Thread: Catra as a Character

Catra as a Character

Alright, I've never watched PoP and I never had any of the toys. Now that MotUC is around, we're getting everything! So I'll find myself with a Catra figure soon, and though they'll give me some info on her in the bio, I'm more interested in what the PoP fans think of her (or have thought of her when you were kids). Here's what I got so far:

- From what I've read, it seems like she was the main villain in the toyline.
    - Hordak, of course, was the main villain in the toon and Catra seemed to be the force captain after Adora.
    - In the toon, she moves her mask down and turns into a panther.
    - She seems to have some ability in the ways of magic...?

So, beyond those things, what kinda character is she? What kind of character did you make her when you were young? Is she particularly hateful of She-Ra (or Adora) and vengeful? Maybe considers herself a rival? Do you think she would seize power from Hordak if she got the chance? Does she have any greater plans, or is she just completely wrapped up in defeating She-Ra?

You don't have to limit yourself to my questions. I'm just looking to find out what you PoP fans think of Catra, and how you've built her up in your mind over the years.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Yeah, you pretty much got it.

All about Catra from the cartoon can be learned here (with pictures!):
    http://darah.com/she-ra/usrg/evilhor...raclawdeen.asp

Catra is crazy jealous of Adora because Hordak favoured her and gave her the Force Captain position. Catra has tried to take down Hordak a few times and teamed up with Scorpia to do so. She probably wants Etheria for herself. I forget her plans when she took down Hordak.

Mini-Comics/toys:

Catra was the main villain, but Hordak is in the first comic shown kidnapping Adora. She has her own army of green catmen and catbirds (house cats with wings). She's also a very powerful and evil Sorceress. She changes into a cat the same way as on the cartoon, but she becomes an ordinary black house cat (beige when Castaspella turned her into a cat).

Clawdeen was her mentor and taught her how to turn into a cat. I believe she's in love with Bow and wants to force him to be with her (because of the one mini-comic which shows her thoughts for when she makes a fish circus or something. ). It's very much like how Skeletor always wanted to kidnap and marry Teela in old media...and he cloned the Sorceress, which techically makes Teela his daughter. Creepy.

Books:

In a U.K. book, I'm pretty sure Catra has her own robots which are like Horde Troopers...but look odd. She also has a cat named Magicat that's basically a white Panthor with red Panthor saddle with 3 jewels instead of the spikes. The same book shows the Fright Zone as a giant cat fortress...so I don't know if that was supposed to be THE Fright Zone or Catra's base on the Fright Zone's property.

She created a wearhouse that made robot clones of She-Ra, Bow, Glimmer and Madame Razz in another book. I didn't fully read it yet, but I think they were supposed to replace them and bring down the rebellion.

Toy Catra is basically Skeletor and Evil-Lyn as one person. In the later minis, she's basically just a REALLY peeved off, jealous girl from high school with a case of the crazies. The "they'll all love me if I get this" and "they won't be able to have the dance without their music! Ahahahaha!" kind of deal. Cartoon and Book Catra are basically Skeletor.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Thank you! That seems to be all the information I need to really make a background for her. I really like the bits about having a cat fortress that looked like the fright zone. I'm getting an idea of her being one of the big bads of Etheria until Hordak showed up and started taking over. I imagine that stuff could have been hers originally, and while she started out striking a deal with Hordak, it ended in Hordak bascially owning everything. I mean, what could she do against him? Then, of course, when he at least promises her a high position, it goes to Adora.

Good stuff, good stuff! I like her being a bit more than just a person who hates She-Ra.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I guess I can't really add anything to the information already provided, but I will say that I loved Catra back in the day. She's got the best body and features of all the POP cast (and that's saying something!) and she knows it. I don't think she'd know what to do with Etheria if she got her claws on it, which is probably why the hidden world of the Magicats (see the episode of the same name, in which we learn that Hordak gave her her mask, and it came from the captured queen of the Magicats, who very much resembles Catra in panther form) so appealed to her. A small society she can boss around is probably all she wants. She'd never take on Hordak directly and seriously expect to win.

As for magic, I always believed she was into it, but other fans here have pointed out a comment or two made in the series that suggest otherwise, so that much is up to you.

Also - on the show, she flirts a little with SeaHawk, while he's ashamed of himself for working with the Horde. I think she likes being on top

Widget
    I loved both Catra's, I loved that the main focus on the toy range was Catra being She-ra's main problem. Then in the show she was basically a cooler version and meaner but working for Hordak. Both elements are great. With the new figure I think they have captured the true Catra as having grown up with both I prefer the Filmation version as she is just mean while toy version is a bit "Highschool rebel"

Catra's a mean girl. I love that, while she is a formidable, deangerous foe for She-Ra and the Rebellion, she is at heart a petty, jealous bee-yotch who probably has Daddy issues. If she'd lived on Earth, she'd probably have ended up on the pole, but on Etheria, with a ruthless villain like Hordak arriving, she had a chance to cause some real trouble.

I'm very interested in how MOTUC's Catra Bio handles her. Where will her powers come from? Was she already on Etheria, as I imagine?

Hey, can anyone post pics of her green Catmen? Would they be a cool army-builder someday? Toss in some catbirds with 'em!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Hey, can anyone post pics of her green Catmen? Would they be a cool army-builder someday? Toss in some catbirds with 'em!
    Here are the best pictures of the Catmen and Catbirds I can find:

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

She has catbirds?! That's hilarious!! MAN, I gotta find some small toys cats and put wings on 'em. I love that! Flying cats hovering around Catra...good lord that's good stuff.

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    there's a cute children's book called catwings... catra's cats always remind me of that book.
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

Quote Originally Posted by LadyAngora View Post
    there's a cute children's book called catwings... catra's cats always remind me of that book.
    Yeah, I remember that book! I've worked at a library for a good while now, and I always flipped through that a little before putting it away. Dunno why cats with wings are so funny to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Yeah, I remember that book! I've worked at a library for a good while now, and I always flipped through that a little before putting it away. Dunno why cats with wings are so funny to me...

Probably because cats usually hunt, play & eat birds...you never quite expect that one should have wings like a bird. I wonder, do other cats get the urge to pounce on just a wing flapping if they don't see the cat that it belongs to...hehehe
    She-Ra Princess of Power clip art, animated gifs & panoramic screen caps at http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20Clip%20Art/
    My other artworks http://cosmicfalcon-70.deviantart.com/

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    - She seems to have some ability in the ways of magic...?
    Actually, Catra has no magical abilities. You may argue her cats mask is magical, which it is, but it was given to her by Hordak. She herself has no magical abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    As for magic, I always believed she was into it, but other fans here have pointed out a comment or two made in the series that suggest otherwise, so that much is up to you.
    Catra detests magic. This is shown in an episode where Shadow Weaver is trying to use magic in the Fright Zone on something, and Catra is against her magic and fights it using technology (some kind of big gun-machine thing). They're battle results in an explosion sending Hordak somewhere, I think? (I haven't watched the series in a while) Anyway, the point is clearly made that Catra has no interest in/appreciation for magic. Oh, and I just remembered, I think this is also shown in, I believe, " Of Shadows and Skulls", where Weaver and Catra are atop a cliff battling the Rebellion in a cave area below. They fight over which of their methods to use, Weaver's magic or Catra's technology. So IMO it's always been clearly shown that Catra is against magic and is 100% for technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Catra has tried to take down Hordak a few times and teamed up with Scorpia to do so.
    I don't think that's true. They worked together against Huntara, and I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Scorpia never tried to take down Hordak with anyone (Scorpia is my favorite POP villain).

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Here are the best pictures of the Catmen and Catbirds I can find:
    Lol, wow, cool...are those from a mini-comic or a magazine or what?
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; February 19, 2011 at 10:21am.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Actually, Catra has no magical abilities. You may argue her cats mask is magical, which it is, but it was given to her by Hordak. She herself has no magical abilities.
    actually, she gets her mask from the Queen of the Magicats... turning her into a cat is only one of the magical abilities the mask has, but since Catra has stolen it, she doesn't know how the other properties work. I think she knew at one point, but her memory was tampered with, and she only knows the cat transformation now.

it's been a while since i've seen that episode.
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyAngora View Post
    actually, she gets her mask from the Queen of the Magicats.
    Yeah, when I said Hordak gave it to her, I meant that as in Hordak stole it from the Queen of the Magicats when he captured her, then giving it to Catra.

Hmm, kinda makes ya wonder what her name was before she became "Catra"?
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Yeah, when I said Hordak gave it to her, I meant that as in Hordak stole it from the Queen of the Magicats when he captured her, then giving it to Catra.

Hmm, kinda makes ya wonder what her name was before she became "Catra"?
    ha! that's a good question... wonder if she sounded cat-like before that too? lol!
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------

I don't think that's true. They worked together against Huntara, and I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Scorpia never tried to take down Hordak with anyone (Scorpia is my favorite POP villain).
    I think there's one episode where they team up to take down Hordak. I'm pretty sure they teamed up together in at least 2 episodes and 1 was to take down Hordak. They turn against each other in the end. I think I'm remembering it right.

Lol, wow, cool...are those from a mini-comic or a magazine or what?
    Journey to Mizar mini-comic. Catra's pretty scary in those little books. It's interesting because mini-comic Catra is very magical and cartoon Catra was anti-magic. In the Mizar comic alone, she watched She-Ra from a crystal ball and summoned giant Sea Serpents to get She-Ra.