View Poll Results: Who Is The Female Lead For The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Teela!!!

181 44.04%
  • The Sorceress!!!

36 8.76%
  • She-Ra!!!

188 45.74%
  • Other(please explain)!!!

6 1.46%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Who Is The Female Lead For The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Well the sales telling another story.
    You keep going on about the sales, but the overall sales of the 6 issues with Despara are not too far off from sales of the initial mini-series without her. So not quite sure what you're talking about?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Mattel cares about the people who actually give them money. Look at this poll. Half the fans at the world's biggest He-Man site are sharply divided as to who the top female is. I'd say her many appearances have had a huge impact on the fandom, to the point where She-Ra's status as top female character is questioned.
    I would say the majority of those hardcore fans and Teela lovers have been following the brand since the original toy line/MOTU series. Has there really been a huge influx of new fans who were introduced to Teela via the Mike Young 200X series, for example? I don't think so. I mean, it's been over 10 years since that series first aired, right around the perfect time for any potential "new" viewers to start getting nostalgic, and that forum is pretty dead. I never see anyone from the general public saying: "OMG do you remember Teela from the 200X series?!" On the other hand, She-Ra has transcended beyond the 80s and remains relevant in pop culture, thanks to things such as her name trending after Madonna's Superbowl performance, Paris Hilton dressing up as She-Ra for Halloween, Kylie Minogue doing a Funny Or Die She-Ra video, Christina advertising the line and She-Ra, etc.

The POP fans keep harping on this, but I don't think Mattel is out to make a Teela brand. She does well enough being a major character in MOTU, rather than giving her a separate group of females and her own set of enemies.
    I don't think they're necessarily out to make a Teela brand, but I do sometimes think they try to diminish She-Ra for selfish reasons that don't have anything to do with the business end.

You make it sound as though those things didn't go through because they featured Teela.
    Sorry if I made it sound like that. Not what I meant. I was just making an observation.
    Last edited by Tallstar; February 16, 2014 at 11:38am.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    [QUOTE=Tallstar;3410551]You keep going on about the sales, but the overall sales of the 6 issues with Despara are not too far off from sales of the initial mini-series without her. So not quite sure what you're talking about?

- - - Updated - - -

I' m only saying that the ongoing didn' t do better than the mini series. Both of them had its sales dropped in similar way. Which means that the story in both cases, wasn't such captivating, to keep the interest of the readers (especially the casual ones that happened to read the story, not the hardcore fans).

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I would say the majority of those hardcore fans and Teela lovers have been following the brand since the original toy line/MOTU series.
    The majority of fans are here because of Filmation. Since Filmation, we've seen Teela everytime MOTU has resurfaced. She-Ra hasn't been so fortunate.

Has there really been a huge influx of new fans who were introduced to Teela via the Mike Young 200X series, for example? I don't think so. I mean, it's been over 10 years since that series first aired, right around the perfect time for any potential "new" viewers to start getting nostalgic, and that forum is pretty dead. I never see anyone from the general public saying: "OMG do you remember Teela from the 200X series?!"
    Although Teela's (and Evil-Lyn) bad-ass portrayal was one of the most liked things about the pilot, alot of people didn't know about 200X/MYP or that He-Man had returned, period.
    Heck, some people didn't know about New Adventures.

On the other hand, She-Ra has transcended beyond the 80s and remains relevant in pop culture, thanks to things such as her name trending after Madonna's Superbowl performance, Paris Hilton dressing up as She-Ra for Halloween, Kylie Minogue doing a Funny Or Die She-Ra video, Christina advertising the line and She-Ra, etc.
    Despite the occasional nod by celebs, nothing is done with the sudden attention. Five minutes of nostalgia isn't a full-scale comeback or reintroduction. An NBA player mentioned He-Man a month ago. WWE regularly does things with MOTU. A LOT of people log onto WWE.com. Do we get loads of WWE fans? No.

I don't think they're necessarily out to make a Teela brand, but I do sometimes think they try to diminish She-Ra for selfish reasons that don't have anything to do with the business end.
    I think it might be entirely business oriented. I don't think Toyguru is out to make an impact with a girl's brand, something that he hasn't done YET. Girls tend not to play with action figures and most boys usually don't play with dolls or female action figures, so to Mattel, which is a TOY company, POP is in a hard place and might be a headache to market. We haven't seen any NEW POP characters yet or POP concepts.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Although Teela's (and Evil-Lyn) bad-ass portrayal was one of the most liked things about the pilot, alot of people didn't know about 200X/MYP or that He-Man had returned, period.
    Heck, some people didn't know about New Adventures.
    Mattel got Mario Lopez to host the Times Square TRU event for the relaunch of MOTU and I seem to remember ratings of the cartoon being very good in all age brackets, initially. So I would say quite a few new people (especially kids) were exposed to the property. It's just that the series and characters probably weren't memorable enough to have a lasting impact, imo.

Despite the occasional nod by celebs, nothing is done with the sudden attention. Five minutes of nostalgia isn't a full-scale comeback or reintroduction. An NBA player mentioned He-Man a month ago. WWE regularly does things with MOTU. A LOT of people log onto WWE.com. Do we get loads of WWE fans? No.
    Well, that's the problem. Mattel has never really attempted to try to directly reach fans who grew up with She-Ra, let alone capitalize on the attention from celebrities by connecting a product with them. Personally, I think there's a lot of potential for sales if they just reached out to one or more of them. (moreso than any attempts for MOTU) Like maybe doing a product placement in an upcoming video or something.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Mattel got Mario Lopez to host the Times Square TRU event for the relaunch of MOTU and I seem to remember ratings of the cartoon being very good in all age brackets, initially. So I would say quite a few new people (especially kids) were exposed to the property. It's just that the series and characters probably weren't memorable enough to have a lasting impact, imo.
    A lot of fans weren't aware of the Times Square relaunch. That's what I mean...200X wasn't advertised well enough so alot of casual people missed it.

Well, that's the problem. Mattel has never really attempted to try to directly reach fans who grew up with She-Ra, let alone capitalize on the attention from celebrities by connecting a product with them. Personally, I think there's a lot of potential for sales if they just reached out to one or more of them. (moreso than any attempts for MOTU) Like maybe doing a product placement in an upcoming video or something.
    Lauren Montgomery wanted to do a She-Ra video while she was working on Wonder Woman. Too bad it didn't go through, as I enjoyed that video.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Girls tend not to play with action figures
    POP is in a hard place and might be a headache to market.
    Girls play with all kinds of figures. PoP doesn't need to be a standard, highly detailed 6'' line to be successful.
    My young nieces play with princesses and my little ponies and lego and even dragons. They would LOVE PoP, and I'm thinking of introducing them to it via the cartoon (they love 80s cartoons). There just aren't great PoP toys for their age. I have NO DOUBT that in today's girls' market that PoP would do gangbusters. Taller dolls like w/ Disney Princesses/fairies/monster high/ etc, smaller little figures (ie: Polly Pocket), figurines, lego, and standard figures for collectors...it could dominate a corner of the market. Girls need a role model, and She-Ra is one that is sitting by the wayside b/c Mattel would rather not make money on the franchise for some reason. I'm not even a PoP fan, and I find it baffling and irritating.
    My Little Pony has so may different sized figures and toys, that when looking in the aisle I can't figure out if there's even a standard line or of it's just a bunch of crazy things thrown together. But it's successful, and She-Ra could be as successful as the other franchises out there if Mattel even made the slightest effort. I really don't think She-Ra would even need He-Man to be mentioned in order to be successful.

ps: even if that happened, Teela would still the lead female of the franchise.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Yeah, because they rather someone else deal with POP than push it themselves. Those companies are probably more enthusiastic about POP than Mattel is.
    Me-ow! *whip snap*

Most fans don't hate Teela, but hate Giffen's writing of her.
    I didn't mean hate Teela in general, but hate Nu52 Teela. I love Teela in general, but was one of those hoping they would just kill off Nu52 Teela because they just ruined her. I would LOVE to see a Teela/She-Ra team up mini-series. That would be great. It was awesome seeing them together in the flashbacks. Teela's dialogue was kind of ruining their adult team-up. If all the dialogue was replaced for Teela in every issue she's ever been in, she would be salvageable.

It isn't "Despara and the Masters of the Universe". Despara was the villain of the arc. Once her story had resolved, she was gone. The heroes were He-Man and Teela for the most part. Heck, for awhile Teela was overshadowing He-Man and it's his book! But that's either due to Giffen's bad writing or TG's bad plots.
    I'm sure she's coming back. She said she had something she had to do. She-Ra should be coming. They teased us with her enough.

The MOTU cover
    Oh, oops. I forgot that one had a variant cover. I was using DC's site. It didn't show the variant covers!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    I LOVED MYP 200X. But I dont like these DC comics at all. Not many folks do.
    She-Ra is top lady no doubt. Dont care what comics say.

How bout we just say "Girls! Girls!... You're both pretty".
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    How bout we just say "Girls! Girls!... You're both pretty".
    How about we just say "Women … you're both exceptionally bad-a**!"
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

The Female Lead for Masters of the Universe Classics is She-Ra Princess of Power The Most Powerful Woman In the Universe
    2 HIGH PRIESTESS 3 EMPRESS SHE-MAN MASTERS
    He-Man Masters of the Universe Classics Princess of Power She-Ra Bow
    http://mastersoftheuniverseclassicsh...assics-images/