Thread: Biggest Toy WTF of 2013?

Biggest Toy WTF of 2013?

I was thinking about the missteps and problems that happened last year, and even though it was overall a good year for toys, there were still issues. But then I started thinking further - what were the most WTFery-filled awful decisions this last year?

EXAMPLES:

-The Spirit of Hordak. See, the atmosphere around us He-Man fans is as such: If a figure sells out immediately, then Matty is evil and wicked for not letting everyone have one. If it does not sell out immediately, then Matty overproduced and the line is dead. If Matty holds a contest, they are evil and wicked for not providing prizes to every fan. And so on. Therefore, Matty decided to offer this figure in random, unannounced "secret" chase sales throughout the year, because that would definitely feed into the goodwill of fans.

-When I reviewed the new Battle Beasts, I complained that the joints were loose and fell off, and the toys essentially could not function. A rep from DST contacted me on a forum discussion thread, explained how to fix loose/falling-off joints with glue... and then stated that having to "fix" your toys before playing with them is a positive thing, because it is like customization.

-NECA made a two-pack of the rapesquid and horribly-violated Engineer from Prometheus. As a Toys R Us exclusive. Thankfully, the TRU sticker covered the squid's detachable penis.

-The whole Django Unchained debacle.

Any others?
    Last edited by Ridureyu; February 1, 2014 at 04:56am.

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar

Yeah, that one deserves to be on here.

wow, the biggest wtf has to be a fellow fan disparaging us on our own fan site.

Can Mattel do any wrong?

This thread just needs some pom poms
    HAVES: MOSS MAN, ADORA, Mantenna, King Randor
    WANTS: Whiplash, Stinkor, Trap-Jaw, Webstor
    Toyguru Collector Supreme posted December 12, 2013 "Can't understand what you are asking. Sorry."
    Toyguru Marketing Manager Mattel posted March 16, 2014 "Every great project from toys to movie and a TV usually need a fan base to support it and an "internal champion" that keeps it going through the system."

Yes, I believe I pointed something out that Mattel did wrong.

I would say the overall shift to barely articulated 3 3/4 inch figures. It's something that Mattel seems to have been doing for quite a long time. And then Hasbro started doing it too.

WIth M.A.R.S. heroes and Mega Bloks micro figures costing around $3 per figure, one would think that larger companies could find a way to offer figures with an acceptable level of articulation for $6. But, no; they apparently could not.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    DC Universe -- R.I.P.

By the time Mattel actually produced a Holy Grail in the form of a 9" Doomsday Unleashed, alot of fans were far too jaded to care anymore. The line and 6" highly articulated figures sculpted by the 4H died.

Now we have the phoned-in Total Heroes toyline in it's place.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I would say the overall shift to barely articulated 3 3/4 inch figures. It's something that Mattel seems to have been doing for quite a long time. And then Hasbro started doing it too.
    I actually like the cheaper 5 points of articulation Star Wars figures. They cost less and they have that vintage Kenner vibe.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I actually like the cheaper 5 points of articulation Star Wars figures. They cost less and they have that vintage Kenner vibe.

I haven't observed them to be cheaper. Cheaper in construction? Yes. Cheaper in price? No.

From what I've seen, they usually package the major characters together in a 2-pack with random z-listers.
    So you end up paying close to ten bucks anyway. Might as well get a fully articulated figure if I'm spending that much.

I'm really saddened about what happened with the small figure Wolverine line.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    2013- Hasbro proved yet again they can handle GI Joe as well as a blind man can drive on the freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    From what I've seen, they usually package the major characters together in a 2-pack with random z-listers. So you end up paying close to ten bucks anyway. Might as well get a fully articulated figure if I'm spending that much.
    Star Wars is all about the z-listers. At 3 ¾” and costing $5-$6 I’ll take z-listers. It’s 7” MOTUC z-list figures costing $25-$27 plus shipping that I’m not interested in.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Yeah, but I'm usually only interested in specific childhood favorites. I used to play football with them.
    I had a really big wooden board that I drew yard lines and endzones on it with a marker. I would spend hours
    playing.

Star Wars has really been a line that I just kind of dabble in. I pick one up every once in a while, usually because they're dirt cheap or are loaded up with a bunch of accessories.

As a general rule, I'm usually reluctant to pay over $3 for a figure with 5 pts. of articulation. Unless there's some killer accessories that I'm fired up for.
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; February 2, 2014 at 01:57pm.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Truth be told, if I wanted a Darth Vader, I'd be better off paying for that 31" version. It costs maybe 3X what the smaller figures do(I can get one for about $35 shipped on Amazon) and is 6X bigger. It lacks in articulation but hey, 31". Not that I have shelf room for one or I'd have bought one back in December when they were going for $20 shipped. For 5 POA figures, the current prices are unacceptable for something not even quite as good as what we got back in the 90s.

Hordak! Put me in MOTUC! Barbecue17's Avatar
    I'd definitely say Hasbro hardly being able to get G.I. Joe product out in a year when they had a successful film was a major misstep.

I'd also say that Mattycollector early access just really didn't benefit anyone and ended up being more problematic than anything.

Star Wars Black (the 1/18th series) had the issue where the bubbles kept falling off the packaging because of the poor glue quality.

The 1966 Batman figures were decent, but Mattel kind of said the line was already canceled just as they were hitting, then showed new product, then has been mum. Talk about a way to kill interest in a line.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Not necessarily a misstep. They can't put out product if the stores don't want it. Seems like a lot of stores just aren't interested in carrying GI Joe stuff at this point.

The only stores that are still carrying it around here are TRU, Walgreens, and Walmart. And Walmart hardly counts, their action figure aisle is 1/3 of what it used to be.

With the much faster turn over from Theatre to home media we have now, toys are often still in the aisles for movies that have come out on home media from when they were put out when the movie first hit theatres. I am still trying to figure out why there were no Wreck-it-Ralph toys to be found anywhere when the movie went to home media. And what were originally 10-15$ toys are on ebay for 60+
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    DC Universe -- R.I.P.

By the time Mattel actually produced a Holy Grail in the form of a 9" Doomsday Unleashed, alot of fans were far too jaded to care anymore. The line and 6" highly articulated figures sculpted by the 4H died.

Now we have the phoned-in Total Heroes toyline in it's place.
    Agreed, the other WTF with DCUC was releasing the "no-one wants this" Batzarro as the last figure instead of someone else (like Ice as we already got Fire!)

JAG2045
    My feedback
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=108414
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=jag2045
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=117706

Great traders: Blue-jackal/Fneh(2)/Daz/Royalt1us/Evil-Orko/Buythepower/Booster/Adora/Zodac101/tokyonever/lemure77(2)/Vess(2)/Scorpia/Buzzsaw Hordak/miscus555/tmc1984/General Hawk 7

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    The Thor 4" line leaving out the main villain; same with Iron Man 3. IM3 didn't have either Mandarin or the real baddie; imagine a partly translucent figure amped up on extremis in the line. What we got was a bunch armored, barely articulated figures that still languish on the pegs.

The 4" articulation implosion. The figures may be cheaper to make, but what good does that do if they don't sell? most of the figures in that format aren't moving. Fully articulated Avengers, decent sellers. 5 Point Avengers, sitting on the pegs. Same for all the 5 point Marvels and Star Wars. Only thing that moved at all in that format was the Man of Steel figures, and those came with noticeable accessories.

Quick shots. Superman meets Stretch Armstrong. These were weird little buggers from the start, and the gimmick was the only real play value. We got a big vehicle for them, and nothing for the regular figures that were actually moving somewhat. I think these things will still be on the pegs come Christmas.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I think I might add the Max Steel line to the mix. I'm not familiar with the franchise and don't see what merits the figures have outside of whatever fandom or mythos that might exist for it.

They seem kind of crappy and overpriced.

Heroic Warrior
    And for 2014...... The Unnamed One..... I was seriously like WTF?