Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattel needs to look at Tygra's wrist....

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar

Mattel needs to look at Tygra's wrist....

Just saw the picture of the new Bandai classic Tygra figure from Thundercats, and noted what looks to be a ball jointed swivel on the wrist, which would allow it to bend laterally as well as back and forth. I've seen this kind of joint on the old 12" Cy Girl figures, and, if it is constructed as it appears, it would allow a figure to hold a sword aloft properly, as a certain Eternian does during his transformation.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it. Since we got a new hand for Bow and Marzo, I'm really wondering when we'll get one for He-Man, and am actually pretty ticked that anyone else got one first. IMO the fact that he can't hold his sword aloft is the only thing keeping this figure from being perfect.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Can you think of a perfect way to do it, though? If that joint is loose in any way, then there are gona be a lot of ticked fans. I mean, loose ankles have already thrown folks into a fury. On top of that, any joint use in any toy will eventually make it loose (in most cases). I just don't know if I want that joint to eventually make his whole arm useless. As it is, there's not gona be any trouble. The shoulder and elbow could become loose over time, but those larger joints aren't as prone as a small one like the wrist. If that ends up being loose, then you've got a floppy wrist. I don't know if I've seen enough evidence that joints like that work over time, unless it's like a revoltech joint.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    I really don't think that more articulation in the MOTUC are necessary. If there were a ball joint at the wrist, it would eventually get too worn from repositioning, and then suffer from limp-wrist; I ask you, do you really want a He-Man with a limp wrist?

Maybe if it was a swappable hand. I like the solid wrists we currently have.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I liked that idea. Count me in.

No. No more articulation. It's just another area that we have to worry about loose joints. I have a handful of figures with ball joints, and about 1/3 of them are loose and have trouble holding up their weapons. And they aren't from "cheap" toy lines either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainboy View Post
    No. No more articulation. It's just another area that we have to worry about loose joints. I have a handful of figures with ball joints, and about 1/3 of them are loose and have trouble holding up their weapons. And they aren't from "cheap" toy lines either.
    This is what I'm talkin' about. It's very hard to get a small joint to stay tight over the years, and there's plenty of figures that I have from a few years back when everyone and thier mother was putting as much articulation into figures as humanly possible. The only thing worse than this was the stupid finger articulation in Marvel Legends, and some of those figures were somehow meant to hold accessories too.

Add in some of the heavy accessories we already have, and it's not looking good. I suppose He-Man could do it and hold the power sword, but no one else is really gona benefit (Skeletor would not be able to support that monster Havoc Staff he's got, for instance).
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I'm torn on the issue. Part of me wants the extra hand articulation, but part of me expects Mattel to screw it up and give us Hyper flapping ultra loose wrist joint action...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I'm someone who hates it when lines alter the articulation mid-line like what DCUC has done recently. I'd be ok with a variant He-Man and She-Ra having special articulation to raise the sword but don't want it expanded to other figures.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Maybe if it was a swappable hand. I like the solid wrists we currently have.
    A fan already did that for holding the power sword up correctly, unfortunately it was a small run and is sold out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajac71
    'Picture it, Eternia.......'

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    I'm someone who hates it when lines alter the articulation mid-line like what DCUC has done recently. I'd be ok with a variant He-Man and She-Ra having special articulation to raise the sword but don't want it expanded to other figures.
    I know...now DCUC figures have elbow and shoulder pads. So much for uniformity. I guess they'll have to go back and re-do the rest of the major characters now.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

You don't want Batman with double knees and elbows?

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Can you think of a perfect way to do it, though?
    Have someone other than Mattel make it?

I think the saddest thing I'm seeing here is the reason given by many for not wanting it: because they figure Mattel can't do it right. And there's sadly a point there. I have Mego figures I played with as a kid with joints tighter than the new MOTU figures. Being more Mattel centric, I can say the same about some Big Jim figures form the same time period.

EVERY joint may eventually loosen; with quality control like we see form Mattel, that becomes a near certainty. But I do want action figures, not stactions, so that comes with the territory.

Extra hands get lost or misplaced; a posable hand doesn't. To me, not being able to put He-Man in his most iconic pose is a problem with the present figure, nigh-perfect though he may be in every other way. It just irks me a little to potentially see the Lord of the Thundercats (I assume he'll have the same wrist articulation) do He-Man's classic pose better than He-Man can.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

You don't want Batman with double knees and elbows?
    Holy character refresh, Batman!

I'm not against changing articulation. I'm a little skeptical about changing things up when it's so far into the line. That's a crapload of new development slots--alot of characters that have to be redone now. And I'm talking about the major characters, not guys like Killer Moth. I guess if DCUC has the staying power, I suppose it could work.

I don't think they'd be re-done unless it's a figure like Batman, who could use that sort of articulation. I'd want it case by case. I don't need Arkillo doing Spiderman poses for the sake of uniformity.

I am for a wrist like this for He-Man, but I don't think every figure need to implement this change.

I don't think they'd be re-done unless it's a figure like Batman, who could use that sort of articulation. I'd want it case by case. I don't need Arkillo doing Spiderman poses for the sake of uniformity.
    I could easily see the big seven, Green Arrow, Black Canary and Captain Marvel.

I don't see it happening. Those versions have already been released. You can get away with it with the Bat family because there's so many costumes and versions of them.

I bet **** Grayson Batman for example will have doube joints.

Sure, the kitten's wrist is really cool but at least the MOTUC ladies don't have Tygra's hip articulation.

I don't see it happening. Those versions have already been released. You can get away with it with the Bat family because there's so many costumes and versions of them.

I bet **** Grayson Batman for example will have doube joints.
    Current Batman Incorporated Batman and Blackest Night Aquaman and Martian Manhunter, Wally West, WW's current costumes...I don't know if Superman's costume is any different these days.

I can see them releasing another GL with new joints. Mattel isn't a stranger to making new variants of old characters with minute changes.

Although I know it'll never happen my first thought when looking at the new collector thundercats was HA. Look at this, Bandai USA, a company renowned for making cheap rubbish is totally punking matty at articulation at a cheaper price point.
    My major gripe in terms of design that I've had with motuc since it's inception is the lack of double jointed knees/elbows and proper articulated hands...then here comes Bandai and is all like "Hey we hear you like articulation and stuff...well wut up!?"
    In my opinion these are features that motuc should have had from the start and there is no excuse for them not to have it. For shame mattel. For shame.

Infact I would totally be down with modding my figures to have this wrist feature. I've contemplated using small plastic hobby joint packs you can get off of HLJ and trying something similar on a trash He-Ro I have as a proof of concept.
    Always in the market for Painted Backgrounds from the Filmation MOTU + She-Ra Toons, Bravestar, Blackstarr.

I am very pleased with the wrists MOTUC already have. I think MOTUC have just the right amount of articulation all around. Not too little, not too much. Just right!

Quote Originally Posted by Jii Dee View Post
    My major gripe in terms of design that I've had with motuc since it's inception is the lack of double jointed knees/elbows and proper articulated hands...then here comes Bandai and is all like "Hey we hear you like articulation and stuff...well wut up!?"
    I would have never bought into MOTUC had they started out with double elbows/knees. . .HATE THEM! I've bought everything so far but there is a great chance I'd have to peace out if they switched up a big articulation factor like that. Yuck!

I don't think double knees and elbows on MOTUC would look good at all.

Too much articulation