View Poll Results: Now we've had Marzo, Carnivus & Vikor, how do you feel about "first time" characters?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Newbies should be included in the line on individual basis, "if they fit"

29 18.95%
  • I don't like these type of newbies at all; no more please!

8 5.23%
  • I like these kinds of newbies, and want to see them much more regularly

55 35.95%
  • I like these kinds of newbies, but they should be kept to a bare minimum (max. 1-2 per year)

57 37.25%
  • Other (please state in thread)

4 2.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now we've had Marzo, Carnivus & Vikor, how do you feel about "first time" characters?

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Now we've had Marzo, Carnivus & Vikor, how do you feel about "first time" characters?

Well, last year we had Count Marzo (a character from the Filmation cartoon, reworked for the MYP cartoon) and Chief Carnivus (from the MYP cartoon) in figure form for the first time ever. This month, we had Vikor, based on the very first He-Man design sketch, again for the first time ever in figure form.

Now we've had the chance to have these figures in hand (overseas folks are starting to get their Vikors - for that read "my first of two arrived today), how do you feel about them? Not just literally how do you like the characters in themselves (just because you might have liked X character in X cartoon, doesn't necessarily mean they're a good figure), but how well do you feel they've been integrated with the line, and do they fit in?

Like new characters being added to the line? Rather stick to existing well-known characters? Maybe the odd "newbie" but less regular?

Please vote and leave any comments you have.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I went with I like them and want to see them more regularly.

While I highly prefer to see the vintage figures, I also really enjoy getting new characters as well.

I'm highly anticipating characters like:

Lord Dactys
    EvilSeed
    Ceratus
    Illumina
    Calix
    Hawk
    Faceless One
    The Oracle

Also, I'm hoping that they'll eventually release brand new characters. I want to see a wolf character finally be added to the MOTU mythos.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

I went for 'Other'.

I don't mind seeing MYP characters included in Classics - in fact, I welcome them and can't wait for Lord Dactys and Hawke in particular. Vikor, I'm really not keen on - and the same goes for Demo-Man and Red Beast.

I don't want to see new characters included in the line until there is some supporting media for them - and they'd have to be of particular relevance to the mythos or simply really cool-looking to win me over. There are so many characters Mattel can involve - I don't think we need new characters yet.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

Heroic Warrior Woodland Warrior's Avatar
    The Enchanted Forests of Ancient Edinburgh
    I went for the "I like them but 1 or 2 a year max" option.
    I really like the 200x characters and the prototypes esp Gygor. But I think everything should be balanced so there is a good spread of vintage, POP, 200X, NA each year. Would increase it to 3 or 4 a year if Mattel finally secures those Filmation rights.
    Neutral Forest Spirit

Some I like, some not so much.
    Carnivus is not one of my favorites (in fact, he's the classic 80s Ram Man in my MOTUC collection... LOL), and I would have rather have had Prahvus, Dactys, or Evilseed instead. But I understand that Mattel needs to stagger the MYP characters out in the same manner as any of the other factions in Classics, and that one day I'll get the "first time" characters that I'm waiting for. I think I would be more annoyed or my opinion would be swayed if after Carnivus we got the guy with all the wires hanging from his torso (Sortech?), that enormous Orko Oracle thing, and the siren version of Evil-Lyn all in the same year (all MYP characters I really don't want in MOTUC).

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I chose I like these kinds of newbies, but they should be kept to a bare minimum (max. 1-2 per year).

New characters are awesome and grow the brand, but they shouldn't be forced. It should happen over time and occasionally. A huge attraction for many fans are getting better versions of the old characters (revamped or not).

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I like them quite a bit, actually. I hope to see many more before all is said and done (Songster, Demo-Man, Red Beast, Tomart's concept figures, lots and lots of MYP/MVC characters, etc.).

I agree that priority should be given to MOTU, POP, NA, and 200X figures, but I would love to see as many of these as we can get in Classics.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    I like these kinds of newbies, but they should be kept to a bare minimum (max. 1-2 per year). I definably like the new figures, but 2 a year should be enough imo (not counting the Beasts and A-List Variants). New Adventures still only has 1 figure; Optikk. Princess of Power could use a lot more as well with it's current 4 figures (Not counting Swift Wind as it's a Beast). I also can't wait to see all the favorites of the vintage MOTU
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I love them, I want more.

Heroic Warrior
    Vikor I liked, the other 2 I didnt care much for.

I voted for 1-2 a year, dont care for more then that

I like them and want to see more, whilst the regular characters are iconic, some we've had in figure form several times already
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Im not buying them at the time, but they are always welcomed to the motu mithos/toyline

I'm happy that we are getting these first time characters even if I'm not 100% satisfied with Chief Carnivus and Count Marzo.

I feel that Chief Carnivus is too cartoony and looks like something out of a Disney cartoon. As such, right now, he's my least favorite character from the whole line.

While Count Marzo I'm very happy with the way they designed him to be able to carry both his amulet and sword upon himself, I'm not satisfied with the anime hyper detail on his skirt. It's just filled with the 4H's love of putting unnecessary rivets on everything.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

I voted for bare minimum, mostly because it seems the best way to go about getting a good blend and balance of everything in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Not just literally how do you like the characters in themselves (just because you might have liked X character in X cartoon, doesn't necessarily mean they're a good figure), but how well do you feel they've been integrated with the line, and do they fit in?
    See, to me, the integration hasn't always been great; not just on first-timers (the best example I can think of are the weapons that came with King Randor).
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not a fan of the new charactors, I guess Marzo was ok but I think Carnivus doesn't fit the MOTUC line. He looks like something out of another toy line.

I am really hoping mattel never makes Sortech
    And I know alot of people are a fan of the Faceless one but I wished they were not making him.

Imo there are alot more characters from the original motu line that they could release.

Mattel please release Spikor!!!!!

Heroic Warrior kinggreyskull2011's Avatar
    As an adult collector who owned nearly the entire vintage line as a child (wish I still had them...especially MOC! WOW!) and having collected a decent portion of my favourite characters re-released through the 200x figure line / staction series, I'm actually more interested in seeing previously unreleased characters get first billing now!

You know, it's kind of exciting to see entirely new figures come out! Probably the closest feeling to re-living that childhood feeling of discovering new figures whilst going through the racks in store!

King Greyskull and Count Marzo have since grown on me...don't get me wrong, I love the character, but it did take me a couple of days for the actual style of the MOTUC line to grow on me though, cause when I first received them I was kind of disappointed by the line to be honest. After collecting 200x it took some getting used to... I still hate the card artwork though...so dreary and dull!

I'm looking forward to receiving Gygor in the mail next week.

The feeling of owning something we've never had before is just too cool! Also, always in favor of more 200x figs in any shape or form!

For me, when it comes to classics, I will JUST be buying the previously unreleased figures. Cherry picking my favs here and there.

IMO the 200x line had the superior versions of nearly all the classic characters and I have no desire to own a second sculpt of all the regulars, especially when I see them to be inferior anyway?

Just like I have no desire to re-buy all my childhood vintage MOTU figs for a second time either...they brought my a lot of joy in the day, but you can't re-buy your memories. I'm happy with the ones I've got now! Don't need history to repeat itself.

So yeah bla! bla! bla!...lol! Short answer: more of these please!

P.S. If Mattel releases more variants like the Preternian He-man under the MOTUC label, then I'll buy them, because variants are technically your classic / fav characters shown in a new way! It is exciting and different, which makes them all the more appealing! So it's not like you really have x2 identical figures.

AND...if Mattel was to release another new MOTU range down the track with say an entirely new scale - say articulated 3-4inch figures or/ 12inch figures with real hair and cloth-clothing, then maybe I would consider re-buying the classic characters again in another shape / form.

But I have my 200x versions Busts and statues are entirely different though...I'm all for 'em!
    Last edited by kinggreyskull2011; January 29, 2011 at 11:12pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Love em hope they don't stop. I'm very hopeful for some bad ass figures.

I love the new characters. It gives the series more life. However, the originals should be made with priority. The line is called 'Classics', after all.

Heroic Warrior
    Over all imo I don't think the new characters fit the motuc toyline becaquse of the name "Classics" and the new characters are NOT classic

And Carnivus is the one character I dislike the most.
    He sucks imo but I still have him because Im a completest.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Other.

Other than Marzo and the Faceless One, I really do not need anyone from the Mike Young show ahead of actual classic characters. Same goes for people like Vikor. I am fine with them being the club exclusive (such as the He-Man we are getting as club members, etc.)

Really, the figures I'd want for the "first time" are still off the table since they are Filmation (Sea Hawk, Shadow Weaver, etc.) and Master Sebrian.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    WOOOT!!! POST 8888!!!

Wow. Pretty divided issue...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kinggreyskull2011 View Post
    I'm actually more interested in seeing previously unreleased characters get first billing now!

You know, it's kind of exciting to see entirely new figures come out! Probably the closest feeling to re-living that childhood feeling of discovering new figures whilst going through the racks in store!
    Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    Love em hope they don't stop. I'm very hopeful for some bad ass figures.
    I agree with these comments. I get really excited when we see something new we've never seen before: King Grayskull, Count Marzo, Keldor, Kronis, Goddess, Vikor, Gygor and in-scale birds and Orko. Mo-Larr is okay, but he didn't excite me.

I really can't wait for Faceless One, Prahvus, Veena, Teela-Na, Queen Marlena, Geldor and a bunch of other mini-comic (MOTU and PoP) characters. Heck, all the Filmation and Jetlag characters which are currently "off limits" fit into the "first time" characters category.

...and Illumina. We can't forget about Illumina. I want her and her cat as a two pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    WOOOT!!! POST 8888!!!

Wow. Pretty divided issue...
    Congrats!

I was a little leary to celebrate my "6666" post because of the number..., but thought BJH would say something about it.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I hate to choose the "Other describe in thread" but it was the only option.

I like the newbies. But I dont agree to limit them to either A) if they "fit" whatever that means, B) limit them, or C) do more often.

I Like them, I will be happy to have more, and I trust Mattel to decide how many, how often, and when to include them. I didnt feel that sounded like any of the choices.

1-2 per year. Some are really cool ( Gygor, PE He-Man ) others couldn´t care less ( Marzo ).
    I´m curious to see Faceless One.

I like these kinds of newbies, and want to see them much more regularly

These seem to be the characters where the 4H are allowed to let loose and have some fun.
    I'll lead you into danger
    And all that troubles man
    I'll lead you far from hunger
    Just take my frozen hand