Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I make a mistake getting the 2011 Sub?

Heroic Warrior

Did I make a mistake getting the 2011 Sub?

So I signed up for my first sub in 2011, which i was ok with at first. Then I get my Vikor figure a bit early, which i am also happy with.....

But..... I live in CA so the charge for my first figure was $31.50 after tax & shipping...

Im not a guy who needs to have them all right away, although I do want them all (and have mostly all of them)

Last year I bought lots of figures from my fellow ORG'ers here on this site, I got some great prices & purchased multiple figures at one time..

When I do that math on the extra $11.50 each time I get a figure, I am now getting a bad feeling in my stomach when I do that math

Can anyone make me feel better by telling me why I didnt make a mistake???

Or why anyone would from CA get a sub?

On ebay and etailers $31-35 seems to be the price + shipping, and not living in CA I pay 28.70, so you're only paying an extra $2.80 than I am, plus saves you time getting on the site and getting disappointed and looking for the cheapest buy on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajac71
    'Picture it, Eternia.......'

Quote Originally Posted by He-Man Pab View Post
    Speaking as a non-VIKOR owner, I don't think you made a mistake. And you can easily sell any stuff you don't want to losers like me. It's a seller's market!

I'd get a subscription, but I just can't seem break my annoying habit of buying food, gas, and paying rent.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

When I do that math on the extra $11.50 each time I get a figure, I am now getting a bad feeling in my stomach when I do that math
    No offense, but welcome to the world of international buyers, where standard sub-figures cost 42 USD including shippment.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

If you were going to get them all anyway, you can consider the additional expenditure a multiplayment plan on the sub bonus figure and to never have to deal with Matty more then once a year.

Otherwise, well, take some Tums.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Soft.Delicious.Nutritious Matt79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    No offense, but welcome to the world of international buyers, where standard sub-figures cost 42 USD including shippment.
    Sorry, no offense, but a standard sub-figure costs me $29.95. We both live in the same country.

Hmm let's see.

- Not having to deal with WSOD, Capcha, stress, rescheduling your life once a month.
    -Getting your figures early, before most people.
    -Having your figure sitting next you on sale day while others experience a 2 minute sell out.
    -Looking at Toyfair and SDCC pics of upcoming figures and knowinf they are yours.
    -The bonus figure
    -the wild women, the wild women

I had a lot of catching up to do when I started my MOTUC collection. Over a period of ~2-3 months I was able to buy ~90% of my collection's figures from other He-Man.org members for ~$15-$22 shipped. Since Nov., 2010, I've been paying full price for figures as they come out. So I'd say it depends on whether you want to wait a few months down the road after each figure has been released before you go looking for them, which will save you money especially if you don't mind getting them sent to you loose. If you do this then I'd recommend contacting people early about taking the sub figures they don't want off their hands like Pre-Eternia He-Man and the Etheria map, both of which you can only get with a subscription.
    Know that this method is a bit of a gamble because you don't know what figure is going to end up being hard to find. For me I ended up paying $30 each for Moss Man and Man-At-Arms recently, but that's still about what you're paying for new figures now anyway right?
    You will always, always find a better deal from He-man.org members than you will on Ebay!

Last edited by AdultCollector; January 19, 2011 at 03:35pm.

How can a guy in Germany get a figure for $29.95, when I live in the US and to order one figure costs me about $32 shipped? I always hear the international guys complain, but I dont see the reason if this is the case.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    If you wanted everyone then yes you were right to get the sub.

The way I see it you'd be paying the same per figure including shipping and tax regardless of if you bought the whole subscription or each individually.

Actually you will notice it in future months when you get the monthly and quarterly figures shipped together that you should actually be saving on shipping. It costs more to ship them separately.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Money does suck but hey man if you want to collect it then money don't matter or dont collect it.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    At least you don't have to worry about getting the sub exclusive figure with having a sub. That's my only problem with not having a sub.

I want NEARLY everything they release but I never see myself getting a sub. Some months I just wont have the $100+ extra in the middle of the month for MOTUC stuff. I do just fine paying attention to ebay and the .org marketplace when I have the extra funds to play catch up on my collection and most of the time you can easily find deals for several bucks cheaper than straight from Matty. Especially if you live in a state that loves to tax the **** outta everyone like NY for example.

Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    How can a guy in Germany get a figure for $29.95, when I live in the US and to order one figure costs me about $32 shipped? I always hear the international guys complain, but I dont see the reason if this is the case.
    I'm in the same club. Lots of international guys get them cheaper than I do to NY after shipping/taxes which I was surprised to see. Although sometimes they get screwed by customs...so I guess it all evens out. I will say that taxes and customs both suck though!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Hmm let's see.

- Not having to deal with WSOD, Capcha, stress, rescheduling your life once a month.
    -Getting your figures early, before most people.
    -Having your figure sitting next you on sale day while others experience a 2 minute sell out.
    -Looking at Toyfair and SDCC pics of upcoming figures and knowinf they are yours.
    -The bonus figure
    -the wild women, the wild women
    Don't forget the ripping and the tearin'.

But seriously, the matty shipping charges are BS. I'm in the LA area and me and a few other friends bought a bunch of subs to share the cost of shipping. The best thing to do would have been to hook up with other collectors or at least buy two subs. At least then the charges are split amongst two figs and the incremental shipping charge for another fig isn't much.

The peace of mind from not having to deal with the matty site every month. That alone make having a subscription a good deal.

I have to go to the site three times that I know of (weapons rack, SDCC, vehicle) to get something and I'm already dreading it. Plus I'll get the cool exclusives without paying an arm and leg.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Sorry, no offense, but a standard sub-figure costs me $29.95. We both live in the same country.
    Then I NEED to know what I'm doing wrong.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

The high shipping costs are why I don't buy single figures from Matty anymore, it's cheaper to go through the org. There has to be at least two figures for me to buy to justify the high shipping costs.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    I would say you did, if only because it rewards them for the atrocious service and quality control that this line continues to show several years in.

Instead of fixing their issues, they dangled the carrot of an "all-in" subscription, and people jumped at it. Now, the people who don't want all the figures are doing Mattel's job for them-selling overstock.

They promised a figure for everyone that wants one when this line started. What they neglected to mention was that you would have to buy over a dozen more to ensure you would get it. And it will have two left hands.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

That is only if you buy one figure and choose international post.
    It takes a month to get your figure though and when it gets lost there is no insurance.

If you buy more and customs checks you, you are over the 50 Euros limit
    You will be slapped with Import and handling costs.

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    No tracking shippment...

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks guys, lots of great feedback, some actually made me feel better. To respond to some...

Im not exaclty sure if its a great sellers market anymore, I've been trying to sell my extra count marzo for cost & no one seems to bite. & the orgers have great prices.

If international buyers are paying $42 then I shouldnt feel as bad I guess.

Not having to worry about logging on is a plus, & as someone said, seeing the upcoming figures knowing i get them is cool. Although I want the palace guards & thats going to cost extra for shipping this month.

All in all Im feeling a bit better

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    So I signed up for my first sub in 2011, which i was ok with at first. Then I get my Vikor figure a bit early, which i am also happy with.....

But..... I live in CA so the charge for my first figure was $31.50 after tax & shipping...

Im not a guy who needs to have them all right away, although I do want them all (and have mostly all of them)

Last year I bought lots of figures from my fellow ORG'ers here on this site, I got some great prices & purchased multiple figures at one time..

Or why anyone would from CA get a sub?

Well, the shipping for a single figure can be pretty high ($8.70 is the standard shipping charge when ordering a single figure), the per-item pricing does get better when multiple items ship together.

For example, on a month where there is a standard "monthly" figure and a "bonus" figure, you're shipping charge should still be just $8.70 (though you will still pay tax on the other figure).

The more items that ship together, the better of a deal the shipping is. And since most months will likely have a bonus figure or oversized beat/figure/item, it shouldn't be too bad.

Also, as awesome as it is that you got those good deals from the marketplace here, it does sound like they likely came at a loss for the people who originally bought them. Now, you shouldn't feel bad about that. If the sellers agreed to sell them for that prices that you paid them, then they agreed to it, and you did nothing wrong. They could have insisted on a higher price. How much of a 'loss' they took depends on how many figures they ordered together originally (if they got several at once, then the per-figure shipping wasn't as bad).

But none the less, the point kind of boils down to the fact that the good deals that you got were likely subsidized by other people's wallets in a round-and-about way. Now, I'm not a fan of "scalpers" or "resellers" who mark these things up to get a huge profit. But if someone buys these figures and then later on decide they don't want them, don't need them, or they need to sell them off for some extra cash, I don't think it's unreasonable for some people to try to get back what they originally paid (including any initial tax/shipping), plus the cost of shipping the item to the new purchaser. So, if you got many of the figures in your collection for anything less than that, you should consider yourself lucky for that, but not feel 'ripped off' for now buying the figures for roughly the same prices that many of the people you bought those other figures off of likely paid in the first place.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

if you don't want preternia heman (for a decent price) and don't mind dealing with wsod and/or secondary market, then yeah, you made a mistake.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    if you don't want preternia heman (for a decent price) and don't mind dealing with wsod and/or secondary market, then yeah, you made a mistake.
    It's only a mistake if he consistently gets the figures from the secondary market for less than the cost of getting them from Matty. Dealing with the WSOD and ordering directly from the site does not present him with any real advantage since the tax and shipping will be the same amount for the same figure whether it comes from the sub or from a direct website order.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    It's only a mistake if he consistently gets the figures from the secondary market for less than the cost of getting them from Matty. Dealing with the WSOD and ordering directly from the site does not present him with any real advantage since the tax and shipping will be the same amount for the same figure whether it comes from the sub or from a direct website order.
    dealing with wsod = hell

sub = heaven

I think its only a mistake if you're luke warm on the toyline. I've only skipped three figures, so theres a good chance I'll be fine buying anything they release.