Thread: I'm confused...why do most of the NA figures have two different names?

I'm confused...why do most of the NA figures have two different names?

Flogg is Brakk, Slushhead is Kalamarr, etc.

Why did Mattel do this? It's confusing trying to get them all.

One name for U.S., other for Europeans. But to the actual WHY...? That's beyond reason. Dreadwing and Shuttle Pod just for example sound quite English to me. Perhaps they couldn't copyright some of the names on certain countries, and while they were at it reserved a whole bunch of names for different market areas?
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

Interesting...thanks for the info!

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Since the majority here doesn't speak German:

The article does shed as much light on this issue as there is: none.
    It just goes over one or two guesses and shows that actually they aren't plausible (like names not all being more easy to pronounce for any European culture whatsoever - maybe some, but some others even more difficult).

Guess no one really knows why the names were changed, but they were - and not so little of them:

Personally in some cases I like the European names better, in some others the American ones - and it's about fifty-fifty!
    I prefer the European names Brakk, Kalamarr, Icarius & Tatarus over their US-names, while on the other hand I like Tuskador, Artilla, Quakke & Sagitar better than their Euro-counterparts.
    ...and Tornado / Spinwit - the names for him are almost equal to me, maybe slightly leaning towards Tornado, but that's about a draw.

As far as the vehicles are concerned - I don't mind either way, vehicles may have several names, that's almost common...

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

it makes them a pain to search for on ebay is all i know haha
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Heroic Warrior

Backstory on the multiple names for characters

Hi,

I'm just getting into collecting vintage NA figures. I'll be honest, I hated them when they originally came out and only bought he-man and optik. But, they've grown on me over the decades, especially the later villains like butthead, quakke, etc.

In looking at sales on ebay, I've noticed a very large number of figures have different names, even in what looks like english/american releases.

artilla - weaponstronic
    quakke - earthquake
    etc.

Does anybody know the backstory on this? I know that figures sometimes get different names due to language changes, but this seems to be a bit more than that.

Last question, why are there different card sizes for some of the early figures like he-man and skeletor? Which ones were early releases? Or, were these for different markets as well?

Thank you in advance for this info.

Heroic Warrior
    In Canada at least, for the same reason they called it a Chevelle in the U.S. and a Beaumont in Canada. French. I'm sure copyright, played in too

Heroic Warrior
    Same reason vintage Zodak is evil and Teela is a warrior Goddess in snake armour . Toys and toons are made at the same time by different companies so its impossible to perfectly match em up .