View Poll Results: Who Is The Female Lead For The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Teela!!!

181 44.04%
  • The Sorceress!!!

36 8.76%
  • She-Ra!!!

188 45.74%
  • Other(please explain)!!!

6 1.46%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Is The Female Lead For The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Unfortunately, I think there are opinions presented here that are definitely inspired only by the past. It's no suprise that those who post that they aren't fans of She-Ra also post that Teela is the "lead female"

Come on. Let's be adults here. Mattel even calls She-Ra the "lead female" of the brand. You don't HAVE to like She-Ra or consider her more important than Teela, in your canon, but speaking objectively, Teela is NOT the "lead female."

By asking non-fans who the lead female of the MOTU brand is, you might get a more objective response.

I can't play as Teela in the new Iphone game...

I can't go out and by a Teela costume for my sister unless one is custom made...

Dreamworks rep Ian Richter didn't say he was excited about "Teela" at Power Con...

She-Ra is the lead female... and my saying that has nothing to do with my love for the character. I'm being objective.

Teela was the lead female until Adora/She-Ra came along.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I get that many fans will never accept this, which is their right, but it dosen't make what brian is saying any less true, no matter how hard it is to hear!!!!!!

Wonder Woman might be less important in Superman's personal story than Lois Lane. But when looking at the combined DC universe arguing that Lois is a more important character, impactful on the DC brand or the true iconic female lead over Diana is just wishful thinking and not being truly objective.

The same applies to She-Ra and Teela here. The Question wasn't who is the iconic lead in He-Man and the Masters of The Universe, She-Ra Princess of Power, New Adventures of He-Man or MYP MOTU. It was who is the iconic lead for the entire Masters of the Universe Franchise (everything all in). The Iconic Hero is He-Man, the Iconic Villan is Skeletor, the Iconic female lead is She-Ra.

These three characters alone do and have existed in the public consciousness for years, Teela didn't and still does not exist in the public eye or public memory to the same level that She-Ra does (regardless of Mattel's blatent attempts to blur the lines between Teela and and She-Ra this past year.) The public memory of She-Ra and the individual and combined viabilty she offers as both a POP and MOTU character makes She-Ra the truly iconic female character of this universe, Teela just can't stand up to that.

Teela did come before She-Ra, but in all honesty what does that have to do with the price of cheese? Teela has never been as important or as impactful on the brand as She-Ra, both back in the day or currently with what little awareness is remembered by the public outside of our dedecated fan community. To drive this home CNN did not report on the DC comic that reintroduced Teela, it certianly did on the digital comic featuring Adora and new art of She-Ra.

At the end of the day.... regardless of your arguments for Teela, it's She-Ra....you know thats the truth. Just admit it and move on.... She-Ra being the first lady of MOTU does not take away from Teela's historical importance. She is vital to He-Man's story as a critical supporting character, but thats all she has ever really been.... a supporting character. She might have been in every incarnation...but ALWAYS as a support character.

When She-Ra was and has been used (ie the I phone game) every time she has been shown it's as the co-brand leader and a role of equal importance to He-Man. Thats possibily why She-Ra has been rememberd over Teela, her character and role in the brand and overall MOTU story is more important and impactful than Teela's role, regardless of her later inception into the MOTU franchise.

But Being totally honest the name Teela has not been wispered down the decades by joe average when people remember the fantastic characters from the 80's (perticularly MOTU characters). She-Ra's name along with He-Man and Skeletor's name has been remembered. Teela has not been afforded this honour outside of the fan community, simply because She-Ra is the more iconic, promoted and important character when everything is said and done.
    I'm not disputing that She-Ra isn't iconic and doesn't have a pop culture connection. I don't think anyone is. However, I wouldn't take stock in Mattel's official word. Mattel might call She-Ra the lead female of the brand, but you'd never know it from the way they always use Teela over her, even in modern day.

Even If there is new MOTU entertainment that will have POP in it, Teela has a much higher chance of appearing first. In almost every MOTU media, there is no question that Teela is a guaranteed lock to show up. I can't say the same about She-Ra. Teela even showed up in New Adventures. Teela will most likely show up in Jon Chu's movie.

She-Ra was playable in the iPhone game, but we saw concept of Teela before the She-Ra DLC was playable. Teela was featured in the new DC Comics months before She-Ra appeared. Hell, Mattel commissioned a Teela model a year before a She-Ra model. Leading Lady, huh?

Like I've said before, Teela is established way before She-Ra is. She-Ra's nature as a "everything you thought was wrong" reveal hurts her exposure. Teela provides that leading lady feel way before She-Ra even shows up, IF the 'Ra shows up at all.

Almost 250 people have voted right now and it's dead even between Teela and She-Ra. That should tell you something.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; January 10, 2013 at 10:27am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Teela shows up first because that's the way the story unfolds. Being first to a party doesn't make it your party. Sometimes main characters don't even show up until the second act of a play. As much as I love Teela, she is a sidekick character, just like Man-at-Arms, Stratos, Bow, and Glimmer. She-Ra is a lead character. I can walk into Walmart right now and see She-Ra's face staring out at me. The same can't be said for Teela. Like I said earlier, if this is truly one brand moving forward then She-Ra is the most recognizable female in Masters of the Universe.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Exactly, it's dead even!!!! That should also be telling you something.....
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    I think the Sorceress......The story could go on without Teela and She-ra was an after thought to get girls to buy toys too.....but the Sorceress (or Godess in the mini-comics) is the guardian of the power and is responsible for He-man's existance in the first place.

Heroic Warrior
    The Goddess! Loved her ever since the comics!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    Teela shows up first because that's the way the story unfolds. Being first to a party doesn't make it your party. Sometimes main characters don't even show up until the second act of a play. As much as I love Teela, she is a sidekick character, just like Man-at-Arms, Stratos, Bow, and Glimmer. She-Ra is a lead character. I can walk into Walmart right now and see She-Ra's face staring out at me. The same can't be said for Teela. Like I said earlier, if this is truly one brand moving forward then She-Ra is the most recognizable female in Masters of the Universe.
    There's the girl next door who goes to every party from the moment the doors open up and then there's the popular girl who shows up to the party later, if she even comes.

That is why She-Ra has such a tough time with that female lead status among fans. Saying it officially is one thing, but backing up that claim is something else. She-Ra is supposed to be the female lead, but she doesn't show up until the 3rd year of the franchise. Even Teela's figure is always released first. Teela is ALWAYS present in practically all the media. Anything MOTU comes out, you know Teela is in it. She-Ra, on the other hand won't be as guaranteed. New MOTU toyline line? You know Teela is coming out and probably within the first three waves. She-Ra? Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Exactly, it's dead even!!!! That should also be telling you something.....
    Well, yes. The fact that She-Ra isn't the overwhelming choice for female lead is very telling.

I would say it's Teela. However, most people in the mainstream when referring to 'He-Man', always say 'He-Man and She-Ra', so obviously they equate her with He-Man more than Teela.

I still think Teela is the First Lady of MOTU. She was literally the first female.

Snappy Threader
    I went with She-Ra. She is like leader of the other half of heroes. Teela would come a close second, but when measuring them up, She-Ra gets my nod.

The Sorceress is the Ralph Nader of this poll. If it wasn't for Nader, Gore would have won. If it wasn't for Sorceress, Teela would be ahead.

When I was first getting back into MOTU, I struggled to remember who was that lead character in that "girl's show version of He-Man." I never forgot who Teela was though.

That means somethin'.

By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

So...the 'Ra is leading by two points. What an extremely close poll this is!

I'd probably change my vote to Sorceress at this point. She is the caretaker of Grayskull, and without her there would be no She-Ra (or He-Man for that matter)
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    While I love the character of Teela, She-Ra is He-Man's sister and equal. She had her own toyline and cartoon. Teela did not. If we're talking *just* MOTU, then of course it's Teela. But if we're talking everything(MOTU, PoP, NA, 200x, etc) then it goes to She-Ra.

Almost dead even AGAIN!

I look at it like this:

He-Man is Errol Flynn
    She-Ra is Bette Davis
    Teela is Olivia De Havilland

So Teela is He-Man's leading lady even if someone else gets their name above the title.
    Last edited by gbagok; July 10, 2013 at 06:42pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Teela has retaken the lead!

This leading lady stuff is completely split down the middle...half the fans think it's She-Ra. The other half believes that it is Teela.

Teela. The First Lady of MOTU. Teela all day.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Teela has been the lead since 1982, which is 3 years before She-Ra even existed. Teela was in 2 seasons of Filmation AND 2 seasons of MYP. Teela IS the female lead of MOTU.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    Teela has been the lead since 1982, which is 3 years before She-Ra even existed. Teela was in 2 seasons of Filmation AND 2 seasons of MYP. Teela IS the female lead of MOTU.
    ^By this logic, the Sorceress could just as easily be the 1st lady. She-Ra had 2 seasons of her very own show.

All this thread is doing is making the Pro-VMOTU (or anti-POP) fans easily identifiable.

I like them both (maybe Teela a little bit more), but it's obvious that She-Ra was invented to be MOTU U's leading lady.

I think the only real way to settle this is by figuring which lady has the most products dedicated to her. That would definitely show who is more important in the eyes of their creator (Mattel), and not their brand-loyal, easily biased fans. Anyone wanna take a wild guess who'd win that? Hint: It's the lady with her own logo (and theme song, and toothbrush, and beach towel, and back massager probably...).
    Last edited by Colder Soldier; July 22, 2013 at 12:52am.

For me Teela will always be the most important of the female characters in the Masters if the Universe. I always felt Teela was an integral part of a broader storyline, with more intricate connections to her supporting characters. I like She-Ra but she isn't so much her own character as Mattel saying hey we should make he-man for girls. She is the obligatory female version of any popular character. Superman-super girl. Batman-Batgirl. And so on... Which to me makes Teela more endearing because she is her own character instead of a female clone counterpart.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    She-Ra may have been the original female for MOTU.

PRINCESS OF POWER SECRETS REVEALED - PART 1

"Chris McAdam relayed to me that the original Princess of Power She-Ra was first developed not in her group in Girls' Toys (before I got there in 1985) but in the NBC Group (New Business Concepts), a special separate blue sky design team headed by Susannah Rosenthal, at the time, and located in an isolated location. It was the doll designer Justine Dantzer who created She-Ra. Justine is one of the 3 Dantzer sisters who are all known doll/toy designers in the industry. I knew Justine, briefly through a mutual friend, but more so her sister Elonne; I didn’t know Marlene Dantzer, personally, though saw all of them at parties and industry functions.

Originally, Justine proposed the idea of a female superhero named She-Ra as an antithesis to He-Man for the Masters of the Universe product line; because her observation was that the line lacked a female character, and thus this would add an interesting twist. The aesthetical look and play accessories, and even a castle were created and constructed for She-Ra for Justine’s initial prototype prelim creation and presentation. It had a more masculine and rugged quality to it (than the later Princess of Power line) due to its original placement in boys toys.

As strategies formed and coalesced, the idea emerged to place it in Girls Toys to empower girls. Chris McAdam was part of that evolution after it was handed over to the Girl’s Toy Design Group. The objective was to “feminize” and “soften” the aesthetics for girl play. Chris was able to get the talents of Kitty Black (Perkins) on the project (click HERE for biography), who at the time was a new emergent designer in fashion dolls at Mattel (who later became one of the top celebrity designers on Barbie). Kitty created the clever flashy and sassy action fashions with some sort of transformation feature. Noreen Porter was used to create the wonderful illustrations of the dolls for their sculpts with more feminine proportions and prettier faces, and also their superhero accessories."

Of Noreen Porter, Jon had this to say:

"We were fortunate to have in the POP design group a fabulous and highly talented in-house veteran doll designer/illustrator named Noreen Porter who worked on the main POP line... and specifically on the Bubble Carriage, Spinerella, Catra and She-Ra. Her illustrations where highly technical anatomically correct depictions and were incredible masterpieces (done in pencil with perfect highlights and shadows), The sculptors could literally use her illustrations to sculpt directly from. I understand that eventually Noreen went into medical illustration, a perfect field for her, IMHO, due to her meticulous attention to illustrative details."

My thoughts:

Although I could be wrong, from what I gather, the Crystal Castle playset that was constructed for use in Justine's presentation may have been the same as the version shown in the U-Matic videocassette discovered in the Filmation Archives. (I believe it was Emiliano that posted the ARTICLE some years back.)

This seems to coincide with an old book from 1990 about the toy industry from called "TOYLAND The High-Stakes Game of the Toy Industry", where it is stated that the original Crystal Castle included a special bird's-beak entrance that would swoop down and pick up the figures to bring them inside the castle. Apparently both little girls (and their mothers) were uninterested in the mechanical feature when Mattel tested it. They preferred a "softer, less action-oriented product", so Mattel replaced the action feature with a traditional castle door. This change reduced the cost of the playset.

The She-Ra in Justine's presentation is a bit trickier. It's obviously not the same as the prototype shown in the U-Matic video, as it doesn't have a "masculine and rugged quality", so it's possibly a version that predates even the wax sculpt that was discovered on eBay a few years ago because the aforementioned book also mentions that She-Ra's action figure wasn't well received by little girls until Mattel "pinked it up."
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

She-Ra gets my vote and the honor of being the leading female character in all of motu.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    ^By this logic, the Sorceress could just as easily be the 1st lady. She-Ra had 2 seasons of her very own show.

All this thread is doing is making the Pro-VMOTU (or anti-POP) fans easily identifiable.

I like them both (maybe Teela a little bit more), but it's obvious that She-Ra was invented to be MOTU U's leading lady.
    I don't agree. The Sorceress as we know her came along AFTER Teela. The Goddess came before Teela, not the Sorceress. Teela also received a figure YEARS before Sorceress.

That said, I am not anti-Pop, and I am surely not pro-Vintage. Lumping someone like myself into a this group only, or that group only is incorrect. I like a little of Mini-Comic, Filmation MOTU, Pop, and MYP.

She-Ra was invented to be the lead in PoP, not MOTU.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

If we are including PoP.....the its She Ra most def. If its just soley MOTU....its Teela.

" Sorceress of Night " evil-lyn4ever's Avatar
    Shouldn't we also have Evil-Lyn on this poll too!! Because she is more of a MOTU character than She-Ra anyways. She is a A-lister here on Masters of the Universe, and Teela's and the Sorceress' arch enemy. So I think she should have a lot of say and pull in this poll as well. So my vote goes with other for Evil-Lyn.
    "Evil Lyn Sorceress of Night."