Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 141

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread--February 2011

  1. #51
    Cheap Repaint FAKER II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak View Post
    It just really gets down to the fact that I don't like the color pink honestly. To me it's just a watered down red. But yeah it's all opinion.
    Technically, pink is just a tint of red. So in a way, you are correct to say that pink is just a watered down red. That's not mere opinion. But as to whether or not pink is intimidating, I guess that is a matter of opinion. (Though I suspect a good majority of people hold the same "opinion" on that matter.)
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

    "The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

  2. #52
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak View Post
    I am all for it being released to appease those that want it. I however as an artist do not want to display it as I do not see pink as a intimidating color. I want my collection to keep the more barbaric/tech tones and aspects of the line. I am not against people getting what they want though. I will just sell the figures I don't want since I am bound by the subscription to get them if they are released. It just really gets down to the fact that I don't like the color pink honestly. To me it's just a watered down red. But yeah it's all opinion.
    That's the beauty of it though. Spirit/Swiftwind is pink. People think "Oh what a cute horsey, (s)he couldn't harm anyone..." and BAM powerful transformation and kicks some butt!

    That's why you see evil bunnies in things. The cute little critters eat people's faces in some movies.

    Seriously, it could help out with the secret identity thing too if they make Spirit white and Swiftwind pink in the MOTUC cannon (or vice-versa). You know, instead of "I wonder who He-Man is? It can't be Prince Adam...the only person on Eternia with a green and yellow tiger...except for Battle Cat..."
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  3. #53
    Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Fright Zone
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Seriously, it could help out with the secret identity thing too if they make Spirit white and Swiftwind pink in the MOTUC cannon (or vice-versa). You know, instead of "I wonder who He-Man is? It can't be Prince Adam...the only person on Eternia with a green and yellow tiger...except for Battle Cat..."
    I totally agree with you regarding the silly aspect of the Adam, Cringer to He-Man and Battle Cat. I am one of the small group of people that kind of wish He-Man would have remained barbaric. Or also agreeing with that logic I wish it was just known and accepted that Adam was He-Man and that he was that strong at all times. In the end though it is pretty much like Clark Kent and Superman. Glasses and hair apparently are enough to fool people. I doubt that people would be so easily tricked in reality but what can you do, it is a comic.

    As for Swiftwind I would think growing wings and a horn from a regular horse would make it look different enough. There are lots of white horses and Unicorn/Pagasus are rare. I also don't really recall Swiftwind kicking butt. I do remember him flying She-Ra around. I will admit though that I am no expert on the subject so any information on him doing so is appreciated. In contrast I do remember Battle Cat getting into fights and pinning down enemies.

    I do mean that though. Any information to make Swiftwind seem more savage or kick butt would be really appreciated by me as I am not as knowledgeable on the She Ra line. I would like to see it differently because I am getting Swiftwind no matter what.

    As for the color pink I just don't like that color. I am sorry but that opinion won't change. It has nothing to do with anything except for the fact that it just does not appeal to me. I am more of a solid color kind of guy.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

  4. #54
    Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    ...instead of "I wonder who He-Man is? It can't be Prince Adam...the only person on Eternia with a green and yellow tiger...except for Battle Cat..."
    Well, it's not as if Battle Cat is twice the size of Cringer or anything. Nor that all tigers on Eternia are green & yellow...

  5. #55
    Master of Dreams Sandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    2,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman's Head View Post
    I would like to see Clawful with articulated claws. I would've liked to see that with Buzz-Off as well, but whatever. At least Clawful!
    I'm sure his big claw will be articulated, at least.

  6. #56
    Oracle of Fabulousity Kevenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    7,167
    Judging from the comments here, people must not find Skeletor very intimidating, since he's colored merely with a "watered down" blue. How anyone can find him threatening in light blue and purple, I'll never know!!!

    Oh the mental acrobatics we perform!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

    "Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

    - Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

  7. #57
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak View Post
    As for Swiftwind I would think growing wings and a horn from a regular horse would make it look different enough. There are lots of white horses and Unicorn/Pagasus are rare.
    Yeah, that's true.

    I also don't really recall Swiftwind kicking butt. I do remember him flying She-Ra around. I will admit though that I am no expert on the subject so any information on him doing so is appreciated. In contrast I do remember Battle Cat getting into fights and pinning down enemies.
    I'm pretty sure there were times when Swiftwind took out evil doers in the sky when She-Ra was taking them out on the ground. He may have bucked people too. Most of the time he and She-Ra work as a team to dodge lasers and take out the enemies. Much like Battle Cat and He-Man work together.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Well, it's not as if Battle Cat is twice the size of Cringer or anything. Nor that all tigers on Eternia are green & yellow...
    Maybe, but in 30 years we have never seen one of these other supposed tigers except one piece of artwork. Methinks they are all extinct except Cringer. So...yeah. I always thought about that as a child how he's the only green and yellow tiger...who talks...and nobody knows who he is.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  8. #58
    Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,709
    Well, the others would all be the size of Cringer, not BC. Little strategic value for Skeletor to focus on them, ergo we don't see them.

  9. #59
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    Judging from the comments here, people must not find Skeletor very intimidating, since he's colored merely with a "watered down" blue. How anyone can find him threatening in light blue and purple, I'll never know!!!
    It's the skull! Maybe if Swiftwind's head was a skull, his wings leathery and he was a villain then perhaps people would be more accepting of pink as his main color. But I wouldn't hold my breath...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  10. #60
    Heroic Warrior urbanmyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    It's the skull! Maybe if Swiftwind's head was a skull, his wings leathery and he was a villain then perhaps people would be more accepting of pink as his main color. But I wouldn't hold my breath...
    I like it! Another use for the Swiftwind buck!

  11. #61
    Master of Dreams Sandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    2,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    It's the skull! Maybe if Swiftwind's head was a skull, his wings leathery and he was a villain then perhaps people would be more accepting of pink as his main color. But I wouldn't hold my breath...

    So basically like the Nightmare steed for Warduke for the AD&D line?

  12. #62
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    So basically like the Nightmare steed for Warduke for the AD&D line?
    But he was black, wasn't he? Or dark blue?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  13. #63
    Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Fright Zone
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I'm pretty sure there were times when Swiftwind took out evil doers in the sky when She-Ra was taking them out on the ground. He may have bucked people too. Most of the time he and She-Ra work as a team to dodge lasers and take out the enemies. Much like Battle Cat and He-Man work together.
    Cool. Kicking some of his enemies and sky fights would work! I am totally down with that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    But he was black, wasn't he? Or dark blue?
    He was black with fire on his hooves and red eyes with a skeleton motif for his saddle. Now that is a scary horse!

    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    It's the skull! Maybe if Swiftwind's head was a skull, his wings leathery and he was a villain then perhaps people would be more accepting of pink as his main color. But I wouldn't hold my breath...
    Exactly! You are talking about a guy who has a skull for a head and bones on his chest carrying a staff with ...you guessed it a Ram Skull! He has clawed feet and even wears some black. He looks evil. A pink unicorn with wings is more like a My Little Pony that has been beefed up and less cartoony. I am still ok with a white Swiftwind so not saying he does not belong. Again it is an opinion on colors here. I would say that there have to be lighter colors because not everything can be solid. I prefer the solid colors and honestly would not mind it so much if Skeletor was a darker color.

    When I see pink I think of love and cuteness and Valentines day candies. All of these things are great qualities but they don't belong on my personal battlefield.

    Lets face it colors have associations. They have for a long time and they will continue to do so in the future. Even if a pink Swiftwind drinks blood and shoots lasers from his eyes and can move planets while killing things with mind daggers it would not match the first impression of the person who is unaware and sees it sitting on the shelf. They would just assume beautiful winged unicorn. Honestly that is pretty much what he is so they would not be too far off. His tag line is "Beautiful horse Spirit, becomes Magical Flying Unicorn." That does not sound much different at all from that perception.

    If a random person sees it and makes a judgment based on his colors you cannot really fault them for it. If I say Blood lust do you picture green? If I say Death do you picture Orange? I would say no but again maybe I am not on the same page.

    I do feel though that again for me it really gets down to one thing. I do not like the color pink in association with my savage Barbarian/Wizard/Tech world.

    I do however know that a plethora of pink is probably on the way and I am ready to deal with it just so I can get the toys I like better. My personal dislike is not going to stop a pink Swiftwind or Clawdeen so I would not worry too much if you are anxiously waiting for them
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

  14. #64
    Sunflower Golden Lord josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA>WI>608>MSN
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    By putting out a variant first, you ensure that people will buy it, not knowing when/if the "correct" version comes out, and then buy the redeco later to get it.

    Mattel learned this after putting out Battle Cat, watching him sell out in minutes and then realizing there's no variant of him people will buy. :hmgrin
    But they can't even make enough to keep him in stock for any decent amount of time, so not too many worries there. And I'm scared to think what variant we could have gotten: Samurai Battle Cat?!
    Last edited by josh; February 2, 2011 at 07:12pm. Reason: typo
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

  15. #65
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,469
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    But they can't en make enough to keep him in stock for any decent amount of time, so not too many worries there. And I'm scared to think what variant we could have gotten: Samurai Battle Cat?!
    Flocked Battle Cat.

    Then everyone would have been clamoring for an unflocked Battle Cat.

    But since Mattel would make a real 200X He-Man, they could probably milk Battle Cat by making 200X Battle Cat instead of kitbashing him from Battle Lion.

    Toyguru was up answering questions this morning! Here they are!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; February 3, 2011 at 11:56am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

  16. #66
    Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Planet Eronia
    Posts
    18,025
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Toyguru was up answering questions this morning! Here they are!
    I wonder why Slime costs so much compared to all the usual plastic materials?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

  17. #67
    sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,126
    So when it should not matter to get a pink horse, why need one in that color?

    Im so glad the horsemen will sculp the vehicles!!!

  18. #68
    waiting for Geldor Toymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Valley of Osgoor
    Posts
    6,053
    Beast Men also appeared in the ladybird books, but interesting that he mentioned their appearance in a medium they have got the rights to, hmmm.

    I hope the Adam bio is for 200X Adam.

    The Slime Pit He-Man answer was better than "no plans right now but a cool idea to refresh He-Man down the line" or "we can't comment past Catra right now!"
    Tweet Me!

    I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

  19. #69
    Lord of the Patch baronterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    4,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    I truly dont see the issue here?

    We are getting the 'Royal' Swift wind this year (white,Gold,Magenta) just as we are getting the Unflocked Panthor.....

    ......and Yet its ok for a lot of .orgers to cry out for a flocked version 'cos thats how he should be!'

    BUT its not ok for those of us who Want a Classic Swiftwind to ask for him,Even though -Surprise,Surprise -Thats how he should be?

    The double standards continue to amaze me.

    how does a re-paint variant somewhere in the future even register, TG has said they would like to do a pink Swift wind down the road....so dont buy it! But please dont ruin it for others.

    ka

    I dont want the vintage pink swift wind. But I admit with a guilty heart that it should have been pink.

    A happy happy, guilty heart.

    All of POP should reflect vintage toys. But again, with a happy happy, guilty heart....

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    It's true. Mattel made it very clear that people were voting between ROYAL Swiftwind and Classic pink Swiftwind and he should come with his original toy name (and awesome, removeable armour). I mean Battle Armour He-Man wasn't "He-Man"...
    Point in fact, of course Battle Armour He-Man was He-Man. No one said, "Oh look here comes Battle Armour He-Man to save us. I do get your point though, about packaging, ect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    We all know that Mattel will eventually release a Filmation Swiftwind because of the U-Matics video and probably a female, pink Swiftwind because we got an all orange, male Zoar.

    Goodness, I dont know. If they do release a "Filmation" Swiftwind, I'll be kinda angry in a messed up way. I'll be ecstatic, but I'll also have a "Royal Swift Wind" for sale, opened, which I will not recoup my losses on. I would rather know now if it were comming so I could wait to buy that one. Like the folks who just have to have a flocked Panthor, I'm willing to wait for "the right" Swiftwind. Too bad "Filmation" Swiftwind isn't confirmed.

    I'll bet that since they are even considering doing Royal Swiftwind first (and point in fact are) that they are doing so as they never plan to release "Filmation" Swift wind and so want to allow White Horse wanters a chance to get the closest they can to Filmation. Because if they could have done Filmation type Swifty, they should have had the vote between that and Pink and just skipped Royal entirely.
    Last edited by baronterror; February 4, 2011 at 03:04am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  20. #70
    Heroic Warrior radrcks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,003
    Okay so Slimepit He-Man won't have slime.. that's cool... BUT...

    "Compared to plastic or even soft goods...."

    So great.. he'll be translucent. If my Goddess breaks (I've been lucky so far) and Slimepit He-Man I hope opposite legs break off so they can hold each other up.
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

  21. #71
    Heroic Warrior Power Sword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Almaden Mountains
    Posts
    807
    What are the chances Cringer will one day show up in the MOTUC line? Adam's old buddy needs his own figure.

    I imagine one day we will get to Cringer. But nothing to announce right now. He certainly deserves a figure after 29 years!
    I like this answer. Cringer sure DOES deserve a figure! Maybe with a new Adam & that Adam bio.

    Will there actually be characters that were unique to the mini-comics such as Geldor or Lodar? What about Randor as he appeared in the mini-comic, but not the older, white-beard Randor (more as he looked in the FILMation series since he also looked this way in the mini-comic)?

    Yes, quite a few are planned in the next few years.
    This is cool. I thought Lodar looked cool & fit right in with the rest of the Masters characters. This'll be interesting to see what Mattel comes up with.

    Nice questions & answers.
    Thanks from me to the fans & Mattel!
    I want my other half.

  22. #72
    Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,892
    Be very happy to hear more news on characters like Geldor & Lodar.

  23. #73
    A big fan of Slush Head
    Mike Bock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Quagmi swamp
    Posts
    9,167
    Will there actually be characters that were unique to the mini-comics such as Geldor or Lodar? What about Randor as he appeared in the mini-comic, but not the older, white-beard Randor (more as he looked in the FILMation series since he also looked this way in the mini-comic)?

    Yes, quite a few are planned in the next few years.
    I guess we won't see this repaint any time soon then:




    The great thing is that there is a chance to get a " Filmation" Randor.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

  24. #74
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,195
    I can with quite a bit of confidence say that I wouldn't be interested in non-4H vehicles.

  25. #75
    Heroic Warrior Wulff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    Okay so Slimepit He-Man won't have slime.. that's cool... BUT...

    "Compared to plastic or even soft goods...."

    So great.. he'll be translucent. If my Goddess breaks (I've been lucky so far) and Slimepit He-Man I hope opposite legs break off so they can hold each other up.
    As has been stated many times over, any problems with Goddess have nothing to do with translucent plastic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •