Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Direct Animated movies

All-Star Bats would be hilarious. Never going to happen, but I'd love it if it did.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I'd actually like to see less reliance on adapting comics and more original stories.

As much as I enjoy them, I'd rather get something where I don't know how it will end and where it doesn't have to be hacked down to fit into 70 minutes.

To this point I think only Red Hood has surpassed the original material.
    I completely agree, plus it seems they really cut loose with the original material. I think the adapted material probably sells better due to name recognition, but that the creators are sort of hampered by it.

Joaquim Dos Santos, who directed all the shorts, ought to be given carte blanc to just do whatever he wants! He could do an Inferior Five movie and SOMEHOW it would be killer!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post

Joaquim Dos Santos, who directed all the shorts, ought to be given carte blanc to just do whatever he wants! He could do an Inferior Five movie and SOMEHOW it would be killer!
    I agree. I thought Superman/Shazam was just OK, but I absolute love Hex, Spectre and Arrow.

I wish they'd give him a Showcase series. Two 10-12 minute shorts making up each episode. And keep staying away from the "headliners" - DC has so many interesting characters that it could run for years.

I wouldn't mind seeing a showcase series of even DVDs like that. I think the problem with Superman/Shazam was they tried to push in the origin story and not just focus on telling a story like they did with the others. Basically it felt rushed and like they wanted to fit too much into it.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I really wish the Wonder Woman movie would have been the Challenge of Artemis adapted, instead of another origin re-hash.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

I loved Batman: under The Red Hood, Superman/Shazam!, & Batman/Superman: public Enemies the most. Crisis on Two Earths could have been #1 for me if Kevin Conroy had been Batman's voice. Of the short films, The Spectre one completely blew me away.

I have loved them all for different reasons. If I had to pick them the 2 I watch the most are:

Superman Batman Apocalypse - The Michael Turner art style just translates so well to animation that it is uncanny and the women remain sexy. It is a great follow up to Public Enemies and I hope Vengeance won't be far behind.

Crisis on 2 Earths - This was originally supposed to be the movie that bridges Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, that's why it was written by Dwayne McDuffie. The story is great and the action is incredible. Every battle is a super-hero throw down. More bang for the buck.

I also find myself watching Wonder Woman and Green Lantern when I don't feel like a team up. Bruce Timm and the crew have the golden touch when it comes to DC animated and I don't think they have done a bad one.
    I am anxiously awaiting All Star Superman, arguably the best Superman story in the past 20 years.

All Star Superman

Just finished it. Actually really good, one of the best Superman stories. It's completely different than whar we're used to seeing. It's how Superman should be.

Good to hear! Our region doesn't get until Feb 22, I have it all set for pre-order. Is it like 50s superman or have an old school feel? Kinda digged that with New Frontier.

No. It's something completely different. It's a classic Superman in modern times I guess. Not sure how to describe it. The general plot is that Superman is dying and he does everything Superman can in the time he has left and it's totally in charecter.

It's not out here yet either, but you can find it on the "internet" if you can't wait.

Apparently there is a new Teen Titan DC direct title coming out.

I wanted to like the series when it was on, but didn't care much for the extreme anime style. The goofier moments stood out like a sore thumb with the more darker look of the series.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    All Star Superman

Just finished it. Actually really good, one of the best Superman stories. It's completely different than whar we're used to seeing. It's how Superman should be.
    i agree , my wife was surprise with the way the story was going

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    Apparently there is a new Teen Titan DC direct title coming out.

I wanted to like the series when it was on, but didn't care much for the extreme anime style. The goofier moments stood out like a sore thumb with the more darker look of the series.
    Is this the Judas Contract? I thought that had been shelved.

Also if and when they ever did a Teen Titans movie, I doubt it would be in the same style or continuity as the TV show as the movies have all been stand alone. The TT comic got excessively dark though IMO. Way too high of a mortality rate for a team full of teenagers, makes the adult heroes look irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Is this the Judas Contract? I thought that had been shelved.

Also if and when they ever did a Teen Titans movie, I doubt it would be in the same style or continuity as the TV show as the movies have all been stand alone. The TT comic got excessively dark though IMO. Way too high of a mortality rate for a team full of teenagers, makes the adult heroes look irresponsible.
    I forget the title.. I popped in my Batman BEyond Season 3 disc and it was in there as one of the previews where they go to Japan!
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

That is/was Trouble in Tokyo, basically a movie set in the shows continuity.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    I forget the title.. I popped in my Batman BEyond Season 3 disc and it was in there as one of the previews where they go to Japan!
    Yeah, that one came out in 2006.

Member of the Royal Family JimmyPSHayes's Avatar
    OK, I'll be the odd guy out. I REALLY hated All Star Superman. A. Lot. I almost stopped after like the first 15 minutes, but then it was a "no, I'm gonna watch this thing through to the end, cause it's GOT to get better". And, in my opinion, it never did. Hated the art. I would've proffered a different style all together than WBA trying to adapt Quitely's style. Anyways, not trying to be an a-hole, I just really didn't care for this.
    I love it when a plan comes together.

All Star Superman - Some Spioilers -

I just watched it yesterday and I think it's not only one of the best DC Animated movies but a beautiful one. I maybe sensitive, but I felt it very emotional in many scenes. Probably since it was Dwayne McDuffie last DC movie, who I think has improved some plot holes of the comic.

++Spoilers++

It's quite a pity that if someone has not read the comic may not get the whole story right, and I really wished they'd find a way to include a scene with the death of Jonathan Kent.
    Although, I must confess that I shed a tear when Superman dying is in front of his earth father grave and meets Martha who is taking flowers as well and says something like this: "son, you look thin, are you feeling well?"

Also,there was something odd with Superman killing (??) Solaris... that is the only weak point of the whole movie.

++Spoilers end++

I do hope that DC movies keep improving this way (eager to watch "Batman: year One" already) and I quite hope that someday they would be available at the theaters again.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

I thought All Star Superman was a little too episodic. I thought the animation style was good (I didn't think Superman's cape looks good like that though), and the voices worked very well. I just felt like a really good story might have been in there, but they tried to keep too many disconnected parts of a multi-year series. A lot of them just came out of nowhere and then disappeared there with no real impression on the overall movie. Atlas and Samson were probably the worst. Bar-El and Lilo stood out to me as really cool and yet really not a good fit for the movie either. I particularly liked that their theme music recalled Jerry Goldsmith's Supergirl score. Kandor was just wasted. But stuff like Parasite in the Jail, and Lex and Clark's interaction was really good and briefly seemed like they were going somewhere. I think the part I liked most was Lex's epiphany while he had Clark's powers. Somehow the whole just didn't equal the sum of its parts.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I thought All Star Superman was a little too episodic.
    I felt that way too, but kind of shrugged it off, since it was based on a monthly comic. I liked it overall, but Grant Morrison gets TOO cosmic for me. I felt that way about his Justice League comic, too. Too much metaphysics. Stuff is TOO grand, TOO epic. But I hate to fault someone for having too much imagination.

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyPSHayes View Post
    OK, I'll be the odd guy out. I REALLY hated All Star Superman. A. Lot. I almost stopped after like the first 15 minutes, but then it was a "no, I'm gonna watch this thing through to the end, cause it's GOT to get better". And, in my opinion, it never did. Hated the art. I would've proffered a different style all together than WBA trying to adapt Quitely's style. Anyways, not trying to be an a-hole, I just really didn't care for this.
    You're not alone, I really didn't like All Star Superman either. They just tried to cram too much material into too small a time frame. On the other hand, from what I gather, at least they didn't rewrite the whole story like they did with Superman Doomsday. What's weird is that even though it felt like they tried to cram too much in, it was also obvious to me they left a bunch a stuff out, and I've never read the comics this is based on. I checked out wikipedia after it was over to confirm my suspicions.

I should add that I still enjoyed the movie as animated comic book action (fisticuffs or not), and like I said there were ideas in there that were really cool. As an approach to Superman, it's not my preference, though I think it's interesting how much Superman's Fortress of Solitude starts to feel less solitary with all the robots populating it like an army of Alfred Pennyworths. However I don't mean to dismiss this one like, say, Brainiac Attacks or even Gotham Knights. I'm sure I'll look at the movie again, but I probably won't revisit it as much as others in this series. I was disappointed no Spotlight short was in this too BTW. This might have been the first one I liked more than the movie it came with since I found the movie so uneven.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    I felt that way too, but kind of shrugged it off, since it was based on a monthly comic. I liked it overall, but Grant Morrison gets TOO cosmic for me. I felt that way about his Justice League comic, too. Too much metaphysics. Stuff is TOO grand, TOO epic. But I hate to fault someone for having too much imagination.
    I know what mean, and Solaris is another element that just comes out of nowhere for me. Luthor made a deal with it? It was a lot like the Center in New Frontiers but without the benefit of the build up throughout the movie. I've seen worse mind-benders though I guess.

I am one of the people who thought All Star Superman was one of the best Superman stories written in the last 30 years. I loved the animated movie and thought it was very true to the comic.
    For those who haven't read the comic, as mentioned before, Superman is dying and must complete 12 feats/miracles. If it seems too episodic to you then you are right, in the commentary Grant Morrison says he wrote it to be like the episodes of a tv series yet with the over arking story that Superman is dying and must complete his feats before he passes.
    I wouldn't change a thing about what they did but I would add the last day with Jonathan Kent, the Bizzaro story and maybe the Jimmy Olsen as Doomsday story.
    The design was a very well transition from Quitely's original artwork and I loved that they stayed true to the look and build of Superman, a big guy with a somewhat realistic build. Plus, Superman is back to being a scientist. It was a great testament to the works of the late, great Dwayne McDuffie.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Tower of Babel movie in the works

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=194&itemid=19962

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Tower of Babel movie in the works

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=194&itemid=19962
    Not sure how I feel about this news. I was not crazy about the story and felt there were better stories out there they could have done.
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.--Optimus Prime ROTF