Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: POP Concept Character "JOSH" for the MOTUC!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Maybe Josh is really the Red Knight?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Josh? He doesn't really do anything, does he? No special powers. No crazy weapon. No hokey/catchy name. I wouldn't want him myself BUT, as long as he's not part of the subscription, I don't see why not. Maybe towards the end of the line.
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    he is basically random villager #7.
    Exactly!!!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

In the old line (Pop mini comics) I have "Josh" pegged as bow`s love interest Unless this guy is dead last I don`t want to see him in MOTUC

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Maybe Josh is really the Red Knight?
    Hey .... that would a possibility to pimp his dimension

... just 2 things are against ...

1- IMO the magic of Red Knight relates on his secret identity

2- Just imagine the reaction of the collectors if Mattel decides to put him out ....

RED KNIGHT
    Fearless And Lonesome Warrior Of The Dark Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Colton View Post
    Hey .... that would a possibility to pimp his dimension

... just 2 things are against ...

1- IMO the magic of Red Knight relates on his secret identity

2- Just imagine the reaction of the collectors if Mattel decides to put him out ....

RED KNIGHT
    Fearless And Lonesome Warrior Of The Dark Woods
    I'd be okay with it! We're led to believe it's Glimmer's father in the show...but...he's trapped on Horde World at the time. Who else are they close to who it would be a big shocker reveal when he announces who he is? Josh!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

I'm kind of amazed that so many people are holding tight to their notions that Josh can only be the boring villager. Is anyone even reading the pro-Josh debate postings?
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

I'd be okay with it! We're led to believe it's Glimmer's father in the show...but...he's trapped on Horde World at the time. Who else are they close to who it would be a big shocker reveal when he announces who he is? Josh!
    Of course .... you´re right. I was just thinking strange about the real name stuff ... but after almost every character got a "more or less" adapted name ...

IMO ... the most interesting part of Red Knight was his unkown Identity.
    Last edited by Colton; February 2, 2011 at 02:58pm. Reason: S for N

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    I'm kind of amazed that so many people are holding tight to their notions that Josh can only be the boring villager. Is anyone even reading the pro-Josh debate postings?
    What you are basically saying is that you want to create a new character and have his real name be Josh as a nod to his one, brief mini-comic appearance. That is cool and all but it doesn't really have a strong chance of happening in Classics as they are not creating new characters.

Mattel will be making mini-comic only characters but I doubt they will go for non-speaking background characters with no memorable actions to their credit.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    What you are basically saying is that you want to create a new character and have his real name be Josh as a nod to his one, brief mini-comic appearance. That is cool and all but it doesn't really have a strong chance of happening in Classics as they are not creating new characters.

Mattel will be making mini-comic only characters but I doubt they will go for non-speaking background characters with no memorable actions to their credit.
    I think he means, same design, same name, but fleshing out his story.

Like...

Josh was the only survivor of the Evil Horde's attack on the village of Kasol. When all seemed lost, he came across a blaster pistol, allowing him to take out a guard and pass by undetected disguised in his armour. While he was unable to prevent the tragedy at Kasol, he joined the Great Rebellion and has become one of its most prominent members, often joining Glimmer, Bow and Adora on their missions. His passion, courage and determination is all fueled by what happened that one fateful night. Josh's specialty is strategy and a keen sense of hearing. He can hear sounds from a great distance, allowing him to easedrop on important Horde conversations and plan the Great Rebellion's actions!

I'm not saying it should be that exactly, it's just something I came up with on the spot.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; February 2, 2011 at 03:12pm.

But you could do the whole fleshing out thing for pretty much every background character that appeared in the mini-comics and 200X. Not saying theirs anything wrong with that but I don't see why Josh is being singled out for this. The pro Josh debates all revolve around making basically a brand new character so if thats the case why narrow him down to being Josh who is just a random background filler.
    Personally im not interested in dozens of toys of nobodys that appear in the background here and there.

Aren't there enough men in the lines combined? Do we really need yet another slot going to a male figure with no superpowers or weapons, named rather univentively, 'Josh'? This line needs more women and not men and to commit another POP slot to a male figure when Casta, Frosta, and Peeka still aren't adorning my bedroom walls is a travesty + tragedy = trajesty.
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"

As much as I love and support POP in the MOTUC line, I really can't see a compelling reason to make Josh. He's not very visually interesting. He didn't make a meaningful contribution to the story he was in. There's no "cool" factor in his design or story participation to advocate his bid for figuredom. He's not like Lodar or Geldor, who actually played an active part in a story. There's nothing significantly special about Josh besides the fact that he has a name.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be made, but I don't think he ever will be. Look at all the hurdles they've been jumping just to try to convince people to buy Bow, as if they have no real faith in what a cool looking figure he is - and that people have an emotional connection to the character due to his numerous appearances in cartoon episodes, comic issues, books, stickers, coloring books, etc. Josh doesn't even have that much going for him. It would be cool if there were some unused POP prototype characters that we don't know about that they could introduce into the line, but sadly, the joint way in which the She-Ra mythos was created with Filmation, means there probably wasn't anything that Mattel has the rights to use. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I think the Star Sisters, Glory Bird, and the Bubble Carriage are it.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Yes, but when there are SO many other characters who are ALREADY cool and desired, why make a character that is SO obscure and uncared about?

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    There are tons of characters I would like to have before this Josh, no offense. I realize Filmation characters are still off limits, but Seahawk and the Red Knight are WAY more interesting to me then this Josh. I'm okay with new characters being introduced, but I would want a great reason for him to be introduced as a new character.

Heck, even Songster is more interesting to me than "Josh"

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Yes, but when there are SO many other characters who are ALREADY cool and desired, why make a character that is SO obscure and uncared about?
    You mean like Gygor?

Seriously, what I find funny is some people are dead-set against Josh, who was good enough to be included in the original toyline via mini-comic, but are all for characters that have absolutely zero history and only a sketch of a rejected toy idea.

Isn't that a little curious?

You mean like Gygor?

Seriously, what I find funny is some people are dead-set against Josh, who was good enough to be included in the original toyline via mini-comic, but are all for characters that have absolutely zero history and only a sketch of a rejected toy idea.

Exactly, my friend!!

You mean like Gygor?

I'll give you Gygor. He was pretty obscure and I wouldn't have lost any sleep if he never got released, and I don't think there are too many people who would have either. HOWEVER, to describe Josh by saying "who was good enough to be included in the original toyline via mini-comic" is reeeeeeeeeeally stretching it, ya gotta admit! Whereas Gygor did make it to the prototype stage twice, so I think that's making it further than a single appearance in a POP mini-comic (which are not nearly as well known as the MOTU ones), plus he's a giant gorilla with armor and an axe! That IS cooler than any regular dude, period! Seriously, take those two characters side by side and say "Well, both of these guys are equally well known, but one is just a dude with almost no backstory, and one is a giant gorilla with almost no back story, so which one would make a cooler action figure?" Like I said, I wouldn't have lost any sleep if he never got released, but I'm quite pleased to have such a bad a** beast on my shelf!

I'll also say that I'm not all that excited about most mini-comic characters who only had one appearance, like Geldor or Lodar (even though his ties to Zodac are cool and interesting) who do seem to have quite a following. I'm more for characters who had released figures or were in the cartoons.

Gy-gor the giant armoured gorilla and Vikor the barbarian warrior both look alot more interesting and exciting that Josh, She-ras picnic buddy lol. I don't think you can really compare them!
    Lots of characters were 'good enough' to be drawn in the background of mini-comics, doesn't mean they are all good enough to be made toys of.
    Last edited by Rodster6; February 2, 2011 at 06:06pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Josh looks kinda boring asthetically and even the name 'Josh' is pretty boring if he doesn't have some other superhero name to go by. Can't say im desperate for this guy. I really cant understand the appeal. Its not like Vikor who looks very cool and has weapons etc. He just looks like a regular Joe who is on a picnic. No powers, no weapons not even an interesting costume!
    Boring?! Bah! And how could you say Josh looks like a "regular Joe"? That's insulting!!!
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

It would actually be quite funny now if Josh was released as a fighting foe man lol.

It would actually be quite funny now if Josh was released as a fighting foe man lol.
    I'd probably buy two!
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

I want a Rod figure too.

I see Josh as a sub exclusive. I find it hard to believe that anyone (or many people, anyway) would chose to buy or not buy a sub based on the bonus figure. This way, Mattel gets guaranteed sales, and the hardcore, I'll-buy-anything fan is pleased.

For the record, I'd love a Josh figure. I remember reading the comic as a kid and going "who is that? when can I have one?"

I want a Rod figure too.
    Sorry: no armor? No figure! There is no way you can be worthy enough... the yellow screaming ape has got you beat!