Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official Preternia/Powers of Grayskull discussion

I'm not really sure where he fits in but is Gygor preternian?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Zodak definitely banished/imprisoned all the Snakemen...but the Horde defeated them in that massive battle. Remember the painting? I have a picture of it I put together from the episode:

Not sure what happened after this though. It's in the Grayskull episode.
    Yup I do Right now I just finished the beginning part 3 so I have quite a ways to go before I get to that episode
    Quote Originally Posted by sephron13 View Post
    No, you could be right. Zodak went after the Snakemen with the Council of Elders (they were all in spirit form) and that's when he imprisoned them. If the Council were in spirit form (or whatever they became), then it was post-Greyskull's death.

However, it makes me wonder about Hordak actually defeating the Snakemen. Like, if he beat them, why was Zodak the one to imprison them? The Snakemen rose up again once the Horde was banished? Just kind of weird.

Yup, I remember (love that ep). Great job on the pic, too.

I still think Zodak may be considered Preternian, though, with his connection to Zodac, as his pupil. Zodac retained his human form and left to become a Cosmic Enforcer after Greyskull died, right? Leaving Zodak in his place. Or am I way off here?
    This is what I believe to be true, so that would make Zodac mainly Preternian and Zodak Preternian to the present I guess

Exactly the point I was going to add. Both Zodac and Zodak are Preternian, although they appear in every time since, I guess. Being a Cosmic Enforcer (or Mystic) has its merits! Longevity for one!

I am thinking that Gy-Gor will also be Preternian. I wonder if Evilseed will be as well...?

With much of his story being mainly revealed in MVC, I wonder if The Faceless One will actually be that old, or perhaps his fall from grace came during the Great Unrest in this version (or, more likely, before that.)

I am hoping that we see some time traveling on Keldor's part, though.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Exactly the point I was going to add. Both Zodac and Zodak are Preternian, although they appear in every time since, I guess. Being a Cosmic Enforcer (or Mystic) has its merits! Longevity for one!

I am thinking that Gy-Gor will also be Preternian. I wonder if Evilseed will be as well...?

With much of his story being mainly revealed in MVC, I wonder if The Faceless One will actually be that old, or perhaps his fall from grace came during the Great Unrest in this version (or, more likely, before that.)

I am hoping that we see some time traveling on Keldor's part, though.
    Gy-gor - I'm pretty sure as well. He looks savage-like...except for the armour. We have Beastman in the present, so he would take away from that, I think.

Evilseed - he better be. MossMan is. Ancient enemies that grow forever.

Faceless One - He WAS...will he still be? Who knows.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

When does Preternia end?

Ok...with prehistoric times...there is a point in time when that ended and "our time" began...it was when history was penned. Prior to any records...is the prehistoric time.

That brings me to my question...when does Preternia end? Gy-Gor...is he considered Preternia? Is he only considered Preternian prior to him being put in suspended animation?

I'm trying to display my Preternian figures together...and would like to know where the cutoff is. I understand that some characters may crossover (like Gygor), but is there a specific instance in the new canon that determines Preternia?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think MOTU is split up into four basic time periods, as far as we know.

The Great Wars
    The He-Ro/King Grayskull period where they fought the Horde and Snake Men. Grayskull dies and The Goddess splits the Power Sword in two, charging He-Men with keeping both halves from falling to evil until Adam shows up 500 years later.

The Great Unrest
    Count Marzo licked it off. These where the days of King Miro. It was when Keldor and Randor where like the Anakin and Obi-Wan of Eternia. This is also where Keldor turns evil, recruits the Evil Warriors and becomes Skeletor. I think the last Great Unrest part that we know of is Oo-Lar.

Present Day
    This is the time of Adam and Adora. The standard He-Man/She-Ra adventures.

The New Adventures
    This is after present day, where He-Man and Skeletor go to the Tri-Solar galaxy, after Skeletor defeats Hordak and turns his attention to the stars.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

As I read it in the new bio-storyline, I think Preternia is approx. 500 years ago from the 'present day' of Prince Adam as He-Man.

Personally, I think this 500 year thing is ridiculous as the Snake Men and Preternia were so ancient in the vintage mini-comic canon as to be little more than myths, if remembered at all. Imagine even less remembered than the Greek or Roman gods are today. So we should be talking 2000 to 3000 years ago, IMO.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

The Great Wars
    The He-Ro/King Grayskull period where they fought the Horde and Snake Men. Grayskull dies and The Goddess splits the Power Sword in two, charging He-Men with keeping both halves from falling to evil until Adam shows up 500 years later.

The Great Unrest
    Count Marzo licked it off. These where the days of King Miro. It was when Keldor and Randor where like the Anakin and Obi-Wan of Eternia. This is also where Keldor turns evil, recruits the Evil Warriors and becomes Skeletor. I think the last Great Unrest part that we know of is Oo-Lar.

Present Day

The New Adventures
    This is after present day, where He-Man and Skeletor go to the Tri-Solar galaxy, after Skeletor defeats Hordak and turns his attention to the stars.
    I can go with this..... Makes sense.

as far as the toys go, I'll be displaying them all together (once i get the shelf room to do that) as it should be. all villans on one side, all heroes on the other.
    For Gygor, he's present day to me, since Evil Lynn frees him & he joins up with Skeletor's group. to me, any character that's interacting with the present day characters is 'present day' to me. only 'dead' characters like Tytus, He-ro, KG, etc. are the ones I'd consider Preternian. Even the Horde & Snakemen are present day villans to me, since He-man & She-ra deal with them.

poor Keldor... he's automatically labeled as 'evil' simply because he wanted to unite the planet & have peace, but the racist eternians just hated him because he was blue & banished him from his rightful home. Keldor was just misunderstood. Deep down, he's a nice guy. He was just trying to regain what was rightfully his. Being the first-born son, he should have been king, & not Randor, technically speaking.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

My thoughts are that it shouldn't 'end', because it shouldn't exist. There has to be a better term for the old days.

I greatly dislike the word 'preternia'. I find it to be an awkward and nonsensical term.

I've noticed it hasn't been used in any of the bios, although I saw toyguru use it once. But I hope they've dropped that word entirely. (I know I'm on my own here, lol, but one can always hope)

In the MOTUC bios, Preternia is around 500-200 years prior to the "modern" era, which seems way too short for me. Having Grayskull, He-Ro, Wun-Dar AND Oo-Lar squeezed in within 500 years just feels ridiculous

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post

Personally, I think this 500 year thing is ridiculous as the Snake Men and Preternia were so ancient in the vintage mini-comic canon as to be little more than myths, if remembered at all.
    Exactly! That stuff should be depicted as having happened EONS ago!

~Penny~
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Present Day

The New Adventures
    Where do the events currently taking place fit in? She-Ra/Adora and several of her allies have travelled to Eternia, He-Man and the good guys are outcasts, and Hordak is on Eternia. In my own perspective, the New Adventures took place before these new plotpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    In the MOTUC bios, Preternia is around 500-200 years prior to the "modern" era, which seems way too short for me. Having Grayskull, He-Ro, Wun-Dar AND Oo-Lar squeezed in within 500 years just feels ridiculous.
    Really?

I don't care for the long years that separate the timelines. I'd rather it have all happened within 200 years.
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; July 11, 2010 at 01:30pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    In the MOTUC bios, Preternia is around 500-200 years prior to the "modern" era, which seems way too short for me. Having Grayskull, He-Ro, Wun-Dar AND Oo-Lar squeezed in within 500 years just feels ridiculous
    Agree about the '500 years' stuff. It's one of the concepts from the bios I dislike, and ignore. King Grayskull should be at least 1000 years before He-Man, if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Really?

I don't care for the long years that separate the timelines. I'd rather it have all happened within 200 years.
    Personal opinion, as with everything about MOTU canon. I always liked to see the snake men somewhat like the serpent men in the King Kull stories, ancient reptilian and non-human race would ruled and preyed on humans thousands of years in the past. I also like the idea of Hiss and his men being imprisoned for more than a few centuries in the Void.

Also, I'm not a fan of squeezing the timeline up so that there is almost "always" a "He-Man" character. I prefer is it's more of a "only in times of great crisis" type thing.

Heroic Warrior
    Here's my take on it, based on my narrative from the bios:

Preternia

From thousands of years ago, during the time of the Spider People, and the rise of the Snake Men, through the arrival of Hordak and He-Ro and the start of the Great War. A good end point for Preternia would be the deaths of He-Ro, Tytus, and Grayskull and the end of the war.

Dark Ages

The five hundred years after the end of Preternia mark the time of the Goddess, during which Castle Grayskull is abandoned and the various He-Men are active, and the Eternian Royal Family is established. The Snake Men also briefly return in this era but are defeated by Zodak. The end of this period would be the Great Unrest, in the years before the birth of Adam and Adora.

Age of the True He-Man

This era is marked by the defeat of Keldor, and emergence of Skeletor and the building of the Mystic Wall, the escape of Skeletor's forces, and Adam's re-joining of the two halves of the sword.

Didn't you guys get the memo? Preternia ends today at 12 midnight
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by DemoMan View Post
    Here's my take on it, based on my narrative from the bios:

Preternia

From thousands of years ago, during the time of the Spider People, and the rise of the Snake Men, through the arrival of Hordak and He-Ro and the start of the Great War. A good end point for Preternia would be the deaths of He-Ro, Tytus, and Grayskull and the end of the war.

Dark Ages

The five hundred years after the end of Preternia mark the time of the Goddess, during which Castle Grayskull is abandoned and the various He-Men are active, and the Eternian Royal Family is established. The Snake Men also briefly return in this era but are defeated by Zodak. The end of this period would be the Great Unrest, in the years before the birth of Adam and Adora.

Age of the True He-Man

This era is marked by the defeat of Keldor, and emergence of Skeletor and the building of the Mystic Wall, the escape of Skeletor's forces, and Adam's re-joining of the two halves of the sword.
    I love this timeline the best.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

The Great Unrest
    I don't know what "it" was, but Count Marzo is even more disgusting and villainous than I originally thought.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I agree with many here, specifically Demo-Man's ideas.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Wow...great stuff here!

I thought that I may have been asking a question that had a definitive answer that was common knowledge amongst the major MotU fans. I was leaning towards Demo-Mans but MGM's works too.

Awesome...just one more reason why I love MotUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I don't know what "it" was, but Count Marzo is even more disgusting and villainous than I originally thought.
    Who knew that Marzo had a licking fetish and that it would cause such an important shift in Eternian history!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Where do the events currently taking place fit in? She-Ra/Adora and several of her allies have travelled to Eternia, He-Man and the good guys are outcasts, and Hordak is on Eternia. In my own perspective, the New Adventures took place before these new plotpoints.
    Based on She-Ra and Optikk's bios, my understanding is that the new adventures clearly happen after the outcast thing in Eternia.

In She-Ra's bio, she follows Hordak to Eternia where her brother and allies are outcast after Randor's (presumed) death.
    In Optikk's bio, he allies with Skeletor after he defeats Hordak and gains control of the Horde, which I assume is after Hordak comes to Eternia.

The Great Wars
    Do we have a good feel on when the Age of Science was? As I recall the ancient Eternian scientists existed centuries before the Great Wars - but I also seem to recall the scientists were involved with the construction of Castle Grayskull.

Until the new bios came out, I thought Preternia pre-dated the Age of Science and that Castle Grayskull came long after Preternia. Further, that Castle Grayskull was one of the few remnants (along with Talon Fighter and Point Dread) of the devastation that brought the Age of Science to an end.

Now with King Grayskull being part of the Preternian era I wonder if that was also the Age of Science, meaning all the great historical events (Snake Men invasion/Preternia; construction of 3 Towers; construction of Castle Grayskull; Age of Science/Great War) happened at the same time
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Do we have a good feel on when the Age of Science was? As I recall the ancient Eternian scientists existed centuries before the Great Wars - but I also seem to recall the scientists were involved with the construction of Castle Grayskull.

Until the new bios came out, I thought Preternia pre-dated the Age of Science and that Castle Grayskull came long after Preternia. Further, that Castle Grayskull was one of the few remnants (along with Talon Fighter and Point Dread) of the devastation that brought the Age of Science to an end.

Now with King Grayskull being part of the Preternian era I wonder if that was also the Age of Science, meaning all the great historical events (Snake Men invasion/Preternia; construction of 3 Towers; construction of Castle Grayskull; Age of Science/Great War) happened at the same time
    You know, it's not explicitly stated in the bios so far, but I would bet that a lot of the advanced technology that we see in MOTU comes from the introduction of the Horde. Prior to Hordak's arrival on Eternia, the technological level was probably primitive. After he was defeated, a lot of Hordak's gear remained and was reverse engineered over the next 500 years, which explains why the technological level was always sort of strange, uneven and haphazard with high and low tech side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by DemoMan View Post
    After he was defeated, a lot of Hordak's gear remained and was reverse engineered over the next 500 years, which explains why the technological level was always sort of strange, uneven and haphazard with high and low tech side by side.
    You mean like a cool laser gun and a hook for an arm? If you have a laser cannon for an arm...why would you ever put the hook on?