Thread: Olesker's baaaaaaaaa-aaaaaack...for a short holiday visit

Master of New Adventures!

Olesker's baaaaaaaaa-aaaaaack...for a short holiday visit

Wow, a couple months since my farewell and a lot of changes -- primary among which are that Scott's gone and no one's posted on my College football thread in my absence. Good luck to Toy Guru. I wish him the best. I'll always remember what a gentleman he was when we met at Power-Con.

So here's the deal. After having completed the assembly packages for my production company's Fall 2014 Pitch Season presentations, which I leave for tomorrow, I'm moping around the house and Kim says, "Why don't you go onto he-man.org?" When I tell her "I said a fond farewell and I don't want to look like a doof coming back", she says, "Yeah, but you really miss it...especially the N/A haters." As she usually is, Kim is spot on right. Since I've receded from the org I can confess that one of my favorite things about being on the board was reading posts from those that really, really hate NA. It's not that I'm a masochist. Rather, I've always felt one learns -- as a writer and as a person -- from civil and constructive criticism. I'm not talking about the simple "NA sucks." What I mean is those who give specific reasons for why they didn't like the series. I know what I do right. I want to her what people thnk I do wrong. Sometimes I didn't agree with them but sometimes I've found their criticisms to be really helpful, so thank you, haters."

But back to Kim. So she sees me moping and not only presses me to go back on but comes up with a clever way for me to get around feeling like a doofus for returning. She suggests I only show up on holidays -- a few days before and until a day after -- as a sort of holiday visit home. I thought that was a really good idea. So I've decided -- especially since goddess of he-man.org Judith was gracious enough to have left the door open for me -- that I'll hang out a couple of days before and until a day after Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Eve, Valentine's Day, Easter and 4th of July -- international orgers please excuse my ethnocentricity on that last one.

It gives me a chance to 'visit home', catch up on news, duck as some rotten cabbage heads hurled at me by NA haters and give those who give a darn an update on me and my life

I'd be remiss if I didn't say I was touched by the outpouring of responses on my farewell threat. I'm a pretty tough guy -- having been born on the South Side of Chicago, served as a USAF Helicopter Search & Rescue Medic, having seven of my fingers broken in fights when I was younger and then enduring three decades in the entertainment industry, which made everything else seem like a cakewalk by comparison. But Lord Fallen Elder, I have to admit I was moved by your post. I've printed and pinned it to my office wall. A writer/producer/director works for decades in the industry and you wheel and deal and sometimes you lose sight of the fact that what's really important is touching people's lives and what an honor it is when you do that. So thanks to you and to one and all...and thanks especially to the NA haters for not posting "Good riddance!" in my farewell thread.

As for me, I leave tomorrow on my bi-coastal travels for 2014 Fall Television Pitch Season. But I'll be taking my computer along and will check in for my holiday visits. Hope you can deal with it. To paraphrase Nixon, just when you thought "you wouldn't have Olesker to kick around anymore..."

As always, you guys and gals are simply the best. It's a great joy for me to be able to interact with all of you.

Have a great Halloween.

Best,

Jack

Heroic Warrior
    Mr. Olesker, I've never corresponded with you before, but I've always enjoyed reading your posts. You are truly a celebrity to many of us that enjoy your work. Its great to see you back! The place just wasn't the same with out you.
    Last edited by RadicalThrasher; October 27, 2014 at 08:59pm.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalThrasher View Post
    Mr. Olesker, I've never corresponded with you before, but I've always enjoyed reading your posts. You are truly a celebrity to many of us that enjoy your work. Its great to see you back! The place just wasn't the same with out you.
    I couldn't agree more with this! You're a patriarch of sorts. It feels like a member of the family is missing when you're not around. I don't like it
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    Welcome back, Jack!

Don't you ever leave home again!

Co-Creator of the NV
    Jack, always happy to see you post. Honestly, I don't see the need to ever really leave. Instead, I'd suggest you just come on when you have some time to spare. No need to spend a lot of time here, no need to really swear it off entirely either.

Anyhow, good luck with your current endeavors.

Heroic Warrior
    Also it is always nice to have another Cornhusker around.

I knew you would be back Jack......welcome back!

I was monitoring your profile to see if you had lurked around the forums....that was until I stumbled across your thread!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Welcome back, Jack! It wasn't the same place without you! Screw the hatas!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Wow, a couple months since my farewell and a lot of changes --
    I hope you know you just pulled an Oprah, and a Cher at the same time ;o).
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Glad to see you will still be checking in from time to time. Welcome back.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    And here I just got my anti-Olesker shots from the local pharmacy...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Thanks to one and all. Traveling now on pitches and it's been a long travel day. Home on the 30th or 31st and will reply in detail.

Love you all...haters included.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar

welcome back jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I'd be remiss if I didn't say I was touched by the outpouring of responses on my farewell threat. I'm a pretty tough guy -- having been born on the South Side of Chicago, served as a USAF Helicopter Search & Rescue Medic, having seven of my fingers broken in fights when I was younger and then enduring three decades in the entertainment industry, which made everything else seem like a cakewalk by comparison. But Lord Fallen Elder, I have to admit I was moved by your post. I've printed and pinned it to my office wall. A writer/producer/director works for decades in the industry and you wheel and deal and sometimes you lose sight of the fact that what's really important is touching people's lives and what an honor it is when you do that. So thanks to you and to one and all
    Seriously? WOW! Now, it is I who am both touched and moved!
    (You are aware that by saying this, that it has only inflated my already MASSIVE ego right? :-P)
    Kidding aside, after some recent events, this was encouraging to read! Thank you very much.

I especially liked what you said about constructive criticism vs hate rhetoric and about being comfortable in one's self. The later is something I definitely need to keep in mind! Both points are something I wish everyone realized, though some people can't bear the reality that they are flawed I suppose? Others, can dwell in their flaws. The ego is such a fragile thing. Kind of like Goldie Locks isn't it? The ego can't be too big, and it can't be too small, as both are detrimental to self improvement.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for returning.

Thank you for compromising.

Thank you for listening to the Mrs.

Thank you Mrs. O for talking into coming back.

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/ (just incase you need a reason/excuse)

(just for the record the beginning of football season is NOT a holiday. Though I figure you do. But if it gives you an excuse to come back who am I to argue?)

Thank, Midor. And wow, flutterina...how sweet! Thanks, Darth and everyone else...even Benny, who I confess I've missed a lot.

Nice to be here, even if for a short holiday visit. Huge holiday with our children tomorrow. Our fifteen-year old Alex is Al Capone, down to the pin-striped suit, gangster brim, black shirt, white tie and spats. Six-year old Max is -- of course -- a fierce ninja with a plastic sai and nunchuks that he actually wields pretty well. My creative eleven-year old Zoe is going as a Cheshire cat. She's doing the make-up and has procured a great set of ears and a tail.

On a somewhat down note, my Kim is having major shoulder surgery on Tuesday to repair multiple labrum tears she sustained in a horrific accident in which a driver ran a red light without ever hitting the brakes, broadsided Kim's car on rolled it. It took the police and fire department almost an hour to extricate her from the car with gasoline everywhere. All air bags deployed, so that was good, but she was suspended in the car by her seat belt until she was removed. She's had numerous MRI's done and tried physical rehab, but it's just not working and Kim's in continuing pain. She's a Nebraska gal and not a complainer, but I know this has been rough for her. Too, along with me she's an avid golfer and it's something we enjoy together, so that's a factor. Her surgery is being performed by the Head Surgeon for the University of Notre Dame's Athletic Department, so she's in good hands, but will have a tough couple of weeks and then a long physical rehab. Fortunately she's got a former USAF Helicopter Search & Rescue Combat Medic to help her though it. On the other hand, there's nothing that can slow her down in her duties as Regional directed for United Way, so I'm sure before too long she'll be straining at the bit to get back to work.

As most know, I rarely post about personal matters, but in this case I'd surely appreciate orgers putting good thoughts out into the universe for my angel. Thank you.

I hope everyone has a great and safe Howl-o-ween. Party hardy, btu play safely. I'll be here until November 1st, then I'll go back into he-man.org hibernation until just before Thanksgiving.

It's fun visiting like this for the holidays. Thanks to everyone for being who you are. You guys and gals mean more -- much more -- to me than you can know.

EDIT: Was nice visiting with you all. See you all again a day or so before Thanksgiving. Yes, I know it's an American holiday, but heck I'm an American and anyway, I like a holiday on which one can be thankful. Hope everyone's Halloween was great. Bye for now.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 1, 2014 at 02:31pm.