Page 7 of 86 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Official ThunderCats 2011 Toys Discussion Thread

I have mixed feelings about this. Pantrho looks horrible. What's up with the sideburns/partial hair? I'm surprised at how overly sexualized Cheetara is and Lion-o lost his manliness. However the art does look decent. I'm just not to keen on the redesigns. They should have kept them more simple.

I will have to watch the show and see the actual figures to pass full judgement. I hope that Wilykit and Wilykat are included in the show. Can't wait to see the mutants and Mumm-Ra.

Evil Vixen/Heroic Chef Starshine's Avatar
    I'm just curious if Panthro will be flocked or not
    ".....We wouldn't think of putting something on the screen - whether for theatres, television, or home video - without building in pro-social values..."

- Lou Scheimer (1984)

This is what its all about, folks.

As I said earlier in this thread, I don't mind the new designs. Yes we all know and want the iconic versions but this is not for us, it is for a new demographic. I am sure there has been countless focus groups gone into finding what kids want to see. I just hope the writing contains certain elements for us adults. I also hope they tell an overarching story and not just stand alone episodes.

After reading that the idea for the Classic line is to follow what MOTUC is has got me somewhat excited. I will be keeping a close eye on future pictures and eventual reviews. I just can't help but being slightly disappointed that the Modern deluxe figures are going to be out of scale with Classic deluxe figures.

My son has been watching the old Thundercats show so I am sure he will want to watch this new one, which means he will want the toys aswell. This means I will probably be buying all 3 scales of the Bandai toys even though I don't like the "Ben10" look of the toys already shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    By this reasoning, if a store is open to the public, and some of the public are shoplifters, then the store is open to shoplifting.

By this reasoning, since thieves do not obey the law, then there should be no prohibition against stealing.

By this reasoning, if one shoplifts merchandise from a store, and identifies the store to others as a business where the merchandise is sold, then he is promoting the business, and the store owner should be thankful.

It may not seem fair to you, but Warner Bros. has the right to control how its property is displayed, reproduced, and distributed.
    You forgot to add this little anecdote. They are just toys, so logically, no one should actually give a crap if kids/nerds see them early or not.

Any promotion is promotion, and Inernet leakage is free promotion.

Free promotion makes for good financial logic. Logically.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 27, 2011 at 01:56am.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    You forgot to add this little anecdote. They are just toys, so logically, no one should actually give a crap if kids/nerds see them early or not.

Any promotion is promotion, and Inernet leakage is free promotion.

Free promotion makes for good financial logic. Logically.
    I agree.

The guy didn't break the law. Our site didn't break the law. And we would have no problem removing the images if Bandai or WB had a problem with it.

I understand that there were signs that said no photos allowed, but then again, the signs probably should've have said no cell phones allowed.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    They'd argue that entertainment for one brand would be enough. Like the RGD crew said that Transformers have multiple lines out there, but Toyguru said that the entertainment for ONE of them made it possible.

ThunderCats Classics is only do-able since they have the new entertainment as the main focus.

If anything, this is the way to do it, rather than get rid your classics lines temporarily in favor of all movie stuff. I'm looking at you, Hasbro!
    They should do some comics already then. Then by their wacky justification they could have two lines and potentially double the profits.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Heroic Warrior
    I think Lion-o's sword looks great!

Really interesting but I would like to see abit better pics of close when they are allowed to determine if I jump into this line or not.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    I agree.

The guy didn't break the law. Our site didn't break the law. And we would have no problem removing the images if Bandai or WB had a problem with it.

I understand that there were signs that said no photos allowed, but then again, the signs probably should've have said no cell phones allowed.

Just saying.
    At worst the guy went against the wishes of the company displaying the toys. there wasn't a law against taking pictures at the event. The "for expecting mothers" parking spots at malls (here in Canada at least) are a matter of courtesy there isn't a bylaw against anyone else parking there. you can't get a ticket for doing so it's just frowned upon, handicapped parking on the other hand comes with a ticket because it's a law on the books.

Panthro seems to have stolen Roadblock's new design from "GI Joe Renegades." (as Mr. Shotoki previously pointed out) I wouldn't be surprised if they use Kevin Michael Richardson for his voice as well. (I love me some KMR but he doesn't have to voice EVERY big black guy there is I know Panthro is blue but we black folks always saw Panthro as the brotha of the series)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Panthro seems to have stolen Roadblock's new design from "GI Joe Renegades." (as Mr. Shotoki previously pointed out) I wouldn't be surprised if they use Kevin Michael Richardson for his voice as well. (I love me some KMR but he doesn't have to voice EVERY big black guy there is I know Panthro is blue but we black folks always saw Panthro as the brotha of the series)
    I'm still going to miss Earle Hyman. Besides being my favorite member of the Huxtable clan not named Heathcliff, he MADE Panthro cool. Even though Thundercats came after MOTU & G.I. Joe for me, Panthro was one of my favorite characters as a kid.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-bad View Post
    As much as I respect you're opinion, I just have to disagree on it T_U_E. Anime is far more than that. 10 years back I would've said the same thing but What you say used to be the case back till the 90's but I think it has evolved immensely since then. Loving the designs & I won't reserve judgment until I see the series.

I think the designs are fantastic. Sure there are color changes but I'm sure everyone expected changes were coming.
    you misunderstand me, sadly anime true to its roots with the likes of guyver, street fighter akira is no where near the crap that is classed as anime today

yes what you say is true it has changed but mainstream anime is still seen as the dubbed latest cash in they import. you ask jo average in the street what anime is and 99% will point to nickelodeon and toonami, which when you look at the point i put forward it stands
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Widget
    I am truly underwhelmed by the animation look. Maybe I am too old to really get how those designs are cool. ( I don't want to bash anyone who likes them, as art is a personal thing, and if it rocks for you - that's great.) It kills me that the OLD Snarf looks tougher than the NEW Lion-O.

The toys do look better than the cartoon though.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I am anxious to see these guys up close!

Overall, I think I'm ok with the redesigns. I like the idea of the 4" figures because we're getting vehicles and playsets out of it. And the thought of an 8" colelctor's line is enticing. I can't wait to see what they look like!

And most of all, the Sword of Omens looks great! This is something that this new Thudnercats toon is getting right that 200x MOTU got wrong: Keeping the classic design of your most iconic and important item. Very happy to see this...and I'll certainly be buying that sword!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    By this reasoning, if a store is open to the public, and some of the public are shoplifters, then the store is open to shoplifting.
    Taking pics isn't stealing! Making off with the prototypes would be stealing!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Taking pics isn't stealing! Making off with the prototypes would be stealing!!
    Indeed.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I'm still going to miss Earle Hyman. Besides being my favorite member of the Huxtable clan not named Heathcliff, he MADE Panthro cool. Even though Thundercats came after MOTU & G.I. Joe for me, Panthro was one of my favorite characters as a kid.
    Have you ckecked out our interview with Earle Hyman over at ThunderCatsLair.org?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    From a response on the TCats forum:

The New York International Toy Fair is still a month away, but right now, across the water, there is plastic EVERYWHERE!!! Bandai has been showing off their Thundercats cartoon and classic action figures, and even though the room is riddled with NO PHOTOGRAPHY signs, some muppet went ahead and took crappy camera phone pictures anyway. Since we usually have a friend at the show reporting back to us on everything he saw, we don't feel guilty in describing what is shown in as great detail as is humanly possible...and with crappy camera phone pics omitted.

The core line for the new cartoon is clearly in a 3 and 3 quarter scale, matching what most other companies are releasing right now (so sad.) At the very least we'll be getting a little scale with the figures as Panthro towers over his team mates who all come up to his chest. We've also gotten word that the figures are fairly well articulated for their size and are packed with details that are sculpted rather than just painted on. Lion-O, Cheetara, Panthro and Tygra were shown. The boards on the wall also mention that Mumm-Ra is in the new show. Make a note that the look of the new show, while true to the original designs and instantly recognisable as their classic counterparts, is a little more Anime that you're accustomed to, with Lion-O looking more like a teenager and Panthro now HUGE and bearing the scars of battle.

All hope is not lost as we've heard there are also deluxe versions on the way in a 5-6 inch scale. It makes more sense that these would be 6 inch, as 5 puts them too close to the 3 and 3 quarter figures they'll be releasing by the ton. While I grumble about the tiny scale, with small figures often comes vehicles and playsets and Bandai is on board with this thinking. The deluxe playset is a sort of tower rather than the classic Cat's Lair. The deluxe vehicle is the Thunder Tank and it includes one figure...SNARF!! I'm betting you can thank Amanda Burns for that addition. There is also a light cycle looking Thunder Bike that comes with Lion-O. We hear the bike actually fits inside the Thunder Tank. Looks like Batman has some competition. All figures are said to "link up" with the vehicles and playsets, probably to activate action features, sounds and lights that may be included. This is cleverly called "Thunder Lynx"! I applaud the dorkiness.

As for the classic cartoon, an 8 inch Collector line of action figures is on the way. The design is said to be loyal to the original show and the figure itself will remind you of Mattel's Masters of the Universe Classics line, where they maintain the look and feel of the original characters but update articulation and toy design for a sturdier, more modern action figure. This line starts with Lion-O, natch'. Why 8 inches, you may ask? This puts them in scale with the classic line, but sadly, out of scale with most everything else you own. Celebration time for TCats fans for sure, and tears for others...as that is the way of toy collecting.
    Thanks.

3 3/4, 5/6 & 8.

wow. 3 different sizes at once. that's wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
    I'm just curious if Panthro will be flocked or not
    A poll was taken and a slight majority voted for no flock.
    Last edited by midor; January 27, 2011 at 07:54pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Thanks.

3 3/4, 5/6 & 8.

wow. 3 different sizes at once. that's wild
    That is standard practice for Bandai, they have done that I think for the last 5 years on their lines
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Have you ckecked out our interview with Earle Hyman over at ThunderCatsLair.org?
    I check your site almost daily so it might have been added before I became a regular visitor. I'll check it out.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    That is standard practice for Bandai, they have done that I think for the last 5 years on their lines

Thanks my Iowa brother.

Really? That just goes to show you how well I follow their products.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Thanks my Iowa brother.

Really? That just goes to show you how well I follow their products.
    Well unless you are into Power Rangers or shows on Cartoon Network you probably won't have ever looked at their offerings.

I am guessing they just want to make sure their bases are all covered. Disney now also follows the same kind of lineup when they release toys.

It is one of the reasons I was excited when they got the toy line, with all the complaints about their sculpts I knew we would at least get a bunch of kick ass playsets and a range of products.

If Thundercats bombs and the toys fail it certainly won't be for lack of trying
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Its really too bad the "Classics" series will be out of scale with MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Its really too bad the "Classics" series will be out of scale with MOTUC.
    The original figures were 8 inches, so if these new figures are the same size then the scale will actually be pretty close to MOTUC. The vintage Lion-O is just a bit taller than Classics He-Man, while vintage Cheetara is slightly shorter than Classics Teela.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    The original figures were 8 inches, so if these new figures are the same size then the scale will actually be pretty close to MOTUC. The vintage Lion-O is just a bit taller than Classics He-Man, while vintage Cheetara is slightly shorter than Classics Teela.
    The MOTUCs measure in at just under 7". If any of the Thundercats are 8", they'll be a full head taller.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing, the Thundercats classics are actually more in line with their vintage than MOTUC is with theirs.