Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: DC Direct Animated movies

So far, I've seen 'Superman: Doomsday', 'Justice League: The New Frontier', and 'Wonder Woman. I'll try to explain my thoughts on them as best as I can.

'While 'Doomsday' wasn't completely faithful to the 'Death Of Superman' story, it was at least better than 'Brainac Attacks'. (Which doesn't carry the 'DC Universe' label, but whatever.) Still, this movie could've been better if more thought went into it, but it wasn't terrible.

'New Frontier' was A solid film showing how people of all walks of life can overcome A common enemy. It's also A good representation of how these characters would look, and behave in the Kennedy era. Thankfully, the overall tone of this movie doesn't reflect the 'silver age' silliness of that age because let's face it, all kinds of silliness went on in DC comics at that time, and most fans still cringe over that era in comics.

'Wonder Woman' (AKA 'Wonder Woman Vs. Doc Oc.') was probably the closest we'll get to A feature length film of our favorite amazon since Warner Bros. proper still can't get their act together with DC super heroes that aren't Batman. It's A good updating on her basic origins, and A good coming of age story. The only big flaw in this one is how they couldn't explain The Invisible Jet properly. Since Themiscyra has some kind of magic force field protecting them from the outside world, they should've used that to explain how they might've used magic to make the jet invisible, or if it was actually Steve Trevor's jet that they made invisible. Other than that, solid movie, and I hope to see the rest of them at some point.
    Last edited by mbaker; June 5, 2013 at 08:13am.

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)

Flashpoint was the mini series that transitioned DC into the new 52 continuity. I only read the Batman portions of it, so most of it was really unfamiliar to me.

The Flash (Barry Allen) is at his mother's grave, wishing he could have prevented her death when he was a child. After an encounter with Zoom, he's motivated to save her. It's unclear what exactly Flash did, but the entire world has changed because of it. Europe is destroyed by the Atlantians and the Amazons invade Great Britain. Both have declared war on the rest of the world and on each other. Barry never got his powers, Bruce's dad became Batman after watching his son die, it's a pretty awful world.

That's about as much I want to give away. A ton more happens and it's awesome. I think it's one of the best DC animated films they've made and they've made some killer home runs. This is raw and often times just so dark, but it's amazing.

Whoever writes or directs this stuff needs to give the live action people tackling Superman/Batman a crash course on how these core characters interact when meeting for the first time.

Must see.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    This was a very well done movie

Maybe I have to watch Flashpoint again but I just didn't like it. I REALLY hated the character designs/proportions. Superman had a tiny pinhead in many scenes and it was just really distracting for me.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Heroic Warrior
    Who'd love to see Peter Chung (Aeon Flux, COPS 88 show and Ninja Turtles 87 first 2 seasons fame) do The Killing Joke as a movie?

And how about some Vertigo titles like Swamp Thing and Constantine or Sandman?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Who'd love to see Peter Chung (Aeon Flux, COPS 88 show and Ninja Turtles 87 first 2 seasons fame) do The Killing Joke as a movie?
    I wouldn't.

I love Peter Chung, and I love The Killing Joke, but I don't see that as a good stylistic marriage.

Justice League: War

I actually forgot I read this story issue by issue when it first started to hit comic shelves. And watching this adaption, I remembered why.

This is the new 52 version of how the JLA met and got together. If you just follow the DC animated films, the events of Flashpoint sorta rebooted and changed the universe and now we have this.

It's not bad, but pretty generic as far as a JLA story goes. It's slightly more interesting than the comic, but pretty accurate to the source material, which was also kind of whatever.

I don't know, it's alright. Batman and Wonder Woman probably have the cool moments. If you're a Batman fan, he's given his Batman moments where he shines the most amongst his more powerful team mates. Wonder Woman is fun to watch interact with everyone really.

They really raised the bar with Red Hood, DKR 1 and 2, and Flashpoint, so this really pales in comparison, but hopefully they get back on track with the Damian movie next.

There is a JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time DVD movie release that is a Target exclusive that was released this past week.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...e-league-film/

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Personally. I would love it if they went back and made movies out of the old Elseworlds stories.

Like:

Batman:
    Gotham By Gaslight
    Holy Terror
    In Darkest Knight

Superman:
    Red Son
    Speeding Bullets

Green Lantern:
    Evil's Might
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Justice League: War

They really raised the bar with Red Hood, DKR 1 and 2, and Flashpoint, so this really pales in comparison, but hopefully they get back on track with the Damian movie next.
    This was the first one in a really long time that I didn't like.

It had the thinnest of stories, was about 80% fight scenes and was full of dialogue that sounded like what 40 and 50 year-old men think is cool.

I thought it felt like it was 3 hours long.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    This was the first one in a really long time that I didn't like.

It had the thinnest of stories, was about 80% fight scenes and was full of dialogue that sounded like what 40 and 50 year-old men think is cool.

I thought it felt like it was 3 hours long.
    LOL! That was the criticism of the actual series a few years ago!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    LOL! That was the criticism of the actual series a few years ago!
    The series was just as bad. It was clearly created as an excuse to let Jim lee draw as much cool stuff as he wanted.