Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does ANYBODY think the chase figure is fun?

Heroic Warrior

Does ANYBODY think the chase figure is fun?

I'm not looking for bashing the person who came up with the idea, but does anyone like this chase concept?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

NOT. AT. ALL.
    And this is coming from someone who managed to get all of the others with ease. I just think it's a stupid idea, it gets people (customers with $$$) riled up for NO GOOD REASON and does more to generate a negative experience with the brand more than anything. I'm sure when Scott came up with it, he had all kinds of good intentions (it will drive traffic to the Matty site! it's a way to put variants out there outside the sub to generate interest!), but it has obviously backfired and should be a thing of the past.
    If the figure is produced and just sitting there in a warehouse, PUT IT ON SALE. Let us take a crack at them on a specified date and it will make people happy. I don't get how that's not a thing they are doing with these "chase" figures? Instead, trickle it out... have it sell out in 30 seconds, and make everybody who didn't get one (people who are already over the tired Matty shenanigans) hate your company ten-fold. Great strategy, huh? Pretty cool!
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    No.

To have something we want randomly pop up whenever and to have us take time away from work, people in other time zones get up at ridiculous hours and jump through all the other hoops for a FIGURE is unacceptable.

If "Early Access" is supposed to be a benefit, how about make it a benefit that actually BENEFITS us????
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    I personally don't like it at all. I hate having to lurk online to track down a figure. I actually still hunt down some toys in stores but i don't feel the same "thrill of the hunt" with these online chase figures.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

No. Especially not when it comes to an online only line that I subscribe to so that I don't have to deal with a website that seems to have more problems than any site I've ever been on in my life.

I enjoyed the process with Spirit Of Hordak.

It was a surprise sale of a figure nobody knew was coming. I thought that was awesome. After the initial sale, he popped up randomly for the rest of the year.

With the Loo-Kee & Kowl 2-Pack and Spirit Of King Grayskull, it wasn't as cool because there was no surprise. We were told about them and told when they would be on sale. Also, chasing them is hardly necessary now that we know they'll be available in large quantities at the end of the year.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Nope, sure don't.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

I don't mind "chase figure" concept , but at least make available to you Subbers!!! Come on now!
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

NO!!

Having to take time off work in the middle of the day to try and grab a figure that is sold out in 30 seconds is not my idea of fun.
    My MOTU most wanted: Skelcons, Lord Masque, Vultak, Major Header, Satma, Great Black Wizard, Slime Pit Bone Warriors, Horde Wraiths, Catra Cat Form, King Miro, Hunga the Harpy, Lady Slither, Mask of Power Demons, Red Knight, Beast Lord, Illumina, Lady Valtira, Crita, Old Man Marzo 200X, Teela 200X, Skeletor New52, Teela New52, Hans Hammer Holder, Robowoman, Despara, Bubblor, Movie Troopers

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I am 50/50 on it. When they did Hordak, it was sort-of fun. When he popped up, people began posting about it on Facebook and I was able to snatch one up. The Early Access, even though it sold out quickly, lessens the "excitement" factor of scoring one.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I don't.

(filler filler filler)
    GozzoMan, Heroic Cherry Picker

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    I'm not looking for bashing the person who came up with the idea, but does anyone like this chase concept?
    I think only the clinically insane enjoy it.

In the name of the Lloyd!

Heroic Warrior Bender Rodríguez's Avatar
    I don't think Mattel gets a good profit about these "chase figures", it's just stupid and just helps resellers to steal from collectors.

None of the chase figures have seemed all that essential to me personally (Lookie and Kowl I realize are essential to some, though). I had a few opportunities to jump on Spirit of Hordak, never really cared to.

I have to admit, it does get the blood pumping a bit to log in to EA a few minutes early, refresh the page, add it to your cart and check out as quickly as possible, and then refresh the page to see if it sells out. But I guess that kind of excitement comes with every figure that goes on sale.

It does generate some excitement on social media from what I've seen with people postings things like "SPIRIT OF HORDAK ON SALE NOW GO GO GO I GOT MINE." But, like I said, none of the Chase figures have really gotten me worked up.

But, really, you can't say it doesn't generate excitement, because it does, every He-Man forum on the web lit up when he sold out quickly.
    Last edited by SonOfHeMan; February 12, 2015 at 12:31pm.

Noooooooooo!

No. the "chase" as Scott dubbed it is absolutely my least favorite thing about toy collecting. the subscription was sold to us as being able to get everything, at least initially.

I think chase figures are awesome. With so much product that is manufactured in quantities that would choke your average elephant, it's fun to see exclusives and HTF stuff.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Not at all. I always thought the purpose of moving toylines online and utilizing preorders and subscription was to eliminate these types of issues that plagued retail and led to the death of many other toylines.

Honestly, what is the point?
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    But, really, you can't say it doesn't generate excitement, because it does, every He-Man forum on the web lit up when he sold out quickly.
    To me, 'excitement' implies enjoyment. All I've seen on the boards regarding the sell out is a lot of annoyed people.

I don't hate it, but I don't find it fun either. I would have preferred a "Blind Bag" figure...a totally random figure on sale from time to time that nobody would be expecting.

Yeah, planning a date with Mattel way in advance, looking forward to it, having extra cash on hand, and walking away without so much as a goodnight kiss on the cheek is always fun.

Widget
    Early access is for subscribbers to get these figures first thats the reason we sub so we can get first hand to exclusive. This is a waste of time money and these things kill the fun of collecting

No. I hate it. I subscribe specifically because I can rarely just drop everything at a moment's notice to buy a toy. At the very least, subscribers should be allowed to add items like this to their subs when they're announced.

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Where is the fun in the fact that each customer can´t get the items they want and have to go to a secondary market?
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR
    -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA -KAMO KHAN
    -GLEANONS -GALACTYMITES -METEORBS
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -GNOME MARZO
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -ORACLE -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2016 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Quote Originally Posted by byinfernoslight View Post
    To me, 'excitement' implies enjoyment. All I've seen on the boards regarding the sell out is a lot of annoyed people.
    I get that, I guess all I really meant by excitement is increased activity. It's definitely gotten people talking, it's been a little dead here for a while.