Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was there always a He-Man?

Was there always a He-Man?

I know this has been discussed but I couldn't find a specific thread about it...

Do you guys think that after King Grayskull there was always a "He-Man" to protect the power sword (Vikor, Wun-Dar, Oo-Lar) or was their times of peace (like when Adam was growing up) that a He-Man was not needed?

I seem to remember Toyguru touching on this subject but can't can't seem to locate the info.

5000 years have passed between Grayskull & Adam (the chose one) but with all of the He-MEN was there always a designated He-Man?
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

I think there were periods of time in which there was no He-Man and the both parts of the sword were hidden somewhere on Eternia by "the goodess". In case that some evil powers were searching for the swords or in the case that the swords have to be removed from the cache a new He-Man was needed.

The He-Man in the picture above isnīt Adam, but he wears the same techno vest as Adam (inclusive shoes)...was he living before Adam? No, because in MotuC Bio of He-Man they say "At first, he used a techno vest with a built-in force field...". So this guy live years after Adam???
    Or was he living before Adam wearing the same vest but without "build-in force field"???
    When this is true, there must have lived minimum one other He-Man before this guy above wearing the same vest.
    How many He-Man before Adam were wearing this vest?
    Vikor and Wun-Dar have their own styles, at some point in time the He-Man begin wearing all the same vest!?

I am wrong?
    Last edited by Feast-Man; January 22, 2011 at 12:01pm.
    action features for action figures!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Feast-Man View Post
    The He-Man in the picture above isnīt Adam, but he wears the same techno vest as Adam (inclusive shoes)...was he living before Adam? No, because in MotuC Bio of He-Man they say "At first, he used a techno vest with a built-in force field...". So this guy live years after Adam???

Or does he was living before Adam wearing the same vest but without "build-in force field"???
    When this is true, there must have lived minimum one other He-Man before this guy above wearing the same vest.
    How many He-Man before Adam were wearing this vest?
    Vikor and Wun-Dar have their own styles, at some point in time the He-Man begin wearing all the same vest!?

I am wrong?
    That techno vest in the picture... HAS the forcefield.

In the original mini's the vest gave him his vast strength and immunity to harm with a 'force-field'

As for the rest... while it hasn't been CONFIRMED yet... the going theory is that is Oo-lar in the picture, and he was the He-man before Adam. During Adam's life-time... He fought Gygor.. and Skeletor in his Battle Armor...

Toyguru has said there was always a He-man... but I don't actually believe that...

It sounds a little TOO much like buffy. Where as soon as one dies, then another is revealed... I think that when one he-man died... there was a time between days... to months... or even years, as Goddess searched and trained a replacement.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    "At first, he used a techno vest with a built-in force field..."

Everything Phantom1592 said. Also, in regards to Adam as He-Man, he used the vest's force field as protection before joining the two halves of the Power Sword. Then, he was able to channel the power within, to protect himself.

I'd imagine when the Goddess gave Oo-Larr the armor, he also used the force field as protection.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    That techno vest in the picture... HAS the forcefield.

In the original mini's the vest gave him his vast strength and immunity to harm with a 'force-field'

As for the rest... while it hasn't been CONFIRMED yet... the going theory is that is Oo-lar in the picture, and he was the He-man before Adam. During Adam's life-time... He fought Gygor.. and Skeletor in his Battle Armor...
    But in the bio they say "At first, he used a techno vest with a built-in force field"...strange...

But if i am wrong, where does this vest come from? the vest was already there when the goodess presents it to Oo-lar...Must be minimun one He-Man before Oo-lar with this vest (because it looks old and used). But maby it is only an old war armor she gives him like Wun-dar the cosmic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-O View Post
    Yes, i thought there is a different between a techno vest and the techno vest!?
    Why should they say "a" techno vest when it is "the" techno vest from the last H-M
    But my english is bad so maybe you are right
    Last edited by Feast-Man; January 21, 2011 at 09:23pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    Why should they say "a" techno vest when it is "the" techno vest from the last H-M
    That's an excellent point, F-M!

I've been perusing the forums and I don't think anyone else has commented on that fact. Good eye!
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I asked Toyguru about this...

Was there a He-Man active through all 5000 years until Adam (Sorta like when a He-Man perishes, the Goddess seeks out a new replacement and did this continuously until Adam was born) or were there these little gaps of these peaceful ages where a He-Man wasn't needed and the Power Sword halves went undisturbed?

I'm asking this because with 5000 years, that's alot of He-Men. Unless a He-Man was only chosen because of the most extreme threats to Eternia.

Yes, the idea is there was always someone guarding the sword of He. But that warrior wasn't always known. In some generations the guardian warrior kept to him or herself.

But this is how the "legend of the He-Man" spread around Eternia until Adam used the Power of Grayskull to transform into the one true He-Man.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Also, Oo-Lar was around during the time of Adam being born, if I'm remember right? Because he fought Gy-Gor during the Great Unrest. Right?
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Good point about "a" versus "the". It could be a reference to where his power/protection is coming from, also if the wording is taken directly from any source material. Also, as it was the first figure, they might not have wanted to mention Oo-Lar just yet, and keep us wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkhide View Post
    Also, Oo-Lar was around during the time of Adam being born, if I'm remember right? Because he fought Gy-Gor during the Great Unrest. Right?
    Yes. That's right!
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    There has to be a story behind the techno vest. King Grayskull didn't wear it. It had to come from somewhere.

I think there has been period of relative calm. It is stated in the bio that Vikor himself was briefly a He-man. I could be that sometimes they just need a "He-man" for a single adventure and that's it for them.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    A He-Man for every generation, huh? I wonder how it makes more sense to have some warrior who can't even tap into the power of the sword* to protect the sword by carrying it about instead of the Sorceress guarding it inside Castle Grayskull or even having it split and hidden somewhere? And does the Goddess wait for the previous He-Man to die, or does the old guy get to retire at some age after a new one has been trained?

(*Unless he/she is a descendant of King Grayskull, which would defeat the purpose of the limitation, storywise.)

Personally I'm more in favor of the idea that there have been only a handful of He-Men, all of them called to protect Castle Grayskull from some great evil. The rest of the time the sword has remained hidden and unused and the memory of He-Man lived only in stories of bygone times.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post
    A He-Man for every generation, huh? I wonder how it makes more sense to have some warrior who can't even tap into the power of the sword* to protect the sword by carrying it about instead of the Sorceress guarding it inside Castle Grayskull or even having it split and hidden somewhere?
    Are they carrying the actual power sword, or a replica of it? Skeletor/Keldor and Faker have replicas, and every "powersword" that these He-Men carry has a handle with a different color (black, blue, etc.) I think these guys are just carrying replicas of the sword (which may have some power), while the true sword rests inside Greyskull waiting for the true He-Man.

Faker carries a replica sword because he is suppose to look like He-Man. As to why Skeletor would have a replica sword... who knows. Maybe he slayed one of the He-Men and stole it.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; January 22, 2011 at 02:38pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Good point about "a" versus "the". It could be a reference to where his power/protection is coming from, also if the wording is taken directly from any source material. Also, as it was the first figure, they might not have wanted to mention Oo-Lar just yet, and keep us wondering.
    Honestly... I don't think these bio's have been written with enough skill to nit-pick their grammar. A techno-vest... vs. THE techno vest?? I DOUBT that 'meant' anything...

Look at it this way....

Originally (in Motuc AND Mini Comics...) He used a vest to be He-man. the vest gave him strength and it gave him a force field....

THEN he gained the power of the sword.

NOW... He-man has the strength (much MORE Strenght....) and durability WITHOUT the vest....

For example when it gets stripped from him... or he's in Battle armor... or Thunderpunch... or snake armor... He's NOT wearing the Corodite vest

BUT he's still He-man

I'm curious where it came from too... I think the sorceress and/or Goddess helped create it to simiulate King Grayskulls massive power...

Always a He-Man?

Depends on how many "He-Men" figures you can sell and fit into the time-line (assuming the Mattel folks get the math right).
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Honestly... I don't think these bio's have been written with enough skill to nit-pick their grammar. A techno-vest... vs. THE techno vest?? I DOUBT that 'meant' anything...

Maybe you right, but if not....

There are two possibilities for me,

The Oo-lar possibility.

The guy on the picture from the original mini-comics is Oo-lar.
    The picture shows the goodess refering the techno vest to Oo-lar.
    That means that Oo-lar, who had lived as a He-Man a short time before Adam take the job, was wearing a techno vest.
    This techno vest looks the same, as Adams vest does when he become the He-Man.

In Adams/He-Mans bio they mentioned that "At first, he used a techno vest with a built-in force field...".
    So he was the first He-Man who uses A techno vest with a built- in force field.

If this is so it leads us to only one conclusion:

The vest showen in the picture/original mini-comic is the same techno vest as Adamīs, and the goodess
    gives it to Oo-lar before Adam, but Oo-lar donīt uses or dont have the built-in force field.

In this case they should have said "At first, he used THE techno vest with a built-in force field...". to be correct.

The question now is where come this vest from, because in the picture the vest is already there.

Do it belong or was invented by a "He-Man" before Oo-lar?
    Or is it just a kind of Soldier Armor? (without build-in force field)?

The After Adam possibility.

In Adams/He-Mans bio they mentioned that "At first, he used A techno vest with a built-in force field...".

The guy in the picture is not Oo-lar, but a He-Man who appears after Adam/He-Man, receiving Adamīs/He-Manīs techno vest from the goodess, including the already from Adam used build-in force field.

hmmm?

I think some of this thread is being steered in the wrong direction due to some language barriers. Feast-Man, the term "at first" does not in any way imply that Adam was the first to wear the vest. It means that wearing the vest was how he protected himself in his first adventures (before uniting the Power Sword of He).

I hope that helps!

Also:

Quote:
    Was there a He-Man active through all 5000 years until Adam (Sorta like when a He-Man perishes, the Goddess seeks out a new replacement and did this continuously until Adam was born) or were there these little gaps of these peaceful ages where a He-Man wasn't needed and the Power Sword halves went undisturbed?

I'm asking this because with 5000 years, that's alot of He-Men. Unless a He-Man was only chosen because of the most extreme threats to Eternia.

Yes, the idea is there was always someone guarding the sword of He. But that warrior wasn't always known. In some generations the guardian warrior kept to him or herself.

But this is how the "legend of the He-Man" spread around Eternia until Adam used the Power of Grayskull to transform into the one true He-Man.

This answer could be taken to imply that there was indeed always a "He-Man," but it could also mean that at some points in Eternian history, someone such as The Sorceress or The Goddess or even a female warrior (He-Ra?) protected the sword.

I would like to know whether these warriors were ever in possession of the whole sword. Perhaps there were a couple of He-Men wandering around at some ponts, each protecting a half...?

I can't wait to lear more about the Bio-Canon. Every little bit deepens the history of Eternia. I love it!!!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I think some of this thread is being steered in the wrong direction due to some language barriers. Feast-Man, the term "at first" does not in any way imply that Adam was the first to wear the vest. It means that wearing the vest was how he protected himself in his first adventures (before uniting the Power Sword of He).

I hope that helps!
    Yes, thank you!

Maybe you right, but if not....

There are two possibilities for me,

The Oo-lar possibility.

The guy on the picture from the original mini-comics is Oo-lar.
    The picture shows the goodess refering the techno vest to Oo-lar.
    That means that Oo-lar, who had lived as a He-Man a short time before Adam take the job, was wearing a techno vest.
    This techno vest looks the same, as Adams vest does when he become the He-Man.

In Adams/He-Mans bio they mentioned that "At first, he used a techno vest with a built-in force field...".

If this is so it leads us to only one conclusion:

The vest showen in the picture/original mini-comic is the same techno vest as Adamīs, and the goodess
    gives it to Oo-lar before Adam, but Oo-lar donīt uses or dont have the built-in force field.

In this case they should have said "At first, he used THE techno vest with a built-in force field...". to be correct.

The question now is where come this vest from, because in the picture the vest is already there.

Do it belong or was invented by a "He-Man" before Oo-lar?
    Or is it just a kind of Soldier Armor? (without build-in force field)?

The After Adam possibility.

In Adams/He-Mans bio they mentioned that "At first, he used A techno vest with a built-in force field...".

The guy in the picture is not Oo-lar, but a He-Man who appears after Adam/He-Man, receiving Adamīs/He-Manīs techno vest from the goodess, including the already from Adam used build-in force field.

hmmm?
    I think early on they were just trying to retcon the early concept of He-Man as jungle warrior with the Filmation Adam/He-Man concept, making for a single character with elements from both stories. Now it looks like they're separating the two ideas into two different characters - Adam and "Oo-Lar."

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I think early on they were just trying to retcon the early concept of He-Man as jungle warrior with the Filmation Adam/He-Man concept, making for a single character with elements from both stories. Now it looks like they're separating the two ideas into two different characters - Adam and "Oo-Lar."
    Yes and so are we... cause without this part of the story making sense the Green Goddess/Teela'Na/Teela/Was she a clone or not part of the story will continue to be the most confusing of all the elements of the time line...
    What happened to Oo-Larr after Prince Adam came of age to become He-Man?? That story needs to be told.

I definitely miss the vine-jungle native barbarian He-Man..
    And I dislike the idea that "HE-MAN" is a title because I like that version of the character so much. "HE-MAN" wasn't a title, it was his name. I'd imagine it was a descriptive name like in some Native American cultures who'd give their warriors names like "One Who Lives Alone" or "He Is Strong".

Now I'm not certain on Mattel's continuity. Am I wrong in thinking that this guy got retconned into being "Oo-Lar", or am I thinking of something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Now I'm not certain on Mattel's continuity. Am I wrong in thinking that this guy got retconned into being "Oo-Lar", or am I thinking of something else?
    It would appear so, that the barbarian He-Man in first mini-comic has been ret-conned as Oo-Lar only in MOTUC Bios-Continuity. Also if I remember Oo-Lar as a name in the first place was a typo from Mo-Larr.

In answer to the original question, I believe there always was a He-Man. The Goddess chose many warriors, but their primary role was that of a protector, not entirely dissimilar from the knights in Indiana Jones. Their job was to keep the swords safe for the chosen one. Sure, often they would be great warriors in their own right, that's a good qualification for the job, but even in times of peace I imagine their were chosen protectors who protected the swords - and to a slightly lesser extend - protected the peace.

I think plenty of good storytelling relies on threes. The power of King Grayskull was separated into three components after the first Ultimate Battleground. All three of these components are interesting stories in their own right; the power of Grayskull - defended by generations of sorceresses, the decendands of Grayskull, and the sword itself, protected by warriors chosen by the Goddess. Only when the sword, the power and the descendant of Grayskull were reunited did He-Man arise.

I would love to hear about some of the He-Men between Vikor and Wun-Dar.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    ....But then his enemies acquired a Dinosaur, who eats force field vests!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

To me, the strangest part of all this is that it implies that the He-Man we all probably know best was just Adam in a powered up costume. Adam wore the vest to protect himself because he had no actual power. It wasn't until after he unites the twin halves of the sword that he unlocks the true power of grayskull and that gives him Battle Armor. Kind of an interesting wrinkle. Seems like it should be the other way round, as Power Vest He-Man is usually depicted with the sword, and Battle Armor He-Man is usually depicted with an axe. But still, a very interesting story wrinkle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    It would appear so, that the barbarian He-Man in first mini-comic has been ret-conned as Oo-Lar only in MOTUC Bios-Continuity. Also if I remember Oo-Lar as a name in the first place was a typo from Mo-Larr.
    Hmm? So the original He-Man is now a typo of the dentist? Great. I had wondered about their name similarity though.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    To me, the strangest part of all this is that it implies that the He-Man we all probably know best was just Adam in a powered up costume. Adam wore the vest to protect himself because he had no actual power. It wasn't until after he unites the twin halves of the sword that he unlocks the true power of grayskull and that gives him Battle Armor. Kind of an interesting wrinkle. Seems like it should be the other way round, as Power Vest He-Man is usually depicted with the sword, and Battle Armor He-Man is usually depicted with an axe. But still, a very interesting story wrinkle.
    No, I think that implication is actually backwards: the Battle Armor is supposed to be the techno-vest and the standard He-Man is the one with the power sword. After all, the bio on the Battle Armor He-Man says the Battle Armor was created to protect him during his "early battles with Skeletor". It's ultimately just a continuity snarl. Mattel can't be bothered to make their toys suit the story so they trying to make the story suit the toys instead, and they come up with stuff like this that doesn't really work either way.

Honestly, I don't see Adam being a Warrior without He-Man's power anyway.