Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 86

Thread: Gwildor Arrival

  1. #1
    Heroic Master of Maturity SCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    7,709

    Gwildor Arrival

    I honestly have no attachment to Gwildor. Only two characters I care for from the film are Skeletor and Blade. So I felt being forced to buy Gwildor as a part of the sub felt like dead weight, however he did turn out quite fantastic looking as far as sculpt, detail, and paint. It looks like a real person, very lifelike.















  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior wundarwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eaton OH
    Posts
    1,658
    Man the pic of Orko with Gwildor makes me wish we had gotten a 200x Orko instead of the one we have. He is so bland as a figure Gwildor is amazing though. I wanted him as a kid but never got him. I can't wait to finally own him.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior retcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    Man the pic of Orko with Gwildor makes me wish we had gotten a 200x Orko instead of the one we have. He is so bland as a figure Gwildor is amazing though. I wanted him as a kid but never got him. I can't wait to finally own him.
    And again I say this supposed "classicizer machine" is more of the usual hogwash.

    They share absolutely no aesthetic stylings. If you didn't know better - you'd think they were from completely different lines.

  4. #4
    3D Tinkerer Zodac666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    336
    This has to be the best sculpt in the entire line. So looking forward to Saurod!
    Welcome to my Shapeways shop (Filmation inspired heads and accessories)
    http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eternalcustoms
    My facebook page:
    https://m.facebook.com/eternalcustoms
    Most Wanted MOTUC: Dragstor, Kittrina, Lizard man, Blast Attack, Angella, Dragoon

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    5,255
    He looks amazing!! I agree cannot wait for Saurod.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

  6. #6
    Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Front o' castle.
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    And again I say this supposed "classicizer machine" is more of the usual hogwash.

    They share absolutely no aesthetic stylings. If you didn't know better - you'd think they were from completely different lines.
    Yeah, this is happening with more and more figures.

    It's mainly when they have a lot of clothing. So maybe Gwildor has a very basic imaginary body, and they just detailed everything else.

    No excuse for his face though.

    It's also a figure not a lot of people where excited for, so maybe they over detailed him in that regard? If people think he looks cool, sometimes that's enough?

    Had the opposite effect for me on Blade though. I didn't like Blade that much to begin with, but seeing him over detailed just removed any place he had on a display shelf. Looks odd.

    Preternia however is a pretty sparse shelf, and I like Gwildor (the old figure, reminds me of a AD&D type inclusion) enough anyways.

    Still, looks like a movie release type figure, which I generally dislike.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior mjw41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodac666 View Post
    This has to be the best sculpt in the entire line. So looking forward to Saurod!
    Agreed
    Looking forward to the entire 2014 & 2015 line

  8. #8
    SoH Supporter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,736
    Holy amazing Batman! I can't WAIT to finally get Gwildor! He looks perfect!

  9. #9
    Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    8,950
    He looks GREAT! Thanks for the awesome pics!
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

    What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.

  10. #10
    Totally Dyslexic Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    3,126
    Reading through that thread and especially looking at the pictures i have to agree with almost everyone.

    His sculpt is amazing, more detailed than anything we have seen before and seeing him with Eldor itīs okay but putting He-Man or Orko beside him, he makes them look bad.

    I donīt like the character never have and this figure as great as it looks doesīt help me. I admire the details, his clothes look amazing his face and hair is spectacular sculpted and than i look at Madame Razz…
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither


  11. #11
    The Undisputed Champion TUC138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,619
    I never loved Gwildor in the past & I never will in the future ! I agree he is "super detailed", but that's not going to help changing my mind one bit. However, I am glad for those who wanted him.

    I do like his cosmic keys though...
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hey, I may not get my Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, or Sorceress 2.0............ BUT, Some Day.......... Somehow...... Mattel will give me the another variants of these same characters ! However, there is very little chance for your Kayo, or Calix or Vultak or any of your desired characters if you fail to support the 2.0's & variants in 2016.... or in the future !

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior invisibleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Utica, NY (CNY)
    Posts
    79
    I agree A LOT of attention & detail went into GWILDOR.....hey we paid A LOTY extra for it! I wonder what line he's from as I collect MOTUC figures & I think he's WAY TOO over detailed IMHO to be even close to fitting in. I would of been happier by far w/ a Vintage upgrade instead of a complete rw-worked "Jumped off the movie screen" hyper detailed GWILDOR. I never watched the film, I abandoned the vintage line b4 getting Gwildor, Saurod, Snake Face & Voids, but did GWILDOR have a bad lazy eye in the film too? That's a serious ?, NOT a nit pick. I hope he stays sold out so I can get rid of 3 extras & hopefully they bring in enough to cover some of the HUGE loss I'll end up taking on NA Skeletor, Flogg, Arrow, some POP, & some vintage duds like Rio. Have at least 2 extras of too many figs due to DR not cancelling the 3rd & 4th unintentionally bought subs that I deleted from my cart to choose Quaaterly to SAVE a few dollars (BUT got x2 extra subs monthly?). So, not loving the GWILDOR & especially his price!

    *My Short Review from the PICS: *GWILDOR = TOO MUCH Detail + TOO EXPENSIVE!
    invisibleboy - Unseen, But DEFINITELY NOT Unheard! Sorry bout it.

  13. #13
    The Undisputed Champion TUC138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by invisibleboy View Post
    I agree A LOT of attention & detail went into GWILDOR.....hey we paid A LOTY extra for it! I wonder what line he's from as I collect MOTUC figures & I think he's WAY TOO over detailed IMHO to be even close to fitting in. I would of been happier by far w/ a Vintage upgrade instead of a complete rw-worked "Jumped off the movie screen" hyper detailed GWILDOR. I never watched the film, I abandoned the vintage line b4 getting Gwildor, Saurod, Snake Face & Voids, but did GWILDOR have a bad lazy eye in the film too? That's a serious ?, NOT a nit pick. I hope he stays sold out so I can get rid of 3 extras & hopefully they bring in enough to cover some of the HUGE loss I'll end up taking on NA Skeletor, Flogg, Arrow, some POP, & some vintage duds like Rio. Have at least 2 extras of too many figs due to DR not cancelling the 3rd & 4th unintentionally bought subs that I deleted from my cart to choose Quaaterly to SAVE a few dollars (BUT got x2 extra subs monthly?). So, not loving the GWILDOR & especially his price!

    *My Short Review from the PICS: *GWILDOR = TOO MUCH Detail + TOO EXPENSIVE!
    I agree......... I can understand he is hyper detailed, but that's a silly excuse for price of $35.00 !
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hey, I may not get my Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, or Sorceress 2.0............ BUT, Some Day.......... Somehow...... Mattel will give me the another variants of these same characters ! However, there is very little chance for your Kayo, or Calix or Vultak or any of your desired characters if you fail to support the 2.0's & variants in 2016.... or in the future !

  14. #14
    Heroic Podcaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    IOWA
    Posts
    1,498
    I'm always glad to get more MOTUC, especially vintage, but I have to agree that I would have much rather had Gwilder less-detailed, much more 'classicized' and in a standard blister card for the standard price. As a MOC collector, that bothers me more than most.
    QUEEN ANGELLA! - BLAST ATTAK! - Buzzsaw Hordak - Dragstor - Flying Fists He-Man
    Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - MULTI-BOT! - NINJOR! - Peekablue
    Perfuma - Rotar - Saurod - SSSQUEEZE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - Twistoid

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    I agree......... I can understand he is hyper detailed, but that's a silly excuse for price of $35.00 !
    It's not so much the hyper detail that raises the price, but the fact that there is pretty much NOTHING reusable about the sculpt. At least with Orko, they could reuse most of him to give us other Trollans from the cartoon... But Gwildor truly is one of a kind.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior karg182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Midlands, UK
    Posts
    606
    Not much love for Gwildor in this thread! Maybe you guys were all too old and cynical in 1987.
    Personally I would sacrifice aesthetic consistency for this version of the character. He looks like he did in the movie (my favourite and most watched film of all time!) and to me that's awesome.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Not much love for Gwildor in this thread! Maybe you guys were all too old and cynical in 1987.
    Personally I would sacrifice aesthetic consistency for this version of the character. He looks like he did in the movie (my favourite and most watched film of all time!) and to me that's awesome.
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

  17. #17
    Angast's #1 fan Bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Windy City South Suburbs
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Holy amazing Batman! I can't WAIT to finally get Gwildor! He looks perfect!

    Ditto!

    I'm really excited for Gwildor. I never had him as a child, but always wanted him. I just love his character. He's a nice change from all the "barbarian" figures in this line.

    People complain about him being too detailed yet have no problems with a 200X Snake Armor He-Man & King Hiss 2 pack that clearly doesn't fit in with the line also.

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior Rodster6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,806
    Gwildor looks amazing! Can't wait to get him.
    I'm a big fan of aesthetic diversity in the line. Makes it seem more or a real, expansive universe with different looking characters and races.

    Gwildor fits in the line as well as Mantenna does.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    5,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Gwildor looks amazing! Can't wait to get him.
    I'm a big fan of aesthetic diversity in the line. Makes it seem more or a real, expansive universe with different looking characters and races.

    Gwildor fits in the line as well as Mantenna does.
    I agree with this.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior goluphi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,416
    Gwildor is looking awesome. Never realized how badly I've wanted a Gwildor for 25 or so years until seeing these pics. I'm always jealous of people who get their sub orders so early .

    That being said, I think people are totally not understanding what 'Classisizer machine' means, or what the Horsemen have been doing with the visual style of this line. It's not about making every character as plainly detailed as possible with no detail. They've had intricate detail right from the start, and all throughout the line. Have they gone overboard with Gwildor? No, I don't think so, it fits with what they were going for with this figure.

    It's about taking all the previous appearances of that character, mashing them up, and fitting them onto the Classics buck. Obviously, Gwildor is a unique sculpt, so he doesn't fit on the Classics buck, but you have elements from both the movie (head sculpt, staff) and the toy (color palette, handheld cosmic key). Sometimes they go further in one direction than another (usually when one look has never been in plastic before) , and sometimes when there's only one source to draw from (like Dactus or Madame Razz) the figure ends up being more or less detailed, but they've been doing that from the start.

    But Gwildor totally fits in with the other figures to me. The color palette, materials, paint style, proportions, sculpting style, etc all still say Classics to me. Sure, he has more detail than some other figures, but that's what the character calls for, and it doesn't stick out to me at all. I mean, just look at him next to He-Man in the pictures SCB posted, he looks totally right to me.

    I guess it just drives me kind of nuts that every time they release a figure with a little more sculpting detail, some say the same thing about that figure not fitting in (and then of course the figure fits in perfectly). Personally, I trust the Horsemen's decisions, and I think they knocked this out of the park.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

  21. #21
    Angast's #1 fan Bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Windy City South Suburbs
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Gwildor fits in the line as well as Mantenna does.
    Exactly.


    IMO most complaints about the figure are due to the lack of popularity of the movie. If he was a vintage character that wasn't from the movie, there wouldn't be so much backlash over the detail on the figure.


    Mantenna = Vintage character with extra detail is fine.
    Lord Dactys = 200x character with extra detail is wrong.
    Gwildor = MOTU movie figure with extra detail is wrong.

  22. #22
    Hero of Eternia zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    12,133
    Not a single PoP gal (nor most of the MOTU guys or gals!) have enjoyed the level of and attention to detail that Gwildor has gotten. It's admittedly a great-looking figure, but I'm not so sure how I feel about him amongst the 100 or so figures in the line I've already collected. He looks completely out of place and more like he should be in the 2002 era toyline! He's- oddly enough- equal parts a win and a fail.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

  23. #23
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,146
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Not a single PoP gal (nor most of the MOTU guys or gals!) have enjoyed the level of and attention to detail that Gwildor has gotten. It's admittedly a great-looking figure, but I'm not so sure how I feel about him amongst the 100 or so figures in the line I've already collected. He looks completely out of place and more like he should be in the 2002 era toyline! He's- oddly enough- equal parts a win and a fail.
    Yes.

    Put him next to Madame Razz, or Orko, or even King Randor or Wun-Dar...

    He's expertly sculpted, but he looks like a figure from another line. . I still love him, and highly respect the sculptor... But it's a case of him needing a little less detail (more like the vintage figure, and not like the movie) and many others needing more.

    Sy-Klone, for example, does not even look like he's from the same line as Gwildor
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  24. #24
    N7 Horde Operative hadley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    7,497
    I find Gwildor to be a "realistic" version of Orko. Orko was a floating t-shirt created for a cartoon that itself was created to be as cheap as possible. Of course there is not much room for detail within such parameters. But if MOTU had budget, we might have a guy like old Gwilly. I think it's ironic that his inclusion in the movie ultimately boiled down to the limits of motion picture technology and budget though. Impish troll with fancy robes and gadgets, low budget for a movie, high budget for animation cels. Floating t-shirt wizard, high budget for movies, low budget for animation cels.

    I'm rambling. I like Gwildor. He's my Orko. Orko bad. Gwildor good. Figure nice. Paint and sculpt make happy.

  25. #25
    USF Bull chuc98's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    6,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Gwildor looks amazing! Can't wait to get him.
    I'm a big fan of aesthetic diversity in the line. Makes it seem more or a real, expansive universe with different looking characters and races.

    Gwildor fits in the line as well as Mantenna does.
    My thoughts as well. Variety is the spice of life!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •