Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What should the heroic warriors be called?

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar

What should the heroic warriors be called?

Time and time again I see people on this board, as well as hear the guys on the Roast Gooble podcast, mention that they don't like He-Man and his companions being called the "Masters of the Universe". Well, my question then is, what should they be called?

a Muppet of a man...
    Heroic warriors works well for what we should call them.

For what they call themselves, I don't think of the as a tight enough team to really have a team name. They're not the Avengers or anything.

Losers.

Guardians of Grayskull, Protectors of the Free Peoples of Eternia.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotward View Post
    Heroic warriors works well for what we should call them.

For what they call themselves, I don't think of the as a tight enough team to really have a team name. They're not the Avengers or anything.
    Really? I consider them to be quite a tight-knit team, very much like the Avengers in fact. This was less evident in the Filmation series, but it was definitely there in the MYP.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Morningway View Post
    What should the heroic warriors be called?
    Suckers...Tools...Enablers...Bastions of Co-Dependency. I don't know. A lot of names come to mind...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I don't want them to have a team name at all. They may be a group of good guys all on the same side, but they're not really a team like the X-Men or Justice League are. I see them as friends who occasionally team up, but they don't go on missions together all the time.

Heroic Warriors is a good way of describing them, but they wouldn't go around calling themselves that.

a Muppet of a man...
    Yeah, that's there more in MYP, but it still doesn't seem quite the same to me.
    Buzz Off and Stratos have their own societies to lead, Moss Man certainly seemed to have other things to do. It just seems more like friendly co-operation than an organized team. Maybe that's just a case of me seeing what I want to see
    And I guess maybe the Avengers was a dumb thing to compare them to, because the Avengers all have their own stuff to deal with outside the team too.

Really? I consider them to be quite a tight-knit team, very much like the Avengers in fact. This was less evident in the Filmation series, but it was definitely there in the MYP.

This is intriguing. Why is it that so many people don't see the Heroic Warriors as a team? They train together. Fight together. In MYP they even live together, as well as go on missions together. That, to me at least, says that they are a team.

On a personal note, I have always considered them a team, much like Skeletors Evil Warriors, the Snake Men, as well as the Horde.

Heroic Warriors works for me.

Heroic Warrior
    E.I. Joe... I mean they all have their own specialty, and while they aren't "government issue" they are "Eternian issue". They come from various different "branches" of "military".

Ok, maybe not.

But I think Masters works. I don't know if they ever used the full name of "Masters of the Universe" in MYP (sorry, it's been a while, and the memory is hazy) but Masters makes sense, as they are each masters of a certain talent/power/technique/discipline. Not just any member of their various races or factions have been called to serve; only those who are masterful in what they do. So I would call them "The Masters"... and they are a loose knit team. They don't have formal organizational meetings (love those old Avengers meetings!), but they also answer when called upon.

The Defenders of Eternia works for me. They were actually called that name a couple of times in MYP, and I think it sounds a lot better.

Well, as they're all grown up now (like us), they should be:

Misters of the Universe!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    But I think Masters works. I don't know if they ever used the full name of "Masters of the Universe" in MYP (sorry, it's been a while, and the memory is hazy) but Masters makes sense, as they are each masters of a certain talent/power/technique/discipline. Not just any member of their various races or factions have been called to serve; only those who are masterful in what they do. So I would call them "The Masters"... and they are a loose knit team. They don't have formal organizational meetings (love those old Avengers meetings!), but they also answer when called upon.
    This is kind of the way that I've viewed it as well; although I could have sworn I've seen them meeting around a table at some point in the MYP show, or perhaps the comic.

I do know that at least one time Man-at-Arms did say, "You are all indeed, Masters of the Universe". I'm not sure if they ever stated that again, but certainly once. I do remember several times someone, either Skeletor or Man-at-Arms calling them just "The Masters".

The Mighty MOTU Men!

"Stronger together, united forever!
    They're the best of friends!
    When Skeletor's about,
    He'd best watch out!
    For the Mighty MOTU Men!"

(... lyrics ripped off lovingly from the Watchmen cartoon...)
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; January 27, 2011 at 12:53pm.

The R-Men!
    The Randorian alliance
    Team Eternos: Universal Police
    The He-Team
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Heroic Warriors. Does what it says on the tin.

I have many reasons why I don't like them being called "Masters (of the Universe"), but one of my biggest, is that a group who fight for peace and equality for all, would never call themselves Masters.

In the early days, Skeletor and the Evil Warriors were sometimes called the Masters of the Universe. Other times, it was said that it was due to the battle over Castle Grayskull - whoever harnessed the power would become Master(s) of the Universe.
    I like both of these. But I don't like the heroes calling themselves "Masters".
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

This is intriguing. Why is it that so many people don't see the Heroic Warriors as a team? They train together. Fight together. In MYP they even live together, as well as go on missions together. That, to me at least, says that they are a team.

On a personal note, I have always considered them a team, much like Skeletors Evil Warriors, the Snake Men, as well as the Horde.
    That's funny, because I've never seen them as a team. I like the older stories, where Skeletor would summon his henchman from all corners of Eternia, and depending on who/what/where Skeletor was attacking, The Sorceress would summon He-man, who would take along a warrior or two and join the other(s) who were already engaged in battle.

IMO, having the heroes or villains all living together, just hanging around waiting for the other one to do something is boring. I prefer them to have their own lives/ambitions/adventures.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Heroic Warriors. Does what it says on the tin.

I have many reasons why I don't like them being called "Masters (of the Universe"), but one of my biggest, is that a group who fight for peace and equality for all, would never call themselves Masters.

In the early days, Skeletor and the Evil Warriors were sometimes called the Masters of the Universe. Other times, it was said that it was due to the battle over Castle Grayskull - whoever harnessed the power would become Master(s) of the Universe.
    I like both of these. But I don't like the heroes calling themselves "Masters".

Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    Then what about "Evil Master of Escape", "Evil Master of Martial Arts", and so on? Another reason why I don't like one side being called "Masters".
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I don't see what's wrong with Masters of the Universe. It makes sense of an otherwise ambiguous title...although I prefer the shortening of it, Masters, the most.

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    That's funny, because I've never seen them as a team. I like the older stories, where Skeletor would summon his henchman from all corners of Eternia, and depending on who/what/where Skeletor was attacking, The Sorceress would summon He-man, who would take along a warrior or two and join the other(s) who were already engaged in battle.

IMO, having the heroes or villains all living together, just hanging around waiting for the other one to do something is boring. I prefer them to have their own lives/ambitions/adventures.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The Masters are a team. In MOTUC, they are called out as a strike team.

Man-At-Arms' Bio:
    Trained by the renowned tactician Dekker and a veteran of the Great Unrest, Duncan was asked by King Randor to step into this position and fortify his guard with an elite strike force, which he named The Masters of the Universe.
    I'd say the regular members are Man-At-Arms, Teela, Ram Man, Man-E-Faces, Mekaneck, Fisto, Roboto and Sy-Klone, since they all live at the palace. He-Man is considered a regular member as well since he's always there (but doesn't live at the palace). Stratos, Buzz-Off and Moss Man are members, but come when they can as they other responsibilities.

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    MegaGearMax is right. In the MYP cartoon the heroic warriors were called "the masters."
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

I think they should be called the "Fighting Faux Furry Men." On a serious note, I don't like the heroes calling themselves Masters of the Universe either. I like the vintage implication that all of the characters are fighting for the right to be "Masters of the Universe." Defenders of Grayskull or Defenders of Eternia would work better for me.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    I prefer calling them the "defenders" of eternia, which I believe in the very FIRST episode of 200x is what randor calls them.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I explained why I hate the Heroic Warriors being called "Masters" or "Masters of the Universe" in the other thread.

Just leave them as the Heroic Warriors or Defenders of Eternia.

Almost EVERY figure both good and bad is a "Heroic Master of _____" or an "Evil Master of ______" and NOTHING is EVER going to erase that.

When they referred to themselves as "Masters" in MYP, I cringed each and every time and thought "Planeteers", "Power Rangers", or any other lame-o superhero group. One of the worst things MYP introduced (besides King Grayskull/Battle Lion).
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!