Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What rank is duncan (man-at-arms)?

What rank is duncan (man-at-arms)?

we know that teela is captain, spector is a leuitenant, andra is a leuitenant, but is it ever mentioned what rank duncan holds in any of the canon besides the title of man-at-arms?

I always thought he was a side thing. Man-At-Arms is a weapons man, a leader (if need be), a fighter, and anything else that is needed of him. Jack of all trades, I guess.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

"Master at Arms" is the title, I believe. Basically in charge of everyone, and he probably has a fair bit of autonomy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    "Master at Arms" is the title, I believe. Basically in charge of everyone, and he probably has a fair bit of autonomy as well.
    This is my thought as well, if not Master at Arms then General.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither

Yeah I agree with the last two post's, "Master at Arms" is his rank/title.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Yea his title is man at a arms. Well when rancor was captain he was still man at a arms. So it would be king captain,general then Duncan then teela
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

thank you for this thread, I asked this question on another and no one answered.

Wikopedia shows that man-at-arms is a type of knight, and Duncan is never seen training or giving orders to anyone but Teela. And the answer is always "Yes Father" and never "yes man at arms" or "yes commander." I have not read Duncans bio in a long while, does it hint at anything?

okay after reading his Bio, he is the weapons master and combat instructor to the royal family. and in charge of the elite strike force that is known as the Masters of the Universe. Guess Teela as captain of the guard is apart of the Masters as well, mayb as a secondary duty and would still be under Duncan.
    Last edited by Paul Justice; February 2, 2011 at 08:00pm.

Duncan's Classics bio explains his "Man-At-Arms" rank:

For two centuries, the Eternian weapons master and combat instructor to the royal family has been called the “Man-At-Arms®.” Trained by the renowned tactician Dekker™ and a veteran of the Great Unrest, Duncan™ was asked by King Randor™ to step into this position and fortify his guard with an elite strike force, which he named The Masters of the Universe®.
    This pretty well fits any incarnation of Man-At-Arms, as far as I'm concerned. Man-At-Arms is the head of Randor's army - which pretty much puts him as highly ranked as one can get outside of being royalty.

Edit: Sarnath'd by Paul Justice. ;b

Edit 2: Do you suppose he's named Duncan for Duncan Idaho, from Dune? "The admirable fighting man whose abilities at guarding and surveillance are so esteemed."
    Last edited by Jon; February 2, 2011 at 08:12pm.

This may help some: Military rank.

Though keep in mind, our ranks may not always match up with those on Eternia. In 2002, Captain Randor was bumped up to King.

Anyways, I'd guess Man-At-Arms' U.S. DoD pay grade would be O-10, corresponding to a OF-P NATO rank.

And since he's usually on the ground and not at sea, I'd call him General.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

I actually dont assign him a rant, in as much as someone like the Sorceress doesnt have a rank.

But I always felt/believed he had a position.

Just as there has (evidentally) been a protector of the sword (sometimes called a He-Man, sometimes not), and there has always been a keeper of lore (sometimes the Sorceress, sometimes Eldor, or the Goddess.), there has always been a keeper of the lost tech, in this case the Man-At-Arms.

Man at arms has always been a position as important as the others in it's way. To me, after the wars that decimated Eternia from a high teck world into a more savage world of barbarians, there was one person who kept the ancient secrets of all this lost technology. The Man-At-Arms.

This person is responsible for keeping such destructive tech, doling it out here and there, and mixing it with sorcery (with whoever the lorekeeper is at the time) and giving us this neat mix of sorcery and technologie we always see define what made Masters of the Universe unique in Fantasy.

Heroic Warrior
    The real question is why the hell is Teela a captain?! That whole military infastucture seems quite the bit broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    The real question is why the hell is Teela a captain?! That whole military infastucture seems quite the bit broken.
    I also thought it was a bit silly, her being a captain at such a young age...but I just chalk it up to her being particularly gifted and having been raised as a warrior, non-stop from birth, by the cream of the crop of a relatively small warrior society. :b

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I also thought it was a bit silly, her being a captain at such a young age...but I just chalk it up to her being particularly gifted and having been raised as a warrior, non-stop from birth, by the cream of the crop of a relatively small warrior society. :b
    True, she is a great physical fighter, but the young lady has been impatient and hot-headed in pretty much every incarnation of MOTU. I love her character, but it's absolutely ridiculous making her personality leadership material.

It would be much better that Captain (or MAA) is something she yearns to be. She'll only get there after many more years of gaining wisdom and those PSA lessons at the end of each episode.

Heroic Warrior
    He is a combination of:

Duke
    Defender of the Crown
    High Counselor
    Fleet Admiral (I think that outranks 5 star general)
    Master Engineer
    the list can go on...... he prefers to solve issues with technology over magic.

I love her character, but it's absolutely ridiculous making her personality leadership material.
    *thinking about all the bosses i've had*

i disagree.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Even in the old incarnation, Skytree mentioned there had always been a Man-at-Arms to protect Eternia, and that one had saved the forest long ago. As far as I can see, Duncan is second only to the King himself, and is, indeed, Teela's military commander. He chided and punished her at least once for being a Captain of the Guard who disobeyed his order, telling me she was answerable to him in the chain of command.

Regardless of his official rank, though, it's been clear in every incarnation that Duncan is Randor's friend, right hand and confidant/advisor, as well as Adam's mentor. Can't think of many positions, official or otherwise, more important on Eternia.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    True, she is a great physical fighter, but the young lady has been impatient and hot-headed in pretty much every incarnation of MOTU. I love her character, but it's absolutely ridiculous making her personality leadership material.

It would be much better that Captain (or MAA) is something she yearns to be. She'll only get there after many more years of gaining wisdom and those PSA lessons at the end of each episode.
    Despite being 16, Teela was alot more inflexible and soldier-like in MYP, just like MAA was more of a general. Filmation MAA was more of the court scientist, while 18-19 year old Teela was more like a hot-headed kid, who frequently disobeyed orders. But then, MYP MAA would never have scolded MYP Teela for going to the Darklands, like the Filmation MAA did. MYP MAA would have told her to take a communicator and clean socks.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Commandant of the Guard

In 200X MAA was the Masters commander & stepped aside when He-Man showed up. I asked Ian Richter about this & he agreed.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 11.2.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Adroit Academic Professor Griffin's Avatar
    It seems to almost be like the Jedi in The Clone Wars, whereby if you are a member of "The Masters" (by god I hate that application of the branding) you automatically assume some sort of commanding rank. Jedi Masters are generals, Padawans are commanders, etc. In that regard, any enlisted and commissioned Eternian military members, regardless of rank, defer to a Master in times of battle. Perhaps, certain higher ranks are automatically able to be initiated into The Masters of the Universe?

As to Teela being Captain of the Guard, Eternia is a pseudo-feudal structure... is it possible as the scion of a Man-at-Arms she could be born to it? It could also be entirely skills based, like she won some sort of competition and must defend her rank and command against challengers (like the Captain-system in Bleach).
    Zodac is the name for God on the lips of all fanboys.

I find this question quite redundant considering that "Man at Arms" IS his rank. I think the question should be rephrased to What rank does a Man at Arms hold?(not nessecarily Duncan, but ALL MaA`s)

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I find this question quite redundant considering that "Man at Arms" IS his rank. I think the question should be rephrased to What rank does a Man at Arms hold?(not nessecarily Duncan, but ALL MaA`s)
    But that is the point of the original post. Man-at-arms isn't a rank, it's a synonym for professional soldier. In medieval Europe it often meant a heavily armed cavalryman.

"The terms knight and man-at-arms are often used interchangeably, but while all knights certainly were men-at-arms, not all men-at-arms were knights... In this way it was understood that a person referred to merely as a "man-at-arms" was a man of the higher echelon of the military scale, but was neither of noble birth nor a knight himself. By this time, the term was only ever used to refer to professional soldiers, usually of a distinctly higher order than archers or Billmen and serving in the same tactical role as knights."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-at-arms
    Last edited by Professor Griffin; February 4, 2011 at 02:41pm.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Griffin View Post
    As to Teela being Captain of the Guard,... It could also be entirely skills based, like she won some sort of competition and must defend her rank and command against challengers (like the Captain-system in Bleach).
    Are you suggesting Teela got a KlingonPromotion?

Teela is Captain of the Guard. Randor was a Captain, but it is safe to say he was of a higher rank than Teela. For instance, a Captain in the Navy is a higher rank than a Captain in the Army or Airforce. An airforce and army Captain (2 stripes) is considered a junior officer, whereas a Navy Captain (4 stripes) is a senior officer.

I would say that Duncan would be a General, as his uniform suggests an army officer. He is clearly second-in-command to Randor.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; February 4, 2011 at 05:33pm.

Isn't Prince William a flight lieutenant in the RAF? I'm sure Randor's military rank was not tied to his royal succession... especially if Miro was still alive.

But once you're king, you're king.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Are you suggesting Teela got a KlingonPromotion?
    Well if it isn't the first example listed on that page!?!
    Last edited by Professor Griffin; February 4, 2011 at 06:01pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost