Thread: MOTUC characters' best media performances???

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar

MOTUC characters' best media performances???

This is going to be a "Mr. Shokoti-type" thread (hold the Wuzzles) and I'm sure many people will have to think about some of the characters long and hard. I believe it will get some fun interesting replies though and I'd enjoy seeing everyone's opinions on this, especially since the one MAJOR THING that MOTUC is lacking is media representation. The closest thing we get to it is the bios which aren't always great.

MOTUC is grabbing figures from every era that Mattel has available to them. What do you think are those characters best performance or representation, be it a certain scene, movie scene, episode, comic, mini comic, poster, box art, etc... FROM ANY ERA!

Yes there's a lot to choose from, name a couple if you wish for your favorite characters. Some more obscure characters with a lesser role will only have one obvious answer, others will be MUCH, MUCH more difficult to decide on.

First character up is King Grayskull.

MYP Series - The Power of Grayskull episode - Battle (and death) vs Hordak. He stopped Hordak from bringing Despondos upon Eternia and unknowingly created the bottomless abyss around Castle Grayskull in the process. That's the best scene involving King Grayskull imo.

Since King Grayskull doesn't have that many options to choose from I'm gonna throw in the next figure in the MOTUC line which lots of people will have different choices for sure...

Next character is He-Man!

I'm going with Filmation Series - Transformation sequence (pick an episode). Nothing tops that as far as I'm concerned.

So what's everyone's favorite episode, comic, scene, art, or any other media representation of He-Man?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Whilst I'm sure it's not everyones favourite, and people will strongly disagree, I'm gonna go for the movie, where he's been beaten and whipped, yet he still refuses to kneel to Skeletor, and has every confidence in his friends
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

King Grayskull: MYP series, if only because we also got Veena. Also, not MOTUC, because I think his armor design is atrocious.

He-Man: The Gary Cohn/Mark Texiera DC Comics mini-comics, off the top of my head. I'm sure if I thought more, something else would make it harder to decide (like the Battle Armor staction; epic!).
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

King Grayskull: The MOTUC bios. He's more fleshed out, than in his 200X one episode appearance.

He-Man: I'll go with the first two series of mini-comics (1982-1983) and the DC comics mini series (even if they aren't strictly the same continuity). I like the darker, less moralistic He-Man in these stories.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    King Grayskull: The untold epic battles/stories of KG when he fought along side He-Ro & the other legendary hero's. It dazzles the imagination. And yes his legendary battle against Hordak & the evil horde blew me away!

He-Man: The MYP 200x series had some very moving moments. Like when Battlecat got hurt be Skeletor & you could see that P..... him off. Or moments when he shows true heroism or when he shows brief human vulnerabilities. Very touching. No mater if it was Filmation or MYP whenever He-man would hold up his sword of power & shout "I have the power"... I thought that was cool. He-man is the icon of what a hero is. The battle of good vs evil was never depicted better than in motu!
    Last edited by kylun flac; January 29, 2011 at 11:45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    This is going to be a "Mr. Shokoti-type" thread (hold the Wuzzles)
    Whoohooo!!! I have my own type of thread.

Oh noooo!!! I'm forever linked to the Wuzzles.

King Grayskull

I don't like the guy but since he's only been involved in one form of media, I guess I'll say MYP's MOTU cartoon.

He-Man

I'm going with Filmation's MOTU Cartoon based on his voice alone. He was heroic sounding, kindly, and fatherly all at the same time. He also had a great sense of humor considering he was so fond of delivering one liners that would put Arnold & Bruce Willis' to shame.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    King Grayskull
    The Power of Grayskull by default.

He-Man
    Alcala/Texiera Mini-Comics; runner-up: DC Comic's 3 issue mini-series.

The original mini-comics win this one. I'm very interested in how He-Man (not Adam disguised as He-Man) lives. It's a pity that we never saw more about this version of He-Man. How he befriended Battle Cat, whom he calls from the woods...seeing him flirt with Teela or having new developments shape his life. From the Ram Man book, we know that he drives around from village to village helping people in need.

Although He-Man was a guise for Adam in DC, his portrayal was much darker like his origins...so much so that you forget that Mattel started using the more kid friendly elements like Prince Adam and Cringer that we usually associate with Filmation. He-Man and Battle Cat having a contest about slaying demons?
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; January 30, 2011 at 04:17pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    King Grayskull
    The Power of Grayskull by default.

He-Man

Although He-Man was a guise for Adam in DC, his portrayal was much darker like his origins...so much so that you forget that Mattel started using the more kid friendly elements like Prince Adam and Cringer that we usually associate with Filmation. He-Man and Battle Cat having a contest about slaying demons?
    It just surprised me in these stories, that even though Adam keeps the secret from his friends and parents (even MAA doesn't seem to know) He-Man openly talks about being Adam in front of Cerils whole tribe!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

King Grayskull: MYP ep Power of Grayskull, fight to the death.

He-man: MYP ep where Battle Cat is hurt and loses his mask. He-man checks to make sure he is okay and then gives a look as if to say "it's on now!"

Thanks to those that elaborated and were a bit more specific. That's what I'm looking for with this thread since I bet I can guess everyone's favorite "era" anyways.

I want to hear what everyone thinks is each character's best performance whether they think it's from their favorite cartoon, mini comic, box art, etc... what have you.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Grayskull fighting off Hordak easily wins. But that is a cheat because he hardly has much to refer to, and that being one of his only appearances anywhere, it just happens to be epic.

He-Man transformation scene in Filmation. You nailed that. Nothing shows the majesty, the power, than that scene, that music, that voice echo, everthing.

So frankly I dont have much to add beyond restating what this thread started with. Hehe, next.

I didn't forget about this thread, I'm just more of a thread-slacker than Mr. Shokoti.

Next are Skeletor and Beast Man!

For Skeletor it's a very tough choice. One of my personal favorite performances is when he summons Sh'Gora in a satanic ritual in Snake Mountain in Filmation's "To Save Skeletor" episode. I also enjoy how he tortures his Evil Warriors in the MYP series and even turns his back on them to form the Council of Evil. I also LOVED his performance in Trap Jaw's Icons of Evil comic by MV creations. That was one of Skeletor's most brutal performances. Introducing his Evil Warriors in Filmation's "Diamond Ray of Disappearance" was also one of my favorite Skeletor performances. I'm sure there's so many more Skeletor scenes and performances that I'm forgetting that are equally as awesome as the ones I mentioned so I look forward to seeing others' responses.

Beast Man didn't have that many memorable performances in my opinion. First thing I'll mention is that he had an Icons of Evil comic from MV Creations. Anyone that had one of those is worth mentioning. I wish we couldve got more of those for more Evil Warriors than the 4 we got. Stealing the dragon's eggs in the Filmation episode "The Dragon Invasion" gets a shoutout for Beast Man. I'm also partial to his cardback art as he was one of the very first MOTU figures I got as a kid as well as him in the jungle in the mini comic "The Vengence of Skeletor" that came with his vintage figure. I didn't really care for Beast Man's look too much in the MYP series, but I really enjoyed the Griffins he controlled and flew on.

So anyone care to add anything for Skeletor and Beast Man? What were your favorite performances for those two from any era, artwork, comics, cartoons, etc...?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    King Grayskull:
    Not really a big fan of him as a character, but I'll have to go with the untold stories of KG when he fought together with He-Ro. I like that legend of Grayskull stuff.
    In my head these battles were MUCH more epic than that - imo - pretty boring performance in MYP episode "The power of Grayskull". That fight against the Horde was way to quick and lacked depth. Sure it was supposed to show his power, but it really should have been expanded.

He-Man:
    As some already posted MYP had some really nice scenes.
    But here I'm going with my imagination and my personal canon.
    He fights alongsside Battle Cat and Zoar (the male Zoar - not the Sorceress bird form). It's not unlike "The Beastmaster".
    He's also able to communicate with them (they talk telepathically - so no real talking here).

Skeletor:
    Definately the MYP performances with the Keldor origin and Evil Lyn as former love interest.
    But I have to say that I really don't like some of the episodes where he was pretty much shown acting like an angry child. Those that made him look laughable rather than menacing.
    I really liked how he was treating his "allies" - especially the torture scenes, when he was teaching them who is boss.

Beastman:
    Not really a big Beastman fan - never was. But I'm going with the MYP version. I really liked some scenes, for example when he showed Skeletor the Shadowbeast in his lair. That was nice.
    His "pets" in general are pretty cool.
    Man I want a MOTUC griffin....

Greetings,
    DB
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Skeletor--1987 movie
    As much as I like MYP Skeletor, I could listen to the 1987 movie Skeletor read the phone book. He might pretty much be the biggest reason why the 1987 movie is revered around here.

Beast Man--MYP
    MYP had a more useful Beast Man, mostly because of his powers: he's contolled Shadow Beasts, Serpenetors, Griffins and Man-E-Faces--three of those where the plots of their own episodes, which is pretty telling of his usefulness.

However, Filmation actually went into Beast Man in "Prince Adam No More". All of those constant failures by Beast Man actually led somewhere! Skeletor FIRED Beast Man, but unfortunately accepts him back if only to clean up the smashed Robot Knights left by He-Man and Randor. Hey, Beast Man had to return back to Skeletor somehow in 22 minutes and before next episode, right? This is where no continuous continuity hurts Filmation.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

Skeletor

Yes, the He-Man & She-Ra Christmas special turned Skeletor from the lord of evil into a grumpy sitcom character who has a change of heart at Christmas time, but I still liked Skeletor's temporary fondness for puppies.

Beast Man

I can't think of any specific scenes with Beast Man. I didn't like that he was mute in the 1987 movie and I wasn't a fan of his look in MYP. I guess I'll go with Filmation by default.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; February 6, 2011 at 10:29am.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SLO-MAN View Post
    the DC comics mini series (even if they aren't strictly the same continuity). I like the darker, less moralistic He-Man in these stories.
    Originally Posted by MegaGearMax

He-Man

The original mini-comics win this one. I'm very interested in how He-Man (not Adam disguised as He-Man) lives. It's a pity that we never saw more about this version of He-Man. How he befriended Battle Cat, whom he calls from the woods...seeing him flirt with Teela or having new developments shape his life. From the Ram Man book, we know that he drives around from village to village helping people in need.

Here! Here! (See my sig quote).
    Last edited by He-Man123; February 6, 2011 at 10:45am.
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Skeletor--1987 movie
    As much as I like MYP Skeletor, I could listen to the 1987 movie Skeletor read the phone book. He might pretty much be the biggest reason why the 1987 movie is revered around here.
    I totally forgot to mention the 87 movie when I bumped this thread with the next 2 characters. Movie Skeletor DEFINITELY deserves a mention in my personal favorite Skeletor performances. Especially when he turns into golden god Skeletor, has He-Man enslaved and whipped with bloody lashes all over him, and just sitting on his throne with the Satanic symbols on it. Those are what instantly come to mind when thinking of Skeletor's performance in the 87 movie and he was the best thing about it! I'd totally love a movie Skeletor in MOTUC.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!