Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POP Concept Character "JOSH" for the MOTUC!

Hybrid View

POP Concept Character "JOSH" for the MOTUC!

After reading the mattycollector description for Bow, in which they mention that he is the lone male character to be released in the MOTUC, I got bummed because I am still hoping for a new conceptualized heroic warrior or prince named Josh. Since the character already exists in the available cannon, why can't they do something cool with him? POP needs another Etherian man!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

I would be up for it if one of the concept characters seen in Tomart was included and Josh was his real name.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I know! This bums me out too. I want Josh!

EDIT: MGM, you posted while I was making my post with mini-comic pictures.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I'm always up for minicomic characters and characters that haven't had figures before, so put me down for a Josh!

What would Josh's real name be?
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    I'm always up for minicomic characters and characters that haven't had figures before, so put me down for a Josh!

What would Josh's real name be?
    Eric

If we get Josh then.....
    1. I want Disco Skeletor
    2. I will riot

Josh - Special Friend of Bow. Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Matty needs to do pre-orders !!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    After reading the mattycollector description for Bow, in which they mention that he is the lone male character to be released in the MOTUC, I got bummed because I am still hoping for a new conceptualized heroic warrior or prince named Josh. Since the character already exists in the available cannon, why can't they do something cool with him? POP needs another Etherian man!
    Technically it says "The first and only male character from the Princess of Power™ series"

Which I took to mean that he is the only male from the 1980s Princess of Power action figure line.
    Not that it automatically rules out any other PoP-based male characters.
    I think they'd consider Josh a mini-comics character.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Adam, we need pics!!!

Oh, and I added Josh to the index!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I know I've talked a lot of smack about Bow, so before I go any further I want to say that he's the only part of POP that I'm not excited about--OK, so I can do without any of the creatures/animals/vehicles beyond Swift Wind, but I say bring on all the figures of rebel and Horde ladies and bring 'em on as quick as you want! But I think Josh would be a terrible idea for a figure, unless they made him dead last. Give me Strobo (who I don't want) and Songster (who I do want) before you give me Josh. And I think POP fans would be MOST against having him made when there are so many other POP figures that are more wanted, more deserving, more well known and just plain cooler and more interesting than him.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

I 'm a HUGE PoP fan and I do want Josh. Josh is very facinating to me. We don't know much about him, but we can gather the following from his mini-comic appearance:

1) Josh is a member of the Great Rebellion.
    2) Josh is good friends with Adora, Bow and Glimmer.
    3) Josh is an IMPORTANT member of the Great Rebellion because he was invited to the picnic with the three most important members of the Great Rebellion.

Guesses:

Maybe Mattel was thinking of introducing Josh to become Glimmer's love interest?

I just think he's so interesting because he's so important but we know almost nothing about him. What's his specialty? Is he a "master" of something?

Also, I just noticed that Josh's design changes drastically in page 4 and 14.

On page 4 he kind of looks like Prince Adam with the wristbands and vest. On page 14 he's wearing a full dress shirt under his vest. That's...odd.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Evil Vixen/Heroic Chef Starshine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I 'm a HUGE PoP fan and I do want Josh. Josh is very facinating to me. We don't know much about him, but we can gather the following from his mini-comic appearance:

1) Josh is a member of the Great Rebellion.
    2) Josh is good friends with Adora, Bow and Glimmer.
    3) Josh is an IMPORTANT member of the Great Rebellion because he was invited to the picnic with the three most important members of the Great Rebellion.

Guesses:

Maybe Mattel was thinking of introducing Josh to become Glimmer's love interest?

I just think he's so interesting because he's so important but we know almost nothing about him. What's his specialty? Is he a "master" of something?

Also, I just noticed that Josh's design changes drastically in page 4 and 14.

On page 4 he kind of looks like Prince Adam with the wristbands and vest. On page 14 he's wearing a full dress shirt under his vest. That's...odd.
    I agree! (For the most part..) But you forgot #4. - Josh is Bow's 'better half'!
    ".....We wouldn't think of putting something on the screen - whether for theatres, television, or home video - without building in pro-social values..."

- Lou Scheimer (1984)

This is what its all about, folks.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Josh seems to share Adams vest. Easy custom!
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I know I've talked a lot of smack about Bow, so before I go any further I want to say that he's the only part of POP that I'm not excited about--OK, so I can do without any of the creatures/animals/vehicles beyond Swift Wind, but I say bring on all the figures of rebel and Horde ladies and bring 'em on as quick as you want! But I think Josh would be a terrible idea for a figure, unless they made him dead last. Give me Strobo (who I don't want) and Songster (who I do want) before you give me Josh. And I think POP fans would be MOST against having him made when there are so many other POP figures that are more wanted, more deserving, more well known and just plain cooler and more interesting than him.
    This is essentially the same argument that can be made whenever ANY concept or C-lister makes it into the line over a more anticipated character. I respect your opinion, but I feel that is a narrow-minded viewpoint and it misses the point of Mattel's strategy in regards to figure releases. For the record, I feel they would have to "do more" for the Josh Concept than his mini comics appearance gives him. There is no reason why he couldn't be given a tricky talent and armor, or given a crown and a sword, or just a lieutena t in the Rebellion. But I agree that he needs more. The same could be said for some of those C-lister POP ladies.

Looking at him and his arms he could be the muscles the rebellion really could need as they only have She-Ra and she isn´t always around none off the others are really strong when it comes to strength.

He could be a former Bodyguard or who knows...?

For me he is like Vikor or Eldor, nothing much is known but that´s the interessting part, so i would vote yes, please make him one of the new concept figures.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Mern-ra I'm totally with you on this... Josh looks like a cross between Jem's Rio and Barbie's Ken! Terrible character. Bring on Seahawk!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Bring on Seahawk!!!
    Amen! Which line Mattel wanna include Filmation rights if not in Motuc?

ON TOPIC: If they give Josh some more skills and deepness to his character than just to be on a picnic ... why not?
    But please ... not in the next 2 years.

I would love to see Josh in MOTUC one day.
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List
    Dragstor : Peekablue : Perfuma : Queen Angella : Saurod

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    Technically it says "The first and only male character from the Princess of Power™ series"

Which I took to mean that he is the only male from the 1980s Princess of Power action figure line.
    Not that it automatically rules out any other PoP-based male characters.
    I think they'd consider Josh a mini-comics character.
    That would mean that either Loo-Kee and Kowl are not considered PoP or planned for MotUC....or they both switched and are now female...

JOSH?!! Are you serious? LOL!

That comic appearance isn't doing him any favors either. I expect the following page to show him and Bow giggling and combing each other's chest hair.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post

That comic appearance isn't doing him any favors either. I expect the following page to show him and Bow giggling and combing each other's chest hair.
    This! I've accepted the fact that PoP is included with this line, but this has to be one of the more absurd requests I've heard. What would he come with, a picnic basket and Barbra Streisand records? He does look like he could use the non-mustached head of Mr. Reccula though.

But to those of you who want him, I wish you good luck with that one, I wouldn't buy him, but then there are a lot of MOTUC figures I wouldn't buy.

Personally I have zero interest in a figure of this character at this point.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    This! I've accepted the fact that PoP is included with this line, but this has to be one of the more absurd requests I've heard. What would he come with, a picnic basket and Barbra Streisand records? He does look like he could use the non-mustached head of Mr. Reccula though.

But to those of you who want him, I wish you good luck with that one, I wouldn't buy him, but then there are a lot of MOTUC figures I wouldn't buy.
    I don't really think he's absurd. I mean...his look is very similar to that of Prince Adam, except Josh has more of a "commoner" look. Both share their purples and such.

Wanting Josh is no more absurd than wanting Green Goddess, Geldor, Lodar, that creepy monster thing that looks like it could re-use the Gygor body, etc.

I want Josh and I want a backstory for him which explains how/why he joined the Rebellion and why he's so important to Adora, Bow and Glimmer. It's been killing me all these years!

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    Well, if you're going off the basis of fleshing out the PoP universe, wouldn't there be far more important characters to get to, before Josh. Just for arguments sake, you only get 3 or 4 new PoP figures a year, factor out the amount already existing figures you'd have to make, there aren't that many slots left. Wanting Josh is like saying, "I want the harp player in the bar." This isn't Star Wars, where every onscreen character can get made.
    Exactly. Without the Filmation rights, there may only be 22 or so PoP characters to make in total - but at three a year, that's still over seven years!

[For the people who really, really want him, though, I like the idea of merging him with Songster]

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I want a backstory for him which explains how/why he joined the Rebellion and why he's so important to Adora, Bow and Glimmer. It's been killing me all these years!

"You're kidding, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    "You're kidding, right?"
    No, I'm serious, Bobzilla.

I always wanted to know who he was, what he was about, why he was so important to the main characters and the Rebellion. Just, so many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post

Yes, I am! And apart from the FACT that it tickles when someone else brushes your chest hair, anyone should agree that giggling would be the normal response.

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    No thanks! He is too dull. I don't like his design and I loathe the name.

But they could add to him, like they've done for others.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I say make Josh. Make Songster. Make Josh into Songster.

Make Josh look a little more like Bow and give him that kick-butt Guitar-AXE and you have songster!

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ictureid=11973

SONGSTER HEROIC MASTER OF SOUND
    This isn't a bad idea. If fans liked it, it could work. I'd rather Josh have a cool last name that is also his nickname, and be amped up with weapons, etc. They could do more with the clothing, too. I like the idea of developing this Josh guy because it is the chance to add another man to the good guy's team (The Great Rebellion).

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    That's the whole reason he seems like a boring choice for a figure. He would need a total overhaul and a 'superhero' name added so would basicaly be a totally different character. That's why it seems kinda pointless.
    Giving him chest armor, weapons, and a nickname/last name would make him a totally different character?

"Pointless" is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I see reason to expand the known story of MOTU and POP by developing little known characters. If you're not for that, then you're not for JOSH. Or any other little known character.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    What you are basically saying is that you want to create a new character and have his real name be Josh as a nod to his one, brief mini-comic appearance. That is cool and all but it doesn't really have a strong chance of happening in Classics as they are not creating new characters.

He isn't a "new" character. He exists already, and can be further developed into something interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    But you could do the whole fleshing out thing for pretty much every background character that appeared in the mini-comics and 200X. Not saying theirs anything wrong with that but I don't see why Josh is being singled out for this. The pro Josh debates all revolve around making basically a brand new character so if thats the case why narrow him down to being Josh who is just a random background filler.
    Personally im not interested in dozens of toys of nobodys that appear in the background here and there.
    Some people ARE interested. the "fleshing out thing" worked really well for the universe of STAR WARS. And if they weren't already doing this with the line, I wouldn't be suggesting Josh.

And, "Josh" is being singled out (on this thread) because he is:

A. A muscular, heroic type guy.
    B. A Rebellion Member.
    C. A chance for a second male on the Rebellion team.
    D. A chance to add to the story by developing new dynamics.
    E. A chance to expand the POP universe.

Quote Originally Posted by LostIt2Bostik View Post
    Aren't there enough men in the lines combined? Do we really need yet another slot going to a male figure with no superpowers or weapons, named rather univentively, 'Josh'? This line needs more women and not men and to commit another POP slot to a male figure when Casta, Frosta, and Peeka still aren't adorning my bedroom walls is a travesty + tragedy = trajesty.
    1. ANY figure that gets released before your favorites are keeping you from them.

2. There are key characters within this line that do not possess any special superpowers, but they were given weapons, a job, and in some cases a good name.

3. So it's not about POP, but about girl figures in general? I'm fond of the story potential first and foremost. New and undiscovered characters help that.

Give me Strobo (who I don't want) and Songster (who I do want) before you give me Josh. And I think POP fans would be MOST against having him made when there are so many other POP figures that are more wanted, more deserving, more well known and just plain cooler and more interesting than him.
    What if all the POP characters get released? Would it be okay to develop Josh then? Because they are saying they want to get to all of them within the time frame. There isn't one being "dropped" in favor of this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    In the old line (Pop mini comics) I have "Josh" pegged as bow`s love interest Unless this guy is dead last I don`t want to see him in MOTUC
    Because you think he's gay? Why? Because he wore purple? Or because he stood next to Bow in some panels? Josh was a mini-comic character originally invented to be a child-girl-friendly adult male who is depicted as a kind friend to the women that the child is identifying with when viewing the comic. And because we are taking characters intended to appeal to children and giving them more serious bios and stories, why not a "Josh"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    As much as I love and support POP in the MOTUC line, I really can't see a compelling reason to make Josh.
    What makes a character "compelling" enough to be included in an action figure line?
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; February 9, 2011 at 05:42pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost