Page 24 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Official ThunderCats 2011 Toys Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Have I completely gotten my wires crossed then??

Why were these at the Four Horsemen stall at SDCC above the Battle Ram and Outer Space men?
    They weren't really part of the 4H's booth but rather the AFX booth. The 4H and AFX shared a booth at SDCC. They were there for AFX since AFX was selling the SDCC exclusive staction.

Quote Originally Posted by TrimmTrabb View Post
    When I interviewed the guys from Icon Heroes at SDCC, I asked them to address the rumors that the 4H were behind the sculpting of those stactions, and the answer I got was a smiling "the sculptors behind the Thundercats stactions are the sculptors behind many of your favorite toylines, but, for certain reasons, wish to remain anonymous".
    So, you might not be too far off.

I point blank asked Cornboy at the Org party at SDCC if they had anything to do with them and he said no. They barely have enough time to do their own stuff like the Scarabus. He said their Mattel schedule was so heavy that they wouldn't have time for anything else.

I'm loving those classic figures!!! I also like what I'm seeing for the new show, not so much interested in the toys, but I realize I'm not the target market for those.

Eamon, I don't see how Thundercats is in anyway a copy of He-Man, other than there both 80's properties that had cartoons, toys, etc. Plus, I always thought the Thundercats cartoon was WAYYYYYY better than the filmation MOTU cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    I'm loving those classic figures!!! I also like what I'm seeing for the new show, not so much interested in the toys, but I realize I'm not the target market for those.

Eamon, I don't see how Thundercats is in anyway a copy of He-Man, other than there both 80's properties that had cartoons, toys, etc. Plus, I always thought the Thundercats cartoon was WAYYYYYY better than the filmation MOTU cartoon.
    Thundercats was released a year after He-man was, but according to files and all that they would have been developed around the same time. Simply put they were developed at the same time, Thundercats got delayed for some reason, making it look like it borrowed from He-man.
    Last edited by wyldman11; March 31, 2011 at 09:06am.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Thundercats was released a year after He-man was, but according to files and all that they would have been developed around the same time. Simply put they were developed at the same time, Thundercats got delayed for some reason, making it look like it borrowed from He-man.
    Thundercats came out nearly three years after MOTU, surely? The first wave of MOTU was 1982. The first wave of T-Cats was 1985. I find it hard to believe that the T-Cats weren't created party in response to the great success of MOTU.

I don't see them as a copy, but I think the format of He-man (the figures, the sword, the combo of tech and fantasy) was a very heavy influence.

What am I talking about here MOTU or Thundercats?

Reckless boy becomes mighty warrior using a magical sword.
    Arch nemises is a decayed form or symbol of death.
    Warrior has mighty chant when sword is held high and made so that kids can imitate.
    Cute sidekick that tends to get into trouble.
    Tough talking weapons expert.
    Tough female lead with a staff.
    When the hero is in trouble, he has a mystical guide that appears to him.
    All the heros are not just buff, but are mega bodybuilding buff.
    There is a very distinctive castle that is shaped with relevance.
    The Bad guys live in an anchient building sorrounded by sharp rocks.
    There is both swords and laser guns.
    Vehicles that serve special purpose.
    Planet with many many races of beings and creatures.
    There's a moral to every story.

I would also say that the Filmation MOTU toon has aged way better than TC. The acting in TC is just terrible and while MOTU didn't have the speed or action of TC, you can see the over all quality is far superior.
    Heck even the Japanese animation cels of Thundercats are not so good when compared to the US made MOTU cels. ie they decay and chip really easily.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I don't see them as a copy, but I think the format of He-man (the figures, the sword, the combo of tech and fantasy) was a very heavy influence.
    You could also say MOTU was a ripoff of Star Wars in that respect. Granted, it was a lightsaber & not a sword and the tech was played up more than the fantasy. Still...

* Young blonde hero with a destiny.
    * Secret twin sister.
    * Scarred enemy who the hero is secretly related to.
    * Mystical advisor who will aid the hero in the form of a spirit.
    * Small comical sidekick(R2D2).
    * Scarred enemy has a powerful mentor who he turns on.
    * Popular catch phrase used by the hero("May the force be with you.")
    * Female lead is a tomboy who can hold her own in a fight.
    * The world is filled with tons of odd looking creatures & races.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

We are talking toys to toons here!
    We start comparing MOTU to other things besides toys or cartoons, we would be here all day.
    www.eamonart.com

Warrior has mighty chant when sword is held high and made so that kids can imitate.

I would also say that the Filmation MOTU toon has aged way better than TC. The acting in TC is just terrible and while MOTU didn't have the speed or action of TC, you can see the over all quality is far superior.
    Heck even the Japanese animation cels of Thundercats are not so good when compared to the US made MOTU cels. ie they decay and chip really easily.
    and due to this clear and undeniable influence, I hope tcats be a success, it will be important for motu.
    I hope if tcats works well CN o another channel will repeat 200x series. it's like a new series for the kids .

Have I completely gotten my wires crossed then??

Why were these at the Four Horsemen stall at SDCC above the Battle Ram and Outer Space men?

Happy to be corrected here as I have been tweeting about how much I prefer these 4HM Thundercats!
    ]
    I mean no offense, but I think it's obvious these aren't horsemen work. the quality is lacking enough to know it's someone else. it's still good but it lacks that polish that the horsemen put into their work. I thought it would be much easier for an artist to see what's missing than a layperson. there is a style unique to the horsemen that's missing here, not just quality (though these are well done) it's just missing that 'feel' looks like an imitation of their work more than anything.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Thundercats came out nearly three years after MOTU, surely? The first wave of MOTU was 1982. The first wave of T-Cats was 1985. I find it hard to believe that the T-Cats weren't created party in response to the great success of MOTU.

Sorry three years later, a few years back I read some official information. That basically Thundercats was in conceptual form before Masters of the Universe was released. There was some documentation, and references that backed it up.

The shows release though according to that information was in part because of Masters of Universe. The property was in kind of pseudo limbo, while He-man was being putt out. Back then it took three to five years from original creation till a property could see the light of day.

Simply put, He-man pushed Thundercats along because it came out first but conceptually they were developed independently. I also used to think much like others here, till I read the article. And properties take longer to design, even today the same is true. How long and how many variations did Thundercats go through before we got this pretty much final product?

If I can find article in question I will post it.
    Last edited by wyldman11; March 31, 2011 at 06:15pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar

Of course, the similarities end there since Thundercats has WAY BETTER action scenes than the Filmation MOTU ever did. I don't think I ever saw anyone on Thundercats use the same running animation ever.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Of course, the similarities end there since Thundercats has WAY BETTER action scenes than the Filmation MOTU ever did. I don't think I ever saw anyone on Thundercats use the same running animation ever.
    Cannot disagree there but then it is easier to do better action scenes when you do not care about drawing correct anatomy.
    www.eamonart.com

Cannot disagree there but then it is easier to do better action scenes when you do not care about drawing correct anatomy.
    and when you outsource your animation for cheaper overseas labour. a LOT of the limitations filmation suffered from was due to the policies of Lou Scheimer, which I argue that if he hadn't had in place we wouldn't have gotten a LOT of great talents in the industry. So it's a trade off, I would have loved for MOTU to have more dynamic animation and action scenes, but it could have suffered for it as well as could have the entire animation industry.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I remember watching TC when I was a kid and wishing that MOTU had the stones to do some actual action but when you compare them now with an older mind, the quality of Filmation shines through I think.
    www.eamonart.com

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Sorry, I love both MOTU and ThunderCats, but the arugment that ThunderCats is a dead copycat of MOTU is so much BS. I respect Eamon's opinion, but every single ThunderCats thread gets hijacked with him talking about how badly animated the show is and how ThunderCats is nothing compared to MOTU.

Yes, I have a slight bias for ThunderCats, as I'm sure Eamon has for MOTU, but come on!!!

You can argue that MOTU and ThunderCats borrow elements from other properties (MOTU = Conan, ThunderCats = Star Wars/Superman), but aside from the marketing aspect (cartoon = toy promo), I really don't think MOTU has any HEAVY influence on ThunderCats, story/plot wise.

I'm a fan of Eamon on Roast Gooble Dinner because I do agree with a lot of his opinions on MOTU (like Cringer not talking), but every time he brings up ThunderCats and brings up the fact that it is a copycat of MOTU, I have to turn off the podcast. It just upsets me so much...and I don't get upset very often over this type of stuff! Just soooo annoying!!!

EDITED:

To bring the thread BACK on topic...

Clancy Brown confirmed to be the voice of Grune, while Robin Atkins-Downes will be the voice of Mumm-Ra!

HD Trailer shown at WonderCon can be viewed on CN's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/CartoonNetwork

Very impressed.
    Last edited by hemanrep; April 3, 2011 at 07:01pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

is that movie count dooku, christopher lee, as jaga/announcer?
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

That trailer gives off a very epic vibe. Some lovely animation right there. Can’t wait.

i love this new trailer ,it's very epic but is it about tcats or motu?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    Sorry, I love both MOTU and ThunderCats, but the arugment that ThunderCats is a dead copycat of MOTU is so much BS. I respect Eamon's opinion, but every single ThunderCats thread gets hijacked with him talking about how badly animated the show is and how ThunderCats is nothing compared to MOTU.

Yes, I have a slight bias for ThunderCats, as I'm sure Eamon has for MOTU, but come on!!!

You can argue that MOTU and ThunderCats borrow elements from other properties (MOTU = Conan, ThunderCats = Star Wars/Superman), but aside from the marketing aspect (cartoon = toy promo), I really don't think MOTU has any HEAVY influence on ThunderCats, story/plot wise.

I'm a fan of Eamon on Roast Gooble Dinner because I do agree with a lot of his opinions on MOTU (like Cringer not talking), but every time he brings up ThunderCats and brings up the fact that it is a copycat of MOTU, I have to turn off the podcast. It just upsets me so much...and I don't get upset very often over this type of stuff! Just soooo annoying!!!

EDITED:

To bring the thread BACK on topic...

Clancy Brown confirmed to be the voice of Grune, while Robin Atkins-Downes will be the voice of Mumm-Ra!

HD Trailer shown at WonderCon can be viewed on CN's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/CartoonNetwork

Very impressed.
    That is one nice clip

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    i love this new trailer ,it's very epic but is it about tcats or motu?
    Or Lord of the Rings? Sorry, it doesn't remind me at ALL like MOTU, 80s or 200X.

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    Or Lord of the Rings? Sorry, it doesn't remind me at ALL like MOTU, 80s or 200X.
    it's very similar to 200x in mi opinion but i love it.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    it's very similar to 200x in mi opinion but i love it.
    Okay, I'll give you 200X...a little bit.

I'll definitely give the toon a chance but it's really reminding me of MYP's MOTU. Take a popular franchise, squish all the fun out of it, take the already goofy premise way too seriously, and add in some bland animation. At least the voice acting seemed OK.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

some comparisons motu 200x vs. tcats 2011

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I'll definitely give the toon a chance but it's really reminding me of MYP's MOTU. Take a popular franchise, squish all the fun out of it, take the already goofy premise way too seriously, and add in some bland animation. At least the voice acting seemed OK.
    Them's fightin' words!

I think the direction of ThunderCats 2011 just proves that 200X and MYP were good ideas! Take great old characters, get rid of the hokiness and improve upon the designs. The problem was how Mattel failed to market it, case ratios and Cartoon Network--the concept itself was a pretty sound idea.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr