Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about Matty releasing "first" and "re-release" big items together

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

How do you feel about Matty releasing "first" and "re-release" big items together

This month, we're getting "first release" Shadow Beast, and "re-release" Tytus, all at the same time.

I'm a little miffed about this. Tytus is the only "large sized" item that I've missed from the line, and I was hoping to get one on the re-release. But with the Shadow Beast coming out at the same time, I just can't afford Tytus as well (times is hard! ).

(Personally, I'm tied in to two Shadow Beasts through my sub; I'd much rather trade one in for a Tytus!!)

It's kinda annoying, cos other months there will be no large release at all; so I dunno why they couldn't have staggered Tytus' re-release to fall on one of these months. I for one and kinda disappointed.

Am I alone on this? What's everyone else's take?
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I've been lucky enough that I haven't miss out on anything yet, so in my case it's not that much of a personal concern.

But having said that, I understand where you are coming from.

I think the problem is just that at this point, between the oversized beasts and 'bonus' figures, there's going to be some extra item coming out almost every month.

Let's face facts here. The regular sized figures are $20, and the Shadow Beast is $30. If they waited until next month (when, if I am not mistaken, BA Skeletor will be released) you are still going to have an extra figure coming out. So, it would only be a difference of $10 per sub. I know that is a lot for some people, but it's really not a tremendous difference in price. It's not like Tytus would be that much easier to afford come next month in terms of what else is coming out for most people who have an issue with the cost this month.

The problem is that there is no perfect way to handle reissues. There's always going to be new merchandise coming out. And as it is, they are starting to release more than 1 reissue item at the same time since there are so many figures to reissue now.

The idea behind them is to give people a chance to catch up if they previously missed out. With so many new items coming out AND with there being so many old items that at least some amount of people missed out on, there's just not going to be a 'perfect' way to handle it.

Truthfully I would be tempted to take you up on the offer of trading a Tytus for a Shadow Beast if you were in the USA. I have an extra first issue Tytus MIB (I was previously keeping an extra of everything MOC/MIB, but have been gradually moving away from that trend), and I have one Shadow Beast coming from my sub, but I wouldn't mind having 2 to open and display, but I have no intention of paying over $40 to buy an extra one (which is what the cost will be once tax and the separate shipping are factored in). But, I don't really want to deal with the hassle and cost of international shipping, either.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Totally agree with you Spacedust. I need Tytus as well and thought that he should be re-released in a month without another large figure(i.e. Shadow Beast), that's why Shadow Beast was moved to February (i.e. Palace Guards in January). I also think that when he is re-issued that it shouldn't be with another re-issue. What if someone wants Bow & Shadow Beast and missed both Tytus & Keldor?!? I'm sure there are collectors out therre that need all of the figures to be released/re-issued this month. Looks like Matty is going from last year spreading out re-issues to this year doubling them up each month. I would much rather get the bumped re-issue of Evil-Lyn this month just to save a little bit of money.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants Sagitar, Lizard Man, Tung Lashor, Mermista, Sssqueeze, Ninjor, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    I feel overwhelmed

It is an awful lot of $$$ in one fell swoop.

I'm locked into 2 subs with Bow & Shadow Beast $100 before taxes and shipping. My electric bill wasn't even that high this month .

Then I need to log on to get me a Tytus, and an extra bow for my lovely wife who loves her some POP. Another $60 before taxes & shipping.

The T&S for both orders since they're separate will run about $40.

So I'm dropping around $200 in Feb for MOTUC alone. DCUC 16 just dropped too and that wave was about $120 shipped. Mattel is getting a lot of my cash this month.

Hopefully, other than the subs I can take a rest until Catra comes out in May.
    Up, Up, & Away!
    The Amazing Brian-Man of SpyMonkey Creations Inc.
    President & Founder of the Plundor Appreciation League

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
    Totally agree with you Spacedust. I need Tytus as well and thought that he should be re-released in a month without another large figure(i.e. Shadow Beast), that's why Shadow Beast was moved to February (i.e. Palace Guards in January). I also think that when he is re-issued that it shouldn't be with another re-issue. What if someone wants Bow & Shadow Beast and missed both Tytus & Keldor?!? I'm sure there are collectors out therre that need all of the figures to be released/re-issued this month. Looks like Matty is going from last year spreading out re-issues to this year doubling them up each month. I would much rather get the bumped re-issue of Evil-Lyn this month just to save a little bit of money.
    But the difference between moving the Shadow Beasts because of the Palace Guards is that the Guards were a new, never-before-released item. I understand and sympathize with the issue of too much at one time for those who missed out on previous releases. But again, there's so many different items both coming out and ones that still have to be reissued that problems along these lines are going to be more or less unavoidable.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Skip the Tytus re-release. Just save your money and look on the boards for deals. A lot of people were disappointed in Tytus. I just got one in the Marketplace for $40 shipped. If you're patient, you can find a great deal too.

Dan
    "I'm like King Midas in reverse...everything i touch turns to crap!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    This month, we're getting "first release" Shadow Beast, and "re-release" Tytus, all at the same time.

I'm a little miffed about this. Tytus is the only "large sized" item that I've missed from the line, and I was hoping to get one on the re-release. But with the Shadow Beast coming out at the same time, I just can't afford Tytus as well (times is hard! ).

(Personally, I'm tied in to two Shadow Beasts through my sub; I'd much rather trade one in for a Tytus!!)

It's kinda annoying, cos other months there will be no large release at all; so I dunno why they couldn't have staggered Tytus' re-release to fall on one of these months. I for one and kinda disappointed.

Am I alone on this? What's everyone else's take?
    I tend to agree with you. I'm also not crazy about the fact that they are re-releasing Keldor in this month either. I missed him and Tytus, but wasn't that interested in Tytus anyway. I was going to pick Keldor up but probably can't afford the extra. I guess if the stuff lasted longer it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
    Who has the Power?

I was lucky enough to get the first releases, so this isn't a problem for me, but I did think that with so many items being released, Matty is over-saturating a little, which could mean that the item are available for a longer period of time, giving people time to save up for a Tytus if they have to buy Shadow Beast too.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Heroic Warrior
    I think that this month there is a great selection to choose from, I might pick up a Bow and a Keldor... depends how the site treats me.

Don't really understand those who have multiple subscriptions crying poor, it was very clearly outlined as an outrageously expensive all in package.

I guess what people will have to do is if they miss out on a figure - especially one of the bigger ones - put the money that they would have spent on it aside until the reissue comes out so it isn't quite as big a hit later.

I know this is easier said than done - especially when it can be over a year before something is reissued. Maybe keep the cash physically in a jar or something so you can't spend it on something else in the meantime?

Well it only affects you if you decided never to get him since the last release.

If the first few months are any indication of how the schedule and "re-release" schedule are, I think it is great. One or two new pieces and 2 re-issue pieces means less time to wait for the next go around. With a larger re-release, maybe Tytus will come up again around the end of this year or early next year. AS long as things sell, they will come back...and the line is getting bigger, it has been 13 months for Adora to come around again.

It's one of the folleys of the sub. You're locked into getting whatever they release for the month.

They should have had different sub options. I probably would have got it for the 12 monthly figures and beasts, because I don't want the quarterly variants (on top of probably a few figures I probably wouldn't want from the monthly releases).

As it stands, based on 2010, if they were all in, I would have been lumped with the following I didn't want:
    - Battle Armour He-Man
    - Optikk
    - Wun-Dar
    - Count Marzo
    - Chief Carnivus
    - Gygor

That's 6 figures unwanted figures, out of 20 releases (including the palace guards). Almost a third of the releases if I was locked into all the 2010 figures like the 2011 sub is designed. In reality, I still had 4 unwanted figures out of 13, which is about the same percentage, but I'd still have paid for a couple of extra figures, including a large scale item, that I didn't want (and I still can't get rid of Carnvius... I live in Australia, BTW).

On top of that, I still have to order, outside of the sub, weapons packs, stands, vehicles, extra figures, and army builders if I want them.

At this stage, I'm very comfortable with my decision to not go in for the sub. Just far too much for me to commit to. I guess if you can't commit to all of it, don't get it. And if you do get it anyway, you probably can't complain too much if you get screwed by too many wants in a particular month.

Quote Originally Posted by red51931 View Post
    Skip the Tytus re-release. Just save your money and look on the boards for deals. A lot of people were disappointed in Tytus. I just got one in the Marketplace for $40 shipped. If you're patient, you can find a great deal too.

Dan
    I posted that in the Marketplace as well, but people want to make a $10-15 profit... why would I pay an extra $10-15 for something I can get from a company that I had almost ZERO doubt that I will get the product from and it will be in acceptable condition? It doesn't make any sense.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping out another board member, however when I can get the same product for $10-15 cheaper...
    Doc's Feedback (10 Positive!)

Awesome .Orgers!: bigassbuzz, brock_snyder, WDWFreak, madrage
    --------------------------------------------------
    Un-Awesome .ORgers!: Vorgon (impatient and unreasonable)

Enter the HYVE

I also agree that this is really bad timing on Tytus' re-release as Valentine's day is the day before and most of us in a relationship are already planning to spend money on our significant other along with an already semi-expensive month w/ the Shadow Beast and Bow.

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    I also think it is overkill on your wallet.

They should consider spacing items out. On months where
    there is just one figure coming out there should either be
    a re-release or bonus but not both. Especially since there
    isn't any combined shipping.

Hm, it's not really an issue as Shadow Beast wasn't originally even scheduled to ship this month, he was a January item that was pushed back. Anyone planning to buy both SB and re-release Tytus should already have half the money saved from January. So any way you look at it, things are financially easier than they would have been.

If they had instead say, moved Panthor UP to February, making you spend more money earlier, you might have a legitimate complaint.

i got an original release tytus and optikk (they came out the same month) a few months after their release on ebay for only $2 more than i would have paid on matty. just wait.

Well if I'm getting Keldor I'm going to pick up Tytus as well... no reason to pay any kind of mark up on it.
    Doc's Feedback (10 Positive!)

Awesome .Orgers!: bigassbuzz, brock_snyder, WDWFreak, madrage
    --------------------------------------------------
    Un-Awesome .ORgers!: Vorgon (impatient and unreasonable)

Enter the HYVE

Hello Everyone,

I am one of the lucky ones, who managed to get Tytus last time. However, I really think that Mattel could sell even more of each if there was some serious consideration done, on when to re-release certain items, including reissues. I would not have re-released an army builder two pack directly after Christmas, and I would not have followed that army builder up with an over-sized army builder (the very next month), and I certainly would not have added the over-sized reissue. I must give Mattel credit for listening and not re-releasing The Shadow Beasts the same month as the Palace Guards. However, but I believe Mattel could sell more product if things were spaced out more, and things like Christmas were considered more often when designing the Matty schedule.

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

It's gonna be an expensive month for me what with the subscription figures PLUS ordering Tytus because I missed him the first time around.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I'm not terribly happy about it, but I've had enough time to be ready for it. The part that sucks is that I'm not even that excited about Tytus or the Shadow Beast. I'm getting Tytus 'cause he's gona be more awesome in a pair with Megator, who I think looks way cooler. The Shadow Beast...well, I may end up sellin' him on here. I'll have to sell 'em to a person who collects 'em loose, though, 'cause I want to at least open 'em up and see if my mind changes.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Would have been nice for those that need it but I can't be too sympathetic because everyone has a problem that they dont neccesarily get addressed.

I want Zodak re-released sooner than later, but then again maybe I'm in the minority. I got Tytus already so I dont care when he's re-released.

Heck, frankly since he's getting a re-release he shouldnt have a jacked up price on ebay. People speculating on there about the original now know that there is another run flooding the market, so hopefully if you miss it this time too, you'll have a good chance getting it cheap.

I got both Keldor and Orko (non sdcc version) on ebay a month after for just a tad below original price, because I hunted them. You can find your Tytus.

I have a Tytus from the first release and shadow beast is in my sub so I am good to go. I had thought about getting another Tytus but instead bought my AT-AT walker I needed instead since amazon had it for a good price.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!