Thread: Catman

Catman

After seeing Busta Toons article on the main page, about Cat-man.

I thought it was a fantastic looking character that Filmation came up with and would love to see him as a figure.

Now before everyone erupts, I know it can't be done, but the thought I had going into this thread was, Guru mentioned we would get original characters in the classics line.

Would anyone be upset if our November figure was a catman type character that looked as good as Filmation's catman with a great bio that placed him with Carnivas, you know the Leader of a race of Eternian cat warriors, who has no one to lead.

I mean I know Mattel wants to get to all the vintage figures quickly, but I think having 2014-2017 being nothing but new characters would hurt the subs, and is better to start trickling these new characters in now. What do you all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are so many rich and exciting characters in the cartoon; I'd want to see them before any brand new characters are introduced.

As for Catman, he does look cool but I want Kittrina so badly at the moment...I think she'd be awesome and would prefer her as the next feline figure in the line.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    He's an interesting looking character, would certainly be a worthwhile addition to the line and. But assuming Mattel acquires the Filmation rights, they have a hurdle to overcome. Since 1963 DC has had a character called Catman and Marvel has used Cat-Man (note the hyphen) for various characters starting in 1965.

I doubt a new "code name" would be much of an issue though -- perhaps something based on the mountain lion/puma/cougar or other North American big cats such as the jaguar or it's "black panther" variation (although using "black panther" entirely would bring us back to Marvel).
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; March 12, 2011 at 03:32am.

As soon as I saw this guy in Busta's blog I though what a great design, I'd love a figure of that guy.

I like to see him in MOTUC as an evil Quadian character, an outcast, banished for siding with Marzo during the Great Unrest and attempting to over throw Chief Carnivas. He now travels Eternia finding work as a bounty hunter, waiting for the day he gets to take his revenge on Carnivas and the Quadians.

They could make his back story that he and Carnivas have been rivals since childhood. Much in the same way we have, Fisto and Jitsu, Battle Cat and Panthor, Zoar and Screetch, Stridor and Night Stalker, etc, this guy could be Carnivas's evil counterpart.

I'd go as far to say Catman is now in my top four most wanted Filmation characters after Shadow Weaver, Batros, and Kittrina.
    Last edited by 13977; March 16, 2011 at 12:23pm. Reason: spelling error
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    As soon as I saw this guy in Busta's blog I though what a great design, I'd love a figure of that guy.

I like to see him in MOTUC as an evil Quadian, character, an outcast, banished for siding with Marzo during the Great Unrest and attempting to over throw Chief Carnivas. He now travels Eternia finding work as a bounty hunter, waiting for the day he gets to take his revenge on Carnivas and the Quadians.

They could make his back story that he and Carnivas have been rivals since childhood. Much in the same way we have, Fisto and Jitsu, Battle Cat and Panthor, Zoar and Screetch, Stridor and Night Stalker, etc, this guy could be Carnivas's evil counterpart.

I'd go as far to say Catman is now in my top four most wanted Filmation charters after Shadow Weaver, Batros, and Kittrina.
    That's an awesome bio for him, and I would totally accept that. But that is not where I was going with this. My question was since we can not have filmation characters at all, would you guys be upset to get characters that looked as cool as catman, originally made by the Horsemen and Mattel thrown into the line here and there sooner than later. Or just have them keep doing the figures that we know.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Justice View Post
    I know it can't be done, but the thought I had going into this thread was, Guru mentioned we would get original characters in the classics line.
    When?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Justice View Post
    I mean I know Mattel wants to get to all the vintage figures quickly, but I think having 2014-2017 being nothing but new characters would hurt the subs, and is better to start trickling these new characters in now. What do you all think?
    I think that I managed to put together a character list for the 90-to-1 game entirely composed of existing Mattel-owned characters which would reach well into 2018, even including SDCC packs. And that list wasn't absolutely comprehensive - the only Vikor-style "concept" character I included was Demo-Man, f'rinstance.

In other words, even without Filmation/Jetlag/etc rights, they don't even need to think about new & original characters until 2019 or later. Nowhere NEAR "having 2014-2017 being nothing but new characters".

Even though I didn't mention it in my Blog, I've always thought this fellow looks like a precursor to the Krang, a race of cat-like individuals in the BraveStarr series...

They might have used this concept art to design Cheif Carnavius for 200x, just like alot of the proto/ concept art had characters that looked somewhat like that characters that came out (treeman/evilseed), (Two headed character/Twobad), (Dial a fetaure/Dylumug), Vulture man/Vultak), etc

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    They might have used this concept art to design Cheif Carnavius for 200x
    That's a nice idea, but I doubt this would've been the case - This rarely-seen Filmation material wasn't a part of the development of the animated series - Mattel and Mike Young Productions merely used material that I provided...

Hence how Count Marzo and Evilseed came to be...

I love this character and I know the perfect name for him:
    SNICKLEFRITZ
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    When?

I think that I managed to put together a character list for the 90-to-1 game entirely composed of existing Mattel-owned characters which would reach well into 2018, even including SDCC packs. And that list wasn't absolutely comprehensive - the only Vikor-style "concept" character I included was Demo-Man, f'rinstance.

In other words, even without Filmation/Jetlag/etc rights, they don't even need to think about new & original characters until 2019 or later. Nowhere NEAR "having 2014-2017 being nothing but new characters".
    Wow, so why would they even mention doing it, I guess that is a question I need to wright down when I see Scott in person at Comic Con.

I love the idea of another Cat/Quadian character, I imagined him as a good guy but after reading 13977's bio for him he would also make a great bad guy.
    I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.