Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Role play items/ MOTU toy weapons?

Role play items/ MOTU toy weapons?

So I was thinking, with the news of the line doing well and Stratos selling better than they thought, the line looks like it's on it's way to possibly getting those little upgrades they said we might get to the line (extra figure per month, more unique molds). Those are all still heavy "mights", nonetheless, it's a given that this line will grow if it continues to do well.

So we all know what direction we want it to grow in. Has anyone ever thought of the extra stuff, though? One thing I know I always wanted when I was little was one of the role play items; swords, sheilds, etc. Thing is, I don't think those are ever considered for a collector's line. On top of that, if those kinds of things are considered, they are usually super expensive replicas using metal and all that. Those are fine, those are nice, but I don't have a single one of them. They made Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow swords awhile back, then there are those Force FX lightsabers, but those are all way out of my budget.

So, if ya'll can dig it, I was thinking: why not just produce some plastic power swords, like the old days? There doesn't have to be any lights or sounds, this will just be a sword for collectors. All it needs to be is a sturdy plastic, not even solid. You know, make it hollow, like the old days. I don't see why collectors have to have the real metal stuff; it's cool and all, but why not make something affordable? Just to test the waters, they could make a simple power sword and a purple power sword and put 'em up on mattycollector.

Honestly, I think a pair of plastic power swords would sell pretty well! Maybe not amazingly well, but enough to warrent the swords (a havoc staff might be pushing it, even a plastic one). Anyway, what do ya'll think about that?
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Not in MOTUC, maybe in a retail line when the movie hits but that`s about as close to that as I`d want to see lol. Nostalgia is 1 thing but it`s another to be a grown man running aroung toting a plastic sword

Wow, seriously? You count toys, but a plastic sword is too much? I wasn't really talkin' about running around with them, as much fun as that is, but something that would appeal to collectors. Like I said, the plastic one would just be an affordable display peice as opposed to the standard metal one worth over a hundred bucks.

Anyway, i'm not really into just letting my toys sit there, so I play around with plastic swords as much as I do the action figures. Heck, I got a collection of plastic swords as well! They're useful for when you need to have an impromptu gladiatorial throwdown. Doesn't leave the swords well off, but they're there to be used! Until my fiance sees the marks on the basement ceiling.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I love me some toy swords! My kids have about 20 of them, they're always making each other cry with them. It's great. I'd buy a bunch of swords and shields if they made them. A Havoc staff would be nice too. Alas, it's not gonna happen with MotUC, so we'll have to hope for the movie or a new 'toon.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Wow, seriously? You count toys, but a plastic sword is too much? I wasn't really talkin' about running around with them,
    Why not?

I think I would prefer a proper collector sword to plastic though. Both would be nice.

Just not my thing whatsoever.
    www.mattycollector.com

Faker Coming March 16th
    Mer-Man Coming April 15th
    Zodac May 15th
    Hordak June 15th
    Man-At-Arms July 15th
    Tri-Klops August 17th

My kids have those foam swords that are flexible. They are awesome and they are already being used as powerswords
    So I would love foam swords, but this is something that would make more sense outside the MOTUC line.

BTW, lego also sells the knights line swords and axes only online. So Mattel could do it.

If they would sell the inflatable swords online a lot of people would add it to their order, as long as the price isn't too steep.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I'm not sure. I don't think role play toys would work well for MOTUC, and I doubt Mattel will do them wihtout retail and children's support.

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of us here on the org (including myself!) would buy them, but I'm betting a lot of colelctor's wouldn't, and it would be a loss for Mattel.

Now, what I really want (and will probably never get) is a nice prop replica of the original Power Sword!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Ah well, guess I'm mostly on my own on this one. We've each got our own quirks, and I suppose mine is plastic swords. I just figured a cheap collectable sword woulda been better than a super expensive one i'll never get my hands on. Then again, I am a cheapskate when it comes to stuff like that.

Heroic Warrior
    Personally I want solid metal swords. I have a few of the knockoffs from my other favorite franchises and have been searching for years for a good powersword.

If they ever released them for a reasonable price I would buy two of them. And if they didn't make one of them "dark," then I'll be breaking out the paints and making one evil.

They will then be crossed hanging over my fireplace.

Widget

MOTU toy weapons ?

Do you guys wish Mattel made full scale weapons as well as the figure and vehicles and figures.

Would love Skeletors staff or He-Mans sword.

No thanks, I have no use for that.
    MOTUC Most Wanted : Battle Ram, Attak Trak, Stridor, Night Stalker, Tung Lashor, Dragstor, Masks of Power Demons, Alcala-Style-Figures, Point Dread & Talon Fighter

No Thanks!!!
    Please like my cool MOTU Universe FaceBook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/browse/admi...14947855236095

A full-scale vehicle? Wow, I'd love to fly to work in my Wind Raider.

But really, I think that a full-scale Cosmic Key would be nice. A toy prototype was made for the 87 movie, but obviously not produced. Since the prototype was developed by Mattel, and that since Preternia-disguise He-Man came with the same design, I figure that Mattel could legally create it. AND since Mattycollector sold some other movie props like the BTTF hoverboard and Ghostbusters PKE meter, they should make the Cosmic Key. It would be electric, spin, have lights, and play sounds similar to the movie.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

YES, for the love of god! But I sang this tune sometime back in 09, and no one was interested. They all want fancy metal hundred-dollar-or-more replicas of the Power Sword rather than something affordable and playable. I've always loved plastic swords 'n such and I've got a little barrel full of 'em, so I'd LOVE to add a classic Power Sword or Havoc Staff (beyond the 200X and NA ones and NA Havoc Staff) to the pile.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Some guys at Georgia Tech made various accessories from 80s toy lines. Only two MOTU item though I think. Man-E-Faces gun and a He-Man sword. Sword had the country of origin stamp on it and the part that attached to Skeletor's sword as well! Forgot what the coo was. Wasn't China though, but it looked cool being that large.

They made some other accessories from Thundercats, G.I. Joe and stuff. Can't remember exactly what they were, but it wasn't the Sword of Omens or anything I recognized other than their description sounding familiar.

They of course didn't make vehicles or characters, but I've seen such stuff on the interwebs and it makes for a cool one-off art piece or something to drive around Dragoncon. Mattel wouldn't be able to do this, and we wouldn't be able to afford it if they did.

A weapon or two maybe, as long as they are exact vintage replicas.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    YES, for the love of god! But I sang this tune sometime back in 09, and no one was interested. They all want fancy metal hundred-dollar-or-more replicas of the Power Sword rather than something affordable and playable. I've always loved plastic swords 'n such and I've got a little barrel full of 'em, so I'd LOVE to add a classic Power Sword or Havoc Staff (beyond the 200X and NA ones and NA Havoc Staff) to the pile.
    Now that I think about it, a full-scale CG weapon rack with Nerf-foam versions of those weapons would be the awesome. A MotU LARP is certain!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Given they've made several Ghostbusters props, as well as the Back to the Future hoverboard, I'm kind of surprised we haven't gotten something like this. I've got the Skeletor staff from the NA line, and that thing is awesome!. It looks cool and the sound and lights are honestly a lot of fun. I would most definitely be on board for a full sized havoc staff, power sword or even Duncan's battle mace.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Now that I think about it, a full-scale CG weapon rack with Nerf-foam versions of those weapons would be the awesome. A MotU LARP is certain!
    Yeah, that would be awesome! Especially with the kind of detail you see on some foam weapons at conventions. They're pretty impressive!

I would rather a 3rd party did them, like united cutlery or whomever does the LOTR weapons. I've been DYING for a proper, official professionally made power sword for LITERALLY decades!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

No, this doesn't have interest for me. Toys only please.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    No, this doesn't have interest for me. Toys only please.
    the OP actually said toys. like when we were kids they had the child sized role play toys. I wouldn't mind that but I really want a real power sword. esp if it WORKED!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Not really my cup of tea, but I guess I'd pick up a lifesize power sword if it looked good.

I still have a 200x power sword on my desk. Sometimes I just like to raise it in the air and yell by the power of Grayskull.

MOTU "nerf" styled weapons would be really cool. I don't think I'd want straight plastic, but I'd be down with nerf.

Of course, high end would be nice someday- maybe if a movie came out someone who does high end replicas like the Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings replicas would become a Mattel licensee.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

I'd love them for my son and I to play with, if they were made for that
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread