Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: POP Concept Character "JOSH" for the MOTUC!

199 posts and some folks still think Josh shouldn't be made into a figure? Face it, Josh is a hot topic.

i would like him to get a figure!

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    199 posts and some folks still think Josh shouldn't be made into a figure? Face it, Josh is a hot topic.
    A THIRD of which are accounted for by only three posters (Darkspecter, PrinceAdam101 & Rodster6 have 62 of those posts between them).

And not all of those who have posted want him done (to my own surprise, this is my seventh post in this thread - but I could go my whole lifetime without giving a fornicate about seeing a Josh figure).

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Oh yes, you have to LOVE a guy passing potato salad at a picnic over a slave girl lounging at the feet of King Hsss.

Yeah, "Josh" would definitely win that poll.
    Because now it is about whether Josh should be made IN PLACE of the Slave Girl? This isn't a part of the debate.

And for the record, I would be ecstatic about getting that slave girl figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    A THIRD of which are accounted for by only three posters (Darkspecter, PrinceAdam101 & Rodster6 have 62 of those posts between them).

And not all of those who have posted want him done (to my own surprise, this is my seventh post in this thread - but I could go my whole lifetime without giving a fornicate about seeing a Josh figure).
    This is awesome! You cared enough to count up our posts! '

In plain truth, when I started this thread I anticipated that POP fans would be happy to agree and non-POP fans would be dismissive. As you have noted, virtually everyone was against the idea-- at first. But further consideration has yielded some gradual support.
    Nobody is saying this Josh concept character needs to be made right away. But, he would make a nice addition to the Rebellions ranks later on, which is comprised mostly of highly fashionable women. Since Josh's clothing appears plain and open to re-interpretation, they can redesign him to wear almost anything that would help him present himself as more of a warrior.

What non-supportive fans are ignoring is the fact that more can be made of him than just this appearance. He is a nearly blank slate.

Here are his facts:

1. He is a member of the Rebellion (thus hinting he may have a job or talent unseen.)
    2. His first name is Josh, but we don't know his last name or a nickname.
    3. He is a physical equivalent of Bow (in MOTUC, equivalent to all men).
    4. He is a romantic interest for Glimmer (and matches her color scheme).
    5. He is a "good friend" to She-Ra and Adora.
    6. He has no back story to contradict. He is a character that can be developed further into something interesting.*

*So can the Slave Girl. My pro-debate for JOSH would be the same for most underdeveloped characters. The big distinction here is that Josh is a rarity... a chance to get another guy on the Rebellion team.
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; April 27, 2011 at 07:34pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    This is awesome! You cared enough to count up our posts!
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I really love this statement. And it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Allow me to correct myself.

YOU CARED ENOUGH TO CHECK!
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; April 27, 2011 at 07:37pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What does his "caring" mean to Josh getting made?

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    What does his "caring" mean to Josh getting made?
    Tallstar made a statement that the subject of this thread is a "hot topic", implying that fans "care" to post here in favor or disfavor, in gradually higher numbers. In short, Josh is a popular topic.
    Reboot countered the statement by pointing out that I have posted many times (on my own thread subject), suggesting that the statement made by Tallstar is somewhat false. I had posted here 25 times in a 200+ posted thread, and he points to this as evidence disproving that the subject is interesting to people. Yet, he keeps posting in disfavor, and chose to look up statistics on the thread. He also points to DarkSpecter and Rodster as high post counts. Darkspecter is a "pro" opinion, while Rodster is more of an "against" opinion. Even if 2/3 of this thread were comprised of just the three of us debating, Tallstar's statement would still be correct (if only isolated). But lots of people have chimed in and/or participated in the subject.

Reboots' participation and concern for his personal viewpoint, on the topic at hand, only further disproves what he is trying to say. This not an isolated discussion. It is not an unpopular topic.

My two statements about his "caring" were meant to be humorous, not attacking. I'll begin using the expression avatars.
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; April 27, 2011 at 09:30pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    COME ON. Be honest here, you are interested in the slave girl just because she is sexy, Josh is a guy spending time with his friends and is not sexy, thatīs the the difference.

He is more passionated than her, he helps his friends looking for a missing friend. In real life thatīs quite heroic.
    If you ask me.
    Did you not read the second half of my post? If Josh were one of the villagers that the horde drains of energy in SOTS I would be much more interested than I am now. Motu AND PoP for me aren't about picnics or real life heroism they are about the quests the battles and the dressings of such. A joke character based on something fun is welcome (molarr) now and again but 'heroic bringer of potato salad'. Doesn't interest me as much as 'tortured victim of the horde'. Also as I said in a previous post I am not against Josh being made I personally have little interest in seeing it happen. But I won't bemoan it ( though I would really rather have anyone else first.
    Last edited by krosfyah; April 27, 2011 at 09:26pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Did you not read the second half of my post? If Josh were one of the villagers that the horde drains of energy in SOTS I would be much more interested than I am now. Motu AND PoP for me aren't about picnics or real life heroism they are about the quests the battles and the dressings of such. A joke character based on something fun is welcome (molarr) now and again but 'heroic bringer of potato salad'. Doesn't interest me as much as 'tortured victim of the horde'
    *I agree with you. This is why Josh would NEED further development. The facts we know about him are enough for a starting off point (picnic not included) to discover a "new" and interesting characer. He just needs further information and design components.

You need an exciting idea to go along with the figure, or at least something funny that would make him humorous.

Am I correct in understanding that you would NOT like a figure of Josh? What would TG and the 4H have to do with the Josh concept character to make this character appealing for your collection?
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; April 27, 2011 at 09:35pm.

Gygor got a whole new story, so did Wun-Dar and Vikor, so will the eventual Demo-Man release... why can't that be done with Josh?
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Movie mayhem!
    Alot of people want characters seen in packaging art that have no name or story. I dont see how this is any different. If anything we know more about Josh than the wind raider pilot. Pop needs more male characters id rather they take josh and make him into a really cool character than make up a totally new character like theyve talked about

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Gygor got a whole new story, so did Wun-Dar and Vikor, so will the eventual Demo-Man release... why can't that be done with Josh?
    It's true. The concept for Gygor was "Heroic beast that He-Man rides." He's no longer heroic...and I guess He-Man could still ride him, but I wouldn't encourage it.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Speaking from a practical perspective:

Josh should be the male in a male/female "Rebel Warrior" 2-pack.

If we are correct in assuming that She-Ra 2.0 is going to have removable armor, then if we get a female generic "Rebel Warrior," then a "Rebel Warrior" two-pack could come with two sets of female rebel garb, and two sets of male garb.

There could be 2 male heads and 2 female heads.

Heck one set of the make clothes/heads could make "Josh," and one could make a male that looks like a certain "He-Ro'ic" secret identity.

The female could have a head with long red hair (extra Teela head if you don't like POP) and a head with brown hair.

The possibilities are endless. But my point is that, just like the Eternian Guards set, a character like Josh could be mentioned in the bio, just like Clamp Champ and Lt. Spector were mentioned in the Guards' bio.
    D
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

What about a Spirit of Josh figure for SDCC?

I still say make Songster and Josh the same person.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    *I agree with you. This is why Josh would NEED further development. The facts we know about him are enough for a starting off point (picnic not included) to discover a "new" and interesting characer. He just needs further information and design components.

You need an exciting idea to go along with the figure, or at least something funny that would make him humorous.

Am I correct in understanding that you would NOT like a figure of Josh? What would TG and the 4H have to do with the Josh concept character to make this character appealing for your collection?
    Well I didn't care much about buying a Bow figure until I saw him, now I really like him. in fact I think I like the Bow figure more than the PoP fans do!
    So my stance on Josh at the moment is he's the last figure I want to see made, but I won't be angry if he comes out January 2012 (just an arbitrary date) if he looks good despite his backstory I'll buy him. but a cool backstory will help, or as I suggested in the PoP forum if Robot Chicken makes a great sketch with him based on the picnic, it would make the figure more desirable to me. I don't need TG in the equation as a lot of the bios are not my cup of tea, so the horsemen could make me want the figure on their own. but fleshing out the character would help.

To be fair I don't really care about seeing a strobo or Photog either, I'd rather the slave girl or tortured horde villager before them too. but thats my taste and I won't cry foul if they come out before someone I want. this line is supposed to be for all of us fans, not just me.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Speaking from a practical perspective:

Josh should be the male in a male/female "Rebel Warrior" 2-pack.

If we are correct in assuming that She-Ra 2.0 is going to have removable armor, then if we get a female generic "Rebel Warrior," then a "Rebel Warrior" two-pack could come with two sets of female rebel garb, and two sets of male garb.

There could be 2 male heads and 2 female heads.

Heck one set of the make clothes/heads could make "Josh," and one could make a male that looks like a certain "He-Ro'ic" secret identity.

The female could have a head with long red hair (extra Teela head if you don't like POP) and a head with brown hair.

The possibilities are endless. But my point is that, just like the Eternian Guards set, a character like Josh could be mentioned in the bio, just like Clamp Champ and Lt. Spector were mentioned in the Guards' bio.
    D
    This is a really good suggestion. It is marketable, and people would buy two sets. The only issue I see is that the "army builder" would be limited to four (unless they developed helmets or masks as accessories).

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    ok, you guys convinced me. i'm all for josh being a brand new person, maybe glimmer's boyfriend. hopefully he is a prince of some kind.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

His name is Josh...He doesn't have a noticeable power...His name is Josh...He doesn't have some gimmicky action-figure ability...Did I mention that HIS NAME IS JOSH?

At least, Vikor and Oo-Lar sound semi-passable as cool (even though they're not in my most unhumble of opinions). Josh sounds like the kid next door whose parents bought him Omega Supreme or Metroplex while you got Seaspray or Cosmos. That's it!!!! Josh is totally Go-Bot material.

If Josh is gonna get a figure, he better at least be gay. Uh-oh, I mentioned a potential action figure being one of them thar homa-seshuls. You know what that means: Go directly to the Tar Swamp. Do Not Pass GO. Do Not Collect $200!
    Last edited by LostIt2Bostik; April 28, 2011 at 11:10am.
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"

Quote Originally Posted by LostIt2Bostik View Post
    If Josh is gonna get a figure, he better at least be gay. Uh-oh, I mentioned a potential action figure being one of them thar homa-seshuls. You know what that means: Go directly to the Tar Swamp. Do Not Pass GO. Do Not Collect $200!
    I'm a firm believer that a character's sexuality is something that does not need to be discussed in a toy line. To me it's no different than refering to a character by his race ("hey kids, it's asian Ninjor and black Zodak!") I'm not opposed to a character being gay, but it's not necessary to slap that fact on the packaging.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; April 28, 2011 at 11:57am.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I'm a firm believer that a character's sexuality is something that does not need to be discussed in a toy line. To me it's no different than refering to a character by his race ("hey kids, it's asian Ninjor and black Zodak!") I'm not opposed to a character being gay, but it's not necessary to slap that fact on the packaging.
    Characters' sexuality has already been introduced into the line with family lineage - Randor's parentage, He-Man's parentage. Bow's feelings for She-Ra in his bio. Gay people have romance in their lives the same way straight people do. They've already slapped Bow's sexuality on the packaging. At this point, it would only be fair game according to the precedent Mattel has set. Anything else "ghetto-izes" gay relationships and place a lesser value on them compared to straight relationships. They're either equal or not. If they're not, then be honest about it.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

The biggest problem is his name is Josh. Whose going to be his arch nemesis, Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    The biggest problem is his name is Josh. Whose going to be his arch nemesis, Steve?
    Anyone that doesn't like potato salad.
    Or ants.

And yeah, Josh really isn't any worse than Adam... but Adam is a secret identity.
    If Josh had a more "motu" alter-ego, it would be a lot easier to stomach, I think.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    Forgive me for my assumptions but I'm gathering that you, Captain Atkin, are straight. If so, it's very easy for you to make such a statement considering that we live in a heterosexually-dominated society, culture, and world. It's difficult, or perhaps frightening, for heterosexuals to see just how saturated and entrenched our contemporary culture is in heterosexuality. What's that old saying? Don't pass judgement until you've walked in that person's shoes? Yeah, that's the one.

Using your logic, reductio ad absurdum would then dictate that homosexuality is like one's ethnicity and/or race and therefore one certainly could not be both. You've now just managed to eliminate the possibility that anyone of asian and/or african descent cannot possibly be gay. Someone better inform RuPaul then.

Please, think before you type such absurdities.

Now, back to my condemnations of Josh as an action figure; that is, of course, UNLESS he's 'G-A-Y, he don't need an alibi' gay...and has the power of potato salad.
    Last edited by LostIt2Bostik; April 28, 2011 at 04:44pm.
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"