Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: POP Concept Character "JOSH" for the MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Why does Josh shirt make him important?
    Bow has no shirt... girls don't pay attention to him. Josh has a shirt AND Potato Salad! What's not to like?
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Interesting to see the discussion is still going on with this character, but, after sifting through it, I still can't see a real possibility of having this character as a figure. mind you, I've been a staunch proponent of introducing thing never before made into the line, and i like what they have done in that regard. To me, few things scream MOTU more than a big yellow and green monkey with battle armor . Unmade guys like He-Ro and Vikor have a place in MOTU history, as does Wundar. And I have no problem with including some of the things that appeared only in the minis, like the Goddess. I hope we get more such things, as they give the line something fresh and new to look forward to. But, in this case, we have a character notable for basically being at a picnic with three established characters, who apparently did little memorable int hat appearance. If he was made, I'd basically only be using him as "third villager from the left He-Man needs to save from big yellow and green monkey with battle armor."

If Mattel were to make some generic viallagers and include him, I'd likely go with that; I've always hated that action figure lines give you no innocent bystanders for the villains to imperil and the heroes to save (at least in the old Mego days, you had Action Jackson, Dinah Mite, Happy Days, Waltons and other "normal folks" to fill that roll). But that's about the only way I could really look at him as being worthy of an actual figure.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I still think that "Josh" should be the name given to another character as his real name. An easy way to go about this would be to create an Etherian Guard two pack. Have him be the Captain of the Guard on Etheria. Put a bonus (recolored) Prince Adam jacket in as an extra, and you can dress Josh up in his civilain attire.

My second choice would be to have him be Snout Spout. Yes, some of you guys hate this, but packing a human head for Snout Spout and calling him Josh could work. Sure he could become the tragic "Beauty and the Beast" type character.... but on the other hand, maybe the metal elephant head is just a fire fighting tool that he wears on duty, and he is still handsome Josh under the mask (fire fighters always get the ladies, you know!) There is no reason Snout Spout has to be a "freak" just because he wears a helmet - it may just be a device he puts on when on duty. Plus, with the human head, it gives you a cool firefighter figure to display.

Looking at the POP mini-comic, Josh comes off as a bit of a layabout. If anything, give the character some purpose. Etheria is a planet ruled by an evil tyrant. I don't want a figure of some privilaged looking guy who enjoys picnics and potato salad, while the rest of the Etherians are fighting for freedom. In other words, give him a job and a purpose!

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...nt_17_full.jpg
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; April 26, 2011 at 02:04pm.

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I still think that "Josh" should be the name given to another character as his real name. An easy way to go about this would be to create an Etherian Guard two pack. Have him be the Captain of the Guard on Etheria. Put a bonus (recolored) Prince Adam jacket in as an extra, and you can dress Josh up in his civilain attire.

My second choice would be to have him be Snout Spout. Yes, some of you guys hate this, but packing a human head for Snout Spout and calling him Josh could work. Sure he could become the tragic "Beauty and the Beast" type character.... but on the other hand, maybe the metal elephant head is just a fire fighting tool that he wears on duty, and he is still handsome Josh under the mask (fire fighters always get the ladies, you know!) There is no reason Snout Spout has to be a "freak" just because he wears a helmet - it may just be a device he puts on when on duty. Plus, with the human head, it gives you a cool firefighter figure to display.

Looking at the POP mini-comic, Josh comes off as a bit of a layabout. If anything, give the character some purpose. Etheria is a planet ruled by an evil tyrant. I don't want a figure of some privilaged looking guy who enjoys picnics and potato salad, while the rest of the Etherians are fighting for freedom. In other words, give him a job and a purpose!

Well I LOVE both of your ideas however...while I agree snout spout should DEFINITELY come with an extra human head (such a good idea!!) I don't want it to be josh!

I like your idea of having a etherian gaurd two pack and having one of them be named Josh and then having an adam vest inside... to me that is the PERFECT scenerio! I think you should ask if something like that is possible in a QandA in fact!

That's why some have suggested a Scarlet Pimpernel/Zorro/Batman approach to Josh.
    Yeah! That's right I called Josh the Etherian Batman... Lose the vest, add an alternate head and armor + The Generic WP sword and Presto! The secret ID! Before anyone groans and mentions: "you're making a brand new character!" The answer is kinda, but the design will be based on Vintage stuff... Josh's extra armor could be based on some of the unused designs that can be seen here:
    MOTU concepts from Tomart Action Figure Digest

It's a Win-Win: Josh fans get Josh and those who would like one of the "generic" knight type figures can get one as well.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Surely an Etherian Guard two-pack should be two females on matrilineal Etheria...

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I like your idea of having a etherian gaurd two pack and having one of them be named Josh and then having an adam vest inside... to me that is the PERFECT scenerio! I think you should ask if something like that is possible in a QandA in fact!
    Done, and done!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    A most elegant solution; everyone gets something they would like. I'd definitely get a set like that.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I like the idea of Josh being the hansom Etherian peasant who gets experimented on and becomes Snout Spout. It would make a good back story for him to be a confident, hansom heroic member of the rebels who ends up as this silly looking freak and has to deal with the effects of that and living with it as well as feelings or wanting vengance on Hordak and feeling ugly and low self esteem.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    chapeau!
    dear sir, you just found the alkahest!

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    I'd be totally on board with this. They could even do a redeco of Bow's harp for him and possibly a new weapon that could be replicated for a Weapons Pack down the road.
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Lots of terrific ideas here!

My point about JOSH is... he's a blank slate. He's another heroic character in the Rebellion that is a dude. There's potential to make more of him than his one appearance lets on. He is not required by any rules to be sculpted just as he appeared in that mini-comic. Look at Bow!

I want to answer some of the criticism regarding Josh, but don't have time at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I can see why POP fans want him. People see Josh in that mini-comic and scoff, but imagine if there was only one sole female in the MOTU line? Then you see another female MOTU character in some media. The fans would probably want that other female.

I realize that Josh looks like a mundane villager, but any writer can make Josh into something. Hell, I bet the 4H and Mattel can turn Josh into a full fledged character, since there's no backstory to challenge.
    This is an EXCELLENT point. MGM reflected my opinion but put it in a way I haven't said before....
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; April 26, 2011 at 08:10pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Well, there is no denying a lot of us want a figure of this lady and she doesn't even have a name.

Thanks to the She-Ra cartoon, Bow won't be the only male member of the Great Rebellion if they don't make Josh. Snout Spout was also a member of the Great Rebellion on the show. I don't Josh to be Snout Spout. I don't want him to be co-opted by a MOTU character. POP deserves its own characters.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Look at Bow!
    Yeah, he was never Kyle the nobleman.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Well, there is no denying a lot of us want a figure of this lady and she doesn't even have a name.
    She's really Teela sent back in time with the cosmic key. Her appearance has been altered by the Sorceress to gain more male readers.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ok/hssgirl.jpg
    This is a good point. Is there a thread for her?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

I'm down with this Josh guy. It would be nice to have another human male in the Rebellion display.

And yes...bring on Seahawk!

**And Octavia!**

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ok/hssgirl.jpg
    Oh, if they make her, I could easily see her sharing parts with Teela. It looks like they both shop at Eternia's Secret.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

I realize that Josh looks like a mundane villager, but any writer can make Josh into something. Hell, I bet the 4H and Mattel can turn Josh into a full fledged character, since there's no backstory to challenge.
    I trust the horsemen to do something cool with him, but I can't say the same for the writers currently working on the bios at mattel...
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    ...but...but... he brought the potato salad!
    Well, that makes all the difference in Etheria!!! Wun-Dar brought the bread. If Josh is bringing the magic potato salad, soon it'll be Masters of the Smorgasbordiverse and/or Princess of Potluck.
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"

What about a $60 Josh boxed set? It will have Picnic Josh, 200x Josh, and Battle Armor Josh.

For me this scene makes her more interesting than Josh. Josh is at a picnic, this chick is for some reason happily lounging at King Hiss' feet, if josh did something that sparked my imagination about him more I think i'd be more interested in him. like the aforementioned Etherian Guard thing. if he were in angella's court, or he was one of the villagers who stood up to the horde in the secret of the sword. yeah we can pretend he was, but we are discussinng him from a mini comic appearance. ferankly I'd rather get one of the villagers that got their energy drained in SOTS to Josh because they did something of note or at least were involved in a scene cooler than a picnic
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    For me this scene makes her more interesting than Josh. Josh is at a picnic, this chick is for some reason happily lounging at King Hiss' feet, if josh did something that sparked my imagination about him more I think i'd be more interested in him. like the aforementioned Etherian Guard thing. if he were in angella's court, or he was one of the villagers who stood up to the horde in the secret of the sword. yeah we can pretend he was, but we are discussinng him from a mini comic appearance. ferankly I'd rather get one of the villagers that got their energy drained in SOTS to Josh because they did something of note or at least were involved in a scene cooler than a picnic
    COME ON. Be honest here, you are interested in the slave girl just because she is sexy, Josh is a guy spending time with his friends and is not sexy, thatīs the the difference.

He is more passionated than her, he helps his friends looking for a missing friend. In real life thatīs quite heroic.
    If you ask me.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LostIt2Bostik View Post
    Well, that makes all the difference in Etheria!!! Wun-Dar brought the bread. If Josh is bringing the magic potato salad, soon it'll be Masters of the Smorgasbordiverse and/or Princess of Potluck.
    Oh....FACE!

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    COME ON. Be honest here, you are interested in the slave girl just because she is sexy, Josh is a guy spending time with his friends and is not sexy, thatīs the the difference.

He is more passionated than her, he helps his friends looking for a missing friend. In real life thatīs quite heroic.
    If you ask me.
    BAM!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Oh yes, you have to LOVE a guy passing potato salad at a picnic over a slave girl lounging at the feet of King Hsss.

Yeah, "Josh" would definitely win that poll.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela