Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official Preternia/Powers of Grayskull discussion

Quote Originally Posted by DemoMan View Post
    You know, it's not explicitly stated in the bios so far, but I would bet that a lot of the advanced technology that we see in MOTU comes from the introduction of the Horde. Prior to Hordak's arrival on Eternia, the technological level was probably primitive. After he was defeated, a lot of Hordak's gear remained and was reverse engineered over the next 500 years, which explains why the technological level was always sort of strange, uneven and haphazard with high and low tech side by side.
    I hope that doesn't end up being the case of how technology ended up on Eternia.

I always like the idea that eons ago, Eternia had great science and technology that was abandoned after the great wars that nearly destroyed the planet.

I always thought that the Age of Science predated Castle Grayskull. As Eternia is the center of the universe (or dimension) the planet itself is the power source and at some point, all of that power was channeled into a gateway which is where Castle Grayskull was built. Whether or not the Castle was the original gateway or not, who knows. But we know to control the power you need to control Grayskull.

In Adam's time - Eternia is on the cusp of a scientific renaissance, led by Duncan and other Eternian scientists. The secrets of the Age of Science are still being rediscovered. Reverse engineering of Horde tech could certainly assist in that quest, but I wouldn't want tech on Eternia to come solely from the Horde.

My Chronology:

Early Times

Industrial Age

Age of Science I

Great Wars I (ends Age of Science)

Dark Ages I

Preternia (King Grayskull, HeRo, Rise and Fall of Snakemen, First Attack of Horde)

Great Wars II (ends Preternia, death of KG, Horde Defeated)

Dark Ages II (Oolar, Wun-Dar, Tales of Zodak, Council of Elders)

Great UnRest (Miro's time)

Prophecy Age (Randor/Keldor conflict, Birth of Skeletor, Adam becomes He-Man, Adora rescued from Despondos and becomes She-Ra. Horde returns, snake-men return)

Age of Science II (New Adventures, technology rediscovered. Eternia no longer a hunter/gatherer civilization. New golden age of peace on Eternia)

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    When does Preternia end?
    When you stop believing in it...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    When you stop believing in it...
    So, if I stop believing...The Nothing will destroy Eternia?

I need Falcor's help.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    So, if I stop believing...The Nothing will destroy Eternia?

I need Falcor's help.
    Nope, you need to give the Queen a new name...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    My thoughts are that it shouldn't 'end', because it shouldn't exist. There has to be a better term for the old days.

I greatly dislike the word 'preternia'. I find it to be an awkward and nonsensical term.

I've noticed it hasn't been used in any of the bios, although I saw toyguru use it once. But I hope they've dropped that word entirely. (I know I'm on my own here, lol, but one can always hope)
    Yeah, I agree with that. As far as a shorthand, it's okay but I much prefer Ancient Eternia.

Official Preternia/Powers of Grayskull discussion

Preternia is my favourite era of MOTUC but it seems that the Preternia era has come under the umbrella of the Powers of Grayskull, which is fine by me, but it it such a huge timeline and I really look forward for it to be explored more.

Does Preternia belong under the Powers of Grayskull banner?

Does the Powers of Grayskull era end at the beginning of the Adam era?

Now that there are multiple He-Men does that mean there are multiple eras in the Powers of Grayskull?

Who are the characters in the Powers of Grayskull eras?

I came up with this less than complete list;

Era 1
    King Grayskull
    He-Ro
    Eldor
    Veena
    Hordak
    King Hsss
    Zodac
    Moss Man

Era 2
    Vikor
    Goddess
    Fighting Foe Men

Era 3
    Wun-Dar
    Goddess

Era 4
    Oo-Larr
    Skeletor
    Man-At-Arms
    Gygor

Do you have your own opinions about Preternia and Powers of Grayskull?

When I think of Preternia/Powers of Grayskull, I always think of the He-Ro days, back when dinosaurs roamed Eternia. The moment that the dinos go extinct, is when that era comes to an end for me.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Basing from original mythos; I've personally also always considered, that the "Powers of Grayskull" is set in the time of Preternia, time of He-Ro, in a time when there was high-techology (Three Towers of Eternia and Dinosaurs with technological enhancements), but then something happened that devastated the culture and way of life, bringing Eternia to a darker, more barbaric time. From that, with time we eventually get to modern-day Eternia and Prince Adam.

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    I believe the plan always was to release He-Ro in the Power of Grayskull line and I've always thought of him as a "preternia" character since he was around early on with the dinosaurs. So, I'm guessing they always intended to connect the preteria era with Powers of Grayskull.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Pre-Eternia was always the Powers of Grayskull era in the original concept, talking about a time thousands of years in the past where Hiss and the Dino-Reptilian kingdom were waging a war on Eternia under the watchful eye of the Nameless One (who was supposed to be Keldor). That's the way I still see it. Throwing in the other He-Men and KG just adds more folks you can display with that era, which is what I'm doing. Vikor looks perfect mixing in with an era pf bionic dinosaurs.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

what? no love for PreTernia disguise he-man? it is right in his name lol
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    what? no love for PreTernia disguise he-man? it is right in his name lol
    I LOVE Preternia Disguise He-Man

I did a search before I started my thread and I didn't even see this one, sorry.

So everything pre-Adam He-man is Powers of Grayskull?

I have revised my era list;

Era 1 - Preternia
    King Grayskull
    He-Ro
    Tytus
    Horde
    Snakemen
    Megator
    Preternia Disguise He-Man

Era 2 - ????
    Vikor
    Fighting Foe Men

Era 3 - ????
    Wun-Dar
    Goddess

Era 4 - The Great Unrest
    Oo-Larr
    Skeletor
    Blonde Teela (Sorceress?)
    Gygor
    Duncan
    Stratos
    Beastman
    Mer Man
    Goddess

Era 5 - Current
    Adam
    Randor
    Heroic Warriors
    Evil Warriors
    Last edited by TheFallen; February 24, 2011 at 08:03am. Reason: added PD He-Man

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I did a search before I started my thread and I didn't even see this one, sorry.

So everything pre-Adam He-man is Powers of Grayskull?

I have revised my era list;

Era 1 - Preternia
    King Grayskull
    He-Ro
    Tytus
    Horde
    Snakemen
    Megator

Era 2 - ????
    Vikor
    Fighting Foe Men

Era 3 - ????
    Wun-Dar
    Goddess

Era 4 - The Great Unrest
    Oo-Larr
    Skeletor
    Blonde Teela (Sorceress?)
    Gygor
    Duncan
    Stratos
    Beastman
    Mer Man
    Goddess

Era 5 - Current
    Adam
    Randor
    Heroic Warriors
    Evil Warriors
    again, you are forgetting preternia disguise he-man
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Heroic Warrior kinggreyskull2011's Avatar
    Hey guys,

Would you consider Gygor to be part of the "official" PoG line?

Also, I don't know much about Wun-Dar - how does he fit in to the PoG mythos and would you consider him to be part of the PoG line?

And...how many potential characters are yet to be released in the PoG line?

PoG is King Grayskull's era, 5000 years ago. In the "preternia" age, which I'm pretty sure ended in ancient eternia, not just a couple of generations past. Wun-Dar and all of them aren't PoG characters.

PoG is King Grayskull's era, 5000 years ago. In the "preternia" age, which I'm pretty sure ended in ancient eternia, not just a couple of generations past. Wun-Dar and all of them aren't PoG characters.
    Cool, I thought so, but The Goddess, Vikor and He-Ro ARE from the PoG line, yeah? And so is Tytus and Megator...?

How is Wun-Dar even connected to the mythos - wasn't he originally a bread brand giveaway character which was (like Mo-Larr) made mostly for fun / laughs? Or is there more to the story?

Where does Gygor fit in if he's not part of the PoG line?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by kinggreyskull2011 View Post
    Cool, I thought so, but The Goddess, Vikor and He-Ro ARE from the PoG line, yeah? And so is Tytus and Megator...?

How is Wun-Dar even connected to the mythos - wasn't he originally a bread brand giveaway character which was (like Mo-Larr) made mostly for fun / laughs? Or is there more to the story?

Where does Gygor fit in if he's not part of the PoG line?

Any info greatly appreciated!
    Except for He-Ro, Tytus, Megator, and the Snake Men(although I think during the vintage line they were supposed to be around during Preternia as well as Eternia's present), any MOTUC toy said to be from Preternia or labeled with a Powers Of Grayskull sticker are just retconned into it. The Goddess was basically The Sorceress from her first appearance in the vintage mini-comics(she was only green in her first appearance), but she was from He-Man's era(nothing was said about how old she was though). Wun-Dar is based on an urban legend that Wonder Bread gave away a He-Man toy with brown hair(since there is no proof of this mailaway offer, I think it's a made up story) while Vikor is a made up character based on a prototype sketch for vintage He-Man. The only other Powers Of Grayskull character is Eldor who, like He-Ro, had a prototype made but was never released due to MOTU's cancellation.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    would webstor count? he was around during ancient time before the snake-men came & killed his race.

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    would webstor count? he was around during ancient time before the snake-men came & killed his race.
    I don't remember what the mini-comics said about him but Webstor being around since Preternia was either an MYP or MOTUC bio retcon. Although, since Preternia wasn't mentioned on MYP's toon, I guess it would have to be an MOTUC bio retcon.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    its was written on the motuc bio i recall for the Webstor figure.

Cool, well basically I collect any figures that have a PoG logo attached MOC

...but if Vikor is based on a prototype for He-Man and gets the sticker, then surely Gygor should be part of PoG also??

Either way I won't sell my Gygor, but it would make more sense if he is part of that line...

And...since Wundar never got a PoG sticker, would he joining Gygor as an unofficial PoF fig or should he be put into another category / strand of the MOTUC line?
    Last edited by kinggreyskull2011; February 24, 2011 at 04:44am.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    again, you are forgetting preternia disguise he-man
    I have added him to my list

Isn't the Goddess PoG?

The Goddess is POG as well. She is the spirit form of Sharella, the tribal chieftess who also helped to mentor He-Ro/Gray, as we read in the original POG licensing materials. Veena would also be considered POG.

You also have entities that are basically immortal who were around since that time like Zodac, Zodak, and Mossman.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

The Goddess isn't PoG, she's a prefilmation character. She may have operated in ancient times, but the cosmic enforcers and Moss Man aren't PoG either, so it pretty much seems to be dead people from KG's era that get put in the PoG era with a sticker. Although PD He-Man gets a pass I guess.
    Webstor isn't ancient. His bio says he's from an ancient race, not that he himself is ancient.
    Gy-Gor is part of Skeletor's evil warriors, he wasn't made to be an ancient warrior in the new line so he's not PoG.