Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: DC Direct Animated movies

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    I remember seeing the sales for many of those releases and Wonderwoman and Green Lantern still did better then half the Batman and Superman animated films so I do not know what the hell there on to think otherwise.
    I don't quite understand it either. I've seen the sales numbers for WW and GL too and they seemed strong. But speaking anecdotally, I've also seen the WW and GL titles show up quite frequently at discounters (Big Lots, 5 Below) -- more often than any of the other DC titles.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I think most of us would. But DC wasn't happy with the sales of the Wonder Woman or Green Lantern titles, so if it can't feature Supes and Bats in some capacity (solo, duo or part of the JL), they're not interested at this point. At various points they had considered Teen Titans, Aquaman and Flash releases that now may never see the light of day.
    Which is funny because I still consider Green Lantern First Flight to be the best of them all, then would come Batman Under the Red Hood, and finally Wonder Woman. Plus, I do not know how they consider them to be poor sellers. We sold out of both of them on the first day at Best Buy.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

The sales numbers were slower and over a few months were as most of the sales of the Batman and Superman related stuff are mostly the weekend it comes out.

The entertainment business is now built off instant hit impulse buys.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Yeah, it's a shame about the short term vs longer term profits. I'd lament that they need to use these animated movies to drum up attention to the non-Batman and Superman characters, but the Green Lantern movie shattered that illusion for me. Not only were the animated movies better, but they obviously didn't help a mediocre movie look better. Wonder Woman, with a few changes like explaining that invisible jet, might have been big as Iron Man if that had been a live action movie (I say might because deep down I do fear that wider audiences are as sexist as WB thinks).

RE the newest Batman animated movie: isn't Clint Eastwood voicing Batman in an upcoming animated movie? I'd thought it was for Dark Knight Returns part 1, but now I see it's Robocop himself (which is classic since Michael Keaton is going to star in the new Robocop movie). Personally I dislike Miller's Dark Knight as anything but a part of the distopian 80s future kick along with Blade Runner and Akira. I vastly prefer Batman Beyond as the future of Batman--although I hate what it did to Tim Drake.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2

Wow, all and any criticism I had on part 1, this more than makes up for. It felt like an entirely different animal. It's almost everything the second half of the graphic novel was. Of course the graphic novel is far superior, but the spirit of it is captured. The inner dialog and some actual dialog is missing from the climax, but the fine points are driven home hard.

By now Gordon retires and the new chief has no interest in letting Batman roam around Gotham. Meanwhile, the Joker is fully motivated in killing again now that Batman is back. Behind the scenes Reagan is secretly fighting the Cold War with a special weapon.

I loved this. Might be my favorite Batman animated movie, right behind Under The Red Hood. It's also some of the darkest and most violent animated Batman, not meant for kids. Gotta see this.
    Last edited by SCB; January 13, 2013 at 03:43am.

Heroic Warrior
    I am so tired of all these films about Batman or Superman.

Were is the Teen Titans movie.

Were is more Supergirl.

Were is more Green Lantern.

Were is more Wonderwoman.

So much potential lost to just the "main two".

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    I am so tired of all these films about Batman or Superman.

Were is the Teen Titans movie.

Were is more Supergirl.

Were is more Green Lantern.

Were is more Wonderwoman.

So much potential lost to just the "main two".
    the problem with super girl is that most DC people probably think fans want that ugly G cup Power Girl design. no thank you. Give me S:TAS version and you've got a deal
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

I want Flash movies!!! Especially ones that cover Barry. I want a full length Spectre done in the same style as the Showcase short. And a full length Hex movie. Or hell, how about another batch of Showcases that cover like the JSA, Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, the Metal Men, the Doom Patrol, etc.

That Teen Titans movie was canceled. Dini announced this back in 2011 that WB did not give it the final approval.

They said no more Wonder Woman because its sales were poor compared to those of Batman and Superman movies.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Heroic Warrior
    The Wonder Woman sales were not that bad at all.

I know the Teen titans one was cancelled it doesn't mean I don't want it though. I think they are just making excusses again so not to have anything different.

It would be nice to see one for Flash, The Question, Batgirl, Nightwing, Wondergirl, etc.

Personally I don't care much for Powergirl with her kryptonian breast implants but I like supergirl particularly the one they used for that second Batman/Superman animated movie they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    That Teen Titans movie was canceled. Dini announced this back in 2011 that WB did not give it the final approval.

They said no more Wonder Woman because its sales were poor compared to those of Batman and Superman movies.
    DC is a part of warners. both don't know what the hell they are doing .
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Dark Knight Returns Part 2 rewatch

Just re-read the graphic novel this weekend and re-watched part 2. I didn't realize the movie filled in some great lines not in the book along with some action only implied in the book. They did an amazing job with part 2 and avoided the voice over to boot. Didn't work as well with part 1, but nailed it in part 2 where it was not needed.

Peter Weller did a great job, but the guy that voiced Superman is perfect. That's how Superman should sound.

I don't know if Nolan borrowed from this novel, but there are some parallels since both are and endings for Batman.

- - - Updated - - -

Dark Knight Returns Part 2 rewatch

Just re-read the graphic novel this weekend and re-watched part 2. I didn't realize the movie filled in some great lines not in the book along with some action only implied in the book. They did an amazing job with part 2 and avoided the voice over to boot. Didn't work as well with part 1, but nailed it in part 2 where it was not needed.

Peter Weller did a great job, but the guy that voiced Superman is perfect. That's how Superman should sound.

I don't know if Nolan borrowed from this novel, but there are some parallels since both are and endings for Batman.

It's been said that Nolan followed Batman Year One for Batman Begins and following that used Dark Knight Returns for Dark Knight Rises.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Superman: Unbound
    The newest animated movie from DC features a new take on how Superman met Braniac. Superman is well established at this point in his life, although Lois is unclear and unsatisfied on where she stands with him. Meanwhile, a rookie Supergirl is still trying to figure out her role on Earth and in Clark's life. After Superman gets in a fight with an alien robot, Supergirl realizes it's one of Braniac's drones and it means impeding doom for her new home world.

Well I never read the graphic novel, but the movie was a typical Superman story. It's the kind of story that makes us like Superman, but also forget about him because he's not as interesting as the idea of Superman. It's good, but stories like Superman vs. The Elite and All Star Superman made him stand out as a force of nature that is needed in this world, rather than just a force of good.

There's a twist and moral in this movie that I liked, but you've seen this theme before in a couple of other really popular sci-fi stories.

Voice acting was good. Superman sounds like Superman. Lois has a bit of edginess to her that she always should have. Braniac kind of forgettable. Supergirl was okay.

I really enjoyed Unbound because it was action packed and had a lot of great one liners. This is by far the best version of Lois ever!! She was snarky and the scene when she gives Brainiac the finger was priceless. By far the best of the Superman movies, albeit, that isn't saying much.

I liked Unbound, although something about the character designs seemed off-putting to me. Lois looked like a villain with the heavy eye shadow, Brainiac looked a bit too much like Martian Manhunter, his ship which is normally so menacing here looked a little goofy like it was salvaged from a design intended for Futurama, and I didn't like Superman having such a thin face in animation. Also I think I noticed several animation errors/glitches and lips not matching in places (which I probably only noticed because the designs bothered me). Otherwise I liked it a lot. They put such a exclamation mark on Kara and Jimmy first meeting that I was sorry that never played a part later. I liked the Kandor stuff and Kara's parents, but the ending made me think they intend to do a sequel to this with the New Krypton story. I don't remember, but weren't Superman/Batman: Public Enemies and Apocalypse roughly in continuity with each other? I wonder if this lines up with those, or if they intend to follow it up at least.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Yes, Apokolips (aka Supergirl) is a sequel to Public Enemies. PE was like issues 1-6 of Superman/Batman while Supergirl was in issues 7-12. After that, the Superman/Batman comic went down hill really quickly.

Now DC Comics publish MOTU comics...is it possible a DC direct animated movie about MOTU after the live movie?

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBoyRM View Post
    Now DC Comics publish MOTU comics...is it possible a DC direct animated movie about MOTU after the live movie?
    I highly doubt it; but if the corssover with DC is a success and Mattel gets a great deal, a movie about it shall be freaking awesome!!!!!!
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

All the Superman/Batman stories written by Jeph Loeb have continuity. After he left for Marvel, they were no longer worth reading and neither was he

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBoyRM View Post
    I don't hold much hope for the MOTU vs DC comic given how bad the MOTU was and how bad the writing is for DC these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I liked Unbound, although something about the character designs seemed off-putting to me. Lois looked like a villain with the heavy eye shadow, Brainiac looked a bit too much like Martian Manhunter, his ship which is normally so menacing here looked a little goofy like it was salvaged from a design intended for Futurama, and I didn't like Superman having such a thin face in animation. Also I think I noticed several animation errors/glitches and lips not matching in places (which I probably only noticed because the designs bothered me). Otherwise I liked it a lot. They put such a exclamation mark on Kara and Jimmy first meeting that I was sorry that never played a part later. I liked the Kandor stuff and Kara's parents, but the ending made me think they intend to do a sequel to this with the New Krypton story. I don't remember, but weren't Superman/Batman: Public Enemies and Apocalypse roughly in continuity with each other? I wonder if this lines up with those, or if they intend to follow it up at least.
    They were all in continuity, this is a story that took place just after all that in Action Comics.

For the most part I liked it, at a few points it focused a bit too much on action imo but still a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    It's been said that Nolan followed Batman Year One for Batman Begins and following that used Dark Knight Returns for Dark Knight Rises.
    I can see that, as a huge batman fan I noticed he also uses some long halloween, knightfall, knights end, prodigy and even Batman TAS and Batman Beyond. lots of folks poo-pooed Rises but I loved it and all the nods to those stories.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I can see that, as a huge batman fan I noticed he also uses some long halloween, knightfall, knights end, prodigy and even Batman TAS and Batman Beyond. lots of folks poo-pooed Rises but I loved it and all the nods to those stories.
    I am a person who hated TDKR. One main reason is that Batman quits beingBatman for years because someone he loved died due to a villian/situation of his making? He BECAME batman because his parents, someone he loved, died horribly in front of him due to a situation of his making. You would think this would galvanize him and make him even colder/darker and more harsh on those that break the law. This is just the tip of the iceberg on why I didn't like the movie.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    I am a person who hated TDKR. One main reason is that Batman quits beingBatman for years because someone he loved died due to a villian/situation of his making? He BECAME batman because his parents, someone he loved, died horribly in front of him due to a situation of his making. You would think this would galvanize him and make him even colder/darker and more harsh on those that break the law. This is just the tip of the iceberg on why I didn't like the movie.
    Not true. I watched that spot again SPECIFICALLY because people cite this as an issue, he NEVER says he quit because rachel, he DOES say he quit because they won. He says to Alfred "Rachel died she WAS my escape plan" in an argument with alfred about why he is BACK as batman. Alfred was pleading with him to quit.

If you hate the movie that's fine, to each their own (I thought Iron man 3 was GARBAGE now that it's sunk in - I liked it as mindless candy for a while, and Avengers for me doesn't hold up but I still like it as fluff) but I just want people to hate the movie for reasons it IS guilty of, not for a misinterpreted or misheard line of dialogue.

People (incl myself) love The dark knight returns, but it's also very 'unbatman' to quit being batman because the gov't said so. I have this theory, there are two Batmen. the mythological batman, and the 'human' batman. (i know neither exist but this is in the minds of fans)

The mythological batman can essentially do no wrong. he is driven, brilliant, nearly infallible, the pinnacle of and above human excellence. Nothing stops him from his crusade, there is no problem he can't solve and no enemy he can't defeat given the right amount of time.

The Human Batman is the one that gets tired, longs for love, gets lonely, makes mistakes, takes a drug to get stronger because he failed, reveals his identity to women, wants to settle down and hang up the cowl.

both these batmen exist in the comics, they exist together in one character, but we tend to prefer the myth, the excellence of batman that makes us generally forget the human failings and feelings that he sometimes goes through.

But he has gone through all those things in the comics. the difference between the comics and the movies is that he always comes back, one way or another, nothing in the comics is set in stone in the universe, movies don't work that way and as such we are less forgiving when something goes against the myth of the characters we love.

I likened it to Muhammad Ali, for many the Greatest of all time, but he lost fights, he is now frail due to parkinsons, but the fans remember Rumble young Man Rumble. The original people's champion. it didn't matter if he lost matches, he became a legend because of his accomplishments. there are fighters with better records now, but none of them are the champ that ali IS.
    Last edited by krosfyah; June 4, 2013 at 12:58pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

But it is still inferred that she is part of the reason for quitting(he quit again for catwoman, oops sorry she never went by that name lol) but I understand what you mean. Batman, as most of us would think of him, would not ever quit.

However, I came to the realization that in the Nolan version, this Batman is more realistic, so there IS a point where a man would break and stop doing something. When I think of it that way the movies as a whole aren't bad.

However, that said, I still am not a huge fan of the 3rd movie and NOT because of the quitting. That is just one reason.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!