Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCUC vs MOTUC Aquaman vs Mer-Man Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

DCUC vs MOTUC Aquaman vs Mer-Man Video Review by Pixel Dan

These have been out for a while now, so good chance you already have these in hand and know what they are about. But even still, I present to you my review of Aquaman vs Mer-Man. Enjoy!

For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I love the colours on Merman, but I refuse to buy him at Ebay prices.

Just curious, did you get this sample from Mattel?

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Just curious, did you get this sample from Mattel?
    Yes I did.

Well, that is very decent of them.

Thanks again for the review. Good stuff as always!

I bought these the other day, and I have to say I disagree with your overall analysis. I did own both figures already, but the new Mer-Man and Aquaman are of MUCH higher quality than the original releases that I have, and the paint jobs on both are fantastic. Minicomic Mer-Man looks perfect, and Aquaman's colours are sharp, as you pointed out. I'm glad to own these, it's a nice set.
    Mind you, if I HAD to choose, I would choose the green version of Mer-Man. But this is a much welcome addition to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    I bought these the other day, and I have to say I disagree with your overall analysis. I did own both figures already, but the new Mer-Man and Aquaman are of MUCH higher quality than the original releases that I have, and the paint jobs on both are fantastic. Minicomic Mer-Man looks perfect, and Aquaman's colours are sharp, as you pointed out. I'm glad to own these, it's a nice set.
    Mind you, if I HAD to choose, I would choose the green version of Mer-Man. But this is a much welcome addition to my collection.
    Cool. Always room for differing opinions! This set just failed to really intice me. The paint job on Aquaman is great, but the blue Mer-Man just doesn't do much for me.

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    I freakin' love that blue Mer-Man!! I wish they would release him in single card. I already have an Aquaman.

To me, this is a "must have" Mer-Man!!

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    The figures look good -- it's interesting seeing Mer-Man fully realized in blue rather than green. Plus with the VS Mer-Man being different enough from the regular Mer-Man he can easily fill the role of a different sub-aquatic Eternian if someone doesn't wish to display him with Aquaman.

Too bad Mer-Man didn't also come with his trident. I understand the reasoning behind the limiting of what accessories come with a VS figure (IE based on the comic/mini-comic appearances) -- but the lack of some accessories with still kinda bugs me (such as He-Man not coming with a Power Sword).

The Aquaman vs. Mer-Man mini-poster/artwork seems like a lost opportunity to me. Not that I have much in the way of artistic ability, just that there's a few things could have been done better even before sketching started. IE Poor choice of setting, why are Aquaman and Mer-Man clashing on the beach? They should have been battling underwater rather than on land. Also, I'd have Aquaman and Mer-man with oceanic allies -- such an enormous octopus for Aquaman and giant Eternian monstrosity for Mer-Man.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; February 8, 2011 at 04:15pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Dan,

Do you have the gold Mer-Man armor from the weapons pak? I was wondering how it would look with this new color scheme. Any chance we can get a pic?
    "Mind bottling, isn't it?"
    -Chazz Michael Michaels

http://www.patrickgarone.com

http://www.twitter.com/patrickgarone

Join the Facebook Group for my book, City of the Gods.

Heroic Warrior
    This Mer Man is awesome!!!!

Love the blue-yellow color scheme...

The biceps are reversed on this two=pack released Aquaman.

Another Mattel mess-up.

It really makes the arms look weird - especially when you try to pose him holding the trident with two hands.

This was a mistake in almost every pack. It looks like your sample, from Mattel, doesn't have that problem
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

This is the only two pack I have been interested in, I have my Merman displayed with his 80s head and didn't want two mermen who look the same except for a different head on display but this one being a different colour as well as having a different head looks interesting enough for me to want. Shame they are not for sale on Matty or outside of the US. Probably wont be able to get one for a sensible price which means I wont buy one.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    the 'blue" Mer-Man can be a lackey/generic mer-person.
    Does Galactus fart?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    the 'blue" Mer-Man can be a lackey/generic mer-person.
    That's what I was thinking, he could be a different character. Maybe Mer-mans slow cousin Squiddish.

I like what they tried with this, but the only thing that interests me with Merman is his two color sword. A two color Merman sword should be released in a future weapons pack…only with green as the second color to go with the original Merman release.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Huge custard eating power flaming_knob's Avatar
    Would this be worth getting for the Mer-man and also to use Aquamans trident as a "Staff of Avion"? To me it looks like a highly detailed version of it. Plus I like the idea of using this Mer-man and having the alternate head on the origional green coloured one we got.
    We don't need no education...

Yes you do, you've just used a double negative!

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Yeah, I kinda disagree with the feeling that Stratos with swapped wing/backpack colors is a "must have" variant, while a drastically different looking Merman based on the minicomics is an easy pass.

I love the colors on this sucker, he's very vibrant and the sword looks great with the blue in the middle. Plus as has been the case with every TRU figure I've gotten so far his joints a super tight and he feels much less breakable than any figure I get online through matty.

An all-around good figure. Glad to have it in my collection. The Stratos will be an iffy impulse buy when I see one.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Thanks for this cool review.

Great review as always. I got this set for Christmas and I have to say I really like it. Still can't find this one or the Stratos set in any of my local TRU's.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I like what they tried with this, but the only thing that interests me with Merman is his two color sword. A two color Merman sword should be released in a future weapons pack…only with green as the second color to go with the original Merman release.
    Actually, the blue & yellow set doesn't look bad on the green Mer-Man... but I'm spoiled with the gold set from the weapons pack... the yellow (either version) looks out of place after having the gold on him.

I actually wish they'd used the other head on this pack, though... I really like the one they used, so it's on my main Mer-Man, so making this one a lackey... well he just looks too similar, and I'm not willing to make Mer-Man's looks suffer for it. I may have to add an additional shelf for the figures in these 2-packs.

mer-man in blue = must have for me!
    nice addition to my collection.

even with the sale going on at toys r us i couldn't pull the trigger on stratos or merman
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Thansk again Danny, I have to disagree, I LOVE the blue MM, I'm gonna grab this one.

Like Hawkman and Stratos, I'd love to get these if my TRU carried them. It's not a matter of the product not staying on the shelves. It's the fact that they still have three or four Lex/Skeletor packs that haven't and/or won't sell. It sucks because I actually do want a blue Mer-Man.

I'm with you on this one Dan. I'll still get this set if my ToysRus ever has them, but I'm not dying for it like I am with the Stratos 2-pack. I have a DC Direct Aquaman that I like better than this one and I prefer Mer-Man green & with his original head. I do still love both characters enough to get this just for the variants.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!