Thread: Can you Identify Ted Mayer/Mark Taylor styles in MOTU and other lines?

Can you Identify Ted Mayer/Mark Taylor styles in MOTU and other lines?

In the Roast Gooble podcast Ted Mayer said he worked at LJN and at Playmates - I can see MOTU influence in the Cat's Lair, Thundertank, the Turtles Van and some other TMNT vehicles, so wonder if these were Mayer designs.
    Anyone else identified Mayer/Taylor designs in the MOTU line itself or other 80s/90s toys?
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

The early designs are still mostly my favorites. I just recently realized how awesome and original the Man-E-Faces design is(done by Taylor). They say "it's all been done before" but Man-E-Faces really hadn't been done before.

Taylor's stuff seems to have an influence from 1950s sci-fi, which mixed with the barbaric aspects of MOTU is just really unique and what sets it apart.

Anyone have a list of known Mark Taylor designs? I know:
    Man-E-Faces

Man At Arms(I prefer the finished toy version to his original drawing)

Ram Man(who was cool in concept but not in delivery)

Beast Man(MOTUC "realization" is awesome, though I don't really like the face paint)

He-Man(though he seemed to be radically different from the original pic...was that Taylor's doing or someone else?)

Skeletor(Taylor seemed to do multiple versions right?)

Was Zodac all his? Because I never appreciated how awesome and Jack Kirby-ish his helemet is until about last year

Battle Cat(the armor design is incredible)

What about Battle Ram and Wind Raider? They both seem to have the Taylor feel to them.

I heard that Mark Taylor interview and he sounds like if he did it over he'd do it differently these days. That's too bad. The subtlety of a lot of the designs are what makes them truly unique.
    Born with a mustache in a Supernova

Bumping an old thread. This is what Mark Taylor did (that was produced in the 80s), as far as I know:

He-Man
    Teela
    Man-At-Arms
    Stratos
    Zodac
    Ram Man
    Man-E-Faces
    Battle Cat (saddle/helmet)
    Castle Grayskull
    Skeletor
    Beast Man
    Mer-Man
    Zodac

Ted Mayer did the following (probably NOT complete!):

Battle Ram
    Wind Raider
    Attak Trak
    Talon Fighter
    Eternia
    Slime Pit
    Possibly Blaster Hawk
    Jet Sled
    And others, I'm sure!

Which other toy lines has Taylor designed for? I've heard TMNT and Thundercats mentioned, but nothing official.

Can anyone help me out with this?

I've found very little about Taylor's career online, while Roger Sweet is a self-promotion machine!

I believe he did packaging design for Barbie before MOTU. He managed Hot Wheels after he came back to Mattel, but I don't think he was doing design work by that point.

I'd like to know more too

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I believe he did packaging design for Barbie before MOTU. He managed Hot Wheels after he came back to Mattel, but I don't think he was doing design work by that point.

I'd like to know more too
    The Power and Honor Foundation could probably answer these questions since they're the leading experts. Maybe send them a message or go on their website or Facebook page?

Will do! Thanks for the help.

Here is a Ted Mayer's portfolio video.
    You can see few TMNT drawings, he worked on the toyline from 2003, not on the vintage one as I know.
    At the beginning of this video you can see the brands for whom he worked, nothing about LJN...

Last edited by TOKYONEVER; February 9, 2016 at 09:34pm.

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    I don't know about other toylines ideas but regarding the boxes if I am not wrong we are still trying to know who is the drawer for some Motu art works right ?
    I mean some boxes are painted by artists they are neither Rudy Obrero nor William Georges
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> CA Heroic warriors He-man/Teela/Ramman 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> CA Evil Warriors Skeletor/Faker/Beastman 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> US Evil horde Hordak/Leech/Mantenna 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by bObA_fEtt_Ox View Post
    I don't know about other toylines ideas but regarding the boxes if I am not wrong we are still trying to know who is the drawer for some Motu art works right ?
    I mean some boxes are painted by artists they are neither Rudy Obrero nor William Georges
    Yes, I believe there is still question about:

Panthor
    Skeletor/Panthor
    Teela/Zoar
    Battle Armor Skeletor/Screech
    Night Stalker
    Talon Fighter
    Stridor
    Fisto Stridor

Maybe one or two others.

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Yes, I believe there is still question about:

Panthor
    Skeletor/Panthor
    Teela/Zoar
    Battle Armor Skeletor/Screech
    Night Stalker
    Talon Fighter
    Stridor
    Fisto Stridor

Maybe one or two others.
    Yes.
    I think a guy like you, so involved in the Motu history, will find these infos soon !
    I count on you Leech ! We all count on you
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> CA Heroic warriors He-man/Teela/Ramman 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> CA Evil Warriors Skeletor/Faker/Beastman 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> US Evil horde Hordak/Leech/Mantenna 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by bObA_fEtt_Ox View Post
    Yes.
    I think a guy like you, so involved in the Motu history, will find these infos soon !
    I count on you Leech ! We all count on you
    Well, thanks! I haven't unearthed much to date, honestly, especially compared to many long-time contributors to the community. Mostly what I've done is aggregate the information that the community has uncovered to date and kind of put it all together.

But this is a mystery I would definitely love to solve!

Quote Originally Posted by Tordek View Post
    The early designs are still mostly my favorites. I just recently realized how awesome and original the Man-E-Faces design is(done by Taylor). They say "it's all been done before" but Man-E-Faces really hadn't been done before.
    I'm afraid Man E is quite similar to BIG JIM's VEKTOR, with the face changing feature from BIG JIM's Zorak/Captain Drake.

Photo from sf1378's photobucket profile

I'm sure that including a character basically refurbished from their previous line was Mattel's marketing initiative as it is known they insisted heavily on including older molds and designs. Mark Taylor being a genius (and Mark T IS a genius), originally gave the design an Aztec reminiscence, keeping the yellow color from VEKTOR, but adding a poncho and angular faces, not unlike Mayan or Aztec gods. That design didn't come to pass, and the color changed to blue/purple but still MAN E is an outstanding figure that embodies to perfection the mix of barbaric fantasy/sci fi of the franchise.

As for Mark's designs in TMNT, for example, without knowing anything about it, some of the more weird/extreme characters remind me of his style, like Mutagen Man or Muckman. Seeing them in retrospective those characters are awesome and sick, like a mix of the Toxic Avenger with Garbage Pail Kids.
    Last edited by Super Amigo; March 9, 2016 at 09:34pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Amigo View Post
    I'm afraid Man E is quite similar to BIG JIM's VEKTOR, with the face changing feature from BIG JIM's Zorak/Captain Drake.
    Vektor is from 1984 and Man-E-Faces from 1982.

Heroic Warrior
    I was a big fan of Mattels Clash of the Titans line. In fact the Perseus and Pegasus gift set was my first action figures as a boy, (stand in for Mighty Herculese to be honest.) Online catalog scans of products for this line that, sadly, never happened, include a proposed playset/diorama. To my eyes, the art on the prototype looks very much like Taylors, in particular, the unreleased Grayskull mat. Anyone in the loop have any info on it? Heck, Emiliano got us the mat, if Taylor did Clash of the Titans too... "shut up and take my money!"

Quote Originally Posted by RATKING View Post
    I was a big fan of Mattels Clash of the Titans line. In fact the Perseus and Pegasus gift set was my first action figures as a boy, (stand in for Mighty Herculese to be honest.) Online catalog scans of products for this line that, sadly, never happened, include a proposed playset/diorama. To my eyes, the art on the prototype looks very much like Taylors, in particular, the unreleased Grayskull mat. Anyone in the loop have any info on it? Heck, Emiliano got us the mat, if Taylor did Clash of the Titans too... "shut up and take my money!"
    Hmm, that's a good question! It does remind me a bit of Taylor's style. It's possible!

https://battleram.wordpress.com/2016...ealer-catalog/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    Vektor is from 1984 and Man-E-Faces from 1982.

Cool use of the general MEF chest design though. It's weird to me that they were still doing Big Jim in 1984