Thread: DC Direct Animated movies

Hybrid View

DC Direct Animated movies

OK all,

I'm slowly catching up on all of these blu rays, thanks to christmas, and just got done watching crisis on two earths (my favorite so far) and superman doomsday.

Regarding the latter: Anne Hesch was a decent Lois... the design was OK. I didn't care for the look of Superman, however. Something about the design made him appear much older than he probably really was supposed to be. The actual plot of the movie was OK, but I have a feeling that Doomsday was more of a presence in the comic, compared to his 30 minute or so appearance in this film. I think the most interesting part was seeing the superman clone go evil...the subtle way he went about it in rescuing the cat..stopping to pet the cat at just the right moment during the dialogue, was really creepy.

Crisis on two Earths: I LOVED James Masters as Owl Man. Something about the performance made the character fun. I also loved seeing the rhouge's gallery from the alternate earth act as the Good guys. Although, can someone explain to me why Ultraman has a NY sounding accent?
    The plot for this movie, obviously, is what inspired Turtles Forever. The dialouge from Batman was almost copied directly in the speech used for The Shredder. Although, I wonder if the Owl Man's logic was a bit off?

Since that world was already dead, there would be no choices made by Earth Prime's mankind....thus not affecting any of the other earths. If it where destroyed, all the other earths should have went ahead un-effected. However, if he went into the PAST of Earth Prime, before the other Earth's where created, that would have been a different story, no?

I've also watched Public Enemies, but it's been a while on that one so I can't comment.

Up Next, Red hood, apocolypse, and I think one more still to come.

So what are your thoughts on these?

Oh, and WB.. please stop casting baldwins. Thank you
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Under The Red Hood might be my favorite Batman movie ever besides the Nolan films. It nails Batman's inner psyche on how he feels about the Joker and what he wishes he could do about it. It's amazing.

I think the second best DC animated movie is the Wonder Woman one, which sold poorly, but was really well written.

Crisis on Two Earths is mostly fun if you love Batman. James Woods (not Masters) as Owlman was awesome and his interactions with Batman towards the end really hit home with me.

Public Enemies brought nothing new that JLU didn't in better doses when they were on the air. It was a watered down version of those episodes. I really loved the comic though, not the movie.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I think the second best DC animated movie is the Wonder Woman one, which sold poorly, but was really well written.
    It sold poorly? Rounded up, it made $6.6 million. Is that bad for a direct-to-DVD animated movie. I'm genuinely curious. I have the special edition Blu-Ray that came with the action figure. I really loved that movie. It was intense, had humour and a few moments that break your heart.

I have most of the DC movies and I've liked them all. I think they newer ones are getting better.

I haven't seen a few yet, but I plan to watch them all!

The movie that shocked me the most was Green Lantern: First Flight. Something really unexpected happened in it (for me, at least). I like the way the movie looked and I thought the story was done well. I'm not a big GL fan, but I really enjoyed the movie.

EDIT: I just looked it up and so far, the only Direct-to-DVD superhero movies to outsell Wonder Woman are:

Superman: Doomsday @ $9.4 mill
    Batman: Gotham Knight @ $8 mill
    Ultimate Avengers 2: Rise of the Panthor @ $7.8 mill (it outsold the first movie?!)
    Superman/Batman: Public Enemies @ almost $7.7 mill
    Hulk Vs. @ $7.1 mill
    Ultimate Avengers @ $6.7 mill (just outsold Wonder Woman)

She's outsold:

Green Lantern: First Flight @ $5.9 mill
    Batman: Under the Red Hood @ $5.7 mill
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm @ $5.6 mill (which had a theatrical release)
    Superman/Batman: Apocalypse @ $5.3 mill
    The Invincible Iron Man @ $5.2 mill
    Justice League: New Frontier @ $5.2 mill
    Planet Hulk @ $5 mill
    Dr. Strange @ $3.9 mill
    The Next Avengers @ $3.2 mill
    Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam @ almost $2.6 mill
    Watchmen: The Motion Comic @ almost $2.6 mill

I can't find info on a lot of the direct-to-dvd Batman movies from the 90's and The Condor, Mosaic, Hellboy: Blood & Iron, Hellboy Sword of Storms and Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.

I think I have the rest of the movies there, though. I read the Hellboy movies haven't sold well enough to make the third movie. They're holding it hostage until the first two DVDs sell better.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; January 16, 2011 at 06:26pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

It was poor enough, along with Green Lantern, that they decided to scale back to only Batman and Superman movies from this point on.

I'm hoping to see a Long Halloween and Hush movie.

It was poor enough, along with Green Lantern, that they decided to scale back to only Batman and Superman movies from this point on.

That's kind of funny. 3 Superman/Batman movies outsold her...but she outsold the other 3 Superman/Batman movies. That doesn't even factor in all the other ones based on BTAS.

Long Halloween and Hush would be good movies. Even though I guess they're only sticking to Batman/Superman movies, "Blackest Night" would be a really cool movie. Also, the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Under the Red Hood was way good and definitely better than the nolan movies imo.
    MANGLORD'S most wanted MOTUC, GWILDOR and the rest of the 87ers.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...oppers01-1.jpg

Except that there's supposed to be a new GL animated movie coming in the summer. (Obviously, to cash in on the live action flick)

Last I read, Bruce Timm commented that while WW sold well enough in terms of volume, WB was disappointed that she sold consistently over a longer period of time as opposed to high sales right outta the gate w/a significant drop-off. (I know, I'm confused at that too)

So as of right now, there will not be any new movies with a female lead, and it's highly unlikely that there will be any non-Supes/Bats headlining movies, unless there's a live-action movie to tie it into. Other characters seem to be getting relegated to the short films that have been on the last few DVDs. (Spectre, Jonah Hex, Green Arrow, Captain Marvel, etc...)

All-Star Superman releases in February, the GL movie in summer around the live-action flick, and it's rumored that the fall movie will be Batman: Year One.

Overall, WW is my favorite so far, w/Red Hood & Crisis tied for 2nd. Doomsday is at the bottom for me, and the only one I haven't brought myself to watch is Gotham Knight, based on so many mixed reviews I've heard.
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Last I read, Bruce Timm commented that while WW sold well enough in terms of volume, WB was disappointed that she sold consistently over a longer period of time as opposed to high sales right outta the gate w/a significant drop-off. (I know, I'm confused at that too)
    That's craziness.

and the only one I haven't brought myself to watch is Gotham Knight, based on so many mixed reviews I've heard.
    It's not bad, but it's nothing new. If you watched BTAS/The New Adventures of Batman, it's pretty much the same as the one episode when all the kids tell their story about when they met Batman. The movie is a bit more streamlined though. I thought it was good but not the best DC animated movie. It's more interesting than Doomsday. Doomsday wasn't bad...but it wasn't as good as JLU was (Superman vs. Doomsday).

I'd say The Sinestro Corps War would be a perfect sequel to the Green Lantern movie, isntead of Blackest Night. Sinestro even wore the new costume.

The animation on Gotham Knights made me turn it off.

Except that there's supposed to be a new GL animated movie coming in the summer. (Obviously, to cash in on the live action flick)
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of the new Animated Series? I don't think there is a new animated movie coming this summer - or we'd have seen a lot about it by now.

Overall, WW is my favorite so far, w/Red Hood & Crisis tied for 2nd. Doomsday is at the bottom for me, and the only one I haven't brought myself to watch is Gotham Knight, based on so many mixed reviews I've heard.
    Gotham Knight is skippable in the extreme. It just was no fun at all
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV