Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: POP Concept Character "JOSH" for the MOTUC!

No thanks! He is too dull. I don't like his design and I loathe the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    JOSH?!! Are you serious? LOL!

That comic appearance isn't doing him any favors either. I expect the following page to show him and Bow giggling and combing each other's chest hair.
    Yes, I am! And apart from the FACT that it tickles when someone else brushes your chest hair, anyone should agree that giggling would be the normal response.

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    No thanks! He is too dull. I don't like his design and I loathe the name.

But they could add to him, like they've done for others.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I say make Josh. Make Songster. Make Josh into Songster.

Make Josh look a little more like Bow and give him that kick-butt Guitar-AXE and you have songster!

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ictureid=11973

SONGSTER HEROIC MASTER OF SOUND
    This isn't a bad idea. If fans liked it, it could work. I'd rather Josh have a cool last name that is also his nickname, and be amped up with weapons, etc. They could do more with the clothing, too. I like the idea of developing this Josh guy because it is the chance to add another man to the good guy's team (The Great Rebellion).

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    That's the whole reason he seems like a boring choice for a figure. He would need a total overhaul and a 'superhero' name added so would basicaly be a totally different character. That's why it seems kinda pointless.
    Giving him chest armor, weapons, and a nickname/last name would make him a totally different character?

"Pointless" is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I see reason to expand the known story of MOTU and POP by developing little known characters. If you're not for that, then you're not for JOSH. Or any other little known character.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    What you are basically saying is that you want to create a new character and have his real name be Josh as a nod to his one, brief mini-comic appearance. That is cool and all but it doesn't really have a strong chance of happening in Classics as they are not creating new characters.

He isn't a "new" character. He exists already, and can be further developed into something interesting.

But you could do the whole fleshing out thing for pretty much every background character that appeared in the mini-comics and 200X. Not saying theirs anything wrong with that but I don't see why Josh is being singled out for this. The pro Josh debates all revolve around making basically a brand new character so if thats the case why narrow him down to being Josh who is just a random background filler.
    Personally im not interested in dozens of toys of nobodys that appear in the background here and there.
    Some people ARE interested. the "fleshing out thing" worked really well for the universe of STAR WARS. And if they weren't already doing this with the line, I wouldn't be suggesting Josh.

And, "Josh" is being singled out (on this thread) because he is:

A. A muscular, heroic type guy.
    B. A Rebellion Member.
    C. A chance for a second male on the Rebellion team.
    D. A chance to add to the story by developing new dynamics.
    E. A chance to expand the POP universe.

Quote Originally Posted by LostIt2Bostik View Post
    Aren't there enough men in the lines combined? Do we really need yet another slot going to a male figure with no superpowers or weapons, named rather univentively, 'Josh'? This line needs more women and not men and to commit another POP slot to a male figure when Casta, Frosta, and Peeka still aren't adorning my bedroom walls is a travesty + tragedy = trajesty.
    1. ANY figure that gets released before your favorites are keeping you from them.

2. There are key characters within this line that do not possess any special superpowers, but they were given weapons, a job, and in some cases a good name.

3. So it's not about POP, but about girl figures in general? I'm fond of the story potential first and foremost. New and undiscovered characters help that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Give me Strobo (who I don't want) and Songster (who I do want) before you give me Josh. And I think POP fans would be MOST against having him made when there are so many other POP figures that are more wanted, more deserving, more well known and just plain cooler and more interesting than him.
    What if all the POP characters get released? Would it be okay to develop Josh then? Because they are saying they want to get to all of them within the time frame. There isn't one being "dropped" in favor of this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    In the old line (Pop mini comics) I have "Josh" pegged as bow`s love interest Unless this guy is dead last I don`t want to see him in MOTUC
    Because you think he's gay? Why? Because he wore purple? Or because he stood next to Bow in some panels? Josh was a mini-comic character originally invented to be a child-girl-friendly adult male who is depicted as a kind friend to the women that the child is identifying with when viewing the comic. And because we are taking characters intended to appeal to children and giving them more serious bios and stories, why not a "Josh"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    As much as I love and support POP in the MOTUC line, I really can't see a compelling reason to make Josh.
    What makes a character "compelling" enough to be included in an action figure line?
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; February 9, 2011 at 05:42pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

What makes a character compelling enough? Looking cool, having a cool power, an interesting back story. All the things Josh doesn't have lol.
    I actually don't have a problem with them making Josh if enough people want him, I just don't see the interest in some random dude who appeared in the background and did nothing. We have loads of male characters already anyway, if anything we need more women!
    Yes you could make up a backstory for him and new costume etc but why would you? He's just some guy who went on a pinic. He didn't do or say anything to make him seem like a possibly interesting character.
    Last edited by Rodster6; February 9, 2011 at 06:41pm.

What makes a character compelling enough? Looking cool, having a cool power, an interesting back story. All the things Josh doesn't have lol.....

....We have loads of male characters already anyway, if anything we need more women!

Yes you could make up a backstory for him and new costume etc but why would you?
    Because it would be cool to get another guy in the Great Rebellion. As others have stated, there are tons of male characters already. But only one Etherian male rebel: Bow. This early staged character "Josh" is a chance for a second guy. And no, he doesn't have to be perceived gay because he wore purple and was created in a little girl's fantasy story.

"Cool" is in one's opinion. I favor the human characters in the MOTUC line above the monsters and humanoids. For example, I think Vikor and Bow are far "cooler" than King Hsss or Sy-Klone. Keldor is a cooler character to me than Mer-Man. It's just my opinion of what is cool to me. If Josh were drawn as a scrawny, ugly little man I'd personally not see much potential in him. But he was drawn idealistically; his appearance matches the muscle of all the other guys in the line. And he's supposed to be in the Great Rebellion. And to borrow an idea of him from the actual mini-comic (which I admit is lacking in depth), he is on a casual foursome date, paired with Glimmer.

Yes, the line needs more women! Because "Josh" falls under the headline of POP, some are seeing this idea as a delay or cancellation of another POP character. Not true!

Mattel is developing characters from existing media they have the rights to. In some cases, this means they take a sketch from a filing cabinet found in the basement at Mattel Inc. and can give it a bio and a compelling story, turn the sketch over the 4 Horsemen, and in a short time there is an exciting new character.

I get that this guy Josh was only a guy on a picnic, but I've singled him out because he is a chance to get another human heroic male character from Etheria. Apply said ingredients, throw in his mini-comic, and push the "puree" button. The idea has loads of potential!
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; February 9, 2011 at 08:13pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    JOSH?!! Are you serious? LOL!

That comic appearance isn't doing him any favors either. I expect the following page to show him and Bow giggling and combing each other's chest hair.
    You sir have won this conversation.

Mods please lock this thread.

Well, if you're going off the basis of fleshing out the PoP universe, wouldn't there be far more important characters to get to, before Josh. Just for arguments sake, you only get 3 or 4 new PoP figures a year, factor out the amount already existing figures you'd have to make, there aren't that many slots left. Wanting Josh is like saying, "I want the harp player in the bar." This isn't Star Wars, where every onscreen character can get made.

And really, was the all bold response necessary? It comes across as yelling, and childish.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    This! I've accepted the fact that PoP is included with this line, but this has to be one of the more absurd requests I've heard. What would he come with, a picnic basket and Barbra Streisand records? He does look like he could use the non-mustached head of Mr. Reccula though.

But to those of you who want him, I wish you good luck with that one, I wouldn't buy him, but then there are a lot of MOTUC figures I wouldn't buy.
    I don't really think he's absurd. I mean...his look is very similar to that of Prince Adam, except Josh has more of a "commoner" look. Both share their purples and such.

Wanting Josh is no more absurd than wanting Green Goddess, Geldor, Lodar, that creepy monster thing that looks like it could re-use the Gygor body, etc.

I want Josh and I want a backstory for him which explains how/why he joined the Rebellion and why he's so important to Adora, Bow and Glimmer. It's been killing me all these years!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Well, if you're going off the basis of fleshing out the PoP universe, wouldn't there be far more important characters to get to, before Josh. Just for arguments sake, you only get 3 or 4 new PoP figures a year, factor out the amount already existing figures you'd have to make, there aren't that many slots left. Wanting Josh is like saying, "I want the harp player in the bar." This isn't Star Wars, where every onscreen character can get made.
    Exactly. Without the Filmation rights, there may only be 22 or so PoP characters to make in total - but at three a year, that's still over seven years!

[For the people who really, really want him, though, I like the idea of merging him with Songster]

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I want a backstory for him which explains how/why he joined the Rebellion and why he's so important to Adora, Bow and Glimmer. It's been killing me all these years!

"You're kidding, right?"

And really, was the all bold response necessary? It comes across as yelling, and childish.

Okay, three things:

Fleshing out the POP universe: besides the 80's POP dolls, Kowl, Lookee, and the prototype Star Sisters, there is little if anything else non-Horde related that Mattel can add. Josh is one of the extreme few. Correct me if I'm wrong. Can you name another POP heroic character from any non-Filmation media?

Star Wars: Many fans, and not just me, are interested in collecting rare appearance characters. The line is already producing a few. You are right that the line will probably never be as vast as Star Wars (what will?) but there are fans who have dreamed of characters that never got a figure. This isn't an "All Stars" MOTU action figure line. We're getting figures from all eras, from all corners!

In response to my "yelling": I wasn't yelling. I hadn't had time, until this afternoon, to respond to the many statements that I wanted to respond to. I wanted to do it all at once, and the post was very long. I just wanted my responses to visually "pop" within the posting. Also, I keep having to re-iterate my points over and over again because many fans stop by simply to poop on my idea and leave without reading or considering what I'm trying to say. I hoped to make my responses noticed. Sorry if I offended you or anyone! Wait, am I allowed to use an exclamation mark, or is that too harsh?

Incidentally, I've seen some very homophobic remarks made all over this thread and I've taken it very kindly, although it is personally insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    You sir have won this conversation.

Mods please lock this thread.
    You agreed with a homophobic remark and asked the mods to silence my discussion? If you don't like a thread topic, you aren't obligated to post. But thanks for stopping by.
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; February 10, 2011 at 01:07am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    "You're kidding, right?"
    No, I'm serious, Bobzilla.

I always wanted to know who he was, what he was about, why he was so important to the main characters and the Rebellion. Just, so many questions.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

No, I'm serious, Bobzilla.

I always wanted to know who he was, what he was about, why he was so important to the main characters and the Rebellion. Just, so many questions.
    Lord knows you had little else to consider in regards to POP! There really wasn't enough media for it.

I always wanted characters that I saw in the mini-comics. I think lots of us thought there might be figures of all the characters one day. I was missing so many good guys in my youth, that now it's my main collecting focus.

I think Josh could be really cool! Just gotta let Mattel create something for him, and we might one day have a "new" Rebellion member to add to the ranks!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    I always wanted characters that I saw in the mini-comics. I think lots of us thought there might be figures of all the characters one day. I was missing so many good guys in my youth, that now it's my main collecting focus.
    Yeah. This may sound funny, but my first mini-comic was the one that came with Mermista and I wanted her fish so I could play the circus part of the story with Catra as the ringmaster.

Yeah. This may sound funny, but my first mini-comic was the one that came with Mermista and I wanted her fish so I could play the circus part of the story with Catra as the ringmaster.
    I've never read that one!

"The Obelisk" was the one that survived around my house the longest, so I read it the most. I always wanted figures of all the monsters that crawled out of it.

I had another that had panels with Randor and Marlena. They were childhood "must haves" that sadly never came to pass for me. I never even had Teela, Duncan, or Orko!

Bitter? YEP!

I still dont get the comparison with Green Goddess, Geldor, Lodar, Shadow Beast etc. All of those characters actually did something and/or visually looked interesting.
    Yes Josh looks similar to Adam. But Adam turns into He-man! Adam isn't just some guy who went on a picnic.
    I know he could be expanded on but their isn't any base to start with so it would be starting from scratch. You may as well just make a totally new character. That's why I don't understand it being such a big deal to anyone that Josh is bothered with.

[B]
    What makes a character "compelling" enough to be included in an action figure line?
    For me, compelling means either visually interesting (which, for me, Josh does not satisfy), a cool name (which, for me, Josh does not satisfy), or a meaningful contribution to the story and narrative - which Josh also does not satisfy. Could the story in the mini comic have been told without Josh there at all? I would say yes. He doesn't contribute to the plot in any sort of meaningful way, beyond being a visual prop. He's not given any background or any personality. He's a cypher.

Being a cypher work for Gy-Gor, but Gy-Gor also had a compelling name and a visually interesting design. Gy-Gor also had the benefit of being under the vintage MOTU line, and based on a toy design that was from the Big Jim line that the figures of vintage Battle-Cat and Zoar were from. Gy-Gor had more connections to the most popular faction of the MOTUC line - vintage MOTU.

Sadly, Josh does not have those advantages. Would I buy a Josh figure? Absolutely! Do I think they'll make one? I think we'll see Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, Octavia, Seahawk, and Madame Razz & Broom before we see Josh. From the way Mattel marketed Bow, an actual warrior, they were really afraid he wouldn't sell. They even broke their little rule about displaying characters in packaging the way their vintage figures were displayed by displaying Bow's new "target" chest symbol for his armor in package, as opposed to his vintage heart, because they seem to be so afraid of POP not selling. They've demonstrated many times over a lack of confidence in POP. Do I like it? No. but that is the way it is.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Dudes ... seriously? "Josh?" Wow.

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I say make Josh. Make Songster. Make Josh into Songster.

Make Josh look a little more like Bow and give him that kick-butt Guitar-AXE and you have songster!

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ictureid=11973

SONGSTER HEROIC MASTER OF SOUND
    ok, i was against josh, until i read this post. it's genius! i totally support this idea. it's brilliant really.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Come on people. We knew nothing about Gygor except that he was a lemon-lime ape that thinks he's a reverse Dominatrix. He wears the black leather and He-Man rides him.

The only story he had, Mattel changed.

Josh is more complete and was readily available in the 80's (as in, people actually saw him in the minicomic as opposed to reading a couple sentences about him in Roger Sweet's book a few years ago).

Cheif Carnivus had almost no backstory, so Mattel created one. Vikor (aka He-Man concept 1) got a fully fabricated backstory as will Demo-Man (if we ever get him...which we probably will...). Fighting Foe Men...need I go on?

The point is, sure, Josh didn't do anything spectacular in his appearance, but from the little we know, he is an important character (for reasons I already explained). He could even be the Red Knight. I find it kind of insulting saying that Josh is lame but the "hurts the eyes to directly look at him" Gorilla is awesome...or that all the dropped concepts are awesome.

At least Josh actually made it to official media the first time around and is a unique enough character. He wasn't pitched as "what if we take this old toy and colour it all crazy-like?"

I don't think it's really a question of legitimacy, Darkspector.
    At least, not for most people... (plus, Gygor got his share of complaints on that end, too)

It's a question of being a cool figure.
    While, yes, they could drum up a "cool" backstory/bio for him...
    That doesn't make him anything more than a plain dude in a plain outfit with a picnic basket for accessories.

And changing that to a guy with cool armor/weapons/etc who's name is Josh?
    Well, that isn't really the same thing.
    That's just making up a new character and saying "he looks like a Josh".
    Bill :: guitargod694

Okay, three things:

Fleshing out the POP universe: besides the 80's POP dolls, Kowl, Lookee, and the prototype Star Sisters, there is little if anything else non-Horde related that Mattel can add. Josh is one of the extreme few. Correct me if I'm wrong. Can you name another POP heroic character from any non-Filmation media?

Star Wars: Many fans, and not just me, are interested in collecting rare appearance characters. The line is already producing a few. You are right that the line will probably never be as vast as Star Wars (what will?) but there are fans who have dreamed of characters that never got a figure. This isn't an "All Stars" MOTU action figure line. We're getting figures from all eras, from all corners!

In response to my "yelling": I wasn't yelling. I hadn't had time, until this afternoon, to respond to the many statements that I wanted to respond to. I wanted to do it all at once, and the post was very long. I just wanted my responses to visually "pop" within the posting. Also, I keep having to re-iterate my points over and over again because many fans stop by simply to poop on my idea and leave without reading or considering what I'm trying to say. I hoped to make my responses noticed. Sorry if I offended you or anyone! Wait, am I allowed to use an exclamation mark, or is that too harsh?

Incidentally, I've seen some very homophobic remarks made all over this thread and I've taken it very kindly, although it is personally insulting.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, I thought it came across as yelling, I apologize if I was mistaken.

And in regards to the Star Wars thing, I'm just trying to look at the big picture. But as someone who is new to PoP, I realize now that there isn't that much media outside of the Filmation cartoon (which, btw, is really all I know about She-Ra.) So if there really isn't that much more character-wise out there that's not Filmation, then ok, I can see the need/desire for a Josh. But aren't there any other more visually interesting characters from the mini-comics you'd want more than Josh? I mean, he really is venturing into 'Ice Cream Maker Guy' territory, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    I don't think it's really a question of legitimacy, Darkspector.
    At least, not for most people... (plus, Gygor got his share of complaints on that end, too)

It's a question of being a cool figure.
    While, yes, they could drum up a "cool" backstory/bio for him...
    That doesn't make him anything more than a plain dude in a plain outfit with a picnic basket for accessories.

And changing that to a guy with cool armor/weapons/etc who's name is Josh?
    Well, that isn't really the same thing.
    That's just making up a new character and saying "he looks like a Josh". lol
    Well, I don't want him all changed up. Cool bio/backstory, a few weapons like a sword and a pitchfork. I mean, there ARE people who wanted random Filmation villagers. Josh is sort of like that, but a major part of the Rebellion.

So if there really isn't that much more character-wise out there that's not Filmation, then ok, I can see the need/desire for a Josh. But aren't there any other more visually interesting characters from the mini-comics you'd want more than Josh? I mean, he really is venturing into 'Ice Cream Maker Guy' territory, IMO.
    There are a few PoP mini-comics characters, but not many:

- Josh
    - Wise Old Wizardess
    - The Voice of the Unknown (both are Sorceress-like characters)
    - Catra's Catmen
    - Catra's Catbirds
    - Catra's Phantoms
    - Catra's Sea Serpents
    - A couple Crystal Horses that weren't named and only shown in 1 or 2 images
    - Gremlin She-Ra turns into a Butterfly
    - "Dreadful Dragoness" She-Ra turns into a Dragonfly
    - Random people without names in the "Don't Rain On My Parade!" comic
    - Mermista's fish friends and seal. A little octopus and some clams are also in the comic, but not important

So...out of mini-comic characters that have names, Josh is 1 of 3.

I'll post pictures of all these characters.

Josh:

Wise Old Wizardess:

The Voice of the Unknown:

Catra's Catmen:

Catra's Catbirds:

Catra's Phantoms:

Catra's Sea Serpents:

Nameless Crystal Horses:

Gremlin:

Dragoness:
    Last edited by Darkspecter; February 10, 2011 at 03:11pm.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    I mean, there ARE people who wanted random Filmation villagers. Josh is sort of like that, but a major part of the Rebellion.
    major adj: Of great significance or importance.
    trivial adj: Of little or no sigificance; of interest only to those highly enamoured of the subject

He's an extra who got a (first) name. THAT'S IT! In no way does a one-off background character in an obscure minicomic qualify as "a major part of the Rebellion".

[And no, "he could be if Mattel wanted to make him so" is not a valid response. By that logic, I could say Barbie is a major part of the Rebellion.]

Granita would be a cool addition to the Great Rebellion. I know it's not a male character but id like to see her filling out there ranks. I like the idea of Snout Spout and the other rock warriors being rebel members too as they were in the cartoon. I hope they somehow work that into their bios, that they at least used to be rebel members before travelling to Eternia. That and Snout Spout originally being an Etherian Peasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    major adj: Of great significance or importance.
    trivial adj: Of little or no sigificance; of interest only to those highly enamoured of the subject

He's an extra who got a (first) name. THAT'S IT! In no way does a one-off background character in an obscure minicomic qualify as "a major part of the Rebellion".

[And no, "he could be if Mattel wanted to make him so" is not a valid response. By that logic, I could say Barbie is a major part of the Rebellion.]
    First, the mini-comic is not "obscure." It was packaged with Starburst She-Ra, who is probably the most available of any PoP figures and she had two variants. First body and second, slimmer, ball jointed head version.

Also, he's not trivial. He's one of two men in the Great Rebellion. You know how people went by the original MOTU mini-comics for the story and pretend Filmation doesn't exist, or even hate it?

Well, if you did that, the following are the Great Rebellion:

-Adora/She-Ra and Spirit/Swiftwind
    -Bow and Arrow
    -Glimmer
    -Angella
    -Kowl
    -Frosta
    -Castaspella
    -Double Trouble (the double agent)
    -Sweet Bee and Crystal Sundancer
    -Peekablue and Crystal Moonbeam
    -Netossa
    -Spinnerella
    -Loo-Kee
    -Mermista
    -Josh

Also, Josh may have made a second mini-comic appearance:

He's the flautist. He's not named, so you never know.

Josh is important enough to be brought to a special picnic to relax with the top 3 members of the Great Rebellion and he's their close friend. Yeah, he's just random villager # 6. Come on. We didn't learn much about him, but he's obviously important and not trivial. Gygor is trivial. Just a random "we can make money on this" throwaway character that got...wait for it...thrown away.

EDIT: I ran out of picture space above, here's the rest:

Mermista's fish:

Mermista's seal friend:

Octopus and clams:

Random villagers:

That's everyone/thing that's living. There are two unique vehicles: Bow's Butterfly mobile (think a green Batwing) and this viking sailboat they use to traverse a snowy wasteland:

The "Bow"wing:

Viking Sailboat:

Last edited by Darkspecter; February 10, 2011 at 03:30pm.

I don't think the mini-comic writters put that much thought into Josh being so important that he was allowed to go on a picnic with Adora, Bow and Glimmer. I think they just wanted two boys and two girls on the picnic. Just because he went on a picnic with them doesn't mean he was someone really special, couldn't he just be one of many random friends they have or are they really snobby about who they picnic with lol.