Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was there always a He-Man?

There was only ever one He-man, Prince Adam.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Some of us are trying to create the history ourselves... trying to tie up those loose ends and make a bigger and more vibrant history that makes more sense than what we have been given. The "There is only Adam" history is so boring... I own Wun-dar... and I want him to make sense. I want the bare-footed He-Man who came from a village in the Vine Jungle. I am thinking about buying another Teela so I can have The Goddess from the Comic books fighting along side a long haired, blonde Teela in classic teela gear. The timeline of these toys is so much more interesting if you go back and read the mini-comics... and that history does make sense if you let it.
    (http://old.he-man.org/primary_sects/...tu/index.shtml).
    All that needs to be told, in my opinion, is a 'What happened to the Jungle He-Man' story... tell a story where Gygor and the jungle He-Man battled and both lost their lives as the twins are being born. An attack on Castle Grayskull by Gygor... An attack on Teela'Na (where she either was or wasn't cloned... (or maybe even develope a deeper conspiracy that Fisto fathered young Teela)) Both distractions for attempted kidnapping of the twins... where Adora was abducted. I know this isn't a protected thread but I would like to talk about this with like-minded folks that won't just dismiss it, outright.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I'm a die-hard Filmation continuity guy, but even there, there are hints that maybe He-Man has existed before. We know for a fact that a Man-at-Arms has basically always been around (from Skytree), but there are a couple things I recall along this line for He-Man, as well. Granamyr talks about hearing the name and speaks of it like it's an old legend rather than a recent rumor. And at least one other time I can think of a character stated he thought He-Man was just a legend. Now, in the Filmation story, He-Man is still in his early twenties, and we have to presume he hasn't been He-Man all that long (I doubt it happened at 16 as in the 2002 toon, as He-Man and Adam have the same basic build and size, so a 16 year old He-Man would have looked like He-Boy), likely only a few years. I'm sure his exploits spread pretty fasy across Eternia, but the way these people talk, it's like something that's been floating around for a long time. Maybe it's just that tales of a great hero being prophesied and now has finally appeared, but it does make one wonder if Adam is the first He-Man.

Of course, I actually prefer Adam and Adora to be the first wielders of the swords (I dislike the whole King Grayskull concept because it makes Adam a lesser version of KG), but there does seem to be a case for at least one past He-Man even in the Filmation mythos.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I'm a die-hard Filmation continuity guy, but even there, there are hints that maybe He-Man has existed before. We know for a fact that a Man-at-Arms has basically always been around (from Skytree), but there are a couple things I recall along this line for He-Man, as well. Granamyr talks about hearing the name and speaks of it like it's an old legend rather than a recent rumor. And at least one other time I can think of a character stated he thought He-Man was just a legend.
    There is strong evidence from parallel canons, though, that the hero was "foretold from the dawn of Eternian time" (to quote the classic record). See also the storybook "Castle Grayskull."

Personally, I favor the lineage:
    He-Ro---> ancestor of He-Man and She-Ra
    Staff of Power/Magic Staff --> reforged (in part) into the Sword of Power
    Staff of Power + Crystal from Crystal Castle --> combined and reforged to create Sword of Protection
    Jewel in Staff of Power --> baseline of Orb of Power/Power of Grayskull.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dude View Post
    Some of us are trying to create the history ourselves... trying to tie up those loose ends and make a bigger and more vibrant history that makes more sense than what we have been given. The "There is only Adam" history is so boring... I own Wun-Dar... and I want him to make sense. I want the bare-footed He-Man who came from a village in the Vine Jungle. I am thinking about buying another Teela so I can have The Goddess from the Comic books fighting along side a long haired, blonde Teela in classic Teela gear. The timeline of these toys is so much more interesting if you go back and read the mini-comics... and that history does make sense if you let it.
    I try to create the history myself too, but I never really knew about the "Multiple He-Man"s concept until very recently, so this is a new thing. Don't get me wrong, I really like most of these characters, I just object to calling them "He-Man". To me, the only He-Man was born son of King Randor. That said, most of these other characters, like Wun-Dar, He-Ro, Vykron and Vikor, are really pretty decent characters and I like hearing about them, but they just aren't He-Man.
    All that needs to be told, in my opinion, is a 'What Happened to the Jungle He-Man' story... tell a story where Gygor and the jungle He-Man battled and both lost their lives as the twins are being born. An attack on Castle Grayskull by Gygor... An attack on Teela'Na (where she either was or wasn't cloned... (or maybe even develop a deeper conspiracy that Fisto fathered young Teela)) Both distractions for attempted kidnapping of the twins... where Adora was abducted. I know this isn't a protected thread but I would like to talk about this with like-minded folks that won't just dismiss it, outright.
    No, no, this is interesting... I like this story outline! So if there's an attempt on both Grayskull and on Teela'Na's life, who else is attacking besides Gygor? Who's kidnapping Adora? I always imagine it's Keldor, but it's your story! But as for Teela, that's another big continuity problem though, isn't it? There are several incarnations of Sorceresses and Goddesses, and two back-stories for Teela, each of them very compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Of course, I actually prefer Adam and Adora to be the first wielders of the swords (I dislike the whole King Grayskull concept because it makes Adam a lesser version of KG), but there does seem to be a case for at least one past He-Man even in the Filmation mythos.
    I see it a little differently. Adam is Super KG. Remember He-Ro's part in this. Adam has the sword at its full power, plus the power of the trollan elders. He's Grayskull, plus He-Ro, plus the council of elders. Maybe I'm overlapping things here but He-Man is the most powerful evolution of all the past protectors of the power of the universe.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I see it a little differently. Adam is Super KG. Remember He-Ro's part in this. Adam has the sword at its full power, plus the power of the trollan elders. He's Grayskull, plus He-Ro, plus the council of elders. Maybe I'm overlapping things here but He-Man is the most powerful evolution of all the past protectors of the power of the universe.
    I agree... that seems to be the big picture. The jungle He-man just happened to be the ONE He-Man that looked like the He-Man that Adam transorms into. I like to think that, maybe, the essence of Sharella (The Green Goddess) passed into Teela when she was cloned... born... whatever (The one and only reason for this is because from then on the Green Goddess is never heard from again). This is happening inside Grayskull as Gygor and the Jungle He-Man battle outside. Meanwhile... this distraction allows for Adora to be abducted from the palace. I feel like it would make sense that the Jungle He-man... although defeated Gygor and killed him... was mortally woulded himself. There is nothing in the old mini-comics that detract from what could happen with the Adam era. And as for many hero's being called He-Man... the same thing was done for Arthur of Camelot... it is believed that many men played that role, too.

Heroic Warrior
    The MOTUC bios try to explain too much imo. There was more fun, with the Filmation concept to keep it mysterious. Back in the days, Castle Grayskull seems to be timeless and full of mysteries. Now the whole power is in an orb. Not that exciting. Not to mention the whole aura of the gods, Overlords, splitting and cloning of the Power Sword stuff, that is very confusing...

In my canon, there is only one He-man (Adam), the other guys can be guardians...

I'm happy with Wundar and Vikor and the gang existing and being heros from Eternias past but why can't they be independent heros rather than all being He-men. I think it makes them more interesting to not be He-men.
    I also find it takes away from a character to have multiple versions of themselves. Like the idea someone had on here to have a Snake Mountain Man and Fright Zone man etc. Makes Grayskull man less unique.
    Last edited by Rodster6; December 2, 2012 at 12:48pm.