Page 5 of 86 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Official ThunderCats 2011 Toys Discussion Thread

The muted colors leave me cold. I'll be interested in seeing what the classic line looks like. I'm sure the new cartoon will be great, though, at least story-wise and pacing-wise. The classic cartoon is paced so slowly, I fall asleep watching it.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    The muted colors leave me cold.
    Curious- what do you mean by muted colors? In the old series, Lion-o, Panthro, and Tygra all had the same/similarity muted colored blue clothing (Sky blue, grey blue, and dark blue). The color changes to Tygra (Dark green) and Panthro (Dark Red and Black) make the team more colorfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I'll wait until I see the cartoon before passing judgement(or at least better pics), but I'm not loving what I see(but it also doesn't have me shaking my fists to the heavens either). Cheetara reminds me of Daryl Hannah in Blade Runner...

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsH/7393-1925.gif
    The first thing I thought of when I saw Cheetara was Dakota Fanning from the Twilight movies.

Now that I'm searching for an image, she didn't have as much eye make-up as I remember. Oh well, I didn't watch any of those movies past the first one and probably never will.

The first thing I thought of on Panthro was Borgoff Marcus from Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust or from Demon Deathchase if you prefer the books and manga.

He does bear a striking resemblance to me.

So Tygra has a gun and a whip? I certainly don't like it. My facetious question: is he still going to be an architect or an archeologist?

A big fan of Slush Head
    I'm trying to like the new designs but I can't! I hate the anime look!
    Lion-O has become a generic anime character.

Take a look:

http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think I know why the Tcat 2011 designs haven't wowed me like the 200X designs did.

I think it's because the 200X designs mostly added lots of McFarlane-esque detail to the original 80's designs, instead of outright giving characters new costumes. The TCats 2011 designs are even more radically different, while they retain somewhat familiar elements. Keep in mind that I don't hate the new looks at all.
    It probably helped that the people designing MOTU 200x came from McFarlane
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Curious- what do you mean by muted colors? In the old series, Lion-o, Panthro, and Tygra all had the same/similarity muted colored blue clothing (Sky blue, grey blue, and dark blue). The color changes to Tygra (Dark green) and Panthro (Dark Red and Black) make the team more colorfully.
    The tones are dulled down. Yes, there is blue and green and "red," but they're all grayed and dulled down compared to the old version, which had truer tones.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    The tones are dulled down. Yes, there is blue and green and "red," but they're all grayed and dulled down compared to the old version, which had truer tones.
    I disagree- none of the new colors are greyed- they are bright and vibrant. some are "dark". Go back to the original series- all the original colors are muted there. Except for Lion-o hair, Tygra's skin, Willykit and Kat's hair- none of the original Thundercat colors were bright or vibrant. Well, Snarf was. (sorry, I don't have time to post a comparison shot)

I like the brighter Cheetra and Tygra skin. Panthro- I hope they keep the blue skin and don't flop between Blue- to grey between every episode.

Why do people dislike anime this much??
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    What about Teela, Sorceress, king Randor, queen Marlena, Battle-Cat...?
    Which is why I said mostly.

In Teela's case, she was still recognizable as Teela. She even had pretty much the same costume (only with more detail. In MYP, she had the teal accents). The only real new change to her person was her age.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I'm trying to like the new designs but I can't! I hate the anime look! Lion-O has become a generic anime character.
    Lion-O kinda reminds me of Rey from Breath of Fire 3.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; January 26, 2011 at 11:20am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    HATERS GONNA HATE!

I'm ecstatic about this brand. More so than MOTU as there is no toon fueling the mythos and the bios sure don't cut it.

I think the "anime" updates are amazing. They give new vibrance to outdated designs without drastically deviating from the source. They even managed to keep Cheetara hot! And I actually dig that this Panthro is the panther version of Jet from Cowboy Beebop.

I too was worried when I heard that Bandai had the toy license. I should have remembered that despite my dislike for the later Ben10 series, they do manage to produce vehicles, playsets and roll play toys for that show.

Well, with all that kick-ass merchandise I might as well sign over my paycheck to Bandai.

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    because 99.9% is pure generic garbage which has interchange characters who must catch all insert animals/cards/elements
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
    because 99.9% is pure generic garbage which has interchange characters who must catch all insert animals/cards/elements
    As much as I respect you're opinion, I just have to disagree on it T_U_E. Anime is far more than that. 10 years back I would've said the same thing but What you say used to be the case back till the 90's but I think it has evolved immensely since then. Loving the designs & I won't reserve judgment until I see the series.

I think the designs are fantastic. Sure there are color changes but I'm sure everyone expected changes were coming.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
    Just like any form of entertainment all that is just the trend/fad. Also what is popular in Japan isn't necessarily popular elsewhere. A lot of the more sitcommy and romantic comedy type anime tend to not be as popular outside of Japan.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Pearl Harbor

In all seriousness, it's just because its style and storytelling are quite different from traditional American animation for the most part. Some people don't like it because they didn't grow up with it while others just don't like its style. I do like some anime, but, unlike a lot of anime & manga fans, it will never be my first choice for animation or comics.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

A big fan of Slush Head
    God I hope the cartoon blows us away! I really hope so.
    Maybe these designs won't look so bad once animated. Maybe I'm being too old school. I'm gonna give them a chance.

What I am really exited about is for the classic action figures. I'm damn sure picking those up.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Ya know love em or hate em, you can now go into a toys r us, and BUY A SWORD OF OMENS!!! The last time I did that was 25 years ago, its gunna be a trip.

I cant wait to see little kids in Lion-o costumes, it was a mildstone in my life when my mom bought me a crappy ben cooper costume, and i wore it on halloween and everyday after (im still wearing it). So I'll take it for what it is, my cats are back!
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

If this toyline & cartoon bombs(and they are both considered good in terms of quality), maybe it will be proof that the 2002 MOTU era's lack of success wasn't all about how Mattel handled things.

Or it could just mean kids today don't like anthropomorphic cats.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    If this toyline & cartoon bombs(and they are both considered good in terms of quality), maybe it will be proof that the 2002 MOTU era's lack of success wasn't all about how Mattel handled things.
    Im pretty sure if it bombs, it cause of "Smash blade Lion-O".

Bandai over produces, wich is a good AND bad thing. The good news is, you can always find what your looking for within 2 store stops. The bad news is their never ending waves of transforming figures. Ben10, Power Rangers, ETC, all suffer from pegs of endless transforming varients.

The best news is, Bandai is very open to playsets and roleplay! Thundercats toys NEED that just as much a MOTU, wich is a big point MOTUC fails, and I understand they dont want to take the chance, but they know they have a hot property, but the big wigs are careful now.... or just really stupid.

With the way kids are, if we get 2 seasons of Tcats, its a success. Cartoons are a never ending rotating door of card playing/animal capturing stuff now, no true iconic long lasting stuff, wich is why we now reach into the past. But the fact that we have now CLASSIC and NEW is a smart move, the name is back for the old fans to jump onto and dabble in the new stuff if its a hit or miss. Very smart there.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Or it could just mean kids today don't like anthropomorphic cats.
    I doubt it will bomb, its a WB show and CN bends over backwards for that.

200x was solely a issue with how Mattel handled it, for everything from scheduling to toy line rollout it was bad.

Bandai is operating a more Hasbro like model
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post

200x was solely a issue with how Mattel handled it, for everything from scheduling to toy line rollout it was bad.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not even talking about older fans who prefer the original MOTU over the 2002 era. I feel there were many reasons why that cartoon & toyline failed with kids & non-MOTU fans and I don't think Mattel should be blamed for all of it.

JOIN THE GROUP...

A big fan of Slush Head
    Do you think we will see more characters at NYTF?
    I wonder if wilykit and wilykat will be on this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    Do you think we will see more characters at NYTF?
    I wonder if wilykit and wilykat will be on this show.
    I'm more worried about Snarf. We were already told that he wouldn't talk but would say his name(I'm paraphrasing). After looking at how ANIME this version of Thundercats is going to be, all I can picture is...

JOIN THE GROUP...

A big fan of Slush Head
    I'm more worried about Snarf. We were already told that he wouldn't talk but would say his name(I'm paraphrasing). After looking at how ANIME this version of Thundercats is going to be, all I can picture is...

http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~n...es/pikachu.jpg
    In one of the pictures ( I think it was on the Thundertank's box) you can see Snarf.

And he does have huge ears. Or at least it looks like it.

The designs of the other TCs look cool, but not Panthro's. It just doesn't say "Panthro" to me.

Also, does the new Cheetara have her staff? I always thought that was a kickass weapon.

Please tell me Wilykit and Wilykat have been retured as characters and won't appear.
    I want to smurf your smurf.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not even talking about older fans who prefer the original MOTU over the 2002 era. I feel there were many reasons why that cartoon & toyline failed with kids & non-MOTU fans and I don't think Mattel should be blamed for all of it.
    There probably are more reasons but since WB has a big hand in CN's schedule it will get pushed unlike MOTU, and that in itself will help move the product.

Its the same reason Hasbro ditched CN for the most part and started their own network.

MOTU 200x was a big ole epic fail, and it was like dominoes because without proper cartoon scheduling you had no real push for the toys, which were then not ordered by retailers (which is why Snakemen wound up at the Aldi's discount grocery chain and specialty dept stores like ShopKo).

Is it Mattel, is it CN, was it kids? Does not really matter because when one piece failed the whole house came crumbling down on the license