Thread: Do you consider "Classics version He-Man" to have any super-powers?

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Do you consider "Classics version He-Man" to have any super-powers?

Back in the days of the Filmation cartoon, He-Man was sometimes suddenly shown to have various, previously unknown "super-powers". Most fans, including myself, hated this, as it usually came out of nowhere and marred the story, usually throwing any kind of logic out of the window.

Anyway… it got me to thinking, do you consider MOTUClassics-version He-Man to have any particular special powers? I'm not talking about his super-strength, or whatever special powers various versions of his armor might give him, I'm thinking more about (to use some Filmation examples) turning himself into a human tornado (where’s Sy-Klone when you need him?!), super-power breath to cause gales or move heavy objects, being able to run faster than the speed of light, etc.

Personally, I hope not, as I find these kinds of feats silly, and detract from the character (as well as rather limiting the scope for other character's various abilities).

Thoughts?
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Master Of Bad Luck
    IMO, all those examples you described are derived from his super strength and resistance, therefore, those are not superpowers
    We are ka-tet. We are one from many

Don't hesitate in make deals with: JeMaBo2, air23cnhit.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubasamaxi View Post
    IMO, all those examples you described are derived from his super strength and resistance, therefore, those are not superpowers
    And I'd argue they aren't. Mere strength doesn't give you the ability to run faster (otherwise weightlifters would be the fastest people on earth) nor change the volume of your lungs.

Personally, I think He-Man should just be superhumanly strong and nearly indestructible. The closer you move to omnipotence, the less room for drama there is.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post
    And I'd argue they aren't. Mere strength doesn't give you the ability to run faster (otherwise weightlifters would be the fastest people on earth) nor change the volume of your lungs.

Personally, I think He-Man should just be superhumanly strong and nearly indestructible. The closer you move to omnipotence, the less room for drama there is.
    I hate to disagree but...

Strength as a nebulous attribute doesnt grant anything specific but it does when you consider what part of someone is strong.

A fast runner is definately in possesion of stronger leg muscles ect, than a typical person.

There is a famous line of strongmen who's big show is using their strong chest and lung capacity to inflate waterbottles. Try it some time. It's insane.

A Dancer's whole body is such a finely tuned (which is read strong and toned) instrument that they can do all maner of moves non of the rest of us can. Same goes for (and more) gymnists.

Problem is your refrence of a weightlifter doesnt apply. weightlifters arent actually all that strong, as their muscles are sculpted to look bigger, not stronger. Sure they have strength, but as that isnt their actual goal, the muscle isnt trained to be strong in any particular skill, except perhaps reps.

In adition, the strongest fighter isn't the guy with the biggest muscles. The muscles that control your movements arent neccessarily the ones that need to be huge to control your body to peak conditioning. Specifically not weightlifter huge.

He-Man is considered strong in every aspect, which I take to mean all muscles and abilities are "amped up". He looks very big. But more importantly his true strength (other than "super levels" we're talking about here) is how he can use that strength.

Dont get me wrong, I dont like the things you cited. I like him to be crazystrong, but I dont neccessarily like the applications of said strength.

So Finally, I like him being able to do great feats of strength, which include more than just "picking stuff up". But I do agree that in filmation I got pretty slaphappy about how that worked sometimes. I like consitancy.

I forget the episode, and wether it was actually She-Ra or He-Man, but the effect is the same.

They threw a grapple line into space. I'll say that again for effect. INTO SPACE.

Just a kids show, but I remember pointing at the screen and yelling at my mom first time I saw that saying basically "what, do they think we're stupid? we're kids, not stupid."

I still very much enjoy it anyway. Much of what is stupid is fun. Just lending some balance perhaps to this thread.

.edit.

And I just realized I kinda skipped the crux of your thread.

Do I believe he has superpowers like lazer vision, or fire breath, ect? No.

Do I believe he can use his great strength and skill to do amazing feats that even the most amazing person couldnt do? Yes.

Do I believe that perhaps Filmation did a good job at making consistant and good refrences to everything he can do? Not at all.

But do I believe that he should in MOTUC be able to do some pretty amazing stuff. That I'm not sure about. I always liked that he was amazing, but I didnt neccesarily like him to be superman levels of strength.

I guess I feel that he should be able to tap into greater strength, if the situation demands. But that it should not be his typical level.

I kinda think, to use comic book analogies, that he is better and stronger than everyone else, like say Captain America. But that if he strains, if he needs to in a dire situation, the powers of grayskull will channel into him more, that their power is tapped into, and his upper limits are very hard to hit when to it comes to it, up to Superman levels.

What fashion that power takes is up to others. But I guess that's how I see it.
    Last edited by baronterror; January 29, 2011 at 11:40am.

I don't mind the super-breath or him being quite fast (not Flash-fast, mind you), but I certainly don't think he has nearly the tricks that Superman has. Of course, He-Man is incredibly strong and very, very, very durable. Takes a licking (Tung Lashor?) and keeps on...well, you know.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

Super human strength is a super power. Since his levels are above that of your average human(as well as your average Eternian), I feel those other abilities just come with the territory. Not liking them is one thing, but the whole thing about He-Man is that he's more powerful than other people. He isn't the star of this franchise because he has a nice tan.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

For me He-Man's "power" has always been a willpower thing- the more he wants to do it the more powerful he becomes to push himself to make it happen. It's similar to how the Hulk is sometimes portrayed as getting stronger the angrier he gets. The whole willpower thing works for me because I've always seen He-Man as a very positive guy- he'll never want to let anyone down. So on a normal day he may not be able to toss a building, but if that building is collapsing and will kill someone he can be strong enough to stop it from falling due to his desire to save those in danger. Why else could he all of a sudden be able to jump great distances or punch meteors unless he's pushing himself to save someone?

I mean he is a guy who is basically channeling the "power of the universe". That's huge. So for me its a scale thing because if he was constantly pulling in all that power I think it would destroy him. So to me he pulls enough power to go from Adam to He-Man - a stronger, better version of himself (like Captain America after the super serum) and then taps back into that power, albeit subconsciously, and gets more when he needs to get something accomplished.

Yeah, I've thought about this before
    Last edited by Shuanfu; January 29, 2011 at 12:21pm.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    A fast runner is definately in possesion of stronger leg muscles ect, than a typical person.
    Yes, stronger than average. But we are talking about superhuman speeds specifically, so there's more than just strenght involved. Not to mention that there's nerve cells involved in controlling the motion and giving feedback to the brain. If the legs are moving faster than the relevant signals can move through the nervous system and get processed, it can only end badly. Even at highway speeds, human reaction times are often too short.

There is a famous line of strongmen who's big show is using their strong chest and lung capacity to inflate waterbottles. Try it some time. It's insane.
    I don't understand how you can go from inflating water bottles to causing great gusts of wind powerful enough to throw people or large heavy objects around. You'd have to inflate He-Man like a giant balloon to pull that off. And I'm still not sure if it would work even then, with the air being forced out through something as small as a human mouth. Besides, isn't there at least an equal chance that He-Man would end up propeling himself backwards like a human jet engine?
    Last edited by Met-Hild; January 29, 2011 at 01:08pm. Reason: I realized I was probably spouting total nonsense about muscle fibers & stuff. Consider those words of mine of no worth.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Nah, my He-Man is mostly strong and nearly indestructable (though the latter part is due mostly to his half of the power sword, so Skeletor is in a similar state due to his own half, when they have them).

I leave all the crazy stuff up to Man King. Did you know he has an ability called the Chest Bomb? All he has to do is jump into space and land on the ground with his chest. I believe that's what destroyed the technological past where all the ancient machines came from. Yes, his Chest Bomb in the present destroyed the past. He's not always terribly careful.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuanfu View Post
    For me He-Man's "power" has always been a willpower thing- the more he wants to do it the more powerful he becomes to push himself to make it happen. It's similar to how the Hulk is sometimes portrayed as getting stronger the angrier he gets. The whole willpower thing works for me because I've always seen He-Man as a very positive guy- he'll never want to let anyone down. So on a normal day he may not be able to toss a building, but if that building is collapsing and will kill someone he can be strong enough to stop it from falling due to his desire to save those in danger. Why else could he all of a sudden be able to jump great distances or punch meteors unless he's pushing himself to save someone?

I mean he is a guy who is basically channeling the "power of the universe". That's huge. So for me its a scale thing because if he was constantly pulling in all that power I think it would destroy him. So to me he pulls enough power to go from Adam to He-Man - a stronger, better version of himself (like Captain America after the super serum) and then taps back into that power, albeit subconsciously, and gets more when he needs to get something accomplished.

Yeah, I've thought about this before
    That's how I see it too. It helps explain the fluctuating power levels he's always had (sometimes he struggles to lift a boulder, other times he can lift mountains) and how he's able to match strength with Superman.

I've never liked some of the things Filmation had him do, like having super-breath or swinging his sword to create tornados. I prefer his abilities to be based on purely physical might.

yeah i remember Filmation used to try and make He-Man be like Superman. i remember him spinning his sword over his head to create a tornado.

to me He-Man is just super strong. he can lift and throw giant boulders or smash them with his fists. bend steel and stuff like that. he doesn't need any extra powers. that's what the rest of the Masters are for.

Heroic Warrior
    Short answer - no.

In fact I actually dislike the 'most powerful man in the universe' title because it isn't clear exactly what it is intended to mean.

If you take Eternia to be the 'centre of the vortex' (I hope you get what I mean by that), it follows that the strongest man there is the toughest in the universe.

But 'powerful'? That doesn't mean strength. That would fit a master magician better.

I think of He-Man as the toughest human (not creature) on Eternia, and his warrior discipline gives him strength of will too. But he doesn't have the strength to lift entire cities - he's just a human afterall.

When I wrote my stories for the site, I wanted to explore the idea that he had faults and weaknesses which could place him in dilemmas or could be exploited.

He's just a human afterall.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Back in the days of the Filmation cartoon, He-Man was sometimes suddenly shown to have various, previously unknown "super-powers". Most fans, including myself, hated this, as it usually came out of nowhere and marred the story, usually throwing any kind of logic out of the window.

Anyway… it got me to thinking, do you consider MOTUClassics-version He-Man to have any particular special powers? I'm not talking about his super-strength, or whatever special powers various versions of his armor might give him, I'm thinking more about (to use some Filmation examples) turning himself into a human tornado (where’s Sy-Klone when you need him?!), super-power breath to cause gales or move heavy objects, being able to run faster than the speed of light, etc.

Personally, I hope not, as I find these kinds of feats silly, and detract from the character (as well as rather limiting the scope for other character's various abilities).

Thoughts?
    As an adult these super powers are a bit of a distraction but as a kid they were fricken cool. Both of my boys love He-man and the various abilities he has from his super strength. As an adult watching the cartoon, its like, "Ya right." As a kid though, it was awesome the things that He-man could do even if it was something completely impossible like a man actually moving the moon. Part of the appeal of He-man to me was that he could do pretty much anything and that's a great thing to see and have as a kid.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Um, I'd ask Teela.

I kinda think, to use comic book analogies, that he is better and stronger than everyone else, like say Captain America. But that if he strains, if he needs to in a dire situation, the powers of grayskull will channel into him more, that their power is tapped into, and his upper limits are very hard to hit when to it comes to it, up to Superman levels.
    This^^

For me, He-Man is just a bit beyond the absolute pinnacle of human (Eternian) ability. But nothing he does normally would be considered truly superhuman. He can't leap 50 feet into the air or throw boulders or anything like that. But, as said above, if the situation demands it, the Powers of Grayskull will increase his power even further, for a short time.

I also feel, however, that there are definite limits to what the Powers of Grayskull can allow him to accomplish. Mostly I take it as feats of strength and endurance; lifting, throwing, pain tolerance, injury recovery, and the like. No super speed or blowing out forest fires with his freezing breath, or anything.

To me, being able to blow hard, spin fast to create a tornado and the ability to run REALLY fast can all be attributed to his SUPER HUMAN STRENGTH. He's "the most powerful man in the universe". He can do whatever his strength allows. Super human strength IS a super power…unless there's someone around here on the boards that can lift mountains.

As far as any other abilities that He-Man was shown to have in the FILMation toon…why are they suddenly "ya right" moments? It's all fantasy to begin with. You could say ya right about ANY other super hero.

Super human strength (AKA the most powerful man in the universe) = super powers, no matter if it's Classics, Vintage, NA or 200X.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!