Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite movie of 2013?

What is your favorite movie of 2013?

I'd have to go with the second Thor film. I enjoyed this one almost as much as the first film and I didn't really think there was a huge amount of great movies this year.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Gosh, I do not think I even saw that many movies this year now that I think of it.

I am going to have to go with Disney's Saving Mr. Banks.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    I had four bottoms, so I have four tops:

Man of Steel - Surprised myself at how much I liked this movie. It reminded me that Superman is my favorite superhero of all time (and in fact the first Reeves movie is still my favorite comic book movie), and all my grievances I had with the preview pictures and interviews simply went away while I was watching it in the theater. Yes, it diverged from so much of the source material and had a lot of questionable decisions made in it. But watching this movie allowed me to really appreciate that nothing ever gets replaced (ie Reeves) and can in fact be a nice addition to a franchise. I was thrilled with the action and absolutely happy at finally seeing Superman being the overpowered wrecking ball that he never got to be in a movie before.

This is the End - I'm genuinely tired of all these actors and the various movies they (always) are in. But the film proved to be entirely opposite of what I expected. The laughs were consistent throughout, and the gags never felt stupid (except for that dance routine ending *ugh*). My friends and I have sat down to watch this a few times now, and we all still laugh our asses off.

The Wolverine - Another shocker for me. This movie finally proved that Hugh Jackman owns the Wolverine role. He's always had bad scripts full of crappy lines and lame story arcs. But I think having this decent enough write up behind him finally let the audience see Jackman play the role correctly. Sure, the last third of the movie felt off when compared to the beginning two thirds, but overall it was still a fun watch that has me hoping for a third film in the Wolverine franchise to be made (something that the Origins movie did not make me feel).

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Cumberbatch as Smaug. Period. The whole point of me seeing these movies is for the damn dragon, and when he finally appears it makes the wait worthwhile. The dialogue, the cg, and the atmosphere of this movie is so beautifully captured that it does justice to the high bar that Andy Serkis set for the LOTR trilogy and Gollum. I alss think that my like for this second movie comes from my problems with the first Hobbit movie and not really knowing what the point of their journey was. I never read the book, and so the movie had to tell people like me what all was going on, which it didn't. At least in this film, it was finally explained that they were after the Earth Stone (or whatever it is) so the head dwarf dude could unite all the dwarves for war (or something, this is another plot hole for me that I'm sure the third movie will finally tell). About my only issue with this movie is the actual filming of it. P.J. has a really bad habit of making his action scenes super dizzying. Running through a gauntlet of enemies, or capturing action that should be a simple straight line is made ridiculously complicated with the way the camera spins and twirls around for no reason. They're in barrels going down a river, why the **** are you shaking the camera around so much? Eh... Seeing both of these Hobbit movies, even with the story additions to pad out three movies (something a purist of the novel like my father is), really reminds me of how much I like the universe that Tolken created. I just wished that this second movie would have exploited things a bit more (like the dwarves being master carpenters/smiths, or the Elves being more majestic and ethereal), but the little we got was still fun. I can't wait for the extended edition for this movie and part 3 next year.

Again don't make it to the theatre much explained in the other thread. Best well I haven't seen Thor 2, Frozen or Hobbit 2 yet and I am sure it would be one of those three.

Most other movies released this year were fun and that's about it, most I wouldn't go out and purchase or anything.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Gravity: excellent CGI effects usage, travelling camera and compelling original story telling.
    I know it quite is impossible now, but I wish Alfonso Cuarón would do some other saga movie such as Transformers or a new Batman. He did change Harry Potters tone with Prisioner of Azkaban and his vision and CGI knowledge would be out of this world in a movie like the ones mentioned
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    That is tuff, I really like Frozen, Pacific Rim, Thor 2, The Hobbit part 2, and Kick Ass 2.

Master of New Adventures!
    For me it's a tie between Wolverine and Thor 2. Although I found the endings of both fairly predictable -- the curse of being in the entertainment industry is that it's difficult not to foresee things in a film -- I felt the plot lines were engaging, the acting was pretty good and, importantly for me at least, the actresses were gorgeous.

Heroic Warrior
    Spring Breakers and La Grande Bellezza spring to mind. There were others I enjoyed, like Frances Ha and This is the end, and Pacific Rim, but nothing that comes close to those two.

Heroic Warrior
    The Wolverine happened to be the best out of the ones I've seen this year.
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

"To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi, Yu-Gi-Oh

2nd Star To The Right, And Straight On 'Till Morning
    Except for the occasional times that I am with a group of people who spontaneously decide to go to a movie, almost every movie I see in the theater is a guaranteed like. I do not fork over theater money for something that I am questionable on.

I expected that The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug would be my favorite movie this year. And I did love it a lot. However, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ended up being my favorite. No other movie that I saw this year made me feel like this one did. I laughed, cried, got excited, got mad, etc. If it gets snubbed in the Oscar nominations, it will be a crime.

Compared to most years, I saw quite a few different movies, and several of them multiple times. I liked them all, but here is my final rankings of everything:

1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    2. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
    3. Thor: The Dark World
    4. The Wolverine
    5. Iron Man 3
    6. Star Trek: Into Darkness
    7. Man of Steel
    8. Gravity
    9. Ender's Game

The Top 7 were the only ones that I anticipated seeing this year. However, though I was not anticipating the bottom two, I actually did enjoy them both.

The summer blockbusters were all pretty good this year, but my faves of the entire year are a tie between Cheap Thrills and You're Next.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    R.E.D. 2 for me. Action, romance, and above all, comedy! Very fun indeed!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Snappy Threader
    Thor 2 was by far the best movie of the year in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    The summer blockbusters were all pretty good this year, but my faves of the entire year are a tie between Cheap Thrills and You're Next.
    Yes, You're Next was awesome.

I'm going with The Conjuring. It was just a flawless classic styled horror film. Loved it!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Thor 2: The Dark World
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Yes, You're Next was awesome.

I'm going with The Conjuring. It was just a flawless classic styled horror film. Loved it!
    The Conjuring is right up there, too!
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug would probably get my vote but it's the last film I saw so it's pretty fresh in my mind...plus I've seen it now 4 times.

Prisoners was another great film that, quite frankly, should have been nominated for some Golden Globes but got overlooked cause it wasn't released in the last 2 months.

42 was another great film. Harrison Ford was Oscar worthy in it.

Thor 2 was great. I could watch Tom Hiddleston, as Loki, recite the dictionary and be entertained.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I saw Thor 2, Star Trek: Into Darkness, Iron Man 3, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, RED 2, and Escape Plan. All very good movies.

But I think my favorite was The Last Stand.

I have to agree that there wasn't any movie this year I would describe as great. There were quite a few good movies, but the great cinematic material seemed to dwell on the small screen (Walking Dead, Justified, Game of Thrones, etc).

I did like The Wolverine, Star Trek: ID, Evil Dead, Pacific Rim, Man of Steel, and Jack Reacher. I had my littles quibbles with all of them, but not to the point where I didn't thoroughly enjoy them. Haven't seen Thor 2 yet, and plan to see the Hobbit 2 this weekend. Also really liked two horror B-movie picks - No One Lives, and the UK import Grabbers.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Thor: The Dark World

Man of Steel would have been number one, were it not for Thor. It had plenty of awesome moments (Faora was a nightmare) and visual eye candy (Superman actually fights), but it lacked a sense of fun. Thor 2 was way more fun and entertaining. Loki was great as always and it felt good to see more of Asgard. Malekith was an afterthought of a villain, but he wasn't the reason that people were going to see this.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Court Magician
    I didnt get out much last year, but I'll probably say Thor 2. It picked up the ball from the Avengers in a much clearer manner than how Iron Man 3 approached things and had that level of gravitas, humor and adventure that improved on the first film and had the kind of heightened scale and escalation I want out of this current phase of Marvel flicks. It puts you in the right mood for Guardians this year.

I also actually liked Iron Man 3....in an 80s buddy cop kind of way

The Hobbit & Gravity were the best.

Like for so many others, among the best ones I saw are The Hobbit 2, Thor 2 and Gravity. But then there was also Resolution, and even though it's from 2012, I saw it in theatre this year and I think it's my favorite movie of the year.

It's a tie between Thor 2 and Man of Steel.

No, wait. It's Wolverine because of the post-credits scene. I cried tears of happiness when I saw that.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Heroic Warrior Wundar_Grayskull's Avatar
    1. The Hobbit: The desolation of Smaug.
    2. Thor: The Dark World
    3. The Man of Steel
    4. This is the End
    5. The Worlds End
    6. R.I.P.D.
    7. The Conjuring
    8. Insidious Chapter 2
    9. World War Z