Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GoBots to DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Has anyone watched Machine Robo? It's the cartoon(and line of toys) that the Gobots were based on. I see that there are 3 Region 1 DVDs for it for a few bucks each on Amazon.
    I have watched it, there are some interesting similarities design wise but the animation you are talking about came well after the Gobots was made by Hanna Barbera. The Machine Robo series was similar to something like Voltron or Tranzor Z then Challenge of the Gobots

So it went kinda like this

Machine Robo toys 82-86 --> Gobots US -- Gobots Cartoon 84-86 --> Machine Robo JP Cartoon 87-89

The US DVD's of Machine Robo only make up 15 of the 47 episodes of the 1st series (there was 2-3 series and 2 OVA's that came out in JP after 1986)

Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I have watched it, there are some interesting similarities design wise but the animation you are talking about came well after the Gobots was made by Hanna Barbera. The Machine Robo series was similar to something like Voltron or Tranzor Z then Challenge of the Gobots

So it went kinda like this

Machine Robo toys 82-86 --> Gobots US -- Gobots Cartoon 84-86 --> Machine Robo JP Cartoon 87-89

The US DVD's of Machine Robo only make up 15 of the 47 episodes of the 1st series (there was 2-3 series and 2 OVA's that came out in JP after 1986)
    Cool! Thanks.

I knew they were more robotic suits than sentient robots(I believe the same can be said for the franchises that America's Transformers were based on), but I didn't know the cartoon was made after Gobots.

You brought up Tranzor Z. I liked Voltron, but I always liked Tranzor Z better. Maybe if Mattel has any success with Voltron, we'll see Tranzor Z brought stateside again.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I knew they were more robotic suits than sentient robots(I believe the same can be said for the franchises that America's Transformers were based on), but I didn't know the cartoon was made after Gobots.
    Yeah another interesting fact is they actually tried to dub Challenge of the Gobots into Japanese and the reaction was utter disgust

You brought up Tranzor Z. I liked Voltron, but I always liked Tranzor Z better. Maybe if Mattel has any success with Voltron, we'll see Tranzor Z brought stateside again.
    That would be pretty awesome, I always used to watch Tranzor Z in the morning before Robotech on WDCA 20 in Washington

Have you ever checked out the Mazinger series in Japan?
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Yeah another interesting fact is they actually tried to dub Challenge of the Gobots into Japanese and the reaction was utter disgust

That would be pretty awesome, I always used to watch Tranzor Z in the morning before Robotech on WDCA 20 in Washington

Have you ever checked out the Mazinger series in Japan?
    I never saw the Mazinger series. I basically just saw what they had on Chicago in the 80's I missed Robotech since it was on in the mornings(the same reason I never watched Gobots), but I used to watch Voltron(lion team), Tranzor Z, and Spectreman.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I never saw the Mazinger series. I basically just saw what they had on Chicago in the 80's I missed Robotech since it was on in the mornings(the same reason I never watched Gobots), but I used to watch Voltron(lion team), Tranzor Z, and Spectreman.
    If you get a chance you should check it out on Youtube, its basically the unedited Tranzor Z and its follow up series. All were more dramatic in nature

GOBOTS and FILMATION fans, we're just lucky our fave series went remastered by chance. And a great, terrific remastering for both GoBots and the Filmation cartoons.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    GOBOTS and FILMATION fans, we're just lucky our fave series went remastered by chance. And a great, terrific remastering for both GoBots and the Filmation cartoons.
    Well Gobots has to sell well first to get the remaining parts remastered, if it sells poor we will just get a straight transfer to DVD (which is actually really well done).

Well Gobots has to sell well first to get the remaining parts remastered, if it sells poor we will just get a straight transfer to DVD (which is actually really well done).
    True. Their are just testing the waters.

I would like to see the movie remastered on HD, even.

Anyway, Hallmark did a terrific job with Filmation. True remastering.

If anyone has been waiting Warner is now giving 10% off the Gobots and other animated MOD series

http://www.wbshop.com/Hanna-Barbera/...26&PID=3821628

Also a clip of the remastered mini series is now up, I am hyped now the colors pop and everything is so clear

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Challen...i-Series/15401

If anyone has been waiting Warner is now giving 10% off the Gobots and other animated MOD series
    Damn! I waited until saturday night to pre-order it. If only I had waited 2 days more.

I've never seen the show other than the movie which I got on VHS off of Amaazon. I knew it was going to be cheezy, but I forgot about all of the "old school" Hanna Barbera music & sound. I love that along with the bright colors. I can't wait for this.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; May 16, 2011 at 11:14pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Damn! I waited until saturday night to pre-order it. If only I had waited 2 days more.

I've never seen the show other than the movie which I got on VHS off of Amaazon. I knew it was going to be cheezy, but I forgot about all of the "old school" Hanna Barbera music & sound. I love that along with the bright colors. I can't wait for this.
    Well on the upside you would have only saved $1.50 so its not a massive deal

Here is the video for those who might not be able to see it (its good but not as good as the pure Quicktime video on the WB site)

If your order hasn't shipped yet, you could probably cancel it and put in a new order. I did that once before to get a better deal. I don't think I've ever paid full price for Warner Archive release yet. I always wait for a sale of some type. I'll probably put in my orders for GoBots and Mr. T now. There are a couple others I might get at some point, but I'll probably wait down the road for a better sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    If your order hasn't shipped yet, you could probably cancel it and put in a new order. I did that once before to get a better deal. I don't think I've ever paid full price for Warner Archive release yet. I always wait for a sale of some type. I'll probably put in my orders for GoBots and Mr. T now. There are a couple others I might get at some point, but I'll probably wait down the road for a better sale.
    It's tempting, but if it's only $1.50, I'm too lazy. There are some others that I almost got with my Gobots order that I might reconsider(Mr. T & Chuck Norris).

JOIN THE GROUP...

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Here is the video for those who might not be able to see it (its good but not as good as the pure Quicktime video on the WB site)
    Man that clip looks great! I really can't wait for this and hopefully the rest of the series. I'm still a little shocked that Challenge of the Gobots is even coming out on dvd. It's the thing I wanted most that I thought would never happen. 2nd only to Filmation MOTU/PoP for me.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

http://www.wbshop.com/Hanna-Barbera/...26&PID=3821628

Also a clip of the remastered mini series is now up, I am hyped now the colors pop and everything is so clear

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Challen...i-Series/15401
    Mark, my friend, how do you know they didn't remaster the remaining 60 episodes yet? I bet they already did.

I LOVE GOBOTS! The remastering is top-notch. Go for it, Warner.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Man that clip looks great! I really can't wait for this and hopefully the rest of the series. I'm still a little shocked that Challenge of the Gobots is even coming out on dvd. It's the thing I wanted most that I thought would never happen. 2nd only to Filmation MOTU/PoP for me.
    Are there still legions of GoBots fans in America? In Italy they're 100% forgotten.
    Last edited by Vanquest; May 17, 2011 at 05:48am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Mark, my friend, how do you know they didn't remaster the remaining 60 episodes yet? I bet they already did.
    It is hard to say, you have to remember this is Made to Order. Which means they don't have to have anything ready for any specific time.

I would think they have done the remastering because its an easy way to charge us even more and make more profit (remember there is no middle man with made to order, they do not lose anything on production because we have to prepay).

Are there still legions of GoBots fans in America? In Italy they're 100% forgotten.
    Yes there is still a devoted fanbase, the toys go for quite a bit of money.

Its not as vocal as Transformers mainly because its been a dormant license for almost 25 years (vs say a new series. There are several yahoo boards and mail lists setup for it though, and the show is one of the most requested when it comes to polls.

The whole GoBots/Transformers story reminds me of the Filmation's Ghostbusters/Real Ghostbusters affair, the only difference is that GoBots - while being fun and great - is technically inferior to Transformers animation-wise, while Filmation Ghostbusters is vastly superior to Real Ghostbusters, which is a horrid and painful to see cartoon.

Mark, why don't you join my FGB forum? I like you a lot.

The whole GoBots/Transformers story reminds me of the Filmation's Ghostbusters/Real Ghostbusters affair, the only difference is that GoBots - while being fun and great - is technically inferior to Transformers animation-wise
    I can see that, I mean Gobots was done by Ruby Spears/Hanna Barbera so it was always going to have a more light, fantasy, kid tone to it. Transformers was done by Sunbow whose cartoons (even My Little Pony) were much more dramatic in scope.

I am not sure I would consider Gobots inferior though, its the same animation teams used for Centurions which I think you would argue is a pretty great premise and cartoon. I think the simplicity in the Gobots design led them to be accessible to a wider age of audience.

its the same animation teams used for Centurions which I think you would argue is a pretty great premise and cartoon.
    'Centurions' features the most impressive animation from an American eighties cartoon I have ever seen in my life.

I agree, GoBots was different from Transformers, and its "semplicity" had a dream-like quality I always enjoyed. In a way, GoBots is just more visionary and "artsy" than Transformers.

I agree, GoBots was different from Transformers, and its "semplicity" had a dream-like quality I always enjoyed. In a way, GoBots is just more visionary and "artsy" than Transformers.
    Exactly.

I viewed Gobots as how I would see/daydream the world if I was a child and it had Robots fighting in a war.

Transformers was how the war probably happened if it was real

I put my order in for it. Outside of the Rock Lords movie and a few episodes I've watched from bootlegs, I haven't watched a large amount of episodes in recent years. I remember them focusing heavily on the 3 core good guys and 3 core bad guys in a kind of Filmation He-Man way that you didn't feel like they were beating you over the head trying to sell you all the latest toys. Even though it was probably close to how the toy would look, I thought it was a bit cheesy when they'd sometimes show the faces on the vehicle forms.

Here is an excellent episode guide for those that might not remember the show

http://counter-x.net/gobots/challeng...des/index.html

And another preview clip from WB

Here is an excellent episode guide for those that might not remember the show

http://counter-x.net/gobots/challeng...des/index.html

And another preview clip from WB

Please remove video embedding code in quoted replies. Thanks
    Cannot really complain, the remastering is top-notch and the series looks modern. Ironically enough, Transformers will never look so good, the original tapes were in a pretty nasty shape and with much post-production animation sorely missing.

Heroic Warrior Master of Disguise's Avatar
    You Americans are lucky. I wish we had the Mighty Machine Men remastered and sold here with the "mighty robots, might vehicles" intro of your toy commercials. The show and toys were more popular here anyway back in the day. I wish I could order this sort of nearly there nostalgic dvd.

They charged my card earlier this morning so I assume its getting ready to be shipped