View Poll Results: Who Is The Female Lead For The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Teela!!!

    181 44.04%
  • The Sorceress!!!

    36 8.76%
  • She-Ra!!!

    188 45.74%
  • Other(please explain)!!!

    6 1.46%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 336

Thread: Who Is The Female Lead For The Masters Of The Universe Franchise?

  1. #176
    Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Everything else in it is just terrible. Especially Teela. I love me some Teela though, please don't think I'm hating on her. I was devastated during the 200X era because I couldn't find her figure ANYWHERE!
    Yeah, I think sometimes if someone doesn't like your answer because it doesn't agree with theirs, they attempt to paint that person as someone who dislikes or "hates" on their favorite character.

    I don't have an allegiance to either fictional character and I don't prefer one over the other. I voted for Teela but not because she is my favorite or preferred female lead in MOTU. He-Man is the lead of MOTU and Teela is his leading lady which makes her the leading lady of MOTU. She-Ra has never been the female lead of vintage MOTU, Filmation MOTU, NA, or MYP so I can't justify calling her the lead of MOTU.

    For the record, I have always liked Adora more than her alter ego OR Teela.
    Last edited by MasterCollector; August 19, 2013 at 02:58am.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

  2. #177
    HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    4,163
    I went with Teela. Not only does she rival She-Ra in overall exposure in the MOTU property, but she eventually becomes the Sorceress-which makes her more important in the overall narrative, in my opinion.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

  3. #178
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    She wasn't used though, and I think I understand why. They wanted to make a He-Man movie and She-Ra tagging along would have stolen his focus. Teela, who was in the movie, didn't. I mean, really, why would she? What did Teela DO? I've seen the movie multiple times and love it to pieces, but I can't really remember anything Teela did. I remember things all the others did. She seemed like a background character. Her costume was solid gray and pretty boring, too. Julie (Courtney Cox), Evil-Lyn and The Sorceress all had very memorable roles, lines, etc. Teela was "generic soldier along for the ride." If this was any other 80's action flick, she would be the first to die.
    Teela was aggressive in that flick...He-Man had to calm her down from kicking Gwildor's ass.

    A She-Ra movie and/or series could work with the "I have a brother?!" angle. Focus on her being evil in the Horde, then learn of her destiny. I think that would be a more fascinating angle. We're sort of seeing this in the new comic. I mean...she lives on a whole different planet, it would be pretty easy to do. Show the Horde taking over Etheria, enslaving or killing off the men (with Force Captain Adora's help), then, when she turns into She-Ra people will realize WHY The Great Rebellion is mainly made of women - the men were the first to fall. They're all that's left.
    I'd like to see a series or comic with He-Man and She-Ra AS A DUO (ala Batman and Superman). Straight up. Every issue. He-Man and She-Ra in an equal capacity as teammates, as brother and sister taking on all the villains of MOTU as a tag team! The whole "I have a sister" angle would be in flashback form, as would Adam's origin.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  4. #179
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,854
    *sigh* Hoping these rumors about She-Ra aren't true.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

  5. #180
    Spirit of She-Ra ! Angel-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    4,039
    I heard after she-Ra kills horde prime, she somehow reverts to dispara again....forcing He-Man to kill her. I hope it isn't true, but this rumour dosen't seem to go away sadly.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

    I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

    IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

  6. #181
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I heard after she-Ra kills horde prime, she somehow reverts to dispara again....forcing He-Man to kill her. I hope it isn't true, but this rumour dosen't seem to go away sadly.
    That would be terrible. I would have hoped that Sea Hawk's bio would have revealed Adora's future.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  7. #182
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,360
    Some of the following may seem harsh- even like I'm singling out or picking on particular Orgers. I'm not doing that, nor am I trying to offend anyone here. I'm just trying to put the nail in the coffin and bury this debate. I know that may seem impossible but we will get to the point where the same lame arguments can no longer be spun. I'll start here...

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    The MOTU party started in 1982 and Teela was there, She-Ra wasn't. Much like the original 13 in GI Joe, Teela is part of the original 8 back figures. The MOTU line was created around those 8 characters which included Teela, not She-Ra.
    Allow me to use your own comparison and analogy to blow holes through your own argument MC. You compare GIJoe's OG13 to MOTU "original toys" as such the inaugural characters must be the lead characters of their respective franchises.

    Where was the GIJoe franchise leading character, Duke, on their original cardbacks? Ever since his conception and introduction (2 years after ARAHs debut), First Sergeant Duke has been the face of GIJoe (even with it's throwback facial scar). He's almost always introduced first, gets the most screentime, and has spent most time as team leader even though other characters may outrank him. Another character may be more popular, but in no way is he the leading man. I'm sure you will disagree, mostly to save your "8back" argument, but that's a debate for another forum. As for now, Duke wasn't there from the beginning, but he's usually Hasbro's "go-to" Joe. So why is it impossible for She-Ra to be a leading lady, just because she came a couple of years after?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    "Fact is, She-Ra is the lead heroine in Princess of Power. Both He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon incarnations feature Teela as the lead heroine."

    "Fact is, some She-Ra fans want her to be the lead of MOTU, but she's always been PoP, not MOTU. A spin-off cartoon with her as the lead. I like She-Ra, and even though she's now part of the MOTUC line, she's PoP."

    "He-Man is the lead of MOTU and Teela is his leading lady which makes her the leading lady of MOTU. She-Ra has never been the female lead of vintage MOTU, Filmation MOTU, NA, or MYP so I can't justify calling her the lead of MOTU."

    "I like She-Ra, but trying to push the lead heroine of PoP as THE lead heroine of MOTU is revisionist history, as is pushing She-Ra as the lead of MOTU."
    Though it's been repeated over and again what this debate is about, allow me post the original question made by the original poster...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Who is the female lead for Masters Of The Universe and everything that's connected to the franchise?

    Try to base this on who you feel is the "first lady" of this entire franchise.
    The debate is who is the leading lady of the franchise- yet you're constantly saying over and over- Teela was introduced first in MOTU... Teela had the first female figure in MOTU... Teela has more screentime in MOTU... Teela is must be the leading lady in MOTU. Everyone here knows Teela is the leading lady of MOTU (ie: Masters of the Universe, ie: He-Man). But the Masters of the Universe Franchise is more than just MOTU (and you know this*). Going back the He-Man/Superman analogy- that makes Masters of the Universe now the DC Comics Universe. Just because Lois Lane is Superman's leading lady, she sure ain't the leading lady of the DCU! Lois Lane was introduced first... she's always there at the beginning of a Superman story... So. What.

    Lois. Lane. Is. Not. Wonder. Woman.


    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Where is She-Ra in New Adventures and Jetlag?
    Idk but after watching 4 episodes I haven't seen Teela either.
    Where is she in the 1987 movie?
    http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ps716dda91.jpg
    Why are there barely any references to her in the Vintage line?
    Seriously?


    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    Well, I couldn't care less about what Mattel says because actions speak louder than words.

    TG and Mattel stated She-Ra as the lead of MOTU to pacify hardcore PoP fans
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    She-Ra was the Queen Bee in Filmation for two years, but that's where it ends.

    How Mattel treats She-Ra is a whole other matter. C'mon, the POP fans should know this first hand seeing as how they KEEP asking for more POP inclusion in everything and how much they complain whenever She-Ra gets snubbed from something.

    You really HAVE forgotten all of the corporate spin and inconsistencies when it comes to this line in general, not just POP, and the current brand manager's feelings toward it. If you truly believe that despite Mattel's actions, then you and other POP fans should never complain again that She-Ra is being left out of anything in MOTU again. She's the "top female" in the franchise, no matter how many times that Mattel decides to use Teela over her.

    She-Ra is more famous to the general public, but Teela is used way more by Mattel. Can we get that out of the way?
    Yes we need to get this out of the way. Because this is the one element that needs to be "proven to you" (being you won't even take Mattel's word for it). Here's the link...

    http://www.mattycollector.com/store/...eywords=she-ra

    You want action and not words? Click the above.

    Seems Mattel knows how to treat the Queen Bee right. Her reign hasn't ended yet. She sure isn't being snubbed in the here and now. Why didn't Mattel's true favorite Teela make the MOTUC essentials (the most relevant current MOTU product)? Heck, She-ra even has two slots with two figs where Teela can't even hold one. Oh yeah- There was that irreparable flaw in Teela's design that makes it absolutely impossible to ever make another Teela action figure ever again. If only there could have been such a thing as a "2.0"... Or maybe they just decided they'd switch it up and use more funding to produce more of the popular worldly-recognized character to pacify her much larger fan base? That's the least they could do for the Raver's being that Teela had her own show and was created to be her own brand.
    Last edited by Colder Soldier; August 19, 2013 at 02:59pm.

  8. #183
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,454
    Colder, a mod came in and told us to chill out last page.

    The floor is open for others to share their opinions as to who is the leading lady of MOTU, not the same few people debating over and over. It wouldn't end...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    Where was the GIJoe franchise leading character, Duke, on their original cardbacks? Ever since his conception and introduction (2 years after ARAHs debut), First Sergeant Duke has been the face of GIJoe (even with it's throwback facial scar). He's almost always introduced first, gets the most screentime, and has spent most time as team leader even though other characters may outrank him. Another character may be more popular, but in no way is he the leading man. I'm sure you will disagree, mostly to save your "8back" argument, but that's a debate for another forum. As for now, Duke wasn't there from the beginning, but he's usually Hasbro's "go-to" Joe. So why is it impossible for She-Ra to be a leading lady, just because she came a couple of years after?
    Sunbow and DIC cartoon's notwithstanding, Snake Eyes is G.I. Joe's most popular character.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  9. #184
    Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    Allow me to use your own comparison and analogy to blow holes through your own argument MC. You compare GIJoe's OG13 to MOTU "original toys" as such the inaugural characters must be the lead characters of their respective franchises.

    Where was the GIJoe franchise leading character, Duke, on their original cardbacks? Ever since his conception and introduction (2 years after ARAHs debut), First Sergeant Duke has been the face of GIJoe (even with it's throwback facial scar). He's almost always introduced first, gets the most screentime, and has spent most time as team leader even though other characters may outrank him. Another character may be more popular, but in no way is he the leading man. I'm sure you will disagree, mostly to save your "8back" argument, but that's a debate for another forum. As for now, Duke wasn't there from the beginning, but he's usually Hasbro's "go-to" Joe.
    Using Duke might not have been the best way to "blow holes" through my argument. With the exception of Marvel comics, Duke was ALWAYS featured as the leader in every incarnation of GI Joe, unlike She-Ra.

    A better comparison to She-Ra would be Laverne & Shirley. Much like She-Ra, they were a spin-off from Happy Days as was Mork & Mindy. They are all part of the Happy Days franchise, but neither Laverne OR Shirley would or could be considered the female leads of the Happy Days franchise even though both characters were significantly more popular than Marion or Joanie Cunningham and even had their own television show, much like She-Ra.

    Laverne & Shirley rode in holding onto Fonzie's coat tails much like She-Ra did by holding onto much less since He-Man doesn't wear a coat.



    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Colder, a mod came in and told us to chill out last page.
    No, it's all good MGM. He put the disclaimer at the beginning of his post to clarify he wasn't doing what it could appear he was doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Sunbow and DIC cartoon's notwithstanding, Snake Eyes is G.I. Joe's most popular character.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by MasterCollector; August 31, 2013 at 11:07pm.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

  10. #185
    a Muppet of a man...
    Scotward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In Maine, by the lake.
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Colder, a mod came in and told us to chill out last page.
    I did, and I'm mentioning it again. Please keep comments civil and respectful. I don't think either of these ladies would be happyy about this kind of fighting

  11. #186
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA NOLA
    Posts
    884
    Teela, come on guys She ras ok but let's face it, she was made as a spin off from He-man she ( no matter how many folk like her) is a spin off, like the 6 million dollar woman, she's no Steve Austin

    - - - Updated - - -

    Galoobs Golden girls are better

  12. #187
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    570
    teela, she was my first motu and merman, i got em for easter and loved em.. i was hooked right there..

  13. #188
    Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    383
    I’m going to call for this thread to be locked.

    The reason being that the original question is ambiguous and that people have interpreted its meaning differently which affects voting. The poll results are therefore difficult to interpret in an impartial manner and could well be meaningless. In addition, keeping the thread open only acts to unnecessarily inflame one or more groups of the He-Man.org community who believe their views are not being fully heard or represented.

    Two examples of ambiguity are:
    • The use of the phrase “Masters Of The Universe” as this implies characters that have appeared in the original MOTU comics and He-Man’s Filmation series, and who are generally resident on Eternia. Consequently, She-Ra who is part of PoP and generally resident on Etheria should not be on the list, is a red herring and can be ignored when voting. However, having her on the list of possibilities might suggest to some that “Masters Of The Universe Classics” was meant which includes PoP characters, such as She-Ra.
    • The use of the phrase ‘Lead’ is confusing as it has several meanings including the most important (e.g. Teela or the Sorceress to the story of MOTU; She-Ra or the Sorceress to the story of MOTUC) to the one of highest authority (e.g. Marlena as she is queen of Eternia in MOTU; She-Ra as she is the most capable of defeating the Horde and the main leader of the Rebels on Etheria in MOTUC) to the one who shows others the way (e.g. Sorceress). While adding ‘franchise’ infers it is the female lead who is more commercially marketable in the MOTU line (e.g. Teela) or the MOTUC line (e.g. She-Ra).


    Instead I would propose the thread is replaced by a series of threads that ask specific questions more clearly. For example:

    Which Female Lead Is The Most Important To The Masters Of The Universe Story?
    Which Female Lead Is The Most Important To The Masters Of The Universe Classics Story?
    Which Female Lead Is The Most Commercially Marketable In The Masters Of The Universe?
    Which Female Lead Is The Most Commercially Marketable In The Masters Of The Universe Classics?
    Etc.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

  14. #189
    Spirit of She-Ra ! Angel-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    4,039
    I disagree...I think this thread should remain open. It pretty much shows that Teela and She-Ra are neck and neck in importance to the entire fan base. Something hardcore fans of both characters may not like to hear. (this includes me) but it's what the results here show.

    I think the question was quantified appropriately in the opening post. It's about everything Masters of The Universe all in. Some fans have only been able to answer this question in relation to the Savage Cannon or pre Filmation POP or NA eara's because that's all they know, want to know or accept about the brand.

    But the question is still a valid and important one. Many of us who look at the brand in a unitary and synthasised way have answered this question within the peramaters that it was set.

    She-Ra is more know to the public and remembered over Teela outside of the fan community and that gives her a value to Mattel, that Teela can not, because Teela is not She-Ra and public awareness is incredably valuable when trying to get the brand back out there.

    A spin off or not She-Ra is just as much a part of this brand as Teela is, and has been show right here in this thread as being viewed just as important as Teela within the heart of the fan community.

    This poll has been growing for almost three years now and while I personally see She-Ra as the clear cut lead, fans have been arguing over this for years! However, this poll is the first real place that has asked this question and where this impotant argument has played out without flaming wars, people have actually addressed the question with logic and a lot of passion eh MGM!

    It shows that Teela and She-Ra are both seen as the leading Females of the entire Masters of the Universe brand for many different and complex reasons. That alone justifies the continued existence of this thread IMO.

    This is important as it shows Mattel that both She-Ra and Teela need to be exploited in future brand developments and She-Ra needs to be treated with the respect she deserves as she IS seen as the Lead Female of the entire brand by many fans, justifying the statement they made with Classic Media a few years ago.

    That is unless Mattel want to tick of a lot of fans who see She-Ra as vitally impotant, which is not smart, they want our money at the end of the day.

    Sorry Matt you know I think you are awesome but I have to completely disagree with you here. Regardless of her origin/ spin off nature She-Ra is both important in story and commercial terms to Mattel. Now that the film may be coming I think this question is more important than ever. Both of these characters need their due's paid!!!!!!
    Last edited by Angel-T; January 11, 2014 at 05:26am.

  15. #190
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I disagree...I think this thread should remain open. It pretty much shows that Teela and She-Ra are neck and neck in importance to the entire fan base. Something hardcore fans of both characters may not like to hear. (this includes me) but it's what the results here show.

    I think the question was quantified appropriately in the opening post. It's about everything Masters of The Universe all in. Some fans have only been able to answer this question in relation to the Savage Cannon or pre Filmation POP or NA eara's because that's all they know, want to know or accept about the brand.

    But the question is still a valid and important one. Many of us who look at the brand in a unitary and synthasised way have answered this question within the peramaters that it was set.

    She-Ra is more know to the public and remembered over Teela outside of the fan community and that gives her a value to Mattel, that Teela can not, because Teela is not She-Ra and public awareness is incredably valuable when trying to get the brand back out there.

    A spin off or not She-Ra is just as much a part of this brand as Teela is, and has been show right here in this thread as being viewed just as important as Teela within the heart of the fan community.

    This poll has been growing for almost three years now and while I personally see She-Ra as the clear cut lead, fans have been arguing over this for years! However, this poll is the first real place that has asked this question and where this impotant argument has played out without flaming wars, people have actually addressed the question with logic and a lot of passion eh MGM!

    It shows that Teela and She-Ra are both seen as the leading Females of the entire Masters of the Universe brand for many different and complex reasons. That alone justifies the continued existence of this thread IMO.

    This is important as it shows Mattel that both She-Ra and Teela need to be exploited in future brand developments and She-Ra needs to be treated with the respect she deserves as she IS seen as the Lead Female of the entire brand by many fans, justifying the statement they made with Classic Media a few years ago.

    That is unless Mattel want to tick of a lot of fans who see She-Ra as vitally impotant, which is not smart, they want our money at the end of the day.

    Sorry Matt you know I think you are awesome but I have to completely disagree with you here. Regardless of her origin/ spin off nature She-Ra is both important in story and commercial terms to Mattel. Now that the film may be coming I think this question is more important than ever. Both of these characters need their due's paid!!!!!!
    Archie has two leading ladies in Betty and Veronica. Why can't MOTU have two?

    It's so split down the middle...and this thread was started years ago!

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  16. #191
    Spirit of She-Ra ! Angel-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    4,039
    I completely agree!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

    I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

    IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

  17. #192
    Widget colgate20one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    29
    In terms of popularity, most folks would point to She-Ra but for me it was always Teela. She appeared in almost every episode, always He-Man's go-to when trotting off to battle, the only non-powered Master who still kicked all sorts of evil butt, and was featured in a lot of promotional materials.

    Even in terms of the story, she seemed a bit more intrinsic than She-Ra; she's the Sorceress' heir, He-Man's bride, queen of Eternia, mother of his child. Like Evil-Lynn, she's a lynchpin to a lot of the overall story.

  18. #193
    Heroic Master Of Wisdom Arthur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Malta near Italy
    Posts
    2,161
    To me She-Ra is the most important character in the MOTUverse. As a kid I used to refer to all my MOTU as "the She-Ra toys". Maybe that's because I got to know the She-Ra cartoon before MOTU. He-Man to me was only She-Ra's twin brother. Teela? Who is that?
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

  19. #194
    Heroic Warrior mykan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    379
    I too believe that many posters are mis-interpreting the original intention of the OP. The Masters of the Universe FRANCHISE or BRAND is composed of the characters, stories and concepts from the original Masters of the Universe and it's extensions Princess of Power, New Adventures, 200X characters, etc. Whilst some fans and collectors prefer to focus on one section of the brand/franchise or another, it should be objectively recognized that there are MORE than just 8 characters in the MOTU franchise, and that the story is ever-expanding.

    If MOTU didn't expand and evolve as a franchise, it would stagnate and die, therefore we ALL need to appreciate the efforts that have been taken to proliferate the property.

    Teela is a VERY important and beloved character, who is recognized as being the leading lady or "Lois Lane" in but ONE portion of the franchise. She's definitely high ranking, and has an important story, but her role is primarily as He-Man's immediate ally - and often his love interest.

    She-Ra was created specifically to EXPAND the franchise, bringing in more of the female market. She-Ra is literally He-Man's female equivalent. Her "Teela equivalent" is either Bow or Seahawk depending on who you ask. She-Ra carries out a battle against the forces of evil - much like He-Man. He-Man has Skeletor and the Evil Warriors, She-Ra has Hordak and the Evil Horde.

    As fans we can choose to ignore any part of the franchise we want, due to exposure, nostalgia or taste. If you want to just count He-Man and the Masters as what you like, that's fine. If you count it all as one big mythology or narrative, that's fine too. But we in the grand scheme of things, in the context of the OP, we have to try and be objective and consider ALL aspects of the MOTU brand as it is currently interpreted.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

    Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

  20. #195
    Heroic Warrior King Gilskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    560
    If it was just "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe", Teela for sure. But if it's for the entire brand with all smaller brands combined, I would say She-Ra. I'm pretty sure most of my non-MOTU fans that grew up with it remember her over Teela. I love both characters though.

  21. #196
    Slashor CreamCheeseAlchemy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,155
    I think there's a slim distinction but it seems to me that She-Ra is more along the lines of a Wonder Woman, Hermione Granger or Fionna from Adventure Time-- that there may be times where She-Ra and Teela are neck to neck but I think there's a major difference when a character is designed to fill a supporting role in franchise as opposed to starring in their own.

  22. #197
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,454
    Quote Originally Posted by mykan View Post
    I too believe that many posters are mis-interpreting the original intention of the OP. The Masters of the Universe FRANCHISE or BRAND is composed of the characters, stories and concepts from the original Masters of the Universe and it's extensions Princess of Power, New Adventures, 200X characters, etc. Whilst some fans and collectors prefer to focus on one section of the brand/franchise or another, it should be objectively recognized that there are MORE than just 8 characters in the MOTU franchise, and that the story is ever-expanding.

    If MOTU didn't expand and evolve as a franchise, it would stagnate and die, therefore we ALL need to appreciate the efforts that have been taken to proliferate the property.

    Teela is a VERY important and beloved character, who is recognized as being the leading lady or "Lois Lane" in but ONE portion of the franchise. She's definitely high ranking, and has an important story, but her role is primarily as He-Man's immediate ally - and often his love interest.

    She-Ra was created specifically to EXPAND the franchise, bringing in more of the female market. She-Ra is literally He-Man's female equivalent. Her "Teela equivalent" is either Bow or Seahawk depending on who you ask. She-Ra carries out a battle against the forces of evil - much like He-Man. He-Man has Skeletor and the Evil Warriors, She-Ra has Hordak and the Evil Horde.

    As fans we can choose to ignore any part of the franchise we want, due to exposure, nostalgia or taste. If you want to just count He-Man and the Masters as what you like, that's fine. If you count it all as one big mythology or narrative, that's fine too. But we in the grand scheme of things, in the context of the OP, we have to try and be objective and consider ALL aspects of the MOTU brand as it is currently interpreted.
    Teela is in every incarnation of MOTU except POP, so it's not only one corner of the universe:

    Vintage MOTU (Blonde or redhead Teela in bikini or leotard)
    1987 Movie (Brunette Teela with guns)
    New Adventures (Pink and blue armor)
    200X (Teen Teela)
    New 52 Teela (original costume with middrift or armored costume)

    Even if you are talking about the brand, Teela is friggin everywhere, with a figure or design that represents her in that particular era. Teela is the Wonder Woman equivalent in so many canons. Like WW, she's the token female of her team and damn near the brand. Her inclusion is without question; if we have new MOTU media, count on Teela being in it automatically.

    If She-Ra was truly as important as He-Man, then she would be the Wonder Woman equivalent. Right now, she's Supergirl -- Superman's relative with her own book, merchandise, movie, toys, etc. Currently Mattel seems to be working on her lack of focus (the IOS game DLC, the New 52 and NA She-Ra), so She-Ra might come out better defined in a few years.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  23. #198
    Spirit of She-Ra ! Angel-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    4,039
    But as already discussed being used more often does not mean she is a more important or iconic character! No matter how many times she may have been used over She-Ra it's like comparing a pawn on the chess board to the queen.

    When Mattel do something with She-Ra it creates buzz, like it does when they do something new with He-Man or Skeletor. Teela does not create buzz because she is a secondary/ love interest /support character. She was not meant to be a leader of this unified brand. She-Ra was. It's not because people are surprised that She-Ra is being used that she gets attention. It's because she is remembered out there as she was and still is an impactful character..... A feminist Icon like Wonder Woman, Teela just dosen't stand up to that kind of credentials. This is why I feel She-Ra is the "First Lady" of Masters of the Universe! No other female is as powerful as she is, has been as developed and marketed for the brand by Mattel or remains in the public eye as She-Ra.

    For the purposes of this question you can't segregate and that is still going on, but this is everything stacked together. If we are comparing to DC, the MOTU trinity is not He-Man, Skeletor and Teela. It's He-Man, Skeletor and She-Ra. These are the characters that lead the brand and have remained in the public eye/ consciousness. Teela does not have that honour afforded to her. Regardless of how much more active Mattel may have been with her.

    Again it is like suggesting Lois Lane is more important than Wonder Woman comparing Teela to She-Ra!
    Last edited by Angel-T; January 13, 2014 at 04:58pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

    I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

    IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

  24. #199
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    But as already discussed being used more often does not mean she is a more important or iconic character! No matter how many times she may have been used over She-Ra it's like comparing a pawn on the chess board to the queen.

    When Mattel do something with She-Ra it creates buzz, like it does when they do something new with He-Man or Skeletor. Teela does not create buzz because she is a secondary/ love interest /support character. She was not meant to be a leader of this unified brand. She-Ra was. It's not because people are surprised that She-Ra is being used that she gets attention. It's because she is remembered out there as she was and still is an impactful character..... A feminist Icon like Wonder Woman, Teela just dosen't stand up to that kind of credentials. This is why I feel She-Ra is the "First Lady" of Masters of the Universe! No other female is as powerful as she is, has been as developed and marketed for the brand by Mattel or remains in the public eye as She-Ra.
    ...that's whenever Mattel gets around to using She-Ra. Whenever She-Ra isn't around or available to use, guess who is the top female character? If there's a female warrior by He-Man's side--if it isn't She-Ra, it's Teela.

    If She-Ra is so important and leads the brand, then why is Teela the very first MOTU female introduced first in damn near every media Mattel signs off on? Teela was the first female made in Classics. She even has a Popcultureshock statue before She-Ra does. Even in recent years, some of the only things She-Ra trumped Teela in was being a DLC for the IOS game and having Alvin Lee artwork. Her lack of focus was so notable that some POP fans feared that Battleground Teela was replacing She-Ra.

    That's the big problem with She-Ra. Her nature as a "I have a sister?" reveal hurts her claim as being the top female (Rights might be an issue as well, depending on licensing) as Teela is established as the main female character from the beginning of any new MOTU media. Teela is on covers with Wonder Woman because She-Ra hasn't appeared yet. She-Ra isn't running around with the heroes in the mainline comic because She-Ra hasn't appeared yet. Teela appears in media first, two seasons before She-Ra shows (in Fimation, if you count POP as season three of MOTU and probably in MYP if it reached season three). This is why Teela is seen as the female lead for the brand from the beginning, until She-Ra is introduced and is actually interacting with the MOTU characters (not like her original toyline where she is kept separate).

    Teela is hardly insignificant. She is one of the most important characters in the mythos. She-Ra might have headed her own brand, but that doesn't mean that Teela isn't an important character in her own right.

    We have TWO female leads in MOTU.

    For the purposes of this question you can't segregate and that is still going on, but this is everything stacked together. If we are comparing to DC, the MOTU trinity is not He-Man, Skeletor and Teela. It's He-Man, Skeletor and She-Ra. These are the characters that lead the brand and have remained in the public eye/ consciousness. Teela does not have that honour afforded to her. Regardless of how much more active Mattel may have been with her.
    MOTU as a brand doesn't work with a top three character trinity like DC does. More like a top ten, assuming that He-Man, Skeletor, Sorceress, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Evil-Lyn, She-Ra, Hordak and Orko are all within it, since they are the biggest characters. Another way of looking at it by series:

    Heroic MOTU is He-Man, Teela and Man-At-Arms
    Heroic POP is She-Ra, Bow and Glimmer
    Heroic NA is He-Man, Hydron and Flipshot

    Again it is like suggesting Lois Lane is more important than Wonder Woman comparing Teela to She-Ra!
    And what is this Lois Lane comparison? Lois Lane is a non-combatant. That's hardly Teela, who is THE warrior woman on Eternia.

    It's more like comparing Supergirl and Wonder Woman. One is He-Man's blood relative, with her own comic, supporting cast and enemies. The other is the only female warrior on the biggest heroic team in the entire mythos.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; January 18, 2014 at 10:31am.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  25. #200
    Serious bidness Ibentmyman-thing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    169
    Teela, of course.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •