Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Direct Animated movies

I liked it
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I thought Doom was great. I love that they pretty much maintained the Crisis on 2 Earths/Young Justice style of animation. It was great to hear Carl Lumbley and Michael Rosenbaum back as J'onn and the Flash. I hope they can get this group together again.

Another instant classic by the great Dwayne McDuffie. There was an awesome tribute to him on the DVD. He was a great man.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Yeah it was pretty good, but also kind of short. It ended right when it got to the good stuff. I hope there's a sequel, but mostly it just makes me sad we don't still have a Justice League cartoon on TV.

I liked Claudia Black as the Cheetah a lot, probably the best realization I've seen of that character in film/TV since the original Super Friends (and really, better than that too since that was just campy). I'm usually more of a Priscilla Rich fan, but Minerva was pretty good.

Damn though, Aquaman just can't catch a break. They left him out again! He even got back in with Crisis on 2 Earths but he's MIA here.

Also, I thought there was a bit of a plot hole. Batman created his contingency plan to take out the Justice League in case any of them were compromised by mind control or possession or something--but the plans involved manipulating their own personalities. Doesn't that mean the plans wouldn't work if the leaguers were acting under control or durress--in effect not themselves? Batman didn't actually have good plans for neutralizing a lot of their powers. If Flash were taken over by Lex Luthor's mind--as happened in the JLU show--Batman's plan wouldn't stop him. Heck, the plot for Wonder Woman effectively made her a bigger threat to the public. They blamed Savage for that saying he'd changed the plans--but then I'm not sure what he got from Batman then if he did that. Also Batman said his own contingency in case he himself ever went rogue was the league itself--but the league kind of proved they were "damned fools" about all of this. What would Batman vs the League actually look like? Anyway, lots of cool ideas that the movie only really touches on lightly. That's unfortunate. But still, a lot of fun to watch.

That Superman vs The Elite looks kind of blah to me though. And where the heck was the DC Spotlight short?! I'm going through withdraw here!

Not sure how much of the plans were changed by Vandall Savage. But some of them could have been to snap them out of the mind control. For example Hal's might snap him out of mind control.

It could have been generalizations, no specific plans.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Yeah it was pretty good, but also kind of short. It ended right when it got to the good stuff. I hope there's a sequel, but mostly it just makes me sad we don't still have a Justice League cartoon on TV.

I liked Claudia Black as the Cheetah a lot, probably the best realization I've seen of that character in film/TV since the original Super Friends (and really, better than that too since that was just campy). I'm usually more of a Priscilla Rich fan, but Minerva was pretty good.
    Damn though, Aquaman just can't catch a break. They left him out again! He even got back in with Crisis on 2 Earths but he's MIA here.
    Also, I thought there was a bit of a plot hole. Batman created his contingency plan to take out the Justice League in case any of them were compromised by mind control or possession or something--but the plans involved manipulating their own personalities. Doesn't that mean the plans wouldn't work if the leaguers were acting under control or durress--in effect not themselves? Batman didn't actually have good plans for neutralizing a lot of their powers. If Flash were taken over by Lex Luthor's mind--as happened in the JLU show--Batman's plan wouldn't stop him. Heck, the plot for Wonder Woman effectively made her a bigger threat to the public. They blamed Savage for that saying he'd changed the plans--but then I'm not sure what he got from Batman then if he did that. Also Batman said his own contingency in case he himself ever went rogue was the league itself--but the league kind of proved they were "damned fools" about all of this. What would Batman vs the League actually look like? Anyway, lots of cool ideas that the movie only really touches on lightly. That's unfortunate. But still, a lot of fun to watch.

That Superman vs The Elite looks kind of blah to me though. And where the heck was the DC Spotlight short?! I'm going through withdraw here!

When it comes to seeing Aquaman in this I am of the opinion that Dwayne McDuffie wrote these stories with the original DC Animated Justice League in mind after the events of Starcrossed. So the orignal 6 minus Hawkgirl who had quit. This and Crisis are, to me, the adventures of the remaining 6 until they start the JLU. Of course there is no John Stewart as Green Lantern and I don't know if that is how McDuffie wrote it or, now that Hal Jordan is back, someone else swooped in and changed it to Jordan. With his relation to Star Sapphire in this story it makes more sense for GL to be Hal Jordan.

Who knows if this takes place before or after Crisis or if the two stories are just indenpendent of each other; I tend to believe they are independent of each other but it would be pretty cool if they were connected. Maybe they can do the current New 52 Justice League story and have them fight Darkseid. Michael Ironside, of course.

In regards to Batman vs the League the closest I've seen was the episode of Batman The Brave and the Bold were Owlman steals Batman's original costume, breaks into the Bat Computer and takes down all of Batman's allies. Now Owlman was an evil version of Batman and he was able to take them down with ease, granted he wasn't fighting Superman or Wonder Woman however he did take out Blue Beetle, Guy Gardner and Green Arrow.

You are right on the money when it comes Claudia Black as Cheetah. The only thing I could think of that would be better than Claudia Black voicing Cheetah would be her playing Cheetah in a live action TV show or movie. That would be a sight to behold. But all joking aside she really added some class to this version of the Legion of Doom. They seemed like more of a threat with her in it even though Cheetah is technically the weakest member.
    Last edited by Piccolo Daimaoh; March 3, 2012 at 11:33pm.
    Until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    When it comes to seeing Aquaman in this I am of the opinion that Dwayne McDuffie wrote these stories with the original DC Animated Justice League in mind after the events of Starcrossed. So the orignal 6 minus Hawkgirl who had quit. This and Crisis are, to me, the adventures of the remaining 6 until they start the JLU. Of course there is no John Stewart as Green Lantern and I don't know if that is how McDuffie wrote it or, now that Hal Jordan is back, someone else swooped in and changed it to Jordan. With his relation to Star Sapphire in this story it makes more sense for GL to be Hal Jordan.

Who knows if this takes place before or after Crisis or if the two stories are just indenpendent of each other; I tend to believe they are independent of each other but it would be pretty cool if they were connected. Maybe they can do the current New 52 Justice League story and have them fight Darkseid. Michael Ironside, of course.

In regards to Batman vs the League the closest I've seen was the episode of Batman The Brave and the Bold were Owlman steals Batman's original costume, breaks into the Bat Computer and takes down all of Batman's allies. Now Owlman was an evil version of Batman and he was able to take them down with ease, granted he wasn't fighting Superman or Wonder Woman however he did take out Blue Beetle, Guy Gardner and Green Arrow.
    yea...batman's superpower is "crazy preparedness"

and make no mistake, i think it makes him just as unrealistic as superman.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post

You are right on the money when it comes Claudia Black as Cheetah. The only thing I could think of that would be better than Claudia Black voicing Cheetah would be her playing Cheetah in a live action TV show or movie. That would be a sight to behold. But all joking aside she really added some class to this version of the Legion of Doom. They seemed like more of a threat with her in it even though Cheetah is technically the weakest member.
    RE Aquaman, I didn't mean to imply this is the same continuity as the Crisis movie exactly. The music theme and character designs are the same, but the voice actors being different and the status quo being slightly different suggests that continuity isn't quite there. I just meant Aquaman can't seem to ever be a regular JLA member in any of the TV shows or movies. He was supposedly added to the roster in Crisis, yet in this the closest thing to a sequel he's back to being a no show. As far as this relating to the JL show, the movie definitely touched on themes and ideas that were in JLU. Batman leaving (and forming the Outsiders) almost happened in the show. The Hall of Doom in the swamp and then going into space all happened there. I can see this movie being a combination of several ideas really. Star Sapphire and Hall were probably both added in place of whatever would have happened with John. I wonder if Shayera might have been in the Star Sapphire role at one point. She'd most likely have helped the JL by the end of course.

RE Batman vs the League, I wonder if it'd be like pitting Wolverine against the X-Men. At some point it starts to get disrespectful to the other characters for all of them combined to be challenged by Batman alone. It's one of him is worth all of them. Only they're DC's whole star roster so you'd think DC would be trying to make them all look better than that.

RE Cheetah, the bad girls always seem to make the villains more dangerous to me for some reason. I saw the Adam West Batman movie as a kid, but mostly I remembered Catwoman (probably because she was the last person standing during the overboard final fight). The Kryptonian villains in Superman 2 were more menacing for Ursa than for the two guys. Evil-Lyn made Skeletor's gang more evil somehow. And Super Woman in Crisis on Two Earths felt like the most dangerous member of the Crime Syndicate. Somehow, the right homicidal villainess can just tip that balance. But Black had the best presence of the LoD in this movie. Finally we made good on that Cheetah cameo from the end of the Wonder Woman movie!
    Last edited by gbagok; March 4, 2012 at 12:34am.

I didn't like it. I hated the artwork! It was so much worse than their other movies, I was so disappointed! It just didn't work for me. I've pretty much forgotten everything about it and I just watched it on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    RE Aquaman, I didn't mean to imply this is the same continuity as the Crisis movie exactly. The music theme and character designs are the same, but the voice actors being different and the status quo being slightly different suggests that continuity isn't quite there. I just meant Aquaman can't seem to ever be a regular JLA member in any of the TV shows or movies. He was supposedly added to the roster in Crisis, yet in this the closest thing to a sequel he's back to being a no show. As far as this relating to the JL show, the movie definitely touched on themes and ideas that were in JLU. Batman leaving (and forming the Outsiders) almost happened in the show. The Hall of Doom in the swamp and then going into space all happened there. I can see this movie being a combination of several ideas really. Star Sapphire and Hall were probably both added in place of whatever would have happened with John. I wonder if Shayera might have been in the Star Sapphire role at one point. She'd most likely have helped the JL by the end of course.

RE Batman vs the League, I wonder if it'd be like pitting Wolverine against the X-Men. At some point it starts to get disrespectful to the other characters for all of them combined to be challenged by Batman alone. It's one of him is worth all of them. Only they're DC's whole star roster so you'd think DC would be trying to make them all look better than that.

RE Cheetah, the bad girls always seem to make the villains more dangerous to me for some reason. I saw the Adam West Batman movie as a kid, but mostly I remembered Catwoman (probably because she was the last person standing during the overboard final fight). The Kryptonian villains in Superman 2 were more menacing for Ursa than for the two guys. Evil-Lyn made Skeletor's gang more evil somehow. And Super Woman in Crisis on Two Earths felt like the most dangerous member of the Crime Syndicate. Somehow, the right homicidal villainess can just tip that balance. But Black had the best presence of the LoD in this movie. Finally we made good on that Cheetah cameo from the end of the Wonder Woman movie!
    I don't think you implied that these movies have a related continuity. I was just speculating on the topic. Just thinking outloud. It would have been something if Hal Jordan and Star Sapphire had been replaced by John Stewart and Shayera Hol.

I'm with you all the way when it comes the Claudia Black. It would be great if they used her more in these DCU animated movies. Strong female villains usually make the best ones. Gina Torres was incredible as Superwoman. It makes it even more terrifying that instead of being based off Wonder Woman, like she was in the comic, this Superwoman was just a full grown Mary Marvel. That battle they had when the Justice League just arrived in the alternate dimension plus the battle in the sky really make that movie for me. Then when they get to the Watchtower and have to fight Batman and the heroes he teleports in for backup, just "YEAH" moments one after the other in that film.
    Until now.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Doom was excellent. Not as good as Crisis, but definitely better than any of the Superman standalones and better than both Public Enemies and Apocalypse.

However, why are we getting another Superman standalone next (not to mention, like All-Star, it does not look at that exciting)? What happened to The Dark Knight Returns pt1 being out in time for when Rises hits theaters? Plus, I am sick of seeing Superman. I want to see an All-Star Western movie, Teen Titans, Metal Men, another Multiverse story, Flash, or even one on the New 52 Aquaman.
    Last edited by Dr Kain; March 4, 2012 at 01:50pm.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

After some poor sales a couple of years ago they said they'd focus more on Batman and Superman movies, which include the JLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Doom was excellent. Not as good as Crisis, but definitely better than any of the Superman standalones and better than both Public Enemies and Apocalypse.

However, why are we getting another Superman standalone next (not to mention, like All-Star, it does not look at that exciting)? What happened to The Dark Knight Returns pt1 being out in time for when Rises hits theaters? Plus, I am sick of seeing Superman. I want to see an All-Star Western movie, Teen Titans, Metal Men, another Multiverse story, Flash, or even one on the New 52 Aquaman.
    Warner thinks people only buy Superman and Batman movies. They have decent backing on that, so what they started doing is making these Justice League movies to get more brand awareness.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

Wonder Woman and Green Lantern didn't sell fast enough for WB. That means WB is only making Batman, Superman and Justice League movies.
    I guess the only way we'll see other heroes is through special features like that Supeman/Shazam movie.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Wonder Woman and Green Lantern didn't sell fast enough for WB. That means WB is only making Batman, Superman and Justice League movies.
    I guess the only way we'll see other heroes is through special features like that Supeman/Shazam movie.
    That's funny considering that when I worked at Best Buy, we sold out of both WW and GL on Day 1, but they plagued us with three times the number of Public Enemies and JLCrisis, and only sold through half of the stock they sent us. However, I guess because they sent out three times the amount, which sold out half, when even though GL and WW sold out completely, they are considered failures because they only had a third of the sales of those due to less stock. What a brilliant sales strategy.

Personally, I feel Wonder Woman and Green Lantern First Flight are the best of all of the movies outside of Under the Red Hood, which is my second favorite (and WW is third).
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

It's the same problem with female action figures. They are lucky to have half as many made as any of the male figures. Then the companies turn around and say we sold fewer. Despite the fact that male figures are still on the shelves and females are sold out, they sold fewer. That is all they look at.

In most places Wonder Woman and Green Lantern sold well over time, doing better then some of the Superman stuff which sold most of it's product within a week or two.

We live in a day, where first day sales are for some reason more important then sustained sales. Our song hit number 1 the week of release, doesn't matter every one hates it. Man we are glad we don't have those songs 40 years ago that lasted at number 1 for months at a time because it's first day sales were horrible. Sure in the long run it sold more but that's not what matters. All that matters is opening day.

And yes I do also.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    It's the same problem with female action figures. They are lucky to have half as many made as any of the male figures. Then the companies turn around and say we sold fewer. Despite the fact that male figures are still on the shelves and females are sold out, they sold fewer. That is all they look at.
    Female action figures don't sell when produced as much as the male figures. They tend to pegwarm terribly. Female figures only sell when they are shortpacked.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Female action figures don't sell when produced as much as the male figures. They tend to pegwarm terribly. Female figures only sell when they are shortpacked.
    I would be kind of curious on numbers, not that I disagree. I know part of the collecting issue that comes up is hard to find figures in a fairly popular line tend to create a drive.

My question would be do they pegwarm just as much as male figures in similar situations.

I would also be curious if the numbers are still pretty high.

The reason I brought it up, is simply put. When you make 100k of figure and only half of them sell, and another you only make 10k they all sell out and then come up and say the first sold better the question is did it really? And pegwarming in that sense may not be a real indication of how well something is moving. Look at Lion-o and Mumm-ra in the current Thundercats line they made considerably more of those two then anything else. Did they sell well? yes, but they made way too many. but if you look at the pegs it looks like they didn't move.
    Last edited by wyldman11; March 4, 2012 at 08:13pm.

I loved Doom. I think it was their best yet. Bless Dwayne McDuffie's soul No one got and respected Wonder Woman's character more than he did.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

I did not watch Doom yet, but is there anyplace where I may see "Superman vsThe Elite" trailer?
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    I did not watch Doom yet, but is there anyplace where I may see "Superman vsThe Elite" trailer?
    I don't recall it being a trailer more a preproduction idea, showing early footage etc.

It's weird though, because usually they have the voice actors talk about their roles and this time they didn't.

Superman vs. The Elite

Newest animated movie from DC. Superman arrests Atomic Skull. He escapes and kills someone and Superman is blamed for not executing him the first time. Meanwhile Superman meets a new team of superheros, called the Elite. Unlike Superman, they will kill. The media turns in their favor and decides Superman might no longer be needed.

This was really good and the most Superman Superman I've seen. It goes to the core of his morals and character and really defines who he is in the grand scheme of superheros.

See it.

Yeah, considering I had no idea who the Elite were and wasn't that interested in them at the start, this made for a compelling movie. I liked that they still called it "The American Way" even as they criticized American entitlement in the movie.

Gotta give some credit to Robin Atkin Downes, the voice of Manchester Black. He's a horrible Mumm-Ra, but he steals the show here as Black. For most of the movie I thought it was Robert Carlyle.

Another classic that really surprised me. I wasn't really all that interested in the comic when it came out but I gave it a chance and loved it. I got a real Superman II The Donner Cut feel from this one and, again, I loved it.
    Until now.

Outside of the horrible design for Superman (it looks like he swallowed Rush Limbaugh) I thought it was well done. It is about time they make an animated stand alone Superman movie good. Doomsday and All-Star were terrible. I especially love when Superman pretended to throw away the morality card and wish we could get some stories of him actually like that.