Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Direct Animated movies

Looks like Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns is next in a two part movie. Wonder why it's two parts?

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Looks like Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns is next in a two part movie. Wonder why it's two parts?
    Too much story to cram into ~70 minutes.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Too much story to cram into ~70 minutes.
    Too bad they didn't think of that when they did Superman vs Doomsday. Or The New Frontier. Or several others that should not have been squished into 70 minutes.

Amazing how these are made to be direct to video, yet, they seem to only make the freaking things 70 minutes long when some of the stories require more than that.

This just shows they have no excuses now to not adapt Hush, The Long Halloween, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Flashpoint, and Blackest Night into animated movies. Heck, they should do a Crisis on Infinite Earths movie series.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Too bad they didn't think of that when they did Superman vs Doomsday. Or The New Frontier. Or several others that should not have been squished into 70 minutes.

Amazing how these are made to be direct to video, yet, they seem to only make the freaking things 70 minutes long when some of the stories require more than that.

This just shows they have no excuses now to not adapt Hush, The Long Halloween, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Flashpoint, and Blackest Night into animated movies. Heck, they should do a Crisis on Infinite Earths movie series.

I'll take one of each, please.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Too bad they didn't think of that when they did Superman vs Doomsday. Or The New Frontier. Or several others that should not have been squished into 70 minutes. Amazing how these are made to be direct to video, yet, they seem to only make the freaking things 70 minutes long when some of the stories require more than that.
    I would bet the 70 minutes requirement is a budgetary thing. If a live action move goes long, its not really such a big deal. There is some extra resource cost, but nowhere near the expense of animating extra minutes.

I don't think its that cut and dry. To do a 2 part movie means they have enough faith that it will be popular (and well received) enough that people buy the 2nd feature - and that there is a big enough market for what is essentially a 50.00 MSRP movie.

I doubt New Frontier, for example, would have made enough money to satisfy WB if it was in 2 parts. In fact, most of them probably wouldn't. This one is more of a unique case. Not only is it one of the most famous/revered Batman stories, but it has the tie-in to the new movie that everyone expects will be an absolute monster.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; June 21, 2012 at 04:52pm.

Anyone remember this little gem?

Yep, and that is exactly why Michael Ironside is the only one I can accept as that version of Batman. Just like Darkseid.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

The Dark Knight Returns: Part 1

Animated version of Frank Miller's epic story that changed the tone of Batman. The story follows a retired and old Bruce Wayne still in Gotham with Commissioner Gordon getting ready to retire, but the city is overrun with a criminal gang known as the Mutants. Bruce puts on the costume one more time and tests his body out against the new breed of criminals.

This was good, but severely lacking the tone and Regan era fascism context of the graphic novel. If this is your first experience with DKR, then I'd go find a copy of the text and enjoy that as well. Batman's inner monologue was really needed in this to add to the dark humor and tone. Still this was good, not great. The ending brings the entire story full circle while setting up a fun sequel.

I liked Robocop as the voice of the older Batman. Look forward to part 2, hopefully Big Blue shows up, get the feeling he won't based on this. If he doesn't, might be pointless.

Wait, you saw it already?

How does Batman's voice compare to Michael Ironside? Also, does it use techno music like they did when they showed in BTAS or did they go for another classical score (which does not fit this)?

He sounds good for the older Batman. No techno music or dead pan dialog, a lot softer tone on Batman compared to the BTAS interpretation.

Wow, I was already not happy with them not having Michael Ironside do the voice, but the lack of techno music really ruins this for me. Maybe I will pass on it afterall.

anyone that isn't Kevin Conroy will always not sound like Batman to me.

I didn't think it was so bad. I can't wait for the 2nd part. I know they will eventually release one big uber disk with both parts and that is what kills me.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    anyone that isn't Kevin Conroy will always not sound like Batman to me.

I didn't think it was so bad. I can't wait for the 2nd part. I know they will eventually release one big uber disk with both parts and that is what kills me.
    I love Kevin Conroy as much as the next, but not every incarnation of Batman fits his voice.

No idea what techno music has to do with this story. That's something the animated series used as background music. You can always blast Daft Punk in the background while watching.

No idea what techno music has to do with this story. That's something the animated series used as background music. You can always blast Daft Punk in the background while watching.
    Because the music is a highly important piece of a movie. If the music sucks, 90% of the time the movie sucks.

I've never heard anyone request techno music for a Batman movie. What music would you choose for a Hush movie?

I've never heard anyone request techno music for a Batman movie. What music would you choose for a Hush movie?
    The same music as BTAS.

DOes it really matter though? The reason I wanted techno music for this movie is the same reason I wanted Michael Ironside to voice this version of Batman. That is the way I heard The Dark Knight Returns stuff down ala BTAS, and then when I read the actual comic in 2005 that is the voice and music I heard in my head. It's the same music they used for Batman Beyond.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    The same music as BTAS.

DOes it really matter though? The reason I wanted techno music for this movie is the same reason I wanted Michael Ironside to voice this version of Batman. That is the way I heard The Dark Knight Returns stuff down ala BTAS, and then when I read the actual comic in 2005 that is the voice and music I heard in my head. It's the same music they used for Batman Beyond.
    So if one adaptation of a story from another medium doesn't do the same thing as another adaptation, it's going to suck?

Ironside was a good voice, and if it worked for you, that's great, but that may not be how others have heard it. Personally, "old Batman" in my head, in that style, tends to sound like Clint Eastwood to me.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Heroic Warrior
    I enjoyed them all but Dark Knight Returns should be a nice adaptation of the greatest Batman graphic novel ever.

But who thinks DC should do animated movies based on Vertigo titles like Swamp Thing, Constantine: Hellblazer, Transmetropolian, American Vampire, The Sandman and others?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    So if one adaptation of a story from another medium doesn't do the same thing as another adaptation, it's going to suck?

Ironside was a good voice, and if it worked for you, that's great, but that may not be how others have heard it. Personally, "old Batman" in my head, in that style, tends to sound like Clint Eastwood to me.
    No, it just leads to disappointment. I'll be getting it regardless (I do have Gotham Knights and All-Star Superman after all), but my expectactions have been lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I enjoyed them all but Dark Knight Returns should be a nice adaptation of the greatest Batman graphic novel ever.

But who thinks DC should do animated movies based on Vertigo titles like Swamp Thing, Constantine: Hellblazer, Transmetropolian, American Vampire, The Sandman and others?
    I really enjoyed the Jonah Hex and The Spectre. I'd watch more of those. A Swamp Thing movie could be really good.

Heroic Warrior
    Swamp Thing would be kickass too and i could see Ron Perlman be Swampy's voice
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    Would I wouldn't give to see them do DC properties that do not use Batman or Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    Would I wouldn't give to see them do DC properties that do not use Batman or Superman.
    I think most of us would. But DC wasn't happy with the sales of the Wonder Woman or Green Lantern titles, so if it can't feature Supes and Bats in some capacity (solo, duo or part of the JL), they're not interested at this point. At various points they had considered Teen Titans, Aquaman and Flash releases that now may never see the light of day.

Heroic Warrior
    I remember seeing the sales for many of those releases and Wonderwoman and Green Lantern still did better then half the Batman and Superman animated films so I do not know what the hell there on to think otherwise.