    - Brokeback Mountain (lots of scenes)
    - It's a Wonderful Life (I cry through the movie pretty much)
    - Terminator 1 & 2 (first - the love making scene, second - lots of scenes)
    - Blade Runner (lots of scenes, but biggest tears come from the android's speech at the end)
    - Gattaca (lots of scenes)
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (lots of scenes, pretty much all the speeches Splinter holds).

I'm sure there'd be lot more to mention. These came to mind first.
    Last edited by Heidi; April 18, 2014 at 08:08am.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Requiem for a Dream.. when Ellen Burstyn was getting the shock treatment.. that was pretty rough...
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

Heroic Warrior
    Forrest Gump - "I may not be a smart man, but I know what love is" and "Is he smart, or is he like me?" Damn you Tom Hanks!
    Gods & Generals - General Jackson's death scene. The Irish scene.
    Transformers: The Movie - Optimus Prime's death scene.
    Tombstone - Wyatt's brother's death and the final scene with Wyatt and Doc Holliday
    Ride with the Devil - the farewell scene between Jake and Daniel Holt.
    Star Trek II - Spock's scene
    Ladyhawke: "Look at me!" "Look at her!" "Look at us!"
    G.I. Joe: The Movie - Serpentor striking down Duke.

Crystal Moonbeam & Shezar The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    ROCKY I, II, III, ROCKY BALBOA, RUDY, THE BLIND SIDE -- is there a pattern here? AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER, BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARRON, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON... And on and on it goes.

Tearjerkers are my absolute favorite kinds of movies. In business I'm one of the toughest warriors that's ever wielded a broadsword -- and after three decades in the entertainment industry I've wielded them many, many times. But any time ROCKY happens to come on, Kim walks into the room and sighs as she knowingly tosses me a box of Kleenex.
    Totally with you on the Rocky films. People have criticized those films, especially the sequels, but I really think on the surface, they are some of the greatest films ever produced, and very realistic. Subtract all the cheesy (yet great) montages and very dated material....each film really deals with different stages in life. We always have to keep living. We always have new challenges. I'm not talking about his feuds, but the things that happen to him along the way. Depression, self doubt, loss of loved ones, revenge, getting older, etc... The Rocky character is such an inspirational one.

I will say this, anything, that can you emotionally invested in it, is successful in my book. For us to watch a story or root for a character, knowing very well it's "not real", well heck, that's awesome. When I saw the 2006 Rocky film in the theater, I remember feeling like a little kid again rooting for him during the match, like it was the 80's sitting and watching the VHS recording of Rocky take on Drago or Apollo.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    - It's a Wonderful Life (I cry through the movie pretty much)
    Especially the very end of the film when all the people he touched come to the house. Hark the Herald Angels Sing gets me everytime

So for me, I'd say these films (though not all of them made me cry, I'll just say I'm emotionally invested):

-Rocky
    -Rocky II
    -Rocky III
    -Rocky IV
    -Rocky Balboa (6)
    -It's A Wonderful Life
    -Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (I am not a fan of most of Peter Jackson's book edits, but when the elves come to the Battle of Helm's Deep, I don't cry, but I just love that part)
    -Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (I also don't cry at this part, but I am totally emotionally invested when Rohan comes to the aid and charges at the Battle of Gondor)
    -Crocodile Dundee (the ending when he gets to her in the crowded subway)
    -Muppets Take Manhattan (the songs especially)
    -A League of Their Own (the ending)
    -Mannequin (Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, lol)
    Support Crystal Moonbeam for MOTUC!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...beam-in-MOTUC!

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Many of them are already listed here, but I will add "Hachi: a Dog's Tale" and "Marley and Me". What can I say, I'm a dog person.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Two that come right to mind:
    Magic of Lassie: the final scene, where the grandson and a dirty, smokey Lassie are running toward each other as Debbie Boone sings "When You're loved." Scrooge would be hard pressed to hold back tears there.

The Night They Saved Christmas: the scene where Santa proves who he is by recounting an important Christmas to Jacklyn Smith.

Jack Frost: the one with Michael Keaton coming back as a snowman. The ending gets me every time.

Thing is, I tend to bawl like a baby at the happy moments, the touching scenes, rather than the sad ones.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Most of mine have already been mentioned, but i'll list them anyway:

The Transformers: The Movie
    The Empire Strikes Back (Threepio getting shot)
    Return of the Jedi (Vader's death)
    Santa Claus: The Movie (When the reindeer was sick)
    King Kong (original)
    The Neverending Story
    Terminator 2
    Star Trek II
    ET
    Ghost
    Up
    Toy Story 2 (Jessie's song)
    Toy Story 3 (ending)
    The Crow
    Schindler's List
    Shadowlands

And then there's the ones that gave me tears of joy:

LOTR: Return of the King's ending(s) (all of them )
    It's A Wonderful Life
    Crocodile Dundee
    The Nightmare Before Christmas (ending)
    Back to the Future (George punches out Biff)
    Pokemon 2000 (Team Rocket save the day)
    Elf (Near the end)

Since you're a ROCKY fan, I'll tell you one of the scenes in the film that really gets to me.

It's during the penultimate round when Apollo Creed is really taking Rocky apart, pummeling him. At last Rocky crumples to the canvas, all but out. Creed turns his back on Balboa and raises his arms to the crowd in triumph. As the crowd cheers and the referee begins his count, unseen by Creed, Rocky slowly and agonizingly begins to pull himself up off the canvas. Creed slowly turns around seven counts in and incredulously sees the battered but unbeaten Rocky moving to his feet on shaky legs.

It's then that Carl Weather -- Apollo Creed -- makes one of the most amazing transformations I've ever seen in a character in a film. It's a three second shot in which Creed down looks at off-camera Rocky. And expression of tremendous sadness comes over Creed's face and he lowers his shoulders in reluctant resignation, saluting a fellow warrior. In that moment the audience realizes that this character Apollo Creed, who we have disliked for the entire film, is actually a good guy and will some day become a hero. It's not until ROCKY III, when he joins with Rocky to defeat Clubber Lang that this happens, but we know it will come some day.

In that three second scene Carl Weathers teaches -- without a word of dialog -- all there is to know about acting. As someone that has spent his life in the entertainment industry this stunning moment gets me because of the sheer brilliance and talent of the actor. And, of course, because of Rocky's pulling himself up off the mat, I -- as anyone who has ever struggled -- am touched. He captured the essence of that moment and determination in ROCKY BALBOA when he said, "It ain't about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Truer words have rarely been said in a film.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Totally with you on the Rocky films. People have criticized those films, especially the sequels, but I really think on the surface, they are some of the greatest films ever produced, and very realistic. Subtract all the cheesy (yet great) montages and very dated material....each film really deals with different stages in life. We always have to keep living. We always have new challenges. I'm not talking about his feuds, but the things that happen to him along the way. Depression, self doubt, loss of loved ones, revenge, getting older, etc... The Rocky character is such an inspirational one.

I will say this, anything, that can you emotionally invested in it, is successful in my book. For us to watch a story or root for a character, knowing very well it's "not real", well heck, that's awesome. When I saw the 2006 Rocky film in the theater, I remember feeling like a little kid again rooting for him during the match, like it was the 80's sitting and watching the VHS recording of Rocky take on Drago or Apollo.

Especially the very end of the film when all the people he touched come to the house. Hark the Herald Angels Sing gets me everytime

So for me, I'd say these films (though not all of them made me cry, I'll just say I'm emotionally invested):

-Rocky
    -Rocky II
    -Rocky III
    -Rocky IV
    -Rocky Balboa (6)
    -It's A Wonderful Life
    -Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (I am not a fan of most of Peter Jackson's book edits, but when the elves come to the Battle of Helm's Deep, I don't cry, but I just love that part)
    -Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (I also don't cry at this part, but I am totally emotionally invested when Rohan comes to the aid and charges at the Battle of Gondor)
    -Crocodile Dundee (the ending when he gets to her in the crowded subway)
    -Muppets Take Manhattan (the songs especially)
    -A League of Their Own (the ending)
    -Mannequin (Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, lol)
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 18, 2014 at 12:30pm.

Crystal Moonbeam & Shezar The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Since you're a ROCKY fan, I'll tell you one of the scenes in the film that really gets to me.

It's during the penultimate round when Apollo Creed is really taking Rocky apart, pummeling him. At last Rocky crumples to the canvas, all but out. Creed turns his back on Balboa and raises his arms to the crowd in triumph. As the crowd cheers and the referee begins his count, unseen by Creed, Rocky slowly and agonizingly begins to pull himself up off the canvas. Creed slowly turns around seven counts in and incredulously sees the battered but unbeaten Rocky moving to his feet on shaky legs.

It's then that Carl Weather -- Apollo Creed -- makes one of the most amazing transformations I've ever seen in a character in a film. It's a three second shot in which Creed down looks at off-camera Rocky. And expression of tremendous sadness comes over Creed's face and he lowers his shoulders in reluctant resignation, saluting a fellow warrior. In that moment the audience realizes that this character Apollo Creed, who we have disliked for the entire film, is actually a good guy and will some day become a hero. It's not until ROCKY III, when he joins with Rocky to defeat Clubber Lang that this happens, but we know it will come some day.

In that three second scene Carl Weathers teaches -- without a word of dialog -- all there is to know about acting. As someone that has spent his life in the entertainment industry this stunning moment gets me because of the sheer brilliance and talent of the actor. And, of course, because of Rocky's pulling himself up off the mat, I -- as anyone who has ever struggled -- am touched. He captured the essence of that moment and determination in ROCKY BALBOA when he said, "It ain't about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Truer words have rarely been said in a film.
    One of my favorites too!

5:25 (for the fall). 5:58 for my favorite when Apollo puts his head down, like "How in the world do I defeat this guy?"

Apollo is a good guy. The movies do a good job in showing different perspecitves, whether it's Paulie, Adrian, Apollo, etc... We all have our own motivations and weaknesses.
    Support Crystal Moonbeam for MOTUC!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...beam-in-MOTUC!

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    The scene from the Lord of the Rings movies that almost makes me cry to watch it is the scene after Faramir's men catch Gollum in the Forbidden Pool, and he gets reacquainted with his "bad self". His "Smeagol" personality was so like a child - and as mean as the rangers were to him, you almost couldn't blame him for turning bad again. But the tragedy was Frodo had nothing to do with it, and he's the one Gollum ends up wanting to hurt. I think most of us have probably had our good intentions ruined by mean people before.

The Phantom Menace. I was that disappointed....lol

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Well, I guess it's a good thing I've seen many of these movies, because with all the spoilers thrown in for the ones I haven't seen yet, I won't need to now. LOL
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

To those who have not seen many of these films and have read the spoilers, I would respectfully suggest that no matter how many times one visits the statue of David -- knowing in advance full well what they are going to see -- it still take one's breath away upon seeing it. My advice, for what it's worth: don't deprive yourself of a wonderful experience simply because you know how it's going to turn out. And btw, I follow my own advice each holiday season by watching IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE over and over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Well, I guess it's a good thing I've seen many of these movies, because with all the spoilers thrown in for the ones I haven't seen yet, I won't need to now. LOL

Heroic Warrior
    I don't cry with movies, well, just a few exceptions; "Monster" with Charlize Theron, "Lost & Delirious" and I came out of the movie theater with my eyes like flowing rivers with "Dancer in the Dark" and I vowed to NEVER watch that movie again... NEVER.

Arrested for copying dogs FiveOfSeven's Avatar
    Far beyond any imaginative work of terror or science-fiction
    You know when I was a kid, I put a note into a bottle and it had my name and address on it. And then I threw the bottle into the ocean.

And I never knew if anybody ever found it.
    In the old days the Indians who used to live around here called it a "black wind"; they believed that it carried the voices of evil spirits, and that if you listened to it for long enough it could drive you mad.
    (Bill Pronzini)

And lest I forget, this final scene in ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN. Could there be a heart so cold as to not be touched by it? I think not.

Boys Don't Cry did it for me. The end is brutal.
    Braveheart
    And I cried at Titanic....the first time....the old couple on the bed got me.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    This.

Humperdinck and the six fingered man gets me every time.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    The Phantom Menace. I was that disappointed....lol
    Not only that one, but Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith as well. All horrible.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

I very rarely cry during films if at all. That said I did shed a tear during The Green Mile.