View Poll Results: Who Is The Female Lead For The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Teela!!!

    181 44.04%
  • The Sorceress!!!

    36 8.76%
  • She-Ra!!!

    188 45.74%
  • Other(please explain)!!!

    6 1.46%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 336

Thread: Who Is The Female Lead For The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

  1. #51
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I don't like this unlikely teamup of Mr. Shokoti and MGM in this thread.

    Bout time they found something they could agree about Teela on!
    I have frequent team-ups with my opponents. Join me, Marzo! Or get laid out in the middle of the ring with a cattle prod as 200X fans spray-paint "200X" on your bare chest, as the audience throws food and soda! (Holds up a 200X Gang Jacket)

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    She-Ra almost showed up in the He-Man film. She has the wicked awesom concept art! They probably felt He-Man needed his own movie without She-Ra so it could focus more on him. I bet she would have been in the sequel! Not sure if a script for that is floating around anywhere.
    The thing about She-Ra is that they have to explain her presence unless BOTH characters are being promoted simultaneously. She-Ra could easily be her own movie or a sequel.

    I still think something was screwed up in NA and She-Ra was supposed to visit He-Man and they accidentally said "Teela" or someone saw She-Ra and thought that WAS Teela.
    I wish we could ask Jack Olester about her appearance, but Misty Taggart wrote that episode. Maybe he does know something.

    If MYP had continued, She-Ra would have been introduced. It was cancelled before she came into the picture. She always has to make a grand entrance.
    Unfortunately the nature of Adora/She-Ra is that she has to be this "Everything you know is wrong; you really have a sister that we never told you about" reveal. While The 'Ra is absent, Mattel can use Teela is the alpha female.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

  2. #52
    Spirit of She-Ra ! Angel-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    4,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Having a separate brand doesn't necessarily mean you are bigger. Does that mean, due to the 2002/MYP era featuring Snakemen in the title before it was cancelled, that King Hiss & his cronies are bigger than Skeletor & his Evil Warriors or even Hordak & The Horde? Elmo has had his own movie and tons of popular toys. Is he bigger than Kermit, Miss Piggy, or even Big Bird in the minds of most Muppet fans or just the select group that he is targeted towards?
    In the public eye I believe it does! Also, as you said in the initial post for the purposes of this question POP is not a seporate brand. This is looking at everything Masters of the Universe all stood together. She-Ra has and does sell product in her own right and as part of the MOTU brand. Teela on her own does not sell product as she is not as recognisable with the public. She does not have calanders, T-Shirts, Birthday cards etc. Where it counts is with the general public as who they remember, not us as crazy harde core fans,would be the bench mark of the true iconic character of this franchise, and they are He-Man, She-Ra & Skeletor!

    IMO Teela DOES have to compete with She-Ra in these arena's in order to take the title of the most Iconic Female character from the entire Masters of the Universe franchise. They are a part of the same universe of characters and if Teela was the Iconic Female character she would be the focus of these branding opportunities, but she is not. She has only ever sold as a supporting member of the MOTU brand! For a short while before the cartoon series she was the lead female but from the moment of Filmation's creation The Sorceress would have been the lead IMO, that is until She-Ra's inception. Teela is no more than an important character who supports her lead character, similar to Bow or Glimer support She-Ra. To a pre filmation fan I can understand this argument as she was the Goddess, and then Teela the clone of the Goddess.

    However, that cannon is not what took MOTU Global. It is commony accepted within this fan comunity and in the wider associated communities that would be intrested in these matters that The Filmation MOTU cartoon is and was the vehical that took the brand to the masses. So the Teela that the majority of people saw and knew was a support character. Even though she appeared in one episode of NA and the live acton film, where She-Ra did not She was still a supporting character[/B] for the main character He-Man. The filmation cartoons ARE a unified universe and even the Sorceress would rank more highly than Teela.

    She-Ra in all of her appearances never played second fiddle to any character ever!!!! But Teela has always done so. She-Ra is more powerful than Teela, She-Ra is 10,000 more recognisable with the public. This make She-Ra more iconic!!!! If I could liken your argument to anything it would be like saying Lois Lane is more important to the overal DC Comics brand than Wonder Woman. Now this would be a fair coment when only looking at Superman's specific story, but within the entire DC brand of characters there is no way that Lois Lane stands up to Diana. Diana is the iconic female heroine of the DC brand Just as She-Ra is the iconic femle heroine of the MOTU brand.

    The question being asked here is not who is the most important female character within He-Man's personal story, but it feels to me like you are pushing that premise in these arguments. But trying to apply this premise to the entire brand (which is everything all in) does not make logical sense IMO. Teela has NEVER lead the brand, she is a supporting character in every showing she has ever made. she always helps He-Man in leading the brand.

    She-Ra has never been a supporting character, her story played out as one of equal importance to He-Man's back in then 80's, just as it is now in MOTUC. In all of her 93 cartoon episodes, numerous books comics ets she stands toe to toe with He-Man in importance,and as a co leader of the brand. It just does not register in my mind how you can honestly argue that a supporting character is more iconic than the premier female character of this unified universe.

    Were you asking the question who is the most iconic female character in He-Man's story then I would say Teela takes the top price, but the brand is more than just He-Man's persona story it's bigger than that. I stick to my guns. Lining up all of these characters and the overall story, Teela does not stand up to She-Ra in terms of recognisability or importance neither does she have any where near as much comerical viability.
    Last edited by Angel-T; May 29, 2011 at 05:34pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

    I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

    IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

  3. #53
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    IMO Teela DOES have to compete with She-Ra in these arena's in order to take the title of the most Iconic Female character from the entire Masters of the Universe franchise. They are a part of the same universe of characters and if Teela was the Iconic Female character she would be the focus of these branding opportunities, but she is not. She has only ever sold as a supporting member of the MOTU brand! For a short while before the cartoon series she was the lead female but from the moment of Filmation's creation The Sorceress would have been the lead IMO, that is until She-Ra's inception. Teela is no more than an important character who supports her lead character, similar to Bow or Glimer support She-Ra. To a pre filmation fan I can understand this argument as she was the Goddess, and then Teela the clone of the Goddess.
    Teela was the main heroic female character for 3 years after She-Ra showed up. Even after POP ended in 1987, Teela resumed that role in the 1987 movie and in MYP. She-Ra's biggest problem is that she doesn't show up at the beginning, but she does arrive much later. The 1987 movie and MYP didn't last long enough for She-Ra to show up! Although she didn't lead the brand, being one of only two female figures, Teela was the alpha female of the brand instead.

    The filmation cartoons ARE a unified universe and even the Sorceress would rank more highly than Teela.
    The Sorceress is a talking head and mentor. She tells the heroes where to go and what to do. I think there's no way she's replacing Teela in an action cartoon or toyline.

    She-Ra in all of her appearances never played second fiddle to any character ever!!!! But Teela has always done so. She-Ra is more powerful than Teela, She-Ra is 10,000 more recognisable with the public. This make She-Ra more iconic!!!! If I could liken your argument to anything it would be like saying Lois Lane is more important to the overal DC Comics brand than Wonder Woman. Now this would be a fair coment when only looking at Superman's specific story, but within the entire DC brand of characters there is no way that Lois Lane stands up to Diana. Diana is the iconic female heroine of the DC brand Just as She-Ra is the iconic femle heroine of the MOTU brand.
    I think that Lois Lane and Supergirl is a more apt comparison. Wonder Woman is a totally different property. Supergirl is Superman's cousin and has her own book, movie, etc., but Lois Lane has been with Superman forever.

    The question being asked here is not who is the most important female character within He-Man's personal story, but it feels to me like you are pushing that premise in these arguments. But trying to apply this premise to the entire brand (which is everything all in) does not make logical sense IMO. Teela has NEVER lead the brand, she is a supporting character in every showing she has ever made. she always helps He-Man in leading the brand.

    She-Ra has never been a supporting character, her story played out as one of equal importance to He-Man's back in then 80's, just as it is now in MOTUC. In all of her 93 cartoon episodes, numerous books comics ets she stands toe to toe with He-Man in importance,and as a co leader of the brand. It just does not register in my mind how you can honestly argue that a supporting character is more iconic than the premier female character of this unified universe.
    When She-Ra is not around, Teela is the lead female (because she's one of the only females). Unfortunately for The 'Ra, that's a lot...

    Were you asking the question who is the most iconic female character in He-Man's story then I would say Teela takes the top price, but the brand is more than just He-Man's persona story it's bigger than that. I stick to my guns. Lining up all of these characters and the overall story, Teela does not stand up to She-Ra in terms of recognisability or importance neither does she have any where near as much comerical viability.
    No, Teela isn't the brand leader that She-Ra is. I don't think anyone here is saying that. However, Teela IS around by default while She-Ra is added later as the mythos continues. If there's a MOTU movie, Teela is probably going to be there from the rip.

    She-Ra is big when she's around, but her absence in most of the canons works in Teela's favor.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

  4. #54
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,957
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    She-Ra could easily be her own movie or a sequel.
    That's because she's a STAH baby, a stah! (star...with an accent. )

    I wish we could ask Jack Olester about her appearance, but Misty Taggart wrote that episode. Maybe he does know something.
    He was asked, he said you'd have to ask her about it.

    Unfortunately the nature of Adora/She-Ra is that she has to be this "Everything you know is wrong; you really have a sister that we never told you about" reveal. While The 'Ra is absent, Mattel can use Teela is the alpha female.
    Well, they could always try a series with Everyone on Eternia and she never gets kidnapped. That might be interesting. I prefer it the way it is now, but it might be a neat take on the MOTU property as a whole.

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    She-Ra's biggest problem is that she doesn't show up at the beginning, but she does arrive much later. The 1987 movie and MYP didn't last long enough for She-Ra to show up!
    She arrives in style! Fashionably late and all that. Elizabeth Taylor knew how to do it.

    Although she didn't lead the brand, being one of only two female figures, Teela was the alpha female of the brand instead.
    Three.

    The Sorceress is a talking head and mentor. She tells the heroes where to go and what to do. I think there's no way she's replacing Teela in an action cartoon or toyline.
    What? She single handedly fought and defeated the Horde the first time they arrived on Eternia and Morgoth, constantly fights Skeletor, Evil-Lyn and other power mad individuals and does her best to prevent them from entering the Castle and stealing its secrets...and defeated Warlord Prahvus. She is NOT just a talking head.

    I'll reply to the rest of this later. Apparently a tornado is on its way. lol

    EDIT: tornado passed us, dissipated or never happened. lol Anyway, all is good.

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    When She-Ra is not around, Teela is the lead female (because she's one of the only females). Unfortunately for The 'Ra, that's a lot...
    I think everyone can agree with that.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 29, 2011 at 07:56pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  5. #55
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    That's because she's a STAH baby, a stah! (star...with an accent. )

    She arrives in style! Fashionably late and all that. Elizabeth Taylor knew how to do it.
    Fashionably late is what causes this debate.

    He was asked, he said you'd have to ask her about it.
    Ah.

    Three.

    What? She single handedly fought and defeated the Horde the first time they arrived on Eternia and Morgoth, constantly fights Skeletor, Evil-Lyn and other power mad individuals and does her best to prevent them from entering the Castle and stealing its secrets...and defeated Warlord Prahvus. She is NOT just a talking head.

    I'll reply to the rest of this later. Apparently a tornado is on its way. lol

    EDIT: tornado passed us, dissipated or never happened. lol Anyway, all is good.
    I was speaking about The Sorceress' general role. I'm glad that the tornado missed you.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

  6. #56
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I have frequent team-ups with my opponents.
    Team-ups? Opponents? I thought we just disagreed sometimes. I think someone needs to take a month off of reading superhero comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Teela was the main heroic female character for 3 years after She-Ra showed up. Even after POP ended in 1987, Teela resumed that role in the 1987 movie and in MYP. She-Ra's biggest problem is that she doesn't show up at the beginning, but she does arrive much later. The 1987 movie and MYP didn't last long enough for She-Ra to show up! Although she didn't lead the brand, being one of only two female figures, Teela was the alpha female of the brand instead.
    I also don't feel She-Ra has earned her right to be the lead female of this franchise. I like her a lot, but I'm fully aware she is basically just a female He-Man. She was an attempt by Mattel to use He-Man's success as a way of getting money from the parents of little girls. If Powers Of Grayskull had made it to toy stores, would He-Ro now be considered more important than Man-At-Arms or even He-Man? She is well liked by fans but part of the reason she's liked is because we were told she is important. It's not like she was introduced, became popular, and then got her own toyline & franchise. She was created for the sole reason of giving girls their own He-Man. He-Man was supported by many heroes & villains when MOTU was introduced. The fact that Teela rose to prominence when 1) she was an "icky girl" in a boys' toyline, 2) other "classic" characters like Stratos & Zodac weren't able to maintain such a level of popularity even though they've been around as long as Teela, and 3) her importance wasn't forced on fans in a mass media campaign proves to me that she is the lead female of this franchise.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; May 29, 2011 at 10:15pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  7. #57
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,507
    Dead Even now...

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

  8. #58
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Dead Even now...
    It's been like that before. It will change.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  9. #59
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,957
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Fashionably late is what causes this debate.
    True enough.

    I was speaking about The Sorceress' general role. I'm glad that the tornado missed you.
    I suppose...and me too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I also don't feel She-Ra has earned her right to be the lead female of this franchise. I like her a lot, but I'm fully aware she is basically just a female He-Man. She was an attempt by Mattel to use He-Man's success as a way of getting money from the parents of little girls. If Powers Of Grayskull had made it to toy stores, would He-Ro now be considered more important than Man-At-Arms or even He-Man? She is well liked by fans but part of the reason she's liked is because we were told she is important. It's not like she was introduced, became popular, and then got her own toyline & franchise. She was created for the sole reason of giving girls their own He-Man. He-Man was supported by many heroes & villains when MOTU was introduced. The fact that Teela rose to prominence when 1) she was an "icky girl" in a boys' toyline, 2) other "classic" characters like Stratos & Zodac weren't able to maintain such a level of popularity even though they've been around as long as Teela, and 3) her importance wasn't forced on fans in a mass media campaign proves to me that she is the lead female of this franchise.
    Woah now!

    The same can be said of Teela and He-Man.

    He-Man: no origin in the cartoon, we're told he's important, the hero, and most powerful man in the universe. It's like Mattel said "Kids, you like He-Man" and the kids went "okay!"

    Teela: Trainer of Adam (even though they're the same age), Captain of the Royal Guard (even though she's like 16-18 and they're all grown men who have been in the RG for years...very believable there )

    So...how did either of those characters earn the right to be leads in the franchise? Teela (and Bow) are the staple "damsel in distress" characters. Filmation just gave them a little more credibility and strength. It's just like Steve Trevor in the 70's Wonder Woman.

    But yeah, I think She-Ra earned the right more than Teela. Adora was kidnapped and when she learned the truth, she changed EVERYTHING about her life. She had a "hold on now, this isn't right" moment and is fighting an entire WORLD of villains, and not just tag-teaming alongside this bigger, stronger hero or a whole army. Most of the time it's just her vs. them.

    P.S. I love He-Man and Teela, so nobody send me hate mail.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  10. #60
    Heroic Warrior RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I also don't feel She-Ra has earned her right to be the lead female of this franchise. She is well liked by fans but part of the reason she's liked is because we were told she is important.
    One could very easily say the same of He-Man himself. His action figure is one of the plainest in the line, and if it wasn't for Filmation I doubt he'd have sold as well as he did. That doesn't make him a bad character or undeserving of his importance though.

    The fact that Teela rose to prominence when 1) she was an "icky girl" in a boys' toyline, 2) other "classic" characters like Stratos & Zodac weren't able to maintain such a level of popularity even though they've been around as long as Teela, and 3) her importance wasn't forced on fans in a mass media campaign proves to me that she is the lead female of this franchise.
    The token females in toylines aimed at boys always tend to receive more character development than the male supporting characters do. The likes of April O'Neil, Scarlett, Baroness, and Evil-Lyn were all fleshed out far more than the males were. By making them important characters it helped convince boys to buy those "icky girl" toys.

  11. #61
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    The same can be said of Teela and He-Man.

    He-Man: no origin in the cartoon, we're told he's important, the hero, and most powerful man in the universe. It's like Mattel said "Kids, you like He-Man" and the kids went "okay!"

    Teela: Trainer of Adam (even though they're the same age), Captain of the Royal Guard (even though she's like 16-18 and they're all grown men who have been in the RG for years...very believable there )

    So...how did either of those characters earn the right to be leads in the franchise? Teela (and Bow) are the staple "damsel in distress" characters. Filmation just gave them a little more credibility and strength. It's just like Steve Trevor in the 70's Wonder Woman.

    But yeah, I think She-Ra earned the right more than Teela. Adora was kidnapped and when she learned the truth, she changed EVERYTHING about her life. She had a "hold on now, this isn't right" moment and is fighting an entire WORLD of villains, and not just tag-teaming alongside this bigger, stronger hero or a whole army. Most of the time it's just her vs. them.
    The right of the head female character of the franchise is between the Token Woman Character In A Sea of Men and the Female Version of the Main Hero.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

  12. #62
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    One could very easily say the same of He-Man himself. His action figure is one of the plainest in the line, and if it wasn't for Filmation I doubt he'd have sold as well as he did. That doesn't make him a bad character or undeserving of his importance though.
    If He-Man wasn't popular on his own, we wouldn't be here. This is purely my opinion, but that's one of the main reasons why I feel the 2002 line failed with kids. Their version of He-Man was a bland & unlikable bore who was only the "hero of the line" because they were told he was. He-Man's variants(at least the vintage ones) sold well. She-Ra was built on that popularity and still came no where near He-Man's.

    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    The token females in toylines aimed at boys always tend to receive more character development than the male supporting characters do. The likes of April O'Neil, Scarlett, Baroness, and Evil-Lyn were all fleshed out far more than the males were. By making them important characters it helped convince boys to buy those "icky girl" toys.
    True, but their popularity isn't always guaranteed. Both Playmates & Hasbro dropped the female toys from their lines(although Playmates brought April back).


    NOTE: Again, before I am put on the hitlist of POP fans, I actually like She-Ra more than Teela, have been a POP fan since the 80's, and still have fond memories of seeing The Secret Of The Sword in the theater as well as watching POP everyday after school. I just feel Teela is the lead female of this franchise while She-Ra was a way to expand the mythology to girls. It is very similar to how I feel about Wonder Woman vs Supergirl. Wonder Woman made herself a popular hero on her own(although she didn't have a ton of competition either when she debuted) while Supergirl was automatically made popular due to her wearing Superman's "shield". Both She-Ra & Supergirl have become popular enough on their own to not be forgotten in the sands of time, but, imo, their main reason for being is due to their being a female version of a popular male hero.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; May 30, 2011 at 07:39pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  13. #63
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    If He-Man wasn't popular on his own, we wouldn't be here. This is purely my opinion, but that's one of the main reasons why I feel the 2002 line failed with kids. Their version of He-Man was a bland & unlikable bore who was only the "hero of the line" because they were told he was. He-Man's variants(at least the vintage ones) sold well. She-Ra was built on that popularity and still came no where near He-Man's.
    A lot of fans didn't even know He-Man was back in 2002. I do agree that He-Man was shortchanged in MYP. He had only 4 episodes that were specifically He-Man stories (Courage of Adam, Council of Evil parts 1 and 2 and The Last Stand). MYP wanted to focus on the teams instead. I guess it was their way of fixing Filmation's infamous lack of focus on the secondary characters. Hopefully, a new show will be more of a blend between the two.

    I also agree that He-Man was already successful before Filmation; the cartoon made him even bigger.

    True, but their popularity isn't always guaranteed. Both Playmates & Hasbro dropped the female toys from their lines(although Playmates brought April back).
    G.I. Joe will have females again. Scarlett from Renegades will have a figure coming out soon for G.I. Joe 30th anniversary.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

  14. #64
    Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    388
    When I first read the question I realised it could be interpreted in more than one way. However, the use of the phrase franchise implies a connection with potential commercial success to me. So I voted for the person who appears more as the lead character rather than as a secondary character to another as they would be easier to successfully market. My vote therefore went to She-Ra.

  15. #65
    Heroic Warrior SAMURAI36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago (The Actual City)
    Posts
    963
    Okay, I'm kinda surprised that MGM feels the way he does about this topic, but I suppose it was bound to happen.

    Saying that Teela is the rightful lead female of MOTU, is like saying Lois Lane is the lead female of the DCU. I doubt (or at least, hope) no one here thinks anything of the sort.

    Even if Lois is, or was, all bets are off, when Diana steps onto the scene, with the gangsta lean.

    Even though I like Teela, and she can hold her own, she only more or less serves as a glorified love interest for He-Man.

    She-Ra reverses that role, the same way that Wonder Woman did; they had to find love interests for those ladies instead, and they usually aren't powerful men, though they can hold their own.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

  16. #66
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,861
    Woo! She-Ra's the clear winner.

  17. #67
    Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Trap Jaw's Man Cave
    Posts
    1,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I meant which female character do you first think of when someone brings up the subject of this entire franchise.
    Based on public personna, I think it's She-Ra. She seems to be the most well known when you think of MOTU.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

    Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

    Support The Power & Honor Foundation

    Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

  18. #68
    Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Planet Eronia
    Posts
    18,026
    Why do they make new shirts like this one instead of shirts with He-Man and Teela?

    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

  19. #69
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Why do they make new shirts like this one instead of shirts with He-Man and Teela?

    http://media.80stees.com/images/prod...e-Ra-Shirt.jpg
    Because they needed He-Man in the picture just so people would know who She-Ra even was.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  20. #70
    Spirit of She-Ra ! Angel-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    4,053
    What a fantastic shirt....where can I get it? Perfect representation of the brand, wish they had skeletor in there as well. :0)
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

    I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

    IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

  21. #71
    Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Planet Eronia
    Posts
    18,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    What a fantastic shirt....where can I get it? Perfect representation of the brand, wish they had skeletor in there as well. :0)
    It's on 80stees.com but unfortunately it's only available in women's sizes.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

  22. #72
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,507




    That disagrees with you, Marzo!

    The Super bowl of MOTU and which female did they have doing the rounds and giving out buttons promoting Classics? It wasn't She-Ra...

    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Okay, I'm kinda surprised that MGM feels the way he does about this topic, but I suppose it was bound to happen.

    Saying that Teela is the rightful lead female of MOTU, is like saying Lois Lane is the lead female of the DCU. I doubt (or at least, hope) no one here thinks anything of the sort.

    Even if Lois is, or was, all bets are off, when Diana steps onto the scene, with the gangsta lean.

    Even though I like Teela, and she can hold her own, she only more or less serves as a glorified love interest for He-Man.

    She-Ra reverses that role, the same way that Wonder Woman did; they had to find love interests for those ladies instead, and they usually aren't powerful men, though they can hold their own.
    In MOTU-land, Teela is seen by some as the Wonder Woman--the first female in the franchise and the first you might think of, while She-Ra is the Supergirl--the spinoff female version of He-Man.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 30, 2011 at 10:27am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

  23. #73
    Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    LOS ANGELES
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...0121Medium.jpg

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-73HgKZV8tR...0/IMG_3060.JPG

    That disagrees with you, Marzo!

    The Super bowl of MOTU and which female did they have doing the rounds and giving out buttons promoting Classics? It wasn't She-Ra...

    In MOTU-land, Teela is seen by some as the Wonder Woman--the first female in the franchise and the first you might think of, while She-Ra is the Supergirl--the spinoff female version of He-Man.
    From a storytelling perspective, Teela is not wonder woman.
    Instead, she is very much like Steve Trevor, i.e. someone whose essential role in the stories is to get into trouble so that the real hero of the franchise - He-man / Wonder Woman - has to intervene to save her from the bad guys.

    In this respect, Teela is occupying the same 'function' as Bow or Glimmer in POP. I know people cringed when someone said that earlier on, but it's the truth! It doesn't mean Teela is 'inferior'. It's just the role that she was given in the mythos. She's a supporting character.

    A very important character (with a lot more backstory than Glimmer or Bow in my humble opinion) and we all love her because she was the first woman in this MOTUverse with an important role. Teela is great. I love Teela. But she's not the lead.

    She-ra might be a spin-off. So was Xena. So was the bionic woman. It doesn't take away the fact that people remember them a lot because they were the main protagonists of their own show. So She-ra is much more of a wonder woman than Teela will ever be.

    This thread asks 'who is the female lead of MOTUC'. That's simple.
    Take the Filmation cartoons. Kill Teela. Can the show continue? Yes. I can't remember for sure but there must have been episodes in which Teela did not even appear. Now take She-ra. Kill her. Can her cartoon continue? Nope. She's a lead character. It's as simple as that... :-)

    As for the Comic Con BG Teela, well I can remember a She-ra parading in costume at some ancient comic con edition. I think Mattel did 'Battle Ground' teela this year because it would save bucks thanks to the rather skimpy costume she's wearing. :-)

    Anyway, I have to say that I don't like when people are pitting POP against MOTU, even when it's done in a cool funny way (this thread is pleasant) because I love BOTH! I LOVED Teela as a kid, loved her costume, loved her cartoon counterpart. I LOVE She-ra too. I love She-ra more because she's got such a great origins, starting off evil, finding redemption, etc. And again, it's easier for me to love She-ra more, she is given so much more than Teela who is pretty much bound in her 'hero's girlfriend' mold. It's just how the stories were written.
    Last edited by oulala; July 30, 2011 at 02:34pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

  24. #74
    Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Planet Eronia
    Posts
    18,026
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...0121Medium.jpg

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-73HgKZV8tR...0/IMG_3060.JPG

    That disagrees with you, Marzo!

    The Super bowl of MOTU and which female did they have doing the rounds and giving out buttons promoting Classics? It wasn't She-Ra...
    How many chick fans dress as She-Ra at SDCC and other cons (more than 1)

    How many are paid by Mattel to dress as "Battleground Teela" and hand out buttons? 1.

    Case dismissed.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

  25. #75
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    This is more than 1...







    I could have posted more, but a simple Google search will show that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    How many chick fans dress as She-Ra at SDCC and other cons (more than 1)

    How many are paid by Mattel to dress as "Battleground Teela" and hand out buttons? 1.

    Case dismissed.
    How many professional actresses were paid to play Teela in a live action movie? 1.

    And She-Ra? 0

    How many He-Man related toons has Teela appeared in? 4(which is all of them)

    And She-Ra? 2

    Case reopened.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 30, 2011 at 04:51pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •