Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No action features, so why compromise the sculpt?

No action features, so why compromise the sculpt?

I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but after watching Pixel Dan's reviews and Toyfair footage, I have to ask this question:

"Why have dials and such on the figure if they aren't going to function?"

When the line was first started, one of the comments made was that there would be no action features that worked from a button or dial.

We now have two figures (Sy-Klone & Optikk) that both don't have an action feature, yet the dial is sculpted onto the figure. This makes no sense to me. If the action feature is not going to be there and the dial isn't going to work, then why have it there? Wouldn't these figures look better without the "fake dial"?
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

They are an homage...nothing more. Similar to the belly button on the packaging...

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I thought the same thing when I watched the video, Lookie. I wasn't a fan of it on Optikk, and when I saw it on Sy-Klone in the video I thought "Oh, great. Another fake dial."

I mean...since they don't have the action feature, it just looks silly and "ruins" the sculpt. It would be like sculpting a lever coming out of Clawful's claw. It's much worse than having flocking cover a sculpt (which the 4H were against).

I'm also not a fan of the extra handle on swords and other accessories (like Tri-Klops' sword and the Cosmic Key). I'm just extremely thankful the Power Sword and Sword of Protection didn't get that treatment!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Terry75 View Post
    They are an homage...nothing more. Similar to the belly button on the packaging...
    This exactly. I have no issue with sculpted homages. It takes nothing away from the sculpt anyway.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    While I am GLAD Syklone does not spin... (honestly he NEVER spun fast enough to simulate what he was supposed to be simulating...) it WOULD have been an easy add without loosing the ab crunch...

The arguement has always been that they don't want to compromise the sculpt... then we get that ANYWAY...

I for get VERY confused over that kind of actions...

If I have a dial on the belt... "I" want it to spin...

Eh. It's a neat little nod to the original feature. I like homages like that. Besides, it kinda fits in with all the junk on Optikk anyway. As for Sy-Klone...are you really gona notice it that much?
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

i thought syklone does have an ab crunch

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    i thought syklone does have an ab crunch
    He does. 1592 was saying that he could have had an ab cruch *and* spinny-thingy.

Didn't TG admit in PD's video that it was a budget thing rather than creative decision not to have a mechanical spinny-thingy?

Heroic Warrior
    God, I remember how my thumbs were sore for days after getting Sy-klone way back when.

That jagged dial is a painful reminder of how much we love toys. And love always hurts in one way or another.
    Last edited by Colder Soldier; February 21, 2011 at 12:31am.

I have no problem with this.. but like the guys have said in a previous Roast Gooble episode.. that some figures action features MADE the figures.. so they should include them in this line.. like Roboto.. Battle Armor He-Man's figure was just fine with the interchangeable battle damage.. but as for Roboto.. I wouldn't have bought him if his was just painted on.. and I think a lot of other people wouldn't have bought him as well.

then again.. I'm kinda upset about Sy-Klone not having his action feature.. he was one of my favorite figures when I was a kid

Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    God, I remember how my thumbs were sore for days after getting Sy-klone way back when.
    Most of the time I would spin him by his head.

While it's not a massive issue, I agree that the dial looks stupid and should have been left off. One of the benefits of not having action features is that we don't have to compromise the sculpt. It's (hopefully) going to be a good thing when we don't get suction-cup-face Leech.

Heroic Warrior
    Its simply for nostalgia. You see it and you're like 'ZOMG! The original had this too and it use to...', then your whole childhood flashes before your eyes and you realize you never should of dated that sheila who looked like Evil Lyn...

Useless dial is USELESS! Things like these worry me. (Fear of Vintage toy Kobra Khan and Leech heads)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry75 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    This exactly. I have no issue with sculpted homages. It takes nothing away from the sculpt anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post

That jagged dial is a painful reminder of how much we love toys. And love always hurts in one way or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by JorReno View Post
    Its simply for nostalgia. You see it and you're like 'ZOMG! The original had this too and it use to...'
    All this is why I love this line! Some of us see these 'Homages' and remember what we loved as children.......and we appreciate what we have as adults!

Its true magic,keep it comin 4H!

ka
    Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

I don't find the dials on Optikk or Sy-klone noticable, it's just another part of their armour. As for the extra peice on the sword handles like on Triclops sword, they can easily be cut off.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Things like these worry me. (Fear of Vintage toy Kobra Khan and Leech heads)

Oh man I hope they don't make them look like the vintage figure heads

With the "nostalgia" angle that people have been stating, then would you want a button on Mosquitor's back that doesn't do anything or a panel on Leech's back that doesn't do anything? It's the same as the dials on Sy-Klone & Optikk. I really am curious if people want all the old things back just for "nostalgia".
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Heroic Warrior
    Folks seem to have forgotten that none of the Classics have the vintage gimmick - the sprung waist that almost all vintage figures had. We haven't had any moans about that, so the odd fake dial doesn't seem like a big deal to me. This line is about the Four Horsemen's interpretation of the characters for collectors; they're not action toys for kids.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

I think it's cool. I love the dials. And since "IN character" they wouldnt be dials anyway, they were always just kinda cool armour details to me, and I'm glad they still have them.

I would find Mosquitor's back botton to out of place as it's quite big and conspicuous but the small dials on Sy-klone and Optikk are hardley noticable and just look like detailing in the armour to me.

I would hate for Leech and Kobra Khan to have their 80s heads!

They're on there so people can nit pick about it.

I like these little homages to the days of yore!

And like VictoryLiger said...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

Asking questions isn't nitpicking. Obviously, you aren't grasping the concept of the forum. It's to discuss and comment. Yours lends nothing to the conversation.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    The useless dials are dumb. I don't want non-functioning dials & buttons on these figures. An homage? Who cares. We know what the origiinal figure looked like, we don't need the silly homage.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    Asking questions isn't nitpicking. Obviously, you aren't grasping the concept of the forum. It's to discuss and comment. Yours lends nothing to the conversation.
    ...I thought his comment was funny... Quite frankly, discussing the nitpicking (not necessarily a bad thing, nitpicking) itself is part of the fun of being a fan. Some people like certain things, some people don't. As long as we're all respectful, there shouldn't be a problem.

On topic a bit more, can anyone post a pic of Mosquitor's button? I never had him as a kiddo.

I like the idea of adding these as bits of detail on the armor. This line rides on nostalgi a lot, really, and these little touches take nothing away from the toys in my opinion.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!