Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Picky Are you? : Dating

How Picky Are you? : Dating

ok..so, here's the situation. Your Dream Girl walks through the door and starts hitting on you. What is your one cavet that would make you say, no thanks?

For me, it's two things.
    1: the most major one is Tattoo's. Ever since I found out how they where made I've hated them. In my experience, it takes a certain kind of nut to want to get one in the first place, and they usually do not stop at one....once I know someone has one, that's where my eye always goes too...

2:Weird piercings... if you work at hot topic and have a lip or nose ring, I'm sorry, but I can't take you seriously...

Those are the major things. Minor things are :Smokers are out (we had someone die from smoking complications in the family at 33, after that, every smoker in the family stopped). And of course, people with kids (never get involved with divorced people...they tend to never be happy,also with experience)

so, if the hottest woman in the world started to hit you up, whaat would make you avoid her?
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Not into a woman with kids, or if she smokes or does drugs, or if she always has to be "out and about."
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

I read this post and couldn't help but be a little insulted. I run Monster Tattoo Studio as owner and head artist. We are a professional, clean, family oriented shop, that is licensed and inspected by our state. I myself have over a decade of experience and only do tattoos that I want to do meaning good tattoos. I think your views of tattoos and piercings seem dated at the least and uninformed at the best. How tattoos are made? What do you mean by this? I hope you are referring to illegal tattooing like prison tattoos or homemade tattoos, I have seen my fair share of bad work from scratchers, these kind of people give tattooists a bad rap, that legitimate artists have been working for years to get away from. There has always been prejudices when it comes to tattoos, and I realize that to this very day there is still a certain stigmatizing reaction to my proffesion. Now if it's a bad tattoo, poorly done, or not thought out, I can get why that would be a turn off for you. Or if the person who was getting these tattoos or piercings was just in it for shock value going overboard with excessive coverage, or hateful subject matter, that I could totally understand. Sorry Shredder getting off my soap box now, and answer your original question about what would be a deal breaker with a potential love interest. I would have to say bigotry..like if a person you were just starting to date hated or judged a certain group of people. I mean I am a grown man who collects toys, I have been a nerd for a long long time, and I try really hard not to judge others because I know what it feels like.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    ok..so, here's the situation. Your Dream Girl walks through the door and starts hitting on you. What is your one cavet that would make you say, no thanks?

For me, it's two things.
    1: the most major one is Tattoo's. Ever since I found out how they where made I've hated them. In my experience, it takes a certain kind of nut to want to get one in the first place, and they usually do not stop at one....once I know someone has one, that's where my eye always goes too...

2:Weird piercings... if you work at hot topic and have a lip or nose ring, I'm sorry, but I can't take you seriously...

Those are the major things. Minor things are :Smokers are out (we had someone die from smoking complications in the family at 33, after that, every smoker in the family stopped). And of course, people with kids (never get involved with divorced people...they tend to never be happy,also with experience)

so, if the hottest woman in the world started to hit you up, whaat would make you avoid her?
    My deal breakers would be:

1. Bizarre and ignorant prejudices against, for example, black people, gay people, people with tattoos or piercings...
    2. Engaging in absurdly immature and reductionist statements like "divorced people are never happy."

Hard for me to take people like that seriously, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by Colossor View Post
    Sorry Shredder getting off my soap box now
    no worries . I guess I also have a reason why my first experience toward them has left me a little biased. My neighbor down the shore is COVERED in them...and he's acertifiable nut with or without them. after putting up with his annoyances over the years, it's kind of left me jaded ;o)..
    Geek Media -

no worries . I guess I also have a reason why my first experience toward them has left me a little biased. My neighbor down the shore is COVERED in them...and he's acertifiable nut with or without them. after putting up with his annoyances over the years, it's kind of left me jaded ;o)..
    You should probably stop while your ahead. Kinda digging yourself a hole here.
    "Problems Weaver?"

1) I could not date someone who discriminates people based on gender, sexuality or skin color (...and the list would go on).
    2) ...or someone who's life was a messy mess (bills left unpaid, no steady income or any motivation to find one).
    3) ...who treats kids badly (uses physical punishment for instance)
    4) ...or who is messy or does not take care of personal hygiene.

Those are the first I could think of. I'm sure I could continue the list for a long while!
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Just going to step in here with mod-hat on for a sec. Tried to post this earlier, but had some technical difficulties.

Let's please avoid using sweeping generalizations/judgments of others. Everyone's entitled to their own matters of taste, but please stay away from blanket condemnations of others' lifestyle choices.

As you were.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    so, if the hottest woman in the world started to hit you up, what would make you avoid her?
    The fact that she is hitting me up...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Not into a woman with kids, or if she smokes or does drugs, or if she always has to be "out and about."
    Ooooh, that's gonna get much harder with age. Practically every woman my age that I know has children...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Ooooh, that's gonna get much harder with age. Practically every woman my age that I know has children...
    I'll take my chances.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

For me, it's two things.
    1: the most major one is Tattoo's. Ever since I found out how they where made I've hated them.
    Since you didn't answer the intelligent person above that owns the tattoo shop, what does this even mean, "how they where made" - beyond the fact that I believe you might of meant to use the word "were"?

You are writing off a lot of good people when eliminating people with tattoos. I'm currently seeing one that is "covered" in them, and most of my friends and family are as well, and they are all amazing people. I'd like the think I'm a slightly above average human being as well and I also have tattoos.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    tell me about it....The way I figure though, my age range of dating goes from 29-37 or so....but even then...people are having kids at 25 these days, so that's not even a safe number..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    Since you didn't answer the intelligent person above that owns the tattoo shop, what does this even mean, "how they where made" - beyond the fact that I believe you might of meant to use the word "were"?

You are writing off a lot of good people when eliminating people with tattoos. I'm currently seeing one that is "covered" in them, and most of my friends and family are as well, and they are all amazing people. I'd like the think I'm a slightly above average human being as well and I also have tattoos.
    Just a personal preference....as for how they are made, lets just say I'm not a needle fan as a kid...and the thought of spending hours under a needle to get ink jolted into your skin just grossed me out .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    The fact that she is hitting me up...
    we had this discussion in the office, too...so, what if she was the Kate upton of the world, but a total ***** on wheels like some people say Amarosa is? Or a Donald Trump? would you put up with that just because of the hotness? :o)
    Geek Media -

Weird piercings... if you work at hot topic and have a lip or nose ring, I'm sorry, but I can't take you seriously...
    What about piercings you can't see? Would you break it off with her if you discovered she had body piercings? Personally I have several that no one would know about until long after the fact.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by flutterina View Post
    Personally I have several that no one would know about until long after the fact.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    I don't write people off until they give me a good reason, and that usually requires time spent getting to know them for their quirks, and flaws.

About the only thing that could put me off of someone physically at first meeting would be extreme uncleanliness and body odor, but if I was picking up someone in a coal mine, I could forgive that if our first date came after a good shower.

Quote Originally Posted by flutterina View Post
    What about piercings you can't see? Would you break it off with her if you discovered she had body piercings? Personally I have several that no one would know about until long after the fact.
    well, I'd probably be brazen enough to ask ;o). I could probably deal with a belly button ring, even if I think they are gaudy....but anything else...like a va jai jai ring is just too darn disgusting. ;o)

I guess I'm just stuck in a 50's mind set....;o). anything too 'out there' in looks is too much for me ;o). Like the lady I once saw at hot topic. She had SO many piercings, I think the only place that wasn't was the inside of her nose. I mean, seriously....that has to be a little nuts to want to do that to yourself
    Geek Media -

Widget
    I usually have stuck to dating best friends in the past. They were always easy going, understood my social faults and could work past them, we laughed and enjoyed ourselves at the movies, and when the date wrapped up we'd go right back to being causal nerds the next day no strings attached.

To just answer the question title, I can be pretty picky. I've seen a lot of bad examples when some people "just settle" and the relationship suffers afterwards.

He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    Things that stick for me are if you have strong viewpoints that are very opposite on mine in regards to religion/politics and/or the person wants children. We just won't be compatible for the long haul.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

well, I'd probably be brazen enough to ask ;o). I could probably deal with a belly button ring, even if I think they are gaudy....but anything else...like a va jai jai ring is just too darn disgusting. ;o)

I guess I'm just stuck in a 50's mind set....;o). anything too 'out there' in looks is too much for me ;o). Like the lady I once saw at hot topic. She had SO many piercings, I think the only place that wasn't was the inside of her nose. I mean, seriously....that has to be a little nuts to want to do that to yourself
    Well I haven't gone that far...yet

The point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. If there's initial attraction and your personalities seem compatible you should at least try. A lot of people have tattoos and piercings these days, and if you're too shallow you may never meet anyone. Some of the most wonderful, down to earth people I've ever met were a bit scary looking. You need to keep an open mind and give people a chance. Just sayin'

I guess I have the opposite thing. I like girls with piercings and punk hair, but since I'm very "normal looking", those types don't tend to reciprocate with me, and I'm too old and too dependant on my appearance (in my current job at least) to do such a radical alteration. Oddly, I have a tougher time with tatoos. Probably because I'm an artist, so I like drawing skin with as little alterations as possible. It's not a turn off, but just something to get over.

1. Dont like girls into drugs or drinking
    2. Dont like girls who smell
    3. Dont like girls who look like my sister
    4. Dont like girls who are judgemental
    5. Dont like girls who just want to be friends, wont talk to you much any more and MOVE AWAY TO EUROPE WITH A REALLY UGLY GUY!!!!

um.....yeah, something like that...
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

Heroic Warrior
    any port in the storm

I find some traditional Maori tattoos okay.

c71a23bd5975d5d6e7b8f190d5923858.jpg