Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Direct Animated movies

DC Direct Animated movies

OK all,

I'm slowly catching up on all of these blu rays, thanks to christmas, and just got done watching crisis on two earths (my favorite so far) and superman doomsday.

Regarding the latter: Anne Hesch was a decent Lois... the design was OK. I didn't care for the look of Superman, however. Something about the design made him appear much older than he probably really was supposed to be. The actual plot of the movie was OK, but I have a feeling that Doomsday was more of a presence in the comic, compared to his 30 minute or so appearance in this film. I think the most interesting part was seeing the superman clone go evil...the subtle way he went about it in rescuing the cat..stopping to pet the cat at just the right moment during the dialogue, was really creepy.

Crisis on two Earths: I LOVED James Masters as Owl Man. Something about the performance made the character fun. I also loved seeing the rhouge's gallery from the alternate earth act as the Good guys. Although, can someone explain to me why Ultraman has a NY sounding accent?
    The plot for this movie, obviously, is what inspired Turtles Forever. The dialouge from Batman was almost copied directly in the speech used for The Shredder. Although, I wonder if the Owl Man's logic was a bit off?

Since that world was already dead, there would be no choices made by Earth Prime's mankind....thus not affecting any of the other earths. If it where destroyed, all the other earths should have went ahead un-effected. However, if he went into the PAST of Earth Prime, before the other Earth's where created, that would have been a different story, no?

I've also watched Public Enemies, but it's been a while on that one so I can't comment.

Up Next, Red hood, apocolypse, and I think one more still to come.

So what are your thoughts on these?

Oh, and WB.. please stop casting baldwins. Thank you
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Under The Red Hood might be my favorite Batman movie ever besides the Nolan films. It nails Batman's inner psyche on how he feels about the Joker and what he wishes he could do about it. It's amazing.

I think the second best DC animated movie is the Wonder Woman one, which sold poorly, but was really well written.

Crisis on Two Earths is mostly fun if you love Batman. James Woods (not Masters) as Owlman was awesome and his interactions with Batman towards the end really hit home with me.

Public Enemies brought nothing new that JLU didn't in better doses when they were on the air. It was a watered down version of those episodes. I really loved the comic though, not the movie.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I think the second best DC animated movie is the Wonder Woman one, which sold poorly, but was really well written.
    It sold poorly? Rounded up, it made $6.6 million. Is that bad for a direct-to-DVD animated movie. I'm genuinely curious. I have the special edition Blu-Ray that came with the action figure. I really loved that movie. It was intense, had humour and a few moments that break your heart.

I have most of the DC movies and I've liked them all. I think they newer ones are getting better.

I haven't seen a few yet, but I plan to watch them all!

The movie that shocked me the most was Green Lantern: First Flight. Something really unexpected happened in it (for me, at least). I like the way the movie looked and I thought the story was done well. I'm not a big GL fan, but I really enjoyed the movie.

EDIT: I just looked it up and so far, the only Direct-to-DVD superhero movies to outsell Wonder Woman are:

Superman: Doomsday @ $9.4 mill
    Batman: Gotham Knight @ $8 mill
    Ultimate Avengers 2: Rise of the Panthor @ $7.8 mill (it outsold the first movie?!)
    Superman/Batman: Public Enemies @ almost $7.7 mill
    Hulk Vs. @ $7.1 mill
    Ultimate Avengers @ $6.7 mill (just outsold Wonder Woman)

She's outsold:

Green Lantern: First Flight @ $5.9 mill
    Batman: Under the Red Hood @ $5.7 mill
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm @ $5.6 mill (which had a theatrical release)
    Superman/Batman: Apocalypse @ $5.3 mill
    The Invincible Iron Man @ $5.2 mill
    Justice League: New Frontier @ $5.2 mill
    Planet Hulk @ $5 mill
    Dr. Strange @ $3.9 mill
    The Next Avengers @ $3.2 mill
    Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam @ almost $2.6 mill
    Watchmen: The Motion Comic @ almost $2.6 mill

I can't find info on a lot of the direct-to-dvd Batman movies from the 90's and The Condor, Mosaic, Hellboy: Blood & Iron, Hellboy Sword of Storms and Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.

I think I have the rest of the movies there, though. I read the Hellboy movies haven't sold well enough to make the third movie. They're holding it hostage until the first two DVDs sell better.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; January 16, 2011 at 06:26pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

It was poor enough, along with Green Lantern, that they decided to scale back to only Batman and Superman movies from this point on.

I'm hoping to see a Long Halloween and Hush movie.

It was poor enough, along with Green Lantern, that they decided to scale back to only Batman and Superman movies from this point on.

That's kind of funny. 3 Superman/Batman movies outsold her...but she outsold the other 3 Superman/Batman movies. That doesn't even factor in all the other ones based on BTAS.

Long Halloween and Hush would be good movies. Even though I guess they're only sticking to Batman/Superman movies, "Blackest Night" would be a really cool movie. Also, the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Under the Red Hood was way good and definitely better than the nolan movies imo.
    MANGLORD'S most wanted MOTUC, GWILDOR and the rest of the 87ers.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...oppers01-1.jpg

Except that there's supposed to be a new GL animated movie coming in the summer. (Obviously, to cash in on the live action flick)

Last I read, Bruce Timm commented that while WW sold well enough in terms of volume, WB was disappointed that she sold consistently over a longer period of time as opposed to high sales right outta the gate w/a significant drop-off. (I know, I'm confused at that too)

So as of right now, there will not be any new movies with a female lead, and it's highly unlikely that there will be any non-Supes/Bats headlining movies, unless there's a live-action movie to tie it into. Other characters seem to be getting relegated to the short films that have been on the last few DVDs. (Spectre, Jonah Hex, Green Arrow, Captain Marvel, etc...)

All-Star Superman releases in February, the GL movie in summer around the live-action flick, and it's rumored that the fall movie will be Batman: Year One.

Overall, WW is my favorite so far, w/Red Hood & Crisis tied for 2nd. Doomsday is at the bottom for me, and the only one I haven't brought myself to watch is Gotham Knight, based on so many mixed reviews I've heard.
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Last I read, Bruce Timm commented that while WW sold well enough in terms of volume, WB was disappointed that she sold consistently over a longer period of time as opposed to high sales right outta the gate w/a significant drop-off. (I know, I'm confused at that too)
    That's craziness.

and the only one I haven't brought myself to watch is Gotham Knight, based on so many mixed reviews I've heard.
    It's not bad, but it's nothing new. If you watched BTAS/The New Adventures of Batman, it's pretty much the same as the one episode when all the kids tell their story about when they met Batman. The movie is a bit more streamlined though. I thought it was good but not the best DC animated movie. It's more interesting than Doomsday. Doomsday wasn't bad...but it wasn't as good as JLU was (Superman vs. Doomsday).

I'd say The Sinestro Corps War would be a perfect sequel to the Green Lantern movie, isntead of Blackest Night. Sinestro even wore the new costume.

The animation on Gotham Knights made me turn it off.

Except that there's supposed to be a new GL animated movie coming in the summer. (Obviously, to cash in on the live action flick)
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of the new Animated Series? I don't think there is a new animated movie coming this summer - or we'd have seen a lot about it by now.

I personally think the Wonder Woman one is overrated. It was alright, but to me, it was nowhere near as good as Under the Red Hood, Doomsaday, Public Enemies, or Crisis on Two Earths. Granted, I don't really care for Wonder Woman, and at times I find her annoying. I am surprised Under the Red hood didn't sell as much as Wonder Woman, though.

The money made doesn't say much, most people complain that Superman Doomsday is/was the worst of all those yet made the most money.

And WB seems to be into the instant gratification that every human being I run into has. Stupid fast food.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Overall, WW is my favorite so far, w/Red Hood & Crisis tied for 2nd. Doomsday is at the bottom for me, and the only one I haven't brought myself to watch is Gotham Knight, based on so many mixed reviews I've heard.
    Gotham Knight is skippable in the extreme. It just was no fun at all
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

As for actual commentary. Red Hood is great, I didn't care much for the original story that Public Enemies and it's followup were based on. I did watch the follow up and was reminded why I didn't care much for it (seriously 1000 Doomsdays that are easily being taken out by Superman only is noticed by Batman as a distraction?)

Out of the others. New Frontier was good, Green Lantern was great but seen mostly has an alternate reality version (changes to the story for the sake of the movie). Wonder Woman was also great.

Superman/Shazam the main title was good, the other shorts were also great but I have seen most of them with the other movie they came with.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Superman/Shazam the main title was good, the other shorts were also great but I have seen most of them with the other movie they came with.
    The Jonah Hex short is my favorite thing among all the DC Animated movies.

Actually I loved all the Showcases - I'd love if The Spectre was made into a series. So much potential.

Yeah there is a Green Lantern animated series planned.

The main reason these don't make money IMO, is because most people can easily download them before they are released.

Yeah there is a Green Lantern animated series planned.

The main reason these don't make money IMO, is because most people can easily download them before they are released.
    Well...everyone should have bought them from Target during their Black Friday sale for $8.99. They weren't all on sale, but I got 3-4 DCD Blu-Rays for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of the new Animated Series? I don't think there is a new animated movie coming this summer - or we'd have seen a lot about it by now.
    No, I'm aware of the upcoming series, but I've seen a few sites report a few months ago that there would be a new animated GL movie this summer.

As far as seeing a lot of stuff by now, I'm not sure - I wanna say that we usually don't start hearing much about the next flick until the latest one streets, or is close to it. I guess we'll know for sure in a few weeks when All-Star Superman comes out....

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Well...everyone should have bought them from Target during their Black Friday sale for $8.99. They weren't all on sale, but I got 3-4 DCD Blu-Rays for that price.
    Amazon had all of the Blu-Rays on sale (except for Apocalypse) in November for $10.99 each. Grabbed 4 that I was missing. Only ones I don't own on Blu are Apocalypse, Supes/Shazam! & Doomsday. (Doomsday I bought on standard on release day, and considering I like it the least of them all, I will not buy it again)
    Last edited by Skullface; January 17, 2011 at 09:19pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    This space for rent, apparently.....

No, I'm aware of the upcoming series, but I've seen a few sites report a few months ago that there would new a new animated GL movie this summer.

As far as seeing a lot of stuff by now, I'm not sure - I wanna say that we usually don't start hearing much about the next flick until the latest one streets, or is close to it. I guess we'll know for sure in a few weeks when All-Star Superman comes out....
    Looks like you're right (according to Wikipedia):

Green Lantern: Emerald Knights

Green Lantern: Emerald Knights is a direct-to-video animated feature that has been confirmed by Warner Home Video. Similar to Batman: Gotham Knight, it will be an anthology film that tells a series of stories featuring various members of the Green Lantern Corps, including Abin Sur, Sinestro, Kilowog, Mogo, and Rori Dag. A release date of June 7, 2011 has been reported for the film.

I'd like to see an Alan Scott movie.

I've actually liked all of them in some way, but mostly loved Wonder Woman, Under the Red Hood, and Crisis on 2 Earths the most. The rest had drawbacks, but they were all still pretty good to watch and had good ideas. The only ones I haven't cared to rewatch are Batman Gotham Knight and Public Enemies because I hated the animation style used in both (one looked overdone, the other looked under). I can't advise someone else though because I'm too much of a sucker for animated superheroes.

Amazon had all of the Blu-Rays on sale (except for Apocalypse) in November for $10.99 each. Grabbed 4 that I was missing. Only ones I don't own on Blu are Apocalypse, Supes/Shazam! & Doomsday. (Doomsday I bought on standard on release day, and considering I like it the least of them all, I will not buy it again)
    Oh wow, that's cool! The only DC ones I'm missing are Apocalypse, Super/Shazam!, Under the Red Hood and Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths. I have most of those Marvel ones as well. I know there are a bunch of new ones that just came out/are coming out...but I have no clue anymore. Superheroe movies are coming out of the woodwork now.

Loved Wonder Woman, PE, GL and Apocalypse! I can't get into ones with the big billing movie star voice actors something just is really off with those for me outside WW. Hopefully I get one a year with the original guys and girls.

I love these!!!!

I still need to watch Under the Red Hood and buy GL and WW, but they're all great.

I'd love to see these as new movies:

-Hush
    -All-Star Batman and Robin
    -Blackest Night
    -anything with Cassandra Cain
    -The Killing Joke (first R-rated DVD?)
    -Knightfall/Knightsend/etc.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I'd actually like to see less reliance on adapting comics and more original stories.

As much as I enjoy them, I'd rather get something where I don't know how it will end and where it doesn't have to be hacked down to fit into 70 minutes.

To this point I think only Red Hood has surpassed the original material.