Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Gardening Thread

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar

2014 Gardening Thread

2014 Gardening Thread

Guess what? It's getting close to that time of year again. Time to start planning what you will grow in your vegetable garden this year. I have already seen lots of seeds out in stores/nurseries as well as potato sets, onion bulbs, asparagus roots, cold crop plants, etc.

After growing up on a 100-acre fruit & vegetable farm, I always LOVE this time of year!!! So, let's hear it: what do you plan to grow this year?

And also, as the season goes on PLEASE SHARE PHOTOS of your garden and harvest.

As for me, I plan on setting out some cold crops (broccoli,
    cabbage, red & white potatoes, yellow onions, spinach, and lettuce) in about 2 weeks if the weather permits it. Once May arrives I will start planting my other vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, beans, squash, cucumbers, eggplant, okra, etc.).

*So, what is everyone else planting this year?
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Ugh. I set out my tomatoes and herbs last week, and then the temperature dropped from 72 to 18 degrees in 24 hours. Guess I'm starting over!
    Inside I've started jalapenos, eggplant, and bee balm. The rosemary, chives, thyme, and (surprisingly) the cilantro made it through the freeze, so we'll have those. I'll start cream peas, mini pumpkins, squash, zucchini, and okra outside once it's a bit warmer. I've got a grape vine that's been a good producer for the last 2 years, so hopefully that will come through for us again this year. I have been eyeing the blackberry vines at one of the local nurseries - I would love raspberries but the local ag people say they don't do well here so blackberries may be a good option. I also need to start some lettuce.

Considering its 10 degrees here for the foreseeable future, I'm not gearing up for planting. I normally don't do crops, but do lots of flowers. Landscaping is my relaxation
    MOTUC Needs:Fisto, Whiplash, Shadow Weaver, Spikor, Sorceress, Mighty Spector, Batros, Netossa, Foe Men, Frosta, Griffin, Granamyr, Shadowbeast, Horde Prime, Jitsu, Rokkon/Stonedar, Jet Sled, Goddess, Wundar, Strobo, Shokotti, Castle Grayskull, Evil Lynn, Dekker, Pre-ternia He-man, Star Sisters, snake men, NA He-man, TP He-man, Filmation hordak, horde trooper(s), sky high, Kevin kosse heads

Quote Originally Posted by Magicat View Post
    Ugh. I set out my tomatoes and herbs last week, and then the temperature dropped from 72 to 18 degrees in 24 hours. Guess I'm starting over!
    Inside I've started jalapenos, eggplant, and bee balm. The rosemary, chives, thyme, and (surprisingly) the cilantro made it through the freeze, so we'll have those. I'll start cream peas, mini pumpkins, squash, zucchini, and okra outside once it's a bit warmer. I've got a grape vine that's been a good producer for the last 2 years, so hopefully that will come through for us again this year. I have been eyeing the blackberry vines at one of the local nurseries - I would love raspberries but the local ag people say they don't do well here so blackberries may be a good option. I also need to start some lettuce.
    Oh no! Sorry to hear about your tomatoes! Thankfully some of your herbs made it an it is still early enough to plant tomatoes again. Sounds like you have a nice variety planned. I look forward to seeing picture as the season progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by JSteele View Post
    Considering its 10 degrees here for the foreseeable future, I'm not gearing up for planting. I normally don't do crops, but do lots of flowers. Landscaping is my relaxation
    It is still pretty cold here as well, but once it starts staying above freezing I will plant my cold crops.

I also love to landscape. I look forward to seeing some pictures once it gets warmer.

Sadly this year I wont be at the farm since I kinda got the boot and am now living in a horrible village house. I can't stand it!!!!

I will have a garden at the farm, but I dont know what i'm gonna do at this **** hole. I want to be able to walk outside and have fresh tomatos but this yard sucks. So I'm at a loss. I guess I'm gonna have to drive across town to get my veggies.

I would like:
    tomatoes,
    green peppers
    wartermellon
    pumpkins
    beans
    indian corn
    sweet corn

dunno what else. Maybe sunflowers?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Sadly this year I wont be at the farm since I kinda got the boot and am now living in a horrible village house. I can't stand it!!!!

I will have a garden at the farm, but I dont know what i'm gonna do at this **** hole. I want to be able to walk outside and have fresh tomatos but this yard sucks. So I'm at a loss. I guess I'm gonna have to drive across town to get my veggies.

I would like:
    tomatoes,
    green peppers
    wartermellon
    pumpkins
    beans
    indian corn
    sweet corn

dunno what else. Maybe sunflowers?
    I'm sorry to hear that. I know what you mean though. It took me several years before my current garden area had good enough soil to have a decent garden. It still isn't great, but I have now worked on the soil enough that it is now "growable"...but nothing like the farm.

Have you thought about either a raised bed garden or container garden? That way you have control over the soil. Something to think about.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    No garden for me this year - I have no land on which to plant it yet. This move has so far bitten me on the rear far more than it has improved my situation...
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    No garden for me this year - I have no land on which to plant it yet. This move has so far bitten me on the rear far more than it has improved my situation...
    I am so sorry to hear that my friend. Feel free to send me a PM if you ever want to talk or just vent.

Soo cooold, ccccan't think of pppplanting until the thaw.
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Soo cooold, ccccan't think of pppplanting until the thaw.
    I know what you mean. It has been a tough winter all around the country, but thankfully we are going to be in the 60's here next week. Looking forward to the snow melting and seeing some grass.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. I know what you mean though. It took me several years before my current garden area had good enough soil to have a decent garden. It still isn't great, but I have now worked on the soil enough that it is now "growable"...but nothing like the farm.

Have you thought about either a raised bed garden or container garden? That way you have control over the soil. Something to think about.
    I will think about beds, but really I dunno where to plant in this crappy yard.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Raised beds worked well in my old yard. I wish I could harvest the blackberries that will grow...

I don't usually grow vegetables but good lord after this eternal winter I might just plant something to celebrate the onset of warm weather!

My mom moved here 2 years ago and she was sort of successful with tomatoes last year
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I will think about beds, but really I dunno where to plant in this crappy yard.
    Do you have a deck or patio? I'm in the same boat. My yard really doesn't have much of a garden, so last year I just lined up plant pots along my deck. Everything was doing well until the spider mites moved in...
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I don't usually grow vegetables but good lord after this eternal winter I might just plant something to celebrate the onset of warm weather!

My mom moved here 2 years ago and she was sort of successful with tomatoes last year
    Do it. Do it. Do it! Would love for you to plant something. It is not only healthy, but a good hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by flutterina View Post
    Do you have a deck or patio? I'm in the same boat. My yard really doesn't have much of a garden, so last year I just lined up plant pots along my deck. Everything was doing well until the spider mites moved in...
    Yeah, those dang spider mites can take over fast. Have to spray them with a pesticide/organic pesticide as soon as you see them. They ruined a couple of my plants a few years ago.

It is still pretty cold here as well, but once it starts staying above freezing I will plant my cold crops.

I also love to landscape. I look forward to seeing some pictures once it gets warmer.
    I will definately post some pics. My first order of business is to hopefully redo my 6x6 pond. I want to make it slightly bigger and add a waterfall to it. We'll see how it goes
    MOTUC Needs:Fisto, Whiplash, Shadow Weaver, Spikor, Sorceress, Mighty Spector, Batros, Netossa, Foe Men, Frosta, Griffin, Granamyr, Shadowbeast, Horde Prime, Jitsu, Rokkon/Stonedar, Jet Sled, Goddess, Wundar, Strobo, Shokotti, Castle Grayskull, Evil Lynn, Dekker, Pre-ternia He-man, Star Sisters, snake men, NA He-man, TP He-man, Filmation hordak, horde trooper(s), sky high, Kevin kosse heads

Yeah, those dang spider mites can take over fast. Have to spray them with a pesticide/organic pesticide as soon as you see them. They ruined a couple of my plants a few years ago.
    Tell me about it! They killed my tomatoes, strawberries, my entire herb garden and all my flowers in a matter of days. My blueberries thankfully were left unscathed. It's hard to spot them early.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post

You can grow tomatoes in a 5-gallon bucket. I've done that. Have to have a few buckets to get a good crop.

I should have already planted my cold crops (potatoes, onions, cabbage, broccoli, etc.), but the ground hasn't warmed up and dried out enough yet. Local meteorologists say that gardening will probably be at least 4-6 weeks behind this year due to the unusually cold meteorological spring (that began March 1st) that we have had.

Come on Frosta...I mean Mother Nature...I am ready to get planting already. lol.

Heroic Warrior
    For those that have had problems with soil and have discussed raised beds what I did was called SQFT gardening. I built some easy 4' x 4' squares out of Treated lumber and arranged them so that I have about a 2 foot walking path between them. I filled the squares with good soil and have had a successful garden ever since. It takes a little investment for the lumber and soil, but it works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear-at-Arms View Post
    For those that have had problems with soil and have discussed raised beds what I did was called SQFT gardening. I built some easy 4' x 4' squares out of Treated lumber and arranged them so that I have about a 2 foot walking path between them. I filled the squares with good soil and have had a successful garden ever since. It takes a little investment for the lumber and soil, but it works great!
    That's what we did in our old yard, except some were bigger/

Yesterday, I had a 12-hour window where it wasn't raining, wasn't too cold, and the ground was dry enough to till up my garden and get some cold crops planted. After tilling my garden area 4 times (in order to get it dried out enough), I planted Peas, Cabbage, Broccoli, Carrots, Turnips, Yellow Onions, Red Potatoes, and White Potatoes.

Pictures of my garden:
    IMG_1000.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

Pictures of my daffodils blooming:
    IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

I planted Peas, Cabbage, Broccoli, Carrots, Turnips, Yellow Onions, Red Potatoes, and White Potatoes
    I'm considering this to be a dinner invitation.

I planted Peas, Cabbage, Broccoli, Carrots, Turnips, Yellow Onions, Red Potatoes, and White Potatoes.
    I'm considering this to be a dinner invitation.
    Yes, you are officially invited. lol.

Alas no I wish I did. Its so annoying. I am goign to put some stuff in potted plants but that NEVER works for me uggghhh not happy.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.