Thread: Any good tips on sculpting hair?

Any good tips on sculpting hair?

Does anyone have any good tips, know sites with tutorial about how to sculpt hair?

I am trying to make a Motuc Lion-O and have difficulties sculpting the hair.
    Is the a trick or best way to do this?
    I am using super sculpey.

My trick is layering and backing in stages. First I sculpt the rough shape of the hair directly on the head to get the size and shape right. You might even want to bake that so the rough shape doesn't shift as you sculpt detail. Once you have the rough where you want it you can start layering on thin strips and sculpting it to the desired hair texture. There are lots of different ways to texture but I like to use the bottom of my x-acto knife's handle to "roll" lines into the clay in successive steps. Easier to show than to describe.

That's the way I do it too. Layer after layer in small strips and sculpt the hairs with an exacto knife. I'm currently making a 200x Lion-O. Will post pics of his hair sculpt tomorrow.

What they said definitly for something like lion-o you want to have a under coat that already cured or hardened flying off to the side like it does then different size strips for finer details

Side note I like to use varsol over the super sculpey to remove finger prints and such with a fine brush .
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Thanks for the tips so far. I actually did the basic tipical Lion-O shape and hardened it. SO I figured that out correctly.
    Bu after that I get stuck putting an extra layer on and "pull" lines in it..

So an exacto knife and layer after layer? Not sure if I understand. WIP pics would be highly appriciated.

I'll make a pic of my KG Lion O to show how bad I am messing up now, LOL
    He is in the fridge.

EDIT: Here he is:

As you can see I/ He needs help.
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; March 6, 2011 at 03:26pm.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Thanks for the tips so far. I actually did the basic tipical Lion-O shape and hardened it. SO I figured that out correctly.
    Bu after that I get stuck putting an extra layer on and "pull" lines in it..

So an exacto knife and layer after layer? Not sure if I understand. WIP pics would be highly appriciated.

I'll make a pic of my KG Lion O to show how bad I am messing up now, LOL
    He is in the fridge.

EDIT: Here he is:
    http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/r...k/eba2ab20.jpg

Your fridge is very clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    I can't, really, cus that pic is tiny.

As promised, some work in progess pictures on a Lion-O. Note that this is a 200x custom and those figures have more 'french fries shaped' hair, so I sculpted accordingly.

I started out exactly the way you did, by sculpting the basic shape of the hair on his head. When that dried, I started adding loose strips (I use Apoxie Sculpt, my guess is Super Sculpey will work the same) so it will look a bit like this:

Then you wait a few minutes to give it a chance to harden out a little. Then, with a sculpting tool (an exacto knife works fine for me) you flatten the loose strips down a bit and you start adding 'hair' by pulling the sculpting tool through it, starting around the face area, backwards (like pulling a comb through hair, basically). Then it's just trial and error to see what looks good and what doesn't. Mine came out looking like this (nevermind the paint job, he's not nearly done, this is just about showing the hair):

Still not completely satisfied (there are some weird parts in his hear that need taking care of) but this is roughly how I shape/sculpt hair.

As for Lion-O, I had big trouble getting the shape of his head right because he does not have any ears. Neither does MOTUC He-Man, but at least He-Man has long hair going down, whereas Lion-O has 'manes' that go everywhere.
    My guess is your Lion-O might benefit from adding some sideburns or hair going sideways as well, although it's kinda hard to see from that fridge picture...

[edit]

By the way, if you make a custom Lion-O, this is an absolute awesome sword to go with it. It's just a little bit loose in a MOTUC figure hand, but looks awesome! I have one if you want to try it out on your figure (it's not for sale though, keeping it for my own Lion-O project. But it seems to be on eBay non-stop)
    Last edited by e-man; March 7, 2011 at 11:10am. Reason: additional info on sword

Thanks E- man!

You're welcome. Hope it helps you!