Thread: Men and Doctors

Widget

Men and Doctors

My boyfriend does not feel very well lately (cough and it does not go away). I said that he should get checked so he can have the correct treatment. The thing is he does not want to. I do not know why but my dad is the same. I do not know what is there to avoid doctors. Why do men "afraid" of doctors?

bluewave,
    If your boyfriend coughs incessantly advice him to drink a lot of lukewarm water or buy a cough syrup from the nearest pharmacy.
    I have no idea why would sick men avoid doctors nowadays.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Well i have the flu and i go to a doctor who tells me .......... I have the flu ? I will be fine in a couple of days , I know it and Doc knows it better then anyone since he has a degree in medical science yet he will sell me a bunch of pills , relief and hope telling me.... i will be fine in a couple of days

Too many people are addicted to pills and worship fools who enjoy playing with our time and money . Skip the GP and go straight to a hospital if you have an emergency situation .

On a positive note , you can score an off day or three from the saltmines if you do humour your boss with a doctors certificate .
    Last edited by MOLKROM; January 8, 2015 at 06:00pm.
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

Some go for every little thing, some go only if it's the direst of emergencies. My mom for example makes up excuses that her cough has gone away but it really hasn't. My dad does his annual checkups etc. (so gender equality right there).

It depends on the individual though, I know some who won't go to a doctor because of some bad diagnosis in their or their families life that caused a lot of pain or death. Others feel the best thing to do is just let your body work it out. Depends and it's not a gender issue but an individual issue.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    bluewave,
    If your boyfriend coughs incessantly advice him to drink a lot of lukewarm water or buy a cough syrup from the nearest pharmacy.
    I have no idea why would sick men avoid doctors nowadays.
    Then maybe this is just an isolated case of a big "boy" being afraid of doctors.

Thanks for all the replies though. I still have a lot of convincing to do.

Heroic Warrior
    1) Women like to say that Men are 'babies' when they're sick. Therefore, many men don't want to show the weakness of actually being sick.

2) Like Molkrom said. Most illness's go away with a little time and rest. EVERY time I've been to the doctor in the past three years, I've walked out not knowing any more than I did walking in. Rest. Fluids. Something Over the counter... OH and don't forget that co-pay at the door on your way out.... It really feels like throwing money away.

I'd like to think nobody is actually AFRAID of a doctor... but afraid of wasting time and money when you don't really feel like going out and wasting either.

I can't afford to go see a doctor. Ever. Getting 2 teeth out in 2013 cost a fortune and required taking out a credit card to do so, and I'm frankly sick of how the medical profession is run as a for-profit business instead of a proper social necessity to help the people in need so I'm not big on the idea of spending thousands of dollars on health care. I also find I have little real reason to go, because well, even if I did know I had a serious issue I lack the money for treatment, or the will to go through with it. If I'm going to drop dead due to some illness I'd rather it be without warning instead of sitting around for months before worrying over it. I don't have any family or dependents that would suffer from my loss. Plus the idea of spending all my money in the last moments of my life on hospital bills seems like a huge waste when I could divert that money elsewhere, let alone spending it all and likely going into deep debt, no doubt putting me on the street, just to save my life. I don't think living broke and without shelter would be all that great in the long run.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewave
    Then maybe this is just an isolated case of a big "boy" being afraid of doctors.
    No, it's quite common, especially for men from our father's generation and beyond. They are afraid and want to think they're invincible and/or will bounce back ("Eh, I don't need a doctor!"). They say that's a big part of the calculation that women live longer than men, because as a gender "rule" men don't go to doctors; and especially not for preventive care, which is much more common for women to visit doctors for. My parents fit that mold; my mom is big on preventive care and won't hesitate to make a doctor's appt., but my dad won't unless something gets "too much" for him and he gives up and has to go, or my mom makes an appt. for him and drags him and makes him go. And usually in those cases, it's a good thing she has.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    1) Women like to say that Men are 'babies' when they're sick. Therefore, many men don't want to show the weakness of actually being sick.
    It seems they don't mind being sick at home, especially if there's a woman to take care of them. Lots of us men like being fussed over/cared for, lol. Like Claire Huxtable says in an episode of "The Cosby Show" when Cliff is sick at home something along the lines of, "A woman can have pneumonia, malaria, and the flu and still function; a man gets the sniffles, and he has to stay in bed for a week." lol
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; January 13, 2015 at 11:15am.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I turn 37 last year and because of an insurance incintive at work, went and had my first physical. I'd been putting it off since I was 30.

It's a good thing I did because it turned out this little red mole I'd had on my upper back for about 6 years turned out to be basal cell carcinoma. In the end it wasn't a big deal (other than a big hunk of my shoulder skin they had to cut off but it could have been much worse.

I got a great check up otherwise (saved me money on insurance cost!) but am now much more adamant about my friends going and just getting checked out.

You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I turn 37 last year and because of an insurance incintive at work, went and had my first physical. I'd been putting it off since I was 30.

It's a good thing I did because it turned out this little red mole I'd had on my upper back for about 6 years turned out to be basal cell carcinoma. In the end it wasn't a big deal (other than a big hunk of my shoulder skin they had to cut off but it could have been much worse.

I got a great check up otherwise (saved me money on insurance cost!) but am now much more adamant about my friends going and just getting checked out.

You never know.
    That is so scary! I'm glad you caught it early. That could have turned really bad, really fast. I'm happy you're okay!
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Except it's not just men, and anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything. I'm sure you can find women who are the same way.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    Except it's not just men, and anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything. I'm sure you can find women who are the same way.
    Sure some women are the same way, it's just that men are largely the gender that stays away from doctors more. I used to work in the news industry and medical segments would point out how many men stay away from doctors as compared to women.

"Too Tough to Get Sick: Why Men Won't go to the Doctor"
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/49794785/ns/health-mens_health/t/too-tough-get-sick-why-men-wont-go-doctor/#.VLaRu2ctGpo

"Men Likely to Put Off the Doctor"
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=116898

"Top 10 REAL Reasons Men Won't Go To the Doctor"
    http://www.dailystrength.org/health_blogs/dr-orrange/article/the-10-real-reasons-men-don-t-go-to-the-doctor

Hopefully this will be changing with younger generations.
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; January 14, 2015 at 10:58am.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

In addition to nasty surprises, I think men don't like doctors because there is a sense of powerlessness. Doctors also act like impatient snobs a lot of the time, so you end up being made to feel weak and dumb. I rarely am given time to ask my questions and fully understand my diagnosis when I see a doctor, so that PLUS waiting hours in an ER and losing a day of work and having to pay as well....it all adds up to a stress. In short - I get it.

For his cough, get a humidifier, drink hot water with honey and lemon and lots of rest.