Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (2/2/2011)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (2/2/2011)

NOTE: Due to the New York Toy Fair, there will not be a Mattel Q&A for February 15. MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net will return March 1st.

Kastor's Korner

Kastor's Korner: Catra looks amazing, but that skirt looks mighty form-fitting. The plastic used on the females’ skirts in the past have been inconsistent in flexibility. Will she be able to sit, since she will have to ride Clawdeen? Also, will she have a fun comb weapon like She-Ra? That would be a fun motif to continue!

Matty: Yes, her skirt will be very flexible, more so then past females. And yes, her whip is also her “comb” much like She-Ra’s ax was a comb.

Kastor's Korner: Being a fan yourself, seeing how Whiplash was calculated selling out at 43 minutes, versus Grizzlor selling out at 100 minutes and Buzz-Off at a little over 6 hours, and Green Lantern Classics’ Low and Maash selling well at the moment, are these sufficient metrics to show "upper management" or The Powers That Be that extra heads equal faster sales since people would want two versions to display, or are there more variables that come into play?

Matty: Upper management does not contribute to the decision to include extra heads per figure. This is a decision made at the brand level based on the cost and logistics involved in production of each figure. Extra heads are included when there is a compelling reason to do them. If every figure had an extra head it would dilute the feature.
    Pop Culture Network

1) I was looking at my carded MOTUC collection, admiring some of the poses of the figures in the package. Who is responsible for how the figures are posed inside the blister? Is it another design team, 4 Horsemen or Mattel?

The Mattel package team decides on the pack out, and the direction they’ve been given is to pose the Classics figures in the same way as the character was in the vintage line (at least for now in the online line, we might look into modern poses as a way of refreshing figures if the line ever goes to retail).

2) The PKE didn't sell out instantly like some had feared but it did sell quite well as far as anyone on the outside can tell. Not asking when, not even asking whats next, just wondering if the PKE sales where good enough to warrant more props eventually down the line? We're thinking MOTU...Power Sword, Havok Sataff, Ram Stone, etc...

Yes, the PKE meter was a huge success and has opened the door to other prop replicas down the road. We won’t be doing any blade weapons, but others are possible for different brands.

5) The Orb of Power,although a great accessory to include with King Grayskull,the only possible use it has is to have it cradled in a figure's arms.At some point will we get a Crystal diorama piece to display the orb on?

This is something we have heard a lot on the boards and we will look into finding a way to offer a holder one day. Nothing is planned right now.
    Motucfigures.com

1.) Is the Green Lantern VS Zodac DCUC/ MOTUC 2 pack pictured in Toyfare in it's finalized form? Many fans were hoping that Zodac would feature the gloved hands used on figures like Hordak and Zodak instead of the Skeletor forearms painted white. If this is the finalized version of this figure, why was this mold chosen for the arms?

Yes, this is the final version of the figure as based on early vintage cross sell art. We understand some fans are asking for the “Filmation” version, but that is not what we were going for at this time.

2.) Stratos has just had a new release as part of the DCUC VS MOTUC packs, yet he has a reissue planned for May... while She-Ra (a figure that many folks are missing from their collections) still awaits the reissue treatment. Why was the decision made to push out another Stratos before the more-requested She-Ra reissue?

There are a lot of logistical issues that go into releases that we simply cannot share with the public. We do have more plans for She-Ra, just not yet. We know fans are looking for the behind-the-scenes scoop, but honestly there just isn’t one in this case!

3.) You stated in a recent Q & A that figures going forward will feature the new ankles used on Vikor. Does this pertain to reissues as well, or will those remain the same as their original counterparts? (I for one hope they stay the same, as I would hate to have inferior figures just because I bought them earlier on...)

No, reissues will be straight reissues where we can ask the factory to just turn the machine on again. If a figure needs to be worked on or altered, it requires a “development slot” and we tend to save these slots for new figures.

4.) MOTU Classics has covered just about every era of MOTU now.... except the 1987 movie! Sure, Preternia He-Man has a Cosmic Key, but can fans expect to see one of the three vintage movie figures (Gwildor, Saurod, or Blade) done this year? (Gwildor is my number one most wanted MOTUC figure...)

We do have plans to get to those figures eventually (since they had vintage toys made) but we are not yet ready to reveal when they are coming. Stay tuned!

5.) The DC Comics character Warlord seems like a great fit for the DCUC Vs MOTUC treatment! If for some reason you did manage to get him into these packs, is there any chance he could use a MOTUC buck instead of DCUC parts? This would be a great homage to his vintage counterpart (which shared a very similar body style to vintage Masters figures).

Definitely not. MOTUC buck are proprietary to the MOTU brand and will not be used for other brands. This would make a cool pack however!
    Motucportal.com

1. Is the Catra figure a new sculpt or re-use of the Teela/She-Ra body?

Catra uses some of the existing female parts but we are indeed building up to a new female buck with some parts introduced, one new female figure at a time. The next female figure in the line also utilized a few new parts as well.

2. Is Sy-Clone going to be from the Island of Anwat Gar as seen in the 200x storyline?

Yes.

3. In the promo videos released featuring the behind the scenes of Mo-Larr it appears a DVD was intended to be included. Just wondering why this didn't make the cut?

Cost cutting issues to keep the set at $40.

4. If the Cat form of Catra were to ever be released - would we be looking at something like a re-use of the Battle Cat sculpt or would it be a much smaller, new sculpt?

Likely it would be more of a Cringer size, not Battlecat. We don’t have plans right now for Catra’s Cat form. Maybe one day, as we do know there is a lot of fan demand!

5. Based on the new release schedule Matty posted - lots of re-issues going forward. This is great! Can we expect to see another round of He-Man / Skeletor released this year?

Possible, but they both had a re-release in late 2010, so we will rest them for a little bit.
    Planeteternia.de

1) Since the MotUC vs' DCUC 2-packs still are only available in the US and Canada, international collectors have to pay high prices for them on eBay. Is there any possibility to see the sets or at least those Masters figures on MattyCollector in the future once they ain't available in TRU stores anymore?

Mattel: This is a customized item for Toys 'R' Us and it is up to TRU to distribute them. This is not something Mattel controls. They will not be offered on Mattycollector.com.

2) How will you handle the New Adventures characters that originally had removable helmets? Will their MotU Classics versions feature removable helmets as well, or will they have multiple heads?

Mattel: That remains to be seen. We don't have a set plan and will handle this on a figure-by-figure basis!

3) King Grayskull's Orb of Power is an awesome accessoire, but many collectors have it lying on the ground. Do you have any plans for some kind of stand to place it on?

Mattel: We have heard the fan demand for this and we'll look into finding a way to incorporate some type of stand one day down the road. Nothing is planned right now.

4) All He-Fans read the news about your partnership with THQ and the possibility of a MotU videogame. But what's the real possibility for that? Would it require a movie to see it, or could we expect a new game even without a movie or cartoon?

Mattel: New ways of brining the MOTU brand to consumers is always something we are looking into, but right now a video game is not logistically possible. Maybe one day! We know there is demand and we do have some cool ideas if this ever happens.

5) Many fans are curious about the production process of the figures. We are aware that you can't go to deep into details. But what about some kind of "The Making of a MotU Classics actionfigure" presentation that gives fans a few glimpses from planing stages to actual production? It sure would be fun to see a pic of Toyguru observing the production sample for shortcomings!

Mattel: This is indeed something we are looking at doing on Mattycollector.com. Right now we are working on shoring up the buying process. Once that is working 100% we will look into these types of "Insider's Looks" for sure!
    Hordak.de

1. If and when you get to the Mini Comic character Granamyr, will he rather be scaled down like Tytus was or will he be taller and more expensive(more than 40 $)?

He would likely be larger then Tytus and would retail for more.

2. After King Hssss got a second torso, would this also be an option for Snake Face? His arms could be removable like on Trap Jaw/ Optikk.

Certainly possible. He will be an interesting figure to tackle and might be a good candidate for a second head with his snakes revealed!

3. Since the question was misread last time: Is Dread Tread a beast or a vehicle?

It is a vehicle.

4. If the first vehicle will be a success (any doubts?), are vehicles from all eras planned?

Right now we do not have any vehicles past the first 2011 item planned.

5. Are the New Adventures variants of Hydron, Flogg, Hoove and Flipshot considered A-List (quaterly) Variants?

Yes. This slot is more about “figure variants of previously released characters” as opposed to “A-list character variants” in the long run. There’s nothing planned for these variants now
    Figures.com

It has been a good while since we have heard any news regarding the Masters of the Universe film? Do you have any updates to share with us?

Not right now. We know fans want news and as soon as we have some to share, we will!

In regards to other Caligar characters, such as Cerratus who was not in the Filmation cartoon, would his figure still have the retro look that Whiplash has or would the figure be more closely based on the MYP design with minor classics elements such as furry shorts etc.?

If we did Cerratus from the 2002 series he would be Classic-ized much as Marzo and Carnivus are.

Will the production units for Panthor be doubled in comparison to that of the initial Battle Cat release?

Sorry, we can't comment on any specifics about production runs of any figure.

Have you ever considered producing a decorative carrying case for the MOTUC or Ghostbusters toy lines?

This is something we have looked at but with the limited resources we have for collector lines, right now we are putting all of our energy into making the figures as great as possible.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The sites listed below are the sites who want to participate in the Q&A round-up in these threads and on the He-Man.org homepage news entry.
    Be sure to check out their sites! There's a lot there to see in addition to the Q&As.

http://www.planeteternia.de/
    http://www.popculturenetwork.com/
    http://www.figures.com/
    http://www.superherotimes.com/
    http://www.kastorskorner.com/
    http://experiencethewonder.com
    http://www.motucportal.com/
    http://www.hordak.de
    http://www.maitresdelunivers.org/
    http://www.poeghostal.com/
    www.kittyspryde.com
    http://www.infinitehollywood.com/
    http://www.motucfigures.com/
    http://www.he-man.de/

All other sites haven't gotten back to us yet about participating, or have asked not to be included which we completely understand and respect.
    So, please do not post the actual questions and answers from any site not listed above.
    But you are welcome to post a direct link to their Q&A, and discuss the info here in this thread.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; February 2, 2011 at 12:11pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

So in other words that whole thing about 200X heads was really about trying to get as many variants sold as possible throughout the life of the line, AND that was decided by Toyguru?

Anyway.....

Very very happy to hear about the soft plastic for Catra's clothes!!
    Last edited by bcrduke; February 2, 2011 at 05:07am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    So in other words that whole thing about 200X heads was really about trying to get as many variants sold as possible throughout the life of the line, AND that was decided by Toyguru?
    Hmmm...that's something I didn't think of reading that answer. I guess that's a "to be continued" discussion topic right there!

I like the answer about the orb of power stand possibility.

...and everyone wants a Power Sword. It doesn't have to be made of steel. I mean, come on...they had one at SDCC and almost every company makes solid plastic swords. A nicely painted, solid plastic sword could be awesome if done right.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I guess the brand level was responsible for limiting regular heads, while upper management is responsible for doing away with the 200X heads.

I do agree with you...it's all about selling more variants from those heads. I wonder why they don't do the variant idea with the regular heads?

Waitaminute!
    I had to reread this a few times because I just woke up and I wanted to make sure I'm reading it right:

The Mattel package team decides on the pack out, and the direction they’ve been given is to pose the Classics figures in the same way as the character was in the vintage line
    Hum, the figures in the vintage line were posed ALL the same- Actually they weren't really posed, they were just put in packaging face up, no limbs movement or any weapons in hand.
    So, I don't really get what the answer means? So is packaging team not following the direction they've been given? (if they did, the figures should't be posed in the bubble)?
    Or someone forgot the character were all "posed" the same in the vintage line?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Interesting answer on the Stratos/She-Ra answer. At least they didn't give the over-used "if you wanted a She-Ra, you could have picked one up at SDCC. We had plenty left over."

It is a bit odd though. Arguably the most boring/plain figure in the line will have been availabe 4 times now (1 as a repaint) and She-Ra only once!

Are Stratos' wings at least going to be corrected in May (i.e. no glue)?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Hum, the figures in the vintage line were posed ALL the same- Actually they weren't really posed, they were just put in packaging face up, no limbs movement or any weapons in hand.
    So, I don't really get what the answer means? So is packaging team not following the direction they've been given (if they did they figures should't be posed in the bubble)?
    Or someone forgot the character were all "posed" the same in the vintage line?

Oh, Emiliano, it's all "just like you remember!"

Just like Webstor

I noticed this comment and laughed. I thought, "uhm, interesting"

Honestly, this sounds like maybe an intern answer, from an intern who might not be familiar with the fact that vintage figures were almost universally packed in neutral poses.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Nice answer on Catra's outfit! Evil-Lyn's was pretty damn flexible, so if Catra's is EVEN MORE flexible than that...wow!

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Honestly, this sounds like maybe an intern answer, from an intern who might not be familiar with the fact that vintage figures were almost universally packed in neutral poses.
    Not really surprising - TG's said in the past that he doesn't write the answers to these. I think whoever wrote the answer misread a guidance note - the spiel about the choice of heads/accessories packaged on the figure (e.g. She-Ra's head, Grizzlor's loincloth) we've had before.

How come we could get toy powerswords in the old lines aimed at kids, but they wont do one in a collectors line for adults?

Unless there's a genuine issue with posting swords, even if they're plastic?

Wondering how Catra's whip comb will work? I'm assuming the handle will be a comb
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Motucfigures.com
    You stated in a recent Q & A that figures going forward will feature the new ankles used on Vikor. Does this pertain to reissues as well, or will those remain the same as their original counterparts? (I for one hope they stay the same, as I would hate to have inferior figures just because I bought them earlier on...)

No, reissues will be straight reissues where we can ask the factory to just turn the machine on again. If a figure needs to be worked on or altered, it requires a “development slot” and we tend to save these slots for new figures.
    This is the biggest piece of crap I think I’ve ever heard from Matty. The original boots are total crap since most of them end up with floppy ankles. Mattel seriously will continue to produce figures using a flawed mold when a better mold exists? Really? My Prince Adam was a total crapfest and I was hoping he would eventually be released with the Vikor boots. I swear that comment made me madder than the infamous Battle Cat sellout scandal.

Mattel. In case you are worried about confusion at the manufacturing plant I think I have an idea that would prevent confusion about the 2 different boot molds. Take the old molds and throw them out. Only one mold left. No confusion. Problem solved. And then you won’t look like total jerks for knowingly selling flawed merchandise.

Mattel, don’t ever get into the automobile making business. I’d hate to see you knowingly make a car that catches on fire but that you can’t correct because of “logistics” or because you don’t have an available “development slot” to prevent the car from catching on fire.

Sorry guys. Rant over.
    Last edited by FAKER II; February 2, 2011 at 07:43am.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior
    Just sent the hordak.de Q&A over to MGM... Interesting answers this time...Granamyr would be more than 40 $, Dread Tread is a vehicle, but there is only one vehicle planned so far. And the quarterly variants won't necessarily be only A-Listers until the end of the line...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Are Stratos' wings at least going to be corrected in May (i.e. no glue)?
    I'm pretty sure that they aren't. We've been given the answer that re issues will be the exact same, just turn the machine on again. Don't know how it's easier to turn on the machine and add glue then not add glue but that's the answer we've been given.

Quote Originally Posted by MoViEfReAk View Post
    Just sent the hordak.de Q&A over to MGM... Interesting answers this time...Granamyr would be more than 40 $...
    We already knew that, didn't we? I'm sure it was said way back when he was first confirmed as doable that he'd be $60.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    Don't know how it's easier to turn on the machine and add glue then not add glue but that's the answer we've been given.
    Depends entirely on what the contract says. Remember, Mattel outsource the manufacturing to a company in China, they don't actually own any factories. So if their contract says they have to pay $XYZ for *any* physical change to a toy when they do a new run on top of the cost of the actual changes themselves (even if the latter is negligable), well, that's yer "development slot"...

Updated with 4 new Q&A's!

NOTE: Due to the New York Toy Fair, there will not be a Mattel Q&A for February 15. MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net will return March 1st.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; February 2, 2011 at 12:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    Mattel. In case you are worried about confusion at the manufacturing plant I think I have an idea that would prevent confusion about the 2 different boot molds. Take the old molds and throw them out. Only one mold left. No confusion. Problem solved. And then you won’t look like total jerks for knowingly selling flawed merchandise.

Isn't that what they did with the old half-sword mold? I thought they said all reissues would come with the new half-sword type. So, why can't they do this with the boots?
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Catra uses some of the existing female parts but we are indeed building up to a new female buck with some parts introduced, one new female figure at a time. The next female figure in the line also utilized a few new parts as well.
    Could the next one be...Bikini Teela?

Fwoosh's Q&A says that there will be at least 4 new MOTUC figures at NYTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    Isn't that what they did with the old half-sword mold? I thought they said all reissues would come with the new half-sword type. So, why can't they do this with the boots?
    They might. It's been done before with the pelvic piece - if they literally retooled the existing boots to make the Vikor version, they definitely will. I think this is one to wait'n'see on, rather than take the word of a PR guy with some guidance notes who may have misread the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Nope, Sorceress

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Nope, Sorceress
    We'd probably see 200X Evil-Lyn or BBT before the Sorceress.
    Her high popularity is her undoing as she's being held for ransom...

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    More likely, it's Queen Marlena, who would require a host of new parts - moreso that BBT, I imagine.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Nope, Sorceress
    Or maybe even Veena!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    We'd probably see 200X Evil-Lyn or BBT before the Sorceress.
    Her high popularity is her undoing as she's being held for ransom...
    Considering they said they are building up to a new female buck a few parts at a time, I`m almost 100% positive it won`t be BBT, possibly 200X Evil Lyn but I don`t see her needing any new (universal female parts) When they say new parts I`m thinking like a long sleeve forearm for females, maybe an attachment piece for wings or something along those lines.