Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvel's Agent Carter

Marvel's Agent Carter

The long rumored TV show is officially going into series. Loved Carter (and Hayley Atwell) in the Captain America movies. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/abc-...f-s-h-i-e-l-d/

Anyone else excited?

Here's the write-up, which makes it sound like it's designed to fit comfortably in ABC's female-lead line-up in some ways:

It’s 1946, and peace has dealt Peggy Carter a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark, all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life – Steve Rogers
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

I'll give it a try, but nothing about that write-up appeals to me in the least.

It doesn't sound terribly exciting and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. took so long to get going that I'm not sure if I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Oh, don't get me wrong. The write-up is terrible. LOL. But I think it could be a fun addition to the Marvel line-up with a lead female action hero. I'm intrigued to see how they work it out. Plus, the idea of a major network show set in the 40s seems fun.

2nd Star To The Right, And Straight On 'Till Morning
    I, for one, am very excited, but I'm a sucker for all things MCU. I'm not sure that comparing it to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is the best route. I, admittedly, have loved the entire season of SHIELD, but it did have a bit of a slow build up, which isn't too unusual for a series that Whedon is connected with. As far as I can tell, the Whedons do not have any direct connection to this series.

I loved the character in the movies and the Marvel One Shot, so I am really excited to see how this show goes. I'm also interested in seeing how Marvel might sneak in the early HYDRA infiltration of SHIELD. It shouldn't be anything overtly dealt with in the show. Stark and Carter should be pretty clueless. But I hope that we, the viewers, will see some hints of it. #itsallconnected

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I'll give the show a shot; I've enjoyed Agents of SHIELD from the get go and hopefully this proves to be a good show too. Although, the premise reminds me quite a bit of season 1 of Wonder Woman (not entirely, but just enough).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Oh, don't get me wrong. The write-up is terrible. LOL. But I think it could be a fun addition to the Marvel line-up with a lead female action hero. I'm intrigued to see how they work it out. Plus, the idea of a major network show set in the 40s seems fun.
    Has there been a spy show in the last decade that DIDN'T have a lead female action hero? Heck, even Agents of Shield has half the cast as women, and May is the toughest one on the team.

I'm all for equality and female role models, but this just doesn't sound new and edgy anymore. Alias, Nikita, Fringe, Buffy, Xena, Black Widow, Elektra, the 'sexy woman warrior' has become a bit cliche'. Even in Doctor Who the all-knowing ancient experienced one is led around by the nose by the strong indepenedent women he hangs around with...

I've liked Black Widow in all the movies... each appearance only getting better. I'm looking forward to a movie for her in the future... This one? I think would feel about the same as all the rest, just set in the 40's

I'll give it a shot, but I'm not overly excited about it. After watching Winter Soldier and knowing how things turn out with Peggy and SHIELD.... the 'prequel' idea holds a lot less interest for me.

That description sounds exactly like the plot of the Marvel One Shot. I would hope they don't stick to that for the pilot. I would hope it's mainly about her starting up S.H.I.E.L.D., with hopefully Dominic Cooper coming back as Howard Stark.

Also,

I'm sure part of the plot will be about how Hydra infiltrates shield, too.
    That would be great to see.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Has there been a spy show in the last decade that DIDN'T have a lead female action hero? Heck, even Agents of Shield has half the cast as women, and May is the toughest one on the team.
    Well.... 24, Burn Notice, Spooks, Intelligence, Sleeper Cell... but I understand your point. There have been a lot of female-lead spy series.

I'm all for equality and female role models, but this just doesn't sound new and edgy anymore. Alias, Nikita, Fringe, Buffy, Xena, Black Widow, Elektra, the 'sexy woman warrior' has become a bit cliche'. Even in Doctor Who the all-knowing ancient experienced one is led around by the nose by the strong indepenedent women he hangs around with...
    Why does it have to be new or edgy? Why can't it just be good. LOL. The fact a female leading it doesn't make it special in and of itself, true. But Marvel hasn't given a female character the lead in anything yet. Agents of SHIELD has three whole females, yes, but it's very much an ensemble show with Clark Gregg as slightly more of a lead.

I've liked Black Widow in all the movies... each appearance only getting better. I'm looking forward to a movie for her in the future... This one? I think would feel about the same as all the rest, just set in the 40's
    If they stopped making shows that felt like other shows they'd just stop making them. It'll all be about the quality of the casting and the writing. And I'm excited about the one bit of casting we know for sure - Hayley Atwell. I think she'll bring a lot to the lead role. Of course, it seems like Howard Stark will be popping up at least as reoccuring. So that's exciting for me, too. The appeal of the 40s-style sci-fi that could be involved is really exciting to me, too, from a visual standpoint. Also, if they do it right, there's a LOT of fun to be had with the setting. It could make a huge difference to the plot and could make it VERY different than other spy shows that rely on modern technology like cell phones, sattelites, GPS, facial recognition, etc, etc, to tell their stories.

Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    That description sounds exactly like the plot of the Marvel One Shot. I would hope they don't stick to that for the pilot. I would hope it's mainly about her starting up S.H.I.E.L.D., with hopefully Dominic Cooper coming back as Howard Stark.

Also,
    If they do start it a bit farther back than the one-shot, it might be just to give them some room to work up toward SHIELD. I am intrigued to see how that plays out.

Heroic Warrior
    Why does it have to be new or edgy? Why can't it just be good. LOL. The fact a female leading it doesn't make it special in and of itself, true. But Marvel hasn't given a female character the lead in anything yet. Agents of SHIELD has three whole females, yes, but it's very much an ensemble show with Clark Gregg as slightly more of a lead..
    I think the problem is describing it as a 'female-led' show. If it was just described as a 'kick-butt spy show set in the 40's, I wouldn't have said anything. The fact that the lead is a female shouldn't be important at all. Who leads a show should be based entirely on what is best for the show

As for Marvel being a bit biased? I did hear one of the Netflix Marvel shows is going to be Jessica Jones... So that should be something. Sadly Marvel just doesn't have as many popular solo women acts that can carry a series. Most of the cool ones are part of teams.

If they stopped making shows that felt like other shows they'd just stop making them. It'll all be about the quality of the casting and the writing. And I'm excited about the one bit of casting we know for sure - Hayley Atwell. I think she'll bring a lot to the lead role. Of course, it seems like Howard Stark will be popping up at least as reoccuring. So that's exciting for me, too. The appeal of the 40s-style sci-fi that could be involved is really exciting to me, too, from a visual standpoint. Also, if they do it right, there's a LOT of fun to be had with the setting. It could make a huge difference to the plot and could make it VERY different than other spy shows that rely on modern technology like cell phones, sattelites, GPS, facial recognition, etc, etc, to tell their stories.
    Honestly, I DO prefer shows that 'feel like' other shows rather than reboots. I heard they were going to reboot Charmed... and Murder she Wrote... Which... just boggles my mind. As far as I'm concerned Murder she wrote is a novelist who keeps getting involved with solving murders... it HAS been remade. Its called Castle and is still somewhat original.

I guess I just don't care for the 'feels just like' being in the same universe. I'd like a few degrees of separation between Peggy and Natasha. Sexy SHIELD agent kicking butt and taking names is kind of done. Its like having a captian America series on at the same time as a USagent series.... I don't know. Just personal preference I guess.

I LIKE the idea of period piece. It could be a lot of fun to see some of the new/old tech and really have a lot of classic James Bond feel with secret gadgets and such. My biggest problem is the prequel aspect.

We already know [spoiler] Hydra infiltrates SHIELD from the beginning. I predict a lot of little easter eggs and hints and clues... and its really gonna make them look incompetent, because WE already KNOW how it all ends up....[/spoilers]

It is the problem with prequels. It's why I hate the Star Wars prequels so much. And I utterly DESPISE the Clone war focus. We already KNOW how it ALLLLLLL turns out, We know who lived, we know who died... lets get on to some NEW stuff....

Now as a mini series or something would be fun, I'm just not sure how long it could stay interesting.

Regardless I'll be right there watching

I think the problem is describing it as a 'female-led' show. If it was just described as a 'kick-butt spy show set in the 40's, I wouldn't have said anything. The fact that the lead is a female shouldn't be important at all. Who leads a show should be based entirely on what is best for the show
    Of course it's important! LOL. The point, from what I've read, is that ABC sees this as aligning well with their female-driven (and heavily female-appealing) shows like Revenge or Scandal. It's good news for Marvel as it can show (well, hopefully) the diversity of its universe as to the type of stories and shows it can successfully produce. It's a way to introduce the Marvel universe to an even wider audience, maybe with a demo that doesn't always embrace super heroics.

But, the truth is we know so little about the show—it's tones or its themes. So its hard to say what it will be like. There's just a lot of speculation.

I guess I just don't care for the 'feels just like' being in the same universe. I'd like a few degrees of separation between Peggy and Natasha. Sexy SHIELD agent kicking butt and taking names is kind of done. Its like having a captian America series on at the same time as a USagent series.... I don't know. Just personal preference I guess.

I LIKE the idea of period piece. It could be a lot of fun to see some of the new/old tech and really have a lot of classic James Bond feel with secret gadgets and such. My biggest problem is the prequel aspect.
    I think the fact that it is a period piece is largely what will make the difference between Carter and Widow. In the current era, to a large degree sexual inequality has greatly diminished. (Yes, I know it still exists, but society has come a long ways from the mid-40s.) It's not a big deal for one of the top SHIELD agents (or several) to be butt-kicking females. However, Agent Carter is going to have to deal with a lot of sexism. This was already shown in the way that she was treated in her One Shot. But she'll rise above it and show her superiority. So that will definitely be a big difference between Agent Carter and modern-day agents like Hill, Romanoff, and May.

I'm excited!

I loved Atwell in Cap.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by lucas View Post
    I think the fact that it is a period piece is largely what will make the difference between Carter and Widow. In the current era, to a large degree sexual inequality has greatly diminished. (Yes, I know it still exists, but society has come a long ways from the mid-40s.) It's not a big deal for one of the top SHIELD agents (or several) to be butt-kicking females. However, Agent Carter is going to have to deal with a lot of sexism. This was already shown in the way that she was treated in her One Shot. But she'll rise above it and show her superiority. So that will definitely be a big difference between Agent Carter and modern-day agents like Hill, Romanoff, and May.

Oooooohh... good point there.

I think the 'underestimate the girl' storyline is a little played out in modern society, THAT will be pretty fun to watch

I know I read an interview here semi-recently where someone at Marvel (Feige?) said that the idea behind the show was for the end of it being her call to join SHIELD from the end of the one-shot, so it almost sounds like they want this whole thing to be her time before even that.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Heroic Warrior
    Damn I was hoping this would be a show about Sharon Carter I liked her in the 1st Cap, but I'd be much more interested if this was a companion piece to the current Agents of SHIELD and the movies. This show better be absolutely superb as it won't have the rest of the universe to fall back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Galmorzu View Post
    I know I read an interview here semi-recently where someone at Marvel (Feige?) said that the idea behind the show was for the end of it being her call to join SHIELD from the end of the one-shot, so it almost sounds like they want this whole thing to be her time before even that.
    The synopsis, which JonWes included in the original post, makes it sound like this is the case. It has her working with the SSR and not SHIELD, and as a part of that, she also goes on secret missions for Stark.

I personally hope that though it may start there, it'll develop beyond that. I have no idea where they get their data on the dates, but this MCU Timeline actually shows the One Shot having taken place in 1946, which is also when the series is said to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    who cares... she's a hot actress with an accent... hopefully real ;o) isn't that all you need?
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

I hope they keep the one-shot vibe together with the retrofuture/Hydra/Stark Sky Captain style.

I'll give this a shot for sure I can't imagine it will be as bad as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Is she that woman who shoots at the bad guys in the taxi? because i have seen cap several times and i barely remember her. So not sure if i would care to see a show based on her especially after the rubbish that is AoS.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Is she that woman who shoots at the bad guys in the taxi? because i have seen cap several times and i barely remember her. So not sure if i would care to see a show based on her especially after the rubbish that is AoS.
    Seriously? She is the main female character in Captain America, if you've seen it several times and can't remember her obviously Cap didn't make much of an impression on you? She also is the featured character in the short on the Iron Man 3 Blu Ray "Marvel One Shot: Agent Carter".

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Seriously? She is the main female character in Captain America, if you've seen it several times and can't remember her obviously Cap didn't make much of an impression on you? She also is the featured character in the short on the Iron Man 3 Blu Ray "Marvel One Shot: Agent Carter".
    Actually it didn't. By watched I mean it has been on the tv in the background several times with me glancing up every so often going "is that still on?"

Never seen Iron Man 3, never want to see it.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I somehow missed this. It's been confirmed (as long rumored) that Agent Carter will not only be a 13-episode series, but it will run in-between the Fall and Spring funs of Agents of SHIELD. I like these ideas greatly.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/...idseason-break

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Actually it didn't. By watched I mean it has been on the tv in the background several times with me glancing up every so often going "is that still on?"

Never seen Iron Man 3, never want to see it.
    Sounds like this isn't a show for you then?